Sofitel St James London

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Sofitel St. James

Wonderful hotel in a perfect location. City of Westminster, National Gallery, Buckingham Palace, Soho, Oxford Street, Bond Street, Covent Garden are all within walking distance.

Unique Quality: Luxurious, attentive staff without going overboard. Great restaurant. Delicious breakfast. I really wanted to stay at this hotel from the start of planning my vacation, but the cost was outside my reach. Not to be deterred, I kept checking the discount brokers and the hotel website. Nine days before our trip, I found a terrific deal on the hotel website - better than anything offered by brokers. We got discount rates because we stayed over the weekend, one free night, one free dinner, one free afternoon tea, chocolates, and complimentary breakfast each morning. All of those perks thrown in made the hotel a very good deal.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Sofitel London

An elegant, luxury hotel, known for its famous restaurant Brasserie Roux.

I want to talk about the color in the hotel - Black. In the lobby, and especially in the guest room, all furnitures are black, or almost black. And all pictures hang in the room, corridors are framed in black frames.

In general, I found dark color is very popular among European high-end/luxury hotels - given my business travel experience in the last 1.5 years. Probably because the clients - typically mid-aged European businessman like it.

Dark color is too heavy for me, and too "traditional" looking. After a day of tiring work, I'd prefer like color, relaxing ambience with modern furnitures.

Unique Quality: The stunning Sofitel St James London is located in the former home of Cox and Kings bank in the very heart of London, England. This sympathetically renovated building is English heritage grade II listed and now houses one of London's most unique five-star hotels - combining traditional British design with a contemporary style that is unmistakably French. The award winning Brasserie Roux restaurant offers first class French brasserie cuisine and these high standards are reflected throughout the hotel.
    Sofitel St James London has one of the finest addresses in London, right on the corner of Pall Mall and Waterloo Place. The hotel lies in the heart of St. James’s, a prestigious and lively district of London, within walking distance of St. James’s Park, Buckingham Palace and the renowned gentlemen’s clubs. The hotel is also less than a five minute stroll from Trafalgar Square, city centre theatres and the fabulous shopping on Regent, Piccadilly, Oxford and Bond streets. The hotel has the ideal location from which to discover and enjoy central London.

Directions: St. James Park, Piccadilly Circus

More about Sofitel St James London

French in St. James

by karenincalifornia about Brasserie Roux

Brasserie Roux is the restaurant located in our hotel, the Sofitel St. James. We ate 4 breakfasts here and one dinner, since all were included in the price of our hotel. The meals were all very good, and not just because they were free. However, the price was a very huge plus, since dining here is not cheap. For instance the breakfast that was included would have cost us 24 pounds per person. We loved the breakfast buffet. It had everything a vegetarian like me could want - fresh fruit, granola, yogurt, eggs, smoothies, cheeses, pastries, orange juice, coffee. Meat eaters could scarf down sausages and bacon if they so desired. My husband tried a strange looking dish that must have been pudding with prunes - only the English could come up with something like that. He said it was good, but that is only because he likes prunes.

The dinner was also very good. Portions were fairly large. I could eat only half of my risotto. For dessert, I had this really good banana tart with ice cream.

Top Notch

I've stayed at the hotel on 5 or 6 separate occasions and the Sofitel St. James is a main reason I look forward going to London. The location is unbeatable, the rooms always in top shape and a staff that will do anything to make sure your trip is pleasant. It is admittedly an expensive stay (even if your company picks up the tab), but worth a splurge even if you stay just for a night or two. Finally, I highly recommend the breakfast at the Brasserie Roux (in fact I would go there even if you stay in another hotel) for the patisserie and french roast coffee.

Nice touches at the Sofitel

by TripAdvisor Member TMM

I was so pleased with my stay at the Sofitel in NYC last month I decided to give the Sofitel St. James in London a go. We live an hour outside London and stayed at the Sofitel St. James from 3/11/05 - 3/13/05 for a getaway weekend. The hotel is superb and I have to say, I am beginning to like the chain as much as I like the Four Seasons group. Not meaning that it is 5-star, but definitely worth the price we paid which was £125 per night.

The small, but beautiful lobby is very inviting. The floral arrangements are so pretty. There is also an apple basket. My little one helped himself to an apple every time we went through the lobby. Upon check-in we were given our free drink card and our son was given a lovely Double-Decker bus metal toy which he carried every where we went. This gesture is a sure sign that children are welcome.

As for our room, we had #116. Our room did not have a great view as it faced some sort of atrium roof. The room was a good enough size and we did not feel cramped with the cot for our son. Another nice touch was the dried figs and large glass bottle of Evian. The maid also bought two more bottles for the turn down service each night. The bed was heavenly and it was amazingly quiet at night. The desk and drawer space was ample. I preferred the decor of the bathroom in London to the Sofitel in NYC. My husband appreciated the heated towel rack. Just little touches that all add up.

As for the food, it was pricey (we had room service). The service was excellent, but while my husband and son enjoyed their meals I only thought mine was okay. Being an American I am always quick to order pancakes when I see them on a menu in Europe. 9 out of 10 times they are not buttermilk pancakes, thus leading to disappointment. Otherwise, the coffee and bread basket are excellent choices.

The bar is a bit small and cramped, but we enjoyed our free drinks. You can have either the cocktail of the day or a glass of champagne. We went with the cocktail of the day which were very good Cosmopolitans. Make sure you sign up for a Sofitel Privilege card before you go. Besides the free drinks, you also can have late checkout and how much you spend is converted to points. The points you accrue can add up quickly and we are already entitled to a 200 euro certificate. The Rose Tea room seemed very popular as it was always crowded.

The hotel is in an excellent location. Walking distance to Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, The Mall and many other sights.

High Standards Maintained - Worth Every Penny

by TripAdvisor Member TwinsAunt

Second time staying at this luxury hotel (that in itself is a recommendation with all the choice in London) and it really does live up to the high rating in Tripadvisor. Just wish I could stay for longer.

Pristine levels of cleanliness in all areas have been maintained since last time we stayed (just after opening nearly 2 years ago). The bedrooms are spacious with large comfortable beds - heading back to that mattress after a days' shopping, evening at theatre, etc is such a treat. You could have eaten your meals in the bathroom, it was so spotless with towels that felt like new.

The staff are friendly and efficient and the public areas are classy - the floral arrangements particularly are beautiful. The hotel is popular with business travellers during the week but at weekends quieter with a number of continental visitors.

Our breakfast was included in our room rate - was of a high standard. In my opinion it would still be worth it even if you had to pay the (agreed) extortionate standalone charge - that's hotels for you!

The location of the hotel is perfect - it is c. 500 yards from both Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square yet reasonably quiet.

I have stayed at a number of luxury hotels and Sofitel St. James more than compares with others - I can't recommend it enough. With the exception of a stay at the soon to be reopened, renovated Browns, I would be happy to stay at this hotel every time I come to London.

Loved it

Preview:
My wife and I have couple of requirements for the hotels we stay in:
1) clean 2) comfortable 3)space 4) location

We stayed at St James Sofitel for 6 nights after 10 nights in Paris, and we loved it. Bed is ultracomfortable.
Room was large with large all marble bathroom/great bed/night stends/writing desk, 2 armchairs and a coffee table (we got upgraded some i do not know how big or small regular rooms are)
Hotel is very well decorated. Staff is helpfull (given that some are more than others but overall very helpful).
Cigar bar and a separate tea room, both are excellent places to relax.
Restaurant is ok - we had breakfast included, so we were their for the morning coffee and fruit salad - i thought that food was ok, service was good and convinience was great.
Hotel is pricey, but i guess that goes for any similar hotel in London.
Location is excellent. It's just behind the Trafalgar Sq. short walk to Mayfare and to Theatre district/Soho.
We actually walked to Bac. Palace too and it was not a long walk (may be 20 minutes).
Overall - great location (especially if you want to spend your evenings at theatres), very comfortable bed (probably the best we slept in, although we stayed at Westin's and Sheraton's and Hilton's before), price but excellent bar nicely separated from lobby, feeling of a solid hotel.

Great! Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member sandiegotraveler

Perfect location! The bed was super nice, the hotel is beautiful and the staff is nice and accomidating. My husband and I would highly suggest you stay here if you are looking for a lovely place to stay in London.

Loved it, will stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member EB97756

The rooms are very comfortable. The staff is helpful. We felt welcome.

I booked through the internet, and made a mistake on room size. The staff at the front desk fixed us up in a new room, and we checked in two hours early. They were nothing but nice about the whole thing.

One of the best hotels where we have ever stayed.

Nice little touches for Loyalty programme members

I was reserved in this hotel by my office which is just down the street on Jermyn street. The hotel is very nicely located and has a good oldie feel inside. Though it looked so small in size as compared to any Indian 5 star hotel. The rooms were samll but good (I think London hotels are all small rooms type). If you are a loyalty card holder then u get a express checkin, a welcome drink voucher, free newspaper, free mineral water and even an orange! I liked the small touches like making my bed ready for sleeping in the evening with dim lights and slow music running. Breakfast is damn too expensive so I decided to eat out. Otherwise very nice hotel. I am already going back to it.

Sofitel St. James, London, EnglandSofitel St. James, London, England

Buckingham Palace Road

by JoeRizal

Dear All,

I'm from M'sia going to London this July for a meeting @ 123 Buckingham Palace Road. I want to know what is the nearest hotel to this place .. i have surfed the net and i found few hotels such as :-

1. Crowne Plaze St James
2. Sofitel St. James

Are they closeby to the place where i'm going ? Appreciate your replies.. and feel free to suggest other hotels in the vicinity of the abovesaid place..

Thx :)

RE: Buckingham Palace Road

by zuriga

If you go to http://maps.google.co.uk/, just type in the address of your meeting, and you'll see a good map of that central London area. St. James is close by and even closer is the area around Victoria Station.. lots of hotels in that area as it's a very busy spot. Something quite nice just there is the Rubens Hotel. You will be a short tube ride away from either South Kensington or Gloucester Road - a bit quieter than around Victoria but filled with hotels like the upscale Millenium or you even rent a flat at One Harrington Gardens, complete with kitchen. Good luck!

RE: RE: Buckingham Palace Road

by JoeRizal

Zuriga,

Thx a lot ! I've just done what u advised me and it is very helpful !

RE: RE: Buckingham Palace Road

by zuriga

I'm glad to be of help. That new Google map site is terrific and I use it all the time. One can even just type in a restaurant and it comes up with the location and information! Enjoy London.

Comments