2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 28% lower than similarly priced 2.5 star hotels

• A Royal rat hole

This place is a rate hole. One step above being in prison. Stayed here one night with my family during the Olympics. This place was cramp, bed sheet had blood stains on them. No ventilation in the room. Beware.

Unique Quality: One step above being in prison. Shower and toilet are in the same unit. Beds are made for children.

Directions: London England, near Paddington Station

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

Closest to Paddington Station

Another nondescript budget hotel for the area but at least it has a lft. I felt ripped off on the breakfast though because I slept late every day and since I was always within 15 minutes of the end of breakfast they were always out of something whether it was eggs, toast, or bangers. It was just something every day.

The room was small as I expected but they did give me the view of Norfolk Square that I asked for. The staff is friendly and accomodating. Overall, not bad, but I travel alone so I'm not fussy.

Unique Quality: Directly across the street from Paddington Station. It just does not get closer than this.

Directions: Directly across from Paddington Station.

• JUNLI's Profile Photo

An *Impressive* Hotel

Unique Quality: The ensuit double-room I lived in was extreamly tiny that I would like to put it here as its unique quality.

But that was not all yet. After I left that hotel for nearly 4 weeks, this hotel charged me again for another 50 Pounds for my "No Show". Of course I would not show because I did not put any reservations through and I don't think I would do so ever again to be honest!

It took me another 1 month to reclaim my money back, which made this hotel more "impressive" to me! Bed experience.

More about Royal Norfolk Hotel

Royal Norfolk Hotel,...

by CultusLake

Royal Norfolk Hotel, Paddington, London
I paid £ 42-44 for this room. It was a very very small room, with a bed, TV, and a small bathroom with an interesting shower..but it was very adequate for me..be prepared to go up and down stairs after you get off the lift..it is on many floors! CHEAP..for London. It included a full English Breakfast. It was close to the tube, there was an internet cafe across the street, and lots of ethnic restaurants on the same street.

As good as you'll get for the price

by TripAdvisor Member ryanpiller

We stayed for one night here, in transit to the USA. We were not able to get a booking for the place we had stayed the week before (Blakemore - also good value) so we took a punt and booked the Royal Norfolk.

It is opposite Paddington station so transporting luggage is no problem at all. Our room was on the top floor, overlooking the street but we had no trouble with street noise. The bathroom was small but adequate (and we have seen smaller) and the room was clean - which is one the main things we look for.

The price on Expedia (60 pounds for a Friday night) included a continental breakfast which had toast, juice, cereal, yoghurt and coffee.

Good value hotel for London for a short stay.

Good Value, But Not For Long Stays

The Royal Norfolk does what it says on the tin. If you come into London on the Heathrow Express to Paddington and cannot afford the Hilton, then you litlerally fall out the station and the hotel is there. This is a very convienent, clean hotel. The rooms are small and the bathroom reminded me of a ship's cabin, but for a one or two-night stay, it's absolutely fine. Fresh sheets and towels every day and a nice breakfast.
The carpet on the stairs is getting a bit threadbare and the small lift, sloping surfaces and steps everywhere would not make this suitable for the disabled traveller; however if your hotel in London is just somewhere to rest your head after a hard day's shopping and an even harder night partying and you don't want to lug your suitcase around the Underground or up and down the street then this is ideal for you. Cross the street from Paddington and you are there.

OK

This is a buget hotel in a good location. You get what you pay for. Stayed there for 5 nigths at the begiinning of September 2004.

Staff were friendly and helpful, but some problems arose. Firstly after we arrived the lift stopped working and as we were on the 4th floor the exercise after a day's sightseeing was interesting!! Secondly the water pressure for flushing the loo was not good - but simply fill the cistern up - more good exercise.

On the positive side the room, although quite small, was clean and well-kept. Tea and coffee were available and hot water was abundant in an excellent bath. The location is excellent but you can hear the underground most nights. Excellent eating facilities nearby and pubs that sell real ale as well as lager (heaven)

Previous nasty reviews totally over the top and I would stay at the Royal Nofolk again

a pLeasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Malc2222

We came to stay for 3nights with friends,our room was ok but the bathroom was small although adequate, our friends room was like a broom cupboard but on request it was changed.We found all of the reception staff to be pleasant and courteous,would come again to this hotel.

Good low-cost hotel - we would return

by TripAdvisor Member ntnylion4ever

This is an above average hotel, in the budget/tourist class category. My boyfriend and I stayed here 3 nights in early November '04 and found it suited our needs quite well. Its location is the best part - right next to Paddington and with virtually everything you'd need within easy walking distance. The neighborhood felt quite safe, even with such close proximity to a major train station, and had restaurants, cafes, newstands, grocery story, shops, pubs, gift stores - even a lovely bakery - close by. The staff was friendly and the breakfast decent - the 'basic' we got with our deal was coffee/tea, juice, toast, cereal and yogurt, which was fine for us. We did upgrade 1 day to a full English and it was only about an average rated English breakfast. The drawbacks were that the room was a little small (but no smaller than most every room I've stayed in Europe), you could hear underground trains at times (where we were located) and the shower was so small, it was comical. I've stayed all over Europe, and go to London quite often, so I'm used to the 'non-American'-sized bathroom and room. However, this shower was definitely the most clautrophobic I've had to use, even a bit frustrating. I would definitely stay there again, though, but next time I'd probably just request a room with a bigger bathroom (I do know they have them).

The absolute worst! Do not stay there!

We recently stayed in this hotel, after having read the reviews on this site and thought it would be an acceptable budget hotel (mind you at $150+ per night, with tax and fees, it was NOT cheap). We were so sad when we got there that I wished with all my heart that we had not prepaid!

This is a pit- do not stay there! Where to begin...

The staff were rude, indifferent, insulting and dismissive of our concens. I was told by a staff member when complaining about some problems with the room - like the toilet not working and the heat not being on because the knobs to control the thermostat were missing - "This is only a two star hotel, there's nothing we can do."" When I told him I had been told it was a three star and advertised as such online he said, "They say that but it is not and they say we have all these amenities which we do not. This is only a two star hotel." Makes you wonder who the "THEY" are, as the hotel itself, I am sure, is involved in advertising itself. Anyway, this is NOT a three star hotel as some places online list it. I think a two star would be generous, too generous. I would label it a ONE star - or more rightly as we referred to it during our painful stay there - a flophouse.

The hotel was dirty and dingy, as was the room. The room was tiny, and came equipped with strange angles to the walls to give you that true claustrophobic, closed in feeling. The bed was horrible, painful to lay on, and filthy. You could just imagine what crawliers were living in there - and thus you were afraid to get under the blankets. We never did but simply layed on top of the "duvet" (and I use that term it the loosest sense possible), shivering throughout the night. The pillows were useless at about 1/2 inch thinkness. there was one extra and it was no better. The tiny little towles they gave you were akin to industrial grade sand paper - like something you'd imagine they gave to miners working the Black Seam to clean themselves after a day down the shaft.

The TV had no remote and came with like 4 channels. The clock radio/alarm bolted to the wall was not functional. Just dead but left there anyways. The carpet was grungy and you didn't want to walk on it with your bare feet.

The room was glacial because the heater, as mentioned before, had no knobs to work it, so it was off. We had to call down and a porter eventually came up and turned it on with a wrench - the room then soared to just below the surface of the sun. When we called to ask them to moderate this we were told not to worry about it. Eventually after complaining I was allowed to come down and get the wrench so I could turn it off myself. They later came by and took the wrench from our room when we stepped out so we never experienced any heat again during our stay there in the middle of London's winter. Nice.

The ceiling was dirty and gross as were the walls. The furniture was dirty and falling apart, including such charming touches as missing knobs.

The bathroom was like something out of a prison movie. It was tiny beyond extreme. The sink was about 6 inches or so wide, you couldn't really get your hands in there well. And if you bent down to wash your face you hit your head on the overhanging mirror on the way down as it was so close. The toilet, as mentioned above was non-functional and would only flush if you primed it by flushing several times in a row and then held the the handle down. You had a few inches clearance on either side, not much. The shower was just filthy dirty, the shower head was hanging off the wall about to fall off at any moment. It was actually in fact detached and hanging on by just a few wispy threads of caulking. And it only produced a thin trickle of lukewarm water. And at night whenever someone flushed their crummy toilets you could hear their waste water gurgling up in the toilet and shower drains in our room. Gag!

All in all a truly deplorable place. Having never in fact been to prison, this is the worst place I have ever stayed in. Avoid this hotel at all costs! Fight fraud in advertising with your dollars. Avoid avoid avoid!

Don't go there - the absolute pits

The rooms are dirty, small and noisy. The beds are terrible. The floor was on such a slope we had to sleep upside down. I had to steel myself to have a shower, if you could call the dribble of lukewarm water a shower, the stench of mould in the box of a bathroom was putrid.
The staff were there and the only thing that distinguished them from a cardboard cutout was their rudeness. Don't waste your money!!!!!!

Comments