2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• MrC2's Profile Photo

Possibly the worst hotel in the world

I'll just list things as they come to mind...
    1) Very rude staff from the moment we walked in the door.
    2) All photos of hotel (on their website) used a special lens to make things look larger. Everything was TINY. In fact, it was difficult for more then 1 person with a single suitcase to fit into the elevator....which appeared as if it were going to crumble at any moment.
    3) The hallways leading to the rooms were rotten and flexible. We thought we were going to fall through the floor.
    4) The room was VERY tiny. I could almost reach both walls while standing in the middle.
    5) No a/c or ventilation. The small window was broken as well.
    6) Mold/mildew stains on walls and ceiling
    7) Filthy bedding. We found enough hair to make a toupee along with bugs inside the pillow cases.
    8) The telephone and nightstand were so dirty that we dared not touch them much less use them for anything. It looked as if things had been spilled and never cleaned up.

We arrived late at night and all other local hotels were booked or we would have gone somewhere else. We seriously considered sleeping outside, but toughed it out since we arrived by taxi and didn't have a car to sleep in.

Unique Quality: Unique qualities? General filth, rude people and misery....lots of misery. It was also 90*F in our room. We could barely stand to be in there.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Sidney Hotel

We paid just under £80 for a twin room with ensuite. If you book online through their website you get a 10% discount. The room was tiny and the bathroom even tinier. If you're a large person you might have difficulty here. We didn't spend much time in our room so it was ideal for us but not much room between the beds.

Unique Quality: Nice, friendly hotel. Rooms were small but clean. There's a bar in the reception area that stays open later than the pubs. We kept the bartender up late on his last night of work. (He was going home to Corfu the next day)
    A full English Breakfast is included with the room.

Directions: About 10 minutes walk from Victoria Station, or a 2 minute walk from Pimlico Station

More about Sidney Hotel

An excellent little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member PMCN

Having read the reviews for this hotel I decided to book a couple of single rooms at this little London hotel and was very pleased with the results! The service I received was courteous and professional from the very first phone call. The rooms were fairly small but were clean, tidy and had an on-suite shower room, wall mounted LCD TV and coffee / tea making facilities. The breakfast was served in a friendly manner and was a good quality typical English breakfast.

The next time I go to that area of London I'll definately be staying at the Sidney Hotel again! It's really hit and miss as to whether or not you get a good quality affordable hotel in London so this one's a really good find!

I would recommend that you book the rooms online to get an extra discount at (--)

Excellent stay

by TripAdvisor Member Rosie44

I stayed at the Sidney hotel two years in a row and haven't been dissapointed.
We booked two twin rooms on this trip. Our room was quite cool while my childrens was warm. The rooms are clean, and the area is great for seeing the sites in London. The worst problem we found was the bland breakfast and unhappy servers. I would reccomend this hotel for the price and location. There are lots of great restaurants right in the area, and it's walking distance to most tourist attactions.

Don't!

by TripAdvisor Member hanrage

The Sidney Hotel was a real disappointment! We booked through their website, which showed pictures of nicely decorated hotel rooms - our room turned out to be tiny, old fashioned, and the bathroom was so small that it looked like it had been designed for a cabin in a ship! We were woken twice in the middle of the night by wake up calls that we didn't book. Staff were surly and unapologetic. Breakfast was okay, and included in the price and the location is great - 2 minutes walk from Pimlico tube station. The hotel was Supposedly RAC 4*, but I guess you get what you pay for in London - this was cheap, but certainly not cheerful. My advice is don't trust website photos and spend a little extra - it's worth it!

Sidney - Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member nagina

We stayed in the triple ensuite in the last week of july. The room was tidy, but was suprised to find that the t.v, internet, radio etc were not included in the price. Breakfast was simple and fulfilling in a nice dining room setting. The reception and waiting staff were frendly but the lady who we think was the host failed to crack a smile. We were able to leave our luggage for a short period of time despite checking out to be an excellent service. The Hotel is in prime location, conveniant to the bus stop which is just outside and from the coach station.

The negatives: We found the room cosy but unequipped to deal with the soaring heat of up to 30-40degrees being experienced around the country. This only proved to be a problem at night, having been out during the day. We made do with a revolving fan, narrow opening windows and occasionally escaping to the airconditioned bar. In addition having to wait outside the dining room for exactly 7.30am for breakfast and not being allowed to wait inside was slightly tedious.

Overall i would definately recommend this place to a friend, forewarning them about the lack of air-conditioning; and i would certainly go back there again next time in London. For the price its a bargain!

Nagina, Lancashire

great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member rhillscotland

My husband, his brother and his wife and myself stayed at this hotel for five nights recently. We were down for The Rolling Stones concert at Twickenam and to enjoy the sights of London. We found the hotel to be in a fantastic location. Central for everything but far enough away from the 'biz' to be quiet and peaceful (except for the night when there were three rooms in our corridor filled with young French girls who ran between the rooms banging doors until 4.00am!) My husband and I found our room to be adequate, very clean and clean towels every day. As has been mentioned in other reviews the bathroom is very small but we managed! Breakfast was very nice, piping hot and the waitresses always round offering more tea and coffee. We all thought this hotel was fantastic value for money and will definately stay there the next time we come down to London.

Size does matter!

by TripAdvisor Member LA2006

This hotel was in a really great location (very close to the underground) and a bus, the #24 which made getting about really easy. However, the room was small and the bathroom, even smaller. We were there for the first leg of our honeymoon and it was cramped to say the least. Upon arrival, we were notified by the front desk staff that our reservation had not been received due to a malfunction on their part, however we had a confirmation number from hotwire. They accommodated us for one night in a room to the front of the hotel. The bathroom in this room was reminiscent of a "porta-potty" with a shower. I'm only 5 feet tall and it was too small for me! We were moved to another room for the remainder of our stay. It was very close to the kitchen so you could hear clamoring all morning long. The staff were somewhat helpful and somewhat friendly. The breakfast was great and the staff were really very nice in the breakfast area. This hotel is overpriced for the size, the bathroom is too small for any average sized American and beware of lost reservations. I would only recommend this place if you need a convenient place to stay and size doens't matter.

Horrible!

by TripAdvisor Member SPDL

A DUMP!!!! STAY AWAY!!! I had the unfortunate experience of staying here with my young family over the summer and was horrified. To summarize, in our room we found: large holes in the walls; paint and wallpaper peeling; suspicious large brown stains on the sides of the beds; window jammed; microscopic bathroom with cracked sink and mirror; ventilation fan covered in dust; and no AC. And all this for a price of Euro 180 per night!! Take my advice and book elsewhere. S.L., Italy.

Great if you're on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member EasyStreet101

The room was clean but very small. We were only staying two nights so it didn't matter us but if you have a lot of luggage then storage space would be a problem. The toilet and shower is tiny.

Having said that we only needed a place to sleep and change as we wanted to make the most of our time in London. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast really set us up for the day.

The location is excellent and over all I would say that this hotel offers good value for a short stay. We paid 115 sterling for a double room including breakfast. London is expensive and another 75 pounds a night will probably only get you slightly larger bedroom and bathroom and will probably not include breakfast. Just don't pack more than two suitcases!

accommodations

by mjbcoffee

We are trying to find accommodations in London for our family of 5. Could anyone tell me if this hotel is in a good location (near bus lines or tube - what station?) and if it is walking distance from popular sites?
The Highbury Centre 26, Aberdeen Park, Highbury, London N5 2BJ
We are American missionaries living in Albania (Tirana), and hope to show our children some sites in London.
Any suggestions concerning cheap hotels or interesting site would be greatly appreciated! Our kids are 18,15,and 12.
thank you!
MJ

by katcoota

London isn't cheap and the best value for money way to get accomodation would probably be to look at the hostels in London. You can get an idea of what is available from YHA (Youth Hostal Association). Check out www.yha.org.uk

With a family of five you should have no difficulty in getting a room for all of you. If you are lucky you might be able to get two.

All the best.

by handfordr

The California Hotel in Kings Cross, the Lord Jim in Earls Court and the Sidney Hotel in Victoria are all central and have cheapish rooms that will accommodate your party

RE: RE: accommodations

by film

I agree with the YHA, the hostel in Holland Park in very central and in a very pleasant setting. Very close to Notting Hill.

by mjbcoffee

Thank you all for your help1 I have looked into all these ideas and now have to make a choice!
Does anyone know where The Highbury Centre 26, Aberdeen Park, Highbury, London N5 2BJ is located in relation to the pubic transportation?
thanks again!
MJ

RE: RE: accommodations

by film

Two very useful sites for answering this sort of question are:

The Transport for London (www.tfl.gov.uk) has lot of downloadable public transport maps and the journey planner is very useful. The advanced options let you select which method of public transport to use for any journey.

For streetmaps there are two main sites:

and

Whenever I want to go anywhere in London that is unfamiliar, I print out a map centred on the postcode (zip code) or street name of the place I am trying to get to.

by sturgessc

google accommodation at London Universities. Uni of Economics and others rent out student rooms in semester breaks. Beds are usually bunk style but they're cheap for london and clean.

Comments