Royal National Hotel

Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 22% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Do you want a Basic Hotel

We have just come back from a weekend away in London staying at this hotel. If you want a very basic hotel with a crap breakfast then this is for you. We were very disappointed. the hotel is huge on 8 floors. The check in time was 2pm so we arrived just before got sorted with the room etc, and was told about the free 3 course evening meal and the free breakfasts. We went up to the room by the lift and arrived at the room only too find that it was still dirty from the last people all the bedding was on the floor and was not even ready for us, so we went back down again, complained, which got us nowhere, and was told we would have to wait for the room to be cleaned. Eventually this was done. The rooms are very basic with a TV and Tea & coffee making facilities, but all powdered crap. In the evening we went down to the restaurant to get our free meal, well we walked in and walked out again, thats how good it looked. We went around the corner and we ate in the London Poppadum Express place instead which was great. Please do not go to this hotel if you are looking for a nice hotel, it is full of foreign students, and this is what it is a student hostel.

Unique Quality: NONE

• good location

i stayed over the new year with my daughter and on arrival was met by long queues to check in (took about an hour to get to the front of the queue). the room was small but comfortable. the breakfast staff were friendly and the food was ok. i found the reception staff unhelpful to the point of rudeness but put this down to the hundreds of people milling around the hotel all day. The hotel is very impersonal however that is mainly due i think to the size. On the plus side it is in a good location and handy for Euston station and within walking distance of the thames, bond street etc. The hotel suited my needs however i would not stay there again as it is too noisy and crowded with too few amenities for the number of guests. unfortunately i left some belongings in my room and when i contacted the hotel i was confused by the member of staff i spoke to. i just hope i get my belongings back when i send a prepaid envelope.

if you want a good location then stay at the Royal but if you want peace and quiet then this is not the hotel for you

Unique Quality: good location

Directions: five minutes walk from Euston station, near russell square

• What a dump!

The hallways are dirty. Someone vomited in the hall on our floor and it was still there several days later when we left. We had to change our room 3 times. We had booked it through BA Holidays and I expected more considering the source. The location was good, very close to the Russell Square Underground station. The breakfast was simple, but not bad. The rooms were good size, but dirty. The shower head was at just right level, it you were 4 feet tall. This place should be avoided.

Directions: Russell Square

• Do not come here

The shower wasn't working, an wasn't fixed until we complained several times. When it was working it changed from cold to hot to cold quickly and scalded some of my friends from an unexpected blast of hot water. The pressure was so high that it blasted one of my friends off of their feet. The beds were uncomfortable so my friends went sleepless. It was meant to bee a three-bedroomed room but they gave us two + a camp bed. The sausages were uncooked and one of my friends became ill. We couldn't have a hot breakfast (just as well, it probably was raw) so we had to have cold toast.

Unique Quality: It was outstanding in its rubbishness. Never seen a hotel so bad.

Directions: ?

• Kumarjit's Profile Photo

Comfortable Accommodation at reasonable rates

Want to explore London? Then don't think of any accommodation other than Royal National Hotel.The hotel offers the ideal base for those who are visiting London for the first time and would like to explore the city to heart's content. The first thing that strikes about Royal National is its size. The hotel is huge having around 1400 rooms, with telephone, radio, TV and even safes! Some of them also have facilities of making coffee and tea. It has single rooms, double rooms, twins for sole use and triple rooms. The hotel has a Chinese cuisine restaurant, coffee shop and a pub.

Unique Quality: The location is perhaps one of the best in London. Apart from that you get a very good accommodation at very reasonable rates.

Directions: It is very near to Russell Square and the British Museum. You can also enter the Hotel from Southampton Row. The famous river, Thames, is just a 15 mins. walk from the hotel.

• Unless you are young and drunk, avoid!

We just recently stayed at the Royal National Hotel. Our first night was uneventful.

The second night we were there, was a pure nightmare! My wife was not feeling well, so we turned in early, since we wanted to get up early the next day and get going. About 10:00, a band started their post-show party. They were staying in 3 or 4 rooms around us. In and out of the rooms, slamming doors, talking in the hallways (Walls are paper thin in this hotel). About midnight, we finally called the front desk. They said they would look into it. At 1:00 am, I went down to the desk, and all they would do about it was move us to a different room. So we moved. We were moved to the first floor into a room on the main courtyard...2:00 am, all the screamming, drunken pubbers start raising all kinds of hell in the courtyard, and it just echoes...After a half hour of this, went down and had to be moved again. The management never even stepped outside to try and quiet them.

When we checked out, they did not even ask us how our stay was. I guess they have learned not to ask that question.

So, unless you are young and looking for a 24 hour party, I would find another place.

Unique Quality: The only positive about this hotel, was by London standards, the rooms were of a nice size and were comfortable.

• Not a good Experience

A shocking experience! First, on arrival we find a large piece of exrement in the toilet, presumably from the previous occupant. Second, the bedspread has a huge clearly visible stain on it. I don't want to guess what it was. I complained and we were given a different room - different but really not much better. The hotel is built around 4 sides so all rooms overlook the hotel's square courtyard and entrance. On the corner is a pub and below hotel windows, a 'meeting place'. Result? Don't expect to sleep between say 10pm to 4am because of horrendous noise, screams, shouting, etc. Breakfast time...Breakfast room supervisor comes screaming hysterically toward my wife and I (a la Basil Fawlty without the humour). Apparently we have 'the wrong colour trays' (?!). Other staff and guests look on stunned. Stay here at your peril, I kid you not.

• redhotwax's Profile Photo

A real dump!

This place should be avoided! It's got a good location, near the tube, but it's too big and way too noisy!

Small rooms, and when somebody walks by on the corridor, you can pretty much hear what they're saying, not even mentioning the paperthin walls between the rooms. If you're booked on the road side, good luck trying to sleep.

As with all London hotels, grossly overpriced and not worth it at all! Avoid this if you can.

• enzhu's Profile Photo

small, expensive but convenient accommodation

The hotel is really very basic. The room is very small, two twin beds and a TV on desk. That's almost every you will get for 85 pounds per day. For me I think it's a big price, but I'm not sure how it compares with other hotels in London. The building is huge!!! There are so many small rooms close next to each other, it makes me feel depressed walking there. When we checked in around 3pm, the hall is full of people, I have never seen any hotel like that before. They offer a free continental breakfast, however I think it's the worst breakfast I ever had.

Unique Quality: The hotel is very convenient. It's walking distance to the British Museum. It's also close to the tube which direct comes from London Heathrow airport. Since it's in Zone 1, you may also buy a one day pass for Zone1 and Zone2 which costs 4.7 pounds and can lead you to most sightsees in London.

Directions: Take P tube from Heathrow airport to Russell square.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Handy for getting about and reasonable price!

Just booked this hotel at short notice, from VT tips.
    I was swayed by the price and location £66 single room near Russel Sq tube stn, as we'd arrived @ St Pancras, and our conference was a couple of mins away, it sounded ideal so I booked! I then read the comments from other VTers who'd stayed, and felt a bit worried, Scruffy/shabby/noisy were a few of the comments!

Well. we booked in, had a bit of a wait as a Japanese tour bus had just pulled in, but another desk soon opened and within a few mins, we were being sorted out with keys etc by a friendly, efficient member of staff.

When I eventually got into my room, it was warm, clean and comfortable, with the choice of 3 beds!

En suite bathroom, TV, tea tray etc.
    Full English Breakfast, newspaper etc!

Bar downstairs was bit noisy, there's The London Pub, slightly off site too! which I believe serves food..

Euro Supermarket opposite which appeared to be open til at least midnight, and opened @ 0700hrs, for food, cigs, alcohol etc.

Shops in the foyer for tacky souvenirs, essentials, and clothing. Booth to buy sightseeing tours or tickets for West End Shows

Unique Quality: Ideally placed for sightseeing, nearby tube station, sightseeing tours stop outside, bus route to/from Heathrow.

Good Value for money

• mop15018's Profile Photo

A good price and a central location

A big and busy hotel with small rooms.

Unique Quality: In a central place with a nice dining room. A good price for a London Hotel.

Directions: In a central place, near russel square, the British Museum and several restaurants

• Great value

I booked the Royal National through BA Holidays, being that I am a student, I was looking for a good deal, and decided on the Royal National over a hostel since it was only a few dollars more expensive.

However, I later read reviews that portrayed the hotel as being a dump. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. The hotel is very busy, but the room I was given was nice and clean and comfortable. I have no complaints about the room, in fact I was given two beds, when I only needed one, so that was nice.

Free breakfast is given, it's simple, but it's nice to have it. The location of the hotel is a great plus, and considering how expensive London is, I was really happy to get my own hotel room for such a good price in such a great location. It's located only a few minutes from the Tube, and you can even walk to the Thames in 20 minutes.

Unique Quality: Great location

Directions: Take the Tube to Russell Square on the Piccadilly Line, after exiting, make a left, and then go right up Southampton Row, you will see it's large sign on the left side of the street.

• abzolut's Profile Photo

Shocked by the power of...

I booked this Hotel via BA hotel offer.
    It is supposed to be one of BA's favorite choice. We stayed there last month (nov 2003) for a day and it was like a dump!
    this place need a renovation!
    Too Buzy at the lobby and noisy as well!!
    I just dont get it why BA chose this hotel atstheir fav?? And it's not cheap either 90 euro per room for double! It makes YMCA looks..err cheap!
    Suggestion: we prefer B&B London Hotel

Unique Quality: can i consider sliding a key card to open teh door instead of using key unique??

Directions: hail a cab to hotel

• S_R_NAIDU's Profile Photo

ROYAL NATIONAL HOTEL - This 6...

ROYAL NATIONAL HOTEL - This 6 floor hotel is the largest in Central London and offers an ideal base for those who want to explore London. Set between some of London's beautiful garden squares, it is within walking distance of:

Covent Garden, Oxford Street, London's Theatre Land, Piccadilly Circus. There is also easy access to all of London's public transportation systems:
    Russell Square underground station connects directly to Heathrow airport.
    The Heathrow airbus stops in the hotel courtyard.
    Taxis drive into the hotel courtyard.

Mainline railway stations are nearby - Euston, St Pancras, Kings Cross.
    All bedrooms are equipped with: En suite bathroom, Satellite TV & Radio, Direct dial telephone and Tea/coffee making facilities. There is a Pavilion Bar, Self Service Restaurant, Gift shops, a bureau de change, a variety of bars and restaurants, including a Chinese restaurant and a traditional English pub. Health Club with swimming pool facilites are avaliable.
    Single: £ 66
    Double/Twin: £ 84
    Triple: £101 (Price includes a Continental Breakfast and VAT.)

Unique Quality: A three star hotel. Fairly reasonably priced. Self service breakfast at room level. Mostly budget travellers book in and find the location very convenient.

• O.KATALINA's Profile Photo

Royal National Hotel.

Unique Quality: This is a no frills hotel with adequate facilities and relatively cheap accomodation. A lot of students and back-packers seem to congregate here. It is near to a subway station and bus-stop as well so it is quite a good choice if you are on a budget.

Directions: Bloomsbury Park Hotel, Forete Crest Bloomsbury, Morton Hotel.

More about Royal National Hotel

royal national hotel russell square

by lfc

hi folks
has anybody stayed at the royal national russell square.
what would your opion be on it
cheers

RE: royal national hotel russell square

by zuriga

Reviewers at www.tripadvisor.com seemed to like this hotel quite a bit. It's in a great neighborhood and very handy for getting around central London.

RE: RE: royal national hotel russell square

by lfc

thanks

RE: RE: royal national hotel russell square

by snapshots

I stayed there for a few nights in fall of 2001. It's a huge huge hotel, with over 500 rooms if I remember correctly; though it wasn't too confusing. The walls are thin, the accomodations are sparse, but the basics were all there. Many young people were staying in this hotel and it also serves as the London headquarters for Contiki. I went on a Contiki tour and almost all fellow travelers spend a night or two before and after their trip at this hotel.

The location is fantastic though in London - the Russel Square tube stop is half a block away, and it is about 2 blocks from the British Museum (free) and a few blocks from Tottenham Rd where there is a lot of shopping, a large Sainsbury grocery store, large internet cafes, and part of the UCL (University College of London) campus is right there as well.

Overall, for the budget traveler, I'd recommend it.

Comments