Seraphine Hotel - Kensington Olympia

More about London

St. Katherine Docks - LondonSt. Katherine Docks - London

HarrodsHarrods

Tower of LondonTower of London

hyde park squirrelhyde park squirrel

Where should we stay in London?

by daisydoo5

I'm planning a trip for our family next June to London and was wondering which area of London I should be concentrating my search for lodging. Ideally, we'd like a 2br/2ba timeshare or hotel suite in a safe area near the tube and attractions, shopping, restaurants,etc. I've seen a couple timeshare rentals in the Sloane Square area. Is that a nice area? Are there other locations I should be looking in? Thanks!

by yma123

hi there... I stayed in notting hill/bayswater in 2007 & loved that area as you have 2 tube stops in walking distance... & heaps of shops, cafes etc...

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Notting Hill-Bayswater (3 Stars) - it seemed to be quite resonable & you even got breakfast included... we only had one room but it had 3 beds (2 singles) & one double... great location

amy!

by planxty

Sloane square is an excellent area, very upmarket at one end of the famous Kings Road. There is a District Line tube (the green line if you look at a map) and you will be a short travel from places like the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace etc. Even the Tower of London will be about 20 minutes on the Tube from there.

If travel is a concern you might want to use this website which is very good. I live in London, and have done for many years, but I still use it to plan routes.

There are plenty of restaurants in that area, although I would suggest most are overpriced due to the location. However, a short journey will take you to some excellent places.

Certainly, there are other places you could look at, but without more specific information as to what you want to do, it is difficult to make suggestions. Public transport is pretty good in London, although we do tend to moan about it, and anywhere within about 5 miles of the centre (use Charing Cross as a central point) should be fine for transportation.

Please feel free to mail me if you need any more specific information.

Hope this assists.

by daisydoo5

Thank you, this was very helpful! While in London, we'll want to see all the usual tourist places and we'd also like to take a day trip to Paris if it's feasible. What do you think about that? Also, are you familiar with the Marriot Mayfair and if so, what do you think of it and it's location?

Travel Tips for London

If you've never ever been to...

by Mallafri

If you've never ever been to London before, Leicester Square is The place to go. Everything in London circles around Leicester Square. You have the theaters, the cinemas, the good restaurants and, most importantly, you have the best clubs in London here. My best memory of London is when I went up the London Eye with some friends. It was around 8.00 PM and already dark outside. There was nothing but lights and colour as far as the eye could see, it was so beautiful and we had the perfect view from the top of the London Eye.
I have picture of it and I'll post it here as soon as I've developed it. But of course, nothing is like the real thing. You really have to experience it, to appreciate it!

Take a trip on the DLR...

by jamesglaze

Take a trip on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) from the Tower of London down to the Cutty Sark through the docklands and then walk to the top of the hill at Greenwich and get a view of the city - the back in on the train to the West End for a good night out partying (of course) - the first bit is better on a sunny warm day I have to admit What I miss: Mates - come on, I lived there for 23 years

Too many good memories to know where to start

Hampstead Heath

by dvideira

Hampstead Heath divides the hilltop villages of Hampstead and Highgate and has a variety of landscapes: heathland, meadows, hills, ponds and lakes.

It is known as the "Lungs of London" and it is one of the capital's most popular green space.

In the 791 acres you can stroll, take a guided walk, jog, sunbathe, picnic, fish, play football, tennis or bowls and swim in one of the ponds or Parliament Hill Lido.

On the northern edge of Hampstead Heath is Kenwood House, a fine neo-classical mansion, now maintained by English Heritage. The house contains the Iveagh Bequest, the finest private collection of paintings ever given to the nation. In the summer Kenwood House hosts very popular lakeside concerts.

. What I like most about this place is that, unlike the other parks in London -- so ornamental and planned -- this one is
is a great semi-natural park, not "designed space" .

From Parliament Hill, to the south of Hampstead Heath, it offers magnificent views over central London.

Wonderful people

by Elodie_Caroline

One day, quite a few years ago now, we had gone for a day trip to London. In the early, but dark Winter's evening, we were walking back through one of the streets that leads to Baker Street. We were on our way to Marylebone station; when I spotted this little shop.
It was all lit up and it was full of beautiful sequinned clothes. I nosed in the windows and then discovered the side door, and that the shop was still open. Inside was an Indian man in his turban and his wife. I commented on the wonderful clothes and Indian ornaments they had in the shop; then I could smell this wonderful aroma. I asked what it was? The old man said that it was his Incense sticks. I said that they smelled beautiful and what were they, as I quite like Incense sticks. He told me that they were original Indian White Musk, and then he proceeded to pick the rest of the handful of unused ones up, wrapped them in silver foil and presented them to me. I was really thankful to him and his wife and said what a lovely gesture that was, especially as I hadn't actually bought anything in there. They told me that it was their 'festival of light - Diwali', and that they were a present from them to me.... Isn't that just wonderful, and what truly wonderful and friendly people there are in this old world. A white English shopkeeper would never give you something for nothing.

Umbrella - not that you will need it...:)

by MedioLatino

To bring an umbrella to London is obligatory! Even if you won't need it, it's sort of a must have accessory! :)

To have a real gentleman look you should also carry on of these hats, but that's a little too much for a tourist I guess :)
I spent 4-5 days in 2 diferent times in London and had no use of them at all, but still...:)

Comments