Servite Houses Wood Green

More about London

Mr Wu's Chinese RestaurantMr Wu's Chinese Restaurant

Planxty, Swanèt and al_maryPlanxty, Swanèt and al_mary

Covent GardenCovent Garden

Inside the museumInside the museum

London Tours

by marlin1518

Will be going to London shortly and have been looking at several tour companys and what they have to offer. My question is which company has the most favorable ratings. They all seem to go to the same places and cost about the same. So any recommendations to which one to choose. Thanks for any and all help.

by hawkhead

Do you mean tours of the sights of London? Or companies which offer day tours out of London?

by marlin1518

Several Companies offer tours. The 2 tours that I am considering are 1) Windsor,Bath and Stonehenge. And the 2nd is the hop on hop off around London.

by wise23girl

Well we just picked up the brochures and made a decision based on what fitted in with where we wanted to go.
What we did find was that on one tour we were picked up in a big comfortable bus to go to the Cotswolds. We were happy. 4 of us. The men are solid..not fat but big men.
So our "pick up" takes us to a central depot and ?'+.>! we are the last lot to arrive and were transferred to a small bus...quite cramped...and 4 places together over the wheels. Saved for us Ha Ha. Some singles in other spots.

But for the men a very uncomfortable journey.

David and I have been there many times and enjoy the Cotswolds. Our friends first timers loved it...but not the bus journey.

If there was a next time I would ask about the coach.

And you do not always get taken back to your hotel either.

by GrumpyDiver

I'm a firm believer in DIY (Do It Yourself) tours, rather than the "cattle car" class handling tour operators tend to subject you to. They tend to hang around too long in places I don't enjoy and too little time in places that I do.

Windsor, I have not been to, but Bath and Stonehenge are wonderful. Stonehenge is at its best in the late afternoon, as the sun is setting. Try to find a tour that will do that...

In London itself, the Tube and the very occasional bus and my feet are all I have ever used for touring.

by wise23girl

There are two "hop on hop off" that I know about.We picked ours up at Marble Arch but that was some years ago. I notice one goes up Bayswater Road (where we stay)Tickets are sold at the bus stops along the way for that one.. Lots of places with information around.

At the time we had earphones up top. Often multilingual.

Not a bad way to get the city layout sorted.

I agree with Grumpy Diver for the most part. But depends on your mobility and if you have enough time to explore yourself. And probably if you have done some homework esp in a city such as London.

If you can plot the underground that helps.

We had guests for the Cotswold tour I mentioned...definitely not DIY variety.

Travel Tips for London

Bars and liquor

by Nexus7

First off, you don't tip in London, or any part of England for that matter. This invariably causes the problem of waiting a long time for your drink because the bartenders have no real motivation. I waited on average about five to ten minutes for a drink. Beer or mixed. I'm not talking about waiting in line, I'm talking about from the time you ask them. They really take their merry time here. It wasn't just me either. Other important tip: London law states that you can have no more than a half a shot of hard liquor per drink, which means that it's usually very weak and you need a lot of them to get a buzz. My recommendation. Drink Beer. More alcohol per liter.

Sink to the murky depths of...

by oja

Sink to the murky depths of London Dungeon for the ultimate scary experience. You'll see that human imagination indeed has no limits when it comes to torturing. Pleasant on a hot day, also for the creeps running down your spine.
Dinner with Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. They're downright weirdos, the two of them!

Albert Memorial

by draguza

It is situated in South Kensington in central London - . It forms the practical part of a national memorial to the Prince Consort - the decorative part is the Albert Memorial directly to the north in Kensington Gardens, now separated from the Hall by the heavy traffic along Kensington Gore. The hall also accommodates the largest pipe organ in the UK, and is the home of The Proms.

Christmas and new years eve in London

by mindcrime

London is an expensive city and during Christmas period get even worst especially hotel prices. But it’s really worth it to be there during that period. First of all the streets are full of lights, all over the city in every district, the trees, the shops and everything is in xmas mood :) In pic 2 you can see how Covent Garden market lights up during this period. Of course there are many Christmas trees here and there with the one at Trafalgar square take the first place in popularity. There are some outdoor iced skating rinks but we felt very cold for that.

Last December we decided to spend our afternoon of 2008 watching a musical, we hadnt booked any ticket so I thought that it would be impossible to find one but guess what?! We found many of them and in normal prices at about 5 pm! Check the booth at Covent Garden that has some special offers. Later we druck some beers and we tried to approach the London Eye before midnight. I say “tried” because millions of other people tried to do the same. Some tube stations were closed for safety reasons so the majority of the people just walked down near the river. The police had blocked the side streets because their plan was to spread the people in more than one area. We found a good spot, we drunk our wine and we watched the amazing fireworks (pic 1) over the London Eye (check video). Later the city was party in and out of pubs. The underground was running till the morning and it was for free…

The day after (Happy New Year!) we went downtown again to watch the New Year Day Parade (pics 3-5) that takes place every year. It was colorful and lively to watch… see my video here: (video)

Chat to your cabbie - they are...

by tizfabius

Chat to your cabbie - they are so entertaining. You may not understand everything they say cos they're usually real cockneys. But they are knowledgeable, funny, and usually up for a chat. Just beware the ones that take you the 'scenic route' - look at your A to Z first and have a clue where you're going if possible!

Comments