Rubens At The Palace

Booking.com Travelocity Official website

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• eeiadio's Profile Photo

Right next to Buckingham Palace

Minor teething problem ( the room wasn't ready at 4pm) given a complimentry drink and an upgrade to a suite! If you are an overseas tourist over 50yrs. you will love this place. A/C works well the service is attentive. Like many London hotels there are many opportunities to add to your bill but no worse than others. Service is added automatically on everything so you don't need to tip.

Bad points - only one, check that the VAT has been added to your room cost before booking, mine wasn't.

This isn't a modernist glass - steel - marble chic hotel block. If you want that try elsewhere.

Unique Quality: Hotel overlooks the royal mews which to be honest isn't that awsome, the front of the palace where the changing of the guard takes place at 11.30am everyday (get there by 10.30 if you want to see it as it gets very crowded - VERY CROWDED) is less than 3 minutes walk away. Turn right out of the hotel entrance.

Directions: Nearest tube is Victoria. Chelsea's Kings road is a 15 minutes walk through Eaton Square. Piccadilly and Bond Street is a nice walk through Green Park around 10 - 15 minutes where you will also find the most expensive designer shops in London.

• Shihar's Profile Photo

Great Location

The Rubens Hotel is a quaint hotel right across from Buckingham Palace. It is reasonable priced and within walking distance to many area attractions. The rooms were on the small side but suffient. The morning buffet was almost $16.00 per person, need for the budget conscious.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

The Rubens At The Palace: Closest to the Palace

Wow, what a posh place! I thought I'd gotten a killer online deal for two nights at the Reubens, but after all taxes had been applied and the girl at the hotel desk had sold me on a $30 extra room upgrade (for a better view), I ended up paying much more than I'd originally budgeted for. But what a bizarre, splendid place!
    The decor of the hotel was distinctly "British", all dark woods, deep red colours, and gold gilding. The lobby and restaurant areas had lots of royal memorabilia and old military flags on display. The bartender was just as you would expect at a fancy British place, a stiff-upper-lip guy in a tuxedo--he drawled out "Siiirrr?" whenever he took my order. The staff was greatly friendly and courteous--the girl at the check-in desk was quick and the concierge helped us plan a whole walking tour of the area. The location of the hotel is ideal for those wanting to see the changing of the guard in the morning or walk to the other sights (such as Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament).
    The window in our room looked out over one of the gates of Buckingham Palace towards the Royal Mews. I have to say, it was pretty impressive to look out your window and see the Palace less than a hundred feet away.
    Different types of royal seals adorned above and around the bed. The tiled bathroom was small but immaculately clean.
    I wouldn't take the over-the-top regal atmosphere here too seriously though. Underneath all the pomp, underneath the fancy dressings, I found the Rubens to be a very normal hotel--in need of some paint here and there, the room was kind of small, and the elevator didn't work one day. But it's a really fun place to stay for that same reason and I would definitely recommend it when visiting London; I think royal-watchers and kids would especially love the atmosphere.

Unique Quality: This is the closest hotel to Buckingham Palace.

Directions: On Buckingham Place Road. Exit Victoria Station tube stop. Exit the station at Terminus Place and turn left. Turn right onto Buckingham Palace Road and follow road for approximately 100 metres.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

When you want to be the Queen's Neighbor

To be honest, Rubens at the Palace is a bit out of my price range. That said, I've stayed here three times. The first two were with a friend, so I was splitting the bill. The last was this past July when I was taking my neice to London and Paris for her graduation gift. We stayed at the Rubens our last night, after a few days in Paris.

Across the street from the Queen's Mews, the Hotel is a very nice 4 star property. You know as soon as you arrive that you'll be well taken care of. The doorman rushes to open the Cab door and grabs your bags. From there on things are taken care of for you. This is especially nice if you've been lugging your stuff on planes, trains or boats.

Our airconditioned room was comfortable and luxe. The bathroom is especially nice and the room as all the best amenities, robes, plush towels, and inroom tea service.

Unique Quality: Although the hotel has a couple of nice restaurants, I enjoy the small bar/lounge where the bar menu has everything I could ask for and a pianist plays wonderful tunes (open to requests). My neice and I enjoyed our club sandwiches, last night champagne and the beautiful music.

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

GREAT LOCATION & REASONABLE

Nice hotel, great location, and reasonable. We had a room that looked directly onto the "Horse Gate" and could watch the vehicles come and go from the working side of the palace. Rooms are typical old world small but clean and well kept. Don't try to plug in a curling iron as you will blow the fuses for the entire floor and it take about 30 minutes to get it back on. Best thing is the location, near to everything.

• a5floor's Profile Photo

The Rubens at the Palace.

I will stay at this hotel from 28 May till 01 June next. For more information, please wait.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

• LolaSanFrancisco's Profile Photo

The Hip Cool Cat Hotel

I wanted to stay at the coolest hotel in London, but not a modern one. So I stayed at the Rubens and Nigel the doorman was a hoot! Kept hitting on me and making me blush: I love that in a doorman, and now come to expect it, even if I have to tip heavy for some door love.

My view was awesome. The bathroom was so much fun. Even the breakfast was O.K., for English food. However, the eggs had to be runny, otherwise you wouldn?t know you were there. The hotel is across the street from Buckingham Palace, and two blocks from Victoria Station. I don?t think I could ever afford it again, and I?m so glad I splurged then, because if I?m going to only spend 3 nights in London, I?m gonna do it up baby!

Unique Quality: Choose from a wide range of accommodation including newly refurbished king bedded rooms, a magnificently decorated Royal Wing and spacious suites. Whilst some rooms offer stunning glimpses into Buckingham Palace and its gardens, all are beautifully furnished and offer air conditioning, bureau desks and twice daily maid service.

Luxury Rooms
    The hallmarks of The Ruben's spacious king and queen bedded guest rooms include:

24 hour room service
    bottled mineral water
    cable tv/movies on demand
    choice of smoking / non smoking rooms
    deluxe toiletries
    international direct dial telephones
    jelly beans
    plush bathrobes
    safe
    tea and coffee making facilities
    us/uk modem lines
    voicemail in local language
    AT&T direct access facility
    Business Ready
    A commitment to busy travellers with a selection of guest rooms providing all the amenities of a standard room plus these special features:

generous desk space
    personal fax/printer/copier machine
    internet access
    laptop rentals
    office supplies and stationery
    mobile telephones for hire
    safes (in room electronic safes)
    secretarial support on request
    special lighting
    speaker telephones
    swivel chair
    Deluxe Suites
    The ultimate in style, space and comfort. All the amenities of a standard and business ready room plus:

canap├ęs delivered nightly
    cd player with a selection of cds
    fresh flowers
    mini bar
    selection of magazines and books
    Royal Rooms
    An exciting recent addition to the Rubens portfolio of accommodation, our Royal Wing offers eight magnificently decorated guest rooms. Each individually themed on Kings and Queens of Great Britain, they include all the facilities of our business ready rooms as well as:

100% 2 way for interactive tv / internet
    cat6 cables
    dvd player and a selection of dvd's
    original commissioned portraits
    printer
    scanner
    uk / us isdn lines

More about Rubens At The Palace

Couldn't Believe It!!

We purchased a package through lastminute that included an aromatherapy kit, sightseeing tour tickets, london eye tickets, cocktails and complimentary breakfast. It was well worth the 150 pounds and far exceeded our expectations. We were upgraded to a royalty suite (Henry VIII) and needless to say, there was a plasma tv in the bathroom....wow!!

Did not disappoint

by TripAdvisor Member VTDFR

I always research hotels carefully before booking on overseas trips, but even so I am often very disappointed. Not this time. The Rubens exceeded all expectations. For 99 pounds a night, we had a small but lovely room, immaculate and well equipped, with a very good bathroom (and outstanding shower!). Plus we could hear the Queen's horses clop clopping in and out of the gorgeous stable courtyards, which we overlooked. The included buffet breakfast is incredible. Rates are only slightly higher for a King bedded room.The public rooms are elegant, Calvary Bar a great place to relax, and The Library served four of us a top-notch meal in beautiful surroundings. From the minute we arrived until the minute we left, all of the staff were extremely warm, helpful and accomodating. Well situated in central London, the hotel is only a few minutes walk from Victoria Station, and all busses and Underground.
We will certainly return there anytime we are in London.

Comments