Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Overnight But There Were Steps

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 18, 2015

I booked this hotel because it was close to Paddington Station (which is was) and it had free wi-fi (which it did) and because there was an elevator and I thought I could get to my room without doing steps. I specifically asked for a room where I didn't have to do steps.

We got to the hotel and there was a step up to the entrance. I registered and paid I declined the 11 pounds each breakfast. There was a place around the corner that advertised breakfast for under 5 pounds.

Then they said that their elevator was out of service so they had put us across the street where we could be on the ground floor. They did not seem to notice that to get there we had to go down a step to get out of the hotel, then down the curb, cross the street, up the curb on the other side, and then up two steps to the hotel entrance and then go through three doors in quick succession.

And this is not what I would call NO STEPS.

Unique Quality: There were a US, a UK and a European outlet for plugs and the hotel information book in the room stated that all the plugs worked. They did not. We had to get an adapter and use the UK outlet. We had a TV a microwave and a small fridge. The bathroom is fancy with a heated floor, but there is no place to put anything in it. Also we could not figure out how to turn the heat up.

The bell man was VERY helpful, and the concierge did arrange for a van to pick us up at the airport

Directions: Near Paddington Station

A hotel in Paddington that tries really hard!!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 22, 2010

This hotel looks really good on the surface, and the reality isn't that hot. I liked this hotel with the doorman and help with the luggage. Hotel policy stated upfront that the room must be paid for on check in....hmmmm.
I open the curtains and look into a delivery alley and a window that I couldn't get open. It had a very fancy thermostat that I couldnt get to work, and ended up turning the A/C off and on; really nice that they have it, but come on! I also had a bedside lamp that didn't have a button to turn it on or a switch on the wall. You plug the key card into the wall to turn on the overhead lights, even the ones in the bathroom, but you can't turn them off without turning them all off. Hmmmmm. So the lights in the bathroom had to be on the whole time, yet they encourage us to recycle our towels to 'save the environment'. The shower was super tiny, and granted I'm not the smallest girl, but unless you shower with your arms at your side, you would still get bruises trying to turn around and wash your hair. The super large television on the wall was nice but slow, and the internet cord(yes, I said cord) was super short and still cut in and out.
I appreciate that they just went through a major renovation, but when the room is too complicated to use, and didn't actually seem to improve the actual stay, thats just rediculous. It looks great on the outside but in reality not that impressive. I might stay here again, the proximity to Paddington and the Heathrow transport is second to none. I'm not exactly a fan of the Paddington area though, too touristy(yeah, I know, Pot, kettle) and always full of people and overpriced everything.

someguy3ca's Profile Photo

London's worst hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 9, 2004

This is possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The service was brutal. I arrived in London at 7 a.m. and I could not check in until 2 p.m. I made a reservation for a room with 2 beds (because I was meeting my cousin) and they gave me a room with one bed. When I went back to the reception to ask for a room with 2 beds the guy snapped at me. Then he looked at my reservation and noticed he made a mistake. When I finally got into my room the fire alarm went off.
The next morning I went to get my free breakfast. There were 2 line ups for the breakfast downstairs, and one of the waiters sat me down not realizing other people were waiting in the other line longer then I was. Then right in front of me the head waiter exploded at the waiter who told me where to sit. Customer service was just brutal. Avoid this dump at all costs.

Nearby Shaftesbury Paddington Court London

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

every hotel Piccadilly
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Travelodge London Kings Cross Royal Scot
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Grange Holborn Hotel (The)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
The Bentley Hotel London (The Waldorf Astoria Collection)
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Buckingham Palace
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Train / Bus Stations
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Pigeons
Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Tourist Traps
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Airports
Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Brick Lane
Portobello Market / Notting Hill
Architectural
Food and Drink
Parks and Gardens
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Arts and Entertainment