Royal Horseguards Hotel London

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Luxury hotel along the Thames

We spent five nights at the beautiful Royal Horseguards hotel while visiting London and enjoyed every minute of our stay. From the moment we were greeted by the doorman to the day we bid them goodbye everything about our stay was perfect.

The hotel is a stately old building that has been updated with all the amenities you would expect from a five star hotel. The rooms were nicely sized and very comfortable. Our room was on the fifth floor facing the Thames, which provided terrific views from the windows. We would awake and look out to see people scurrying across the Jubilee Bridge while we decided whether or not to get out of the extremely comfortable beds.

Every member of the staff that we interacted with was very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The concierge was ready with suggestions for dinner and also had umbrellas handy when it began sprinkling as we were leaving in the evening.

We ate at the hotel restaurant One Twenty One Two on two occasions. The meals were excellent both times and though not cheap, were priced right for the quality of the food. Service was very good, wine list was good and the meal choices were plentiful. Would definitely recommend the restaurant.

All in all, I would say we were quite satisfied with the hotel and would stay there again without hesitation.

Directions: From the Embankment Tube Station, it's a quick 5 minute walk to the hotel.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Royal Horseguards Thistle Hotel

The Royal Horseguards Thistle Hotel is located right in the middle of everything you want to see. It is a hotel made up of many old buildings that were built next to each other. You may need a map to find your room. Here I am in the lobby.

Unique Quality: To phone for reservations from
    UK 0870 333 9292
    US 1-800-847-4358
    All other countries +44 113 2087980

Directions: Overlooking the Thames

• When traveling on business I...

When traveling on business I found the Royal Horseguards Hotel to be very conveniently located, just a couple of short blocks from the Embankment tube station, and also close to Charing Cross station. The hotel is in the Whitehall area, and while it has all the appearance of a traditional hotel, the rooms are equipped with many convenient touches such as ironing board and iron, two hairdryers, coffee/tea maker, in-room safe, modern and comfortable bathrooms.
    I think this hotel was about $150 to $180 dollars per night when I was there in 1998.

Unique Quality: They do a great traditional full English breakfast; and there's a very pleasant area just off the reception area where it's nice to have tea or coffee during the day.

Directions: The Royal Horseguards is at Whitehall, very close to the Embankment subway station.

More about Royal Horseguards Hotel London

Enjoyed our Stay at the Royal Horseguards

My wife, grandaughter and I spent 8 nights at the hotel the last of June, first of July. We were very happy with the room, large for 3 of us, and staff. Unfortunately the exterior is being cleaned so there is plastic over the windows and no direct view outside. We found this to be a very minor problem because daylight still entered and we didn' plan on spending our days in the room.

The hotel is located perfectly for reasonable walks around London and we suggest you learn quickly how to use the Tube since the Embankment Station is less than a block away. Once you master the Tube, there is nothing you can't get to in the whole of London and very quickly.

We strongly recommend the The Royal Horseguards and were very impressed with the size of the room and staff.

Scout out the hotels. Many...

by seagoingJLW

Scout out the hotels. Many are very old and not what we are used to. It is difficult to get a good bathroom ensuite in some of the less expensive hotels. In England, be prepared to pay a lot.

this is the Thistle's Royal Horseguard Hotel where we stayed the first time we were in London.

Terrific Location, older hotel, beware of street noise

by TripAdvisor Member smyle1

My wife and I just returned from London and our stay at the Royal Horseguards hotel. Having utilized this website and its reviews of this hotel in picking this location, I feel it is my responsibility to add my own review, thoughts etc.

We arrived in London on May 11th at 10:00am, after an overnight flight from Charlotte, NC. As is the custom in most London hotels, (as I found out later) the room was not going to be ready until 2:00pm, so we left our luggage and wandered around a bit. The hotel is located on the Thames River, directly across from the world famous London eye observation wheel. In addition, Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey are just a 5-minute walk to the West. Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus and Covenant Gardens are just a 10-minute walk to the East. The official residence of the Prime Minister, 10-Downing Street is approx 1-block away, so as you can imagine, security cameras are everywhere, making this area extremely safe. The Embankment Station subway is literally 100-yards from the hotel and I have to say, is extremely user friendly. You can get nearly everywhere that a tourist would want to go via the "tube" in pretty short order.

Once we returned to hotel to check in and were shown to our room, I was very disappointed. The room was old, and not up to the standards that I had expected. After reading numerous reviews on this site describing the hotel and its rooms, I thought I had a pretty good understanding of what to expect. However, as I discovered, the hotel is very old, and in the process of a major exterior renovation ( the entire front of the hotel is covered in scaffolding) I hope that renovation continues into the interior as well. The first thing we noticed was that the room was hot and stuffy. Attempts to cool the room were futile, as the "vent" fan was not working. Also the in-room iron did not work, and the room was much darker and "old" looking than their website photos show. Having paid for an Executive Double room, the second highest rate room below a suite, I definitely expected more. As this was my 10-year wedding anniversary trip, I immediately went to the front desk to request a new room. We had booked a weeks stay, and there was no way I was going to stay in this room for 6-nights. As the hotel was fully booked for that evening, the hotel staff indicated they could not move us until the following day. Inquiring why I wanted to move, I mentioned the above items, as well as the fact that the noise coming from the train station just below our room and the cars along the main street was really quite loud. Unfortunately, all rooms that have a "view" as ours did are located on the river side of the hotel and there is no way to escape the noise. If you have trouble sleeping when it's noisy, DO NOT book a room with a river view or facing the river. Even earplugs did little to mask the noise that first evening. Noting my issue with the traffic noise, the hotel indicated that ALL river facing rooms would have that problem, and that we could move to a room on the opposite street, however, we opted to stay with the river view and they moved us further away from the train station. This helped with the noise but did not eliminate it. However, this room was much more what I had expected. Large, very tall ceilings, brightly painted, ceiling molding, a thermostat controlled air conditioner (and it worked very well), marble floors in the bathroom, separate shower and tub, overall a much nicer experience. Why we were placed in the other room to begin with I still don't understand.

However, despite this room being much nicer than the other, it still has its own issues. There were numerous cracks along the ceiling and walls that ran through the molding, an indication that the hotel was still shifting and settling. Some of the bathroom paint was old and flaky, and the separate shower had minimal water pressure, despite having four additional side jets as well as the normal top one.

Breakfast was included in the price of our room and I would recommend making sure you get this as well. To say breakfast was included is an understatement. This is NOT a continental breakfast, but a huge buffet. Eggs, large sausage links, ham, oatmeal, fruits, juices, cereal, pork and beans, pastries, more than I can mention. Definitely a good deal and a great way to start the day.

Overall our stay was very enjoyable despite the initial problems. While I don't expect to stay at the Ritz, be aware that a four star hotel in London is not the same as a four star hotel in New York. The location is fantastic, central to everything and a great way to experience your stay in London. However, be aware that this location is very noisy if staying on the river side of the hotel. The front of the hotel, located on the opposite side, is very quite, void of any traffic or street noise and should provide an ideal room for those who like to sleep, although you will see nothing from your window but scaffolding.

I hope this review helps those planning a trip in the near future. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Great Location, Helpful Staff, Well Appointed Rooms

I wish there was a category between above average and exellent as this is where I think this hotel should be rated, but it was much closer to excellent than above average for us. We stayed May 22 - 24 and had two large, well appointed rooms with interior courtyard view that was not very attractive but also not important enough to us to upgrade. I strongly recommend the Royal Horseguards based on my experiences as follows. First, location is great, a 5 minute walk to either Tralfagar Square or Westminister or the London double-decker sightseeing buses (recommended) and 2 minute walk to Royal Horseguards, Downing street. Second, the rooms were wonderful. The rooms we had (1 twin, 1 triple) were very large by UK standards, finely appointed with two comfortable beds, love seat, coffe table, desk, marble bath, mini-frig, coffee maker, heated towel racks,room safe, and luxurious matching drapes and bed coverlets. There were little things that might annoy some such as chipped paint on some of the wood waste baskets and wood trim in the bathroom, although I thought this minor given the ambiance of this older hotel. Third, the staff was very friendly and helpful to my family. Fourth, the buffet breakfast served every morning was excellent. FYI, they're renovating the exterior so there is scaffolding blocking a nice view of the exterior. The only negative was that during our stay in London, a black trael wallet with our airline tickets disappeared. I am not 100% certain whether the theft occurred at the hotel or on my way to the hotel when I was overburdened with luggage, however a CD player disappeared from the 2nd room which makes me more suspicious that there may be a thief among the room staff. After the incident, I put everything of value in the room safe and never had any other problem. I would strongly recommend the Royal Horseguards to visitors and intend to stay with them again the next time I visit London. I booked my rooms directly through the Thistle Hotel website as Thistle hotels guarantee the same low web rate available from other website sites (I double checked and they were the same rates offered by Expedia).

Great location. Good value, good service, good food

by TripAdvisor Member clongwor

This hotel is great. You wouldn't believe how close it is to all the action, yet how quiet it is and uncrowded. We get to London 3 or 4 times a year and have stayed at the Royal Horseguards for the past 5 or 6 years.
If you don't like your room, ask to change it. And for a price (we're cheap, but we always spring for this) you can get a room with a river view. Sometimes it's even a suite!
Great buffet. Nice dining room. Nice room service. All the amenities. If you go on a package tour, you might get an inside room that's on the small side, but I would go and pay the extra for the river view rooms. Some of the bathrooms even have a view!
If you're looking for great location, reasonable price for a really nice place...look no further!

Fantastic hotel

EASTER 2004 IN LONDONWe have just had a wonderful stay at The Royalhorse Guards hotel London. The hotel room overlooked the Thames,and from the sitting room we could see St Pauls cathedral, and the millennium wheel,both of which looked fantastic in the night sky.excellent service. excellent location "BEST IN LONDON". excellent value for money.FANTASTIC EASTER BREAK FOR OUR FAMILY

Eye Eye

by TripAdvisor Member pascha

My friend and I stayed at the hotel in March. Initially they could not give us the non-smoking room, with a river view, that we had booked but offered us an upgrade to a deluxe smoking room on one of the higher floors. We went to inspect. There was a river view - if you were over 7 ft tall! We didn't accept and eventually were offered a lovely room with a superb view, through french windows, over the landscaped gardens and the Thames towards the Eye. Unfortunately, due to Health and Safety, the windows could not be opened. The bathroom was small and a little tatty. However, the staff were very friendly, the restaurant spotless and the food superb. All in all, it is great value for money and an excellent location.

Royal HorseguardsRoyal Horseguards

Royal Horseguards or The St. Giles?

by RumRunner

Ok, I know these two hotels couldn't be more opposite. The only things in common are they both are in good locations, breakfast is included, they both have a gym and both are offering great deals right now. I am booked at both places right now but can cancel either one without penalty. Royal Horseguards is offering a deal of about $1800 for my 8-night stay and St. Giles is offering a deal of about $1300 for the stay. $500 is a lot of money but I need to decide how much my comfort is worth. Everyone says you won't be in the room much but I do want to sleep comfortably at night. Royal Horseguards is a 5-star and St. Giles is a 3-star. RH has great reviews, St. Giles has mixed and lower reviews. What do you seasoned travelers think?

Amy

Re: Royal Horseguards or The St. Giles?

by jellsey

Hey Rumrunner,

I would stick to St. Giles....perfect location, currently a good deal and not shabby. Like you say 500 is alot of cash!!!

Have a good one, Jellsey!!

by robine

I've stayed in the St Giles, but not Horseguards. Conveniently located, but very small rooms (it's a converted YMCAS hostel!) US$1300 sounds like quite a lot to me: it might be worth your while searching a bit more for special deals. There are websites suggested in a recent strand here.

by RumRunner

This is for the "superior" room with breakfast included for 8 nights for a double room for single occupancy. The rates for the "standard" single room were about 10-15 pounds cheaper per night. I booked the superior since I was told it was larger than the standard room. I'm not looking for a palace but having somewhere to put your suitcase would be nice. I read many of the reviewers saying there was no where to put a suitcase in a standard room.

by leffe3

In the standard rooms at the St Giles you can open the door, turn the taps on in the bathroom and open the curtains - without ever having to get out of bed! Great location though.

by RumRunner

Oh boy, that sounds clausterphobic. They told me the Superior room was "far larger" than a standard room. I hope so!

by leffe3

Claustrophobic it certainly is :) We used to use it for work. Some people loved staying there because of its location and didn;t mind the room being so small - argument being that they went there just to sleep. Others hated it!

Depends on if you want a room with some space. You may be able to get better deals though somewhere between the two. Depends on priority. I recently stayed at the Royal Lancaster when passing through London - paid approx US$120 per night for 3 nights. Its a nice enough hotel without being stunning - the thing I loved about it was that you could walk out of the hotel straight into Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. And Lancaster Gate Tube is underneath the hotel, so easy to get into central London.

Comments