Spring Park Hotel

The Albert Memorial - Apr 2010The Albert Memorial - Apr 2010

City of London panoramaCity of London panorama

Indian restaurants

by Turska

I remember someone telling,that there´s a street in London,where is Indian restaurants,(and some other Asian foods also).I don´t find any info of it.Can someone tell me where it is,and what´s the name of the street?We love Indian.Last time in London we went to one Indian restaurant,but it wasn´t so good.It was at Paddington area.Now we will stay at Victoria area,but could eat somewhere else also.

by leics

Loads of them everywhere in London and the UK, but are you perhaps thinking of Brick Lane?

by Turska

Yes!That was it!When you said it,I thought that"I should have remembered it!!"Like at Trivial pursuit!
My sister told about that area.Now I can find it at my map.
You are active here!
Thanks again!!

:-)

Enjoy!

by johnaalex

One tip if you go to Brick Lane, do not give in to pressure from the touts offering a free drink etc if you go into their restaurant. Take a walk up and down and select a place that you are happy with (menu, ambiance, price etc). My personal favourite is Shampan's see http://www.shampan.co.uk/.

Regards

John

by Turska

Good to know,thanks!We allways read the menus,because we don´t eat "everything",and like to see that they have our favourites.At Indian restaurants it´s mainly different chicken-portions.I will check that restaurant you mentioned :)

by planxty

I live quite near Brick Lane and quite honestly, it is not nearly as good as it was. As mentioned above, there are quite pushy touts outside most places now, despite a Council regulation prohibiting them, and the place has become somewhat of a tourist trap. However, in the area, there are some absolutely wonderful "Indian" restaurants. I put Indian in inverted commas as they are nearly all run by Bangladeshis despite the varying types of cuisine offered.

Have a look at the restaurant secion in london here on VT. Tayyab's which is about ten minutes walk from Brick Lane is very good, and there are many others. contact me if you need further information.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

by TheLongTone

Brick lane is now rather touristy... lots of touted restaurants. Best thing there are really the Indian supermarkets. Drummond Street, which is near Euston, is also a good bet. There's a couple of great places selling Indian sweets as well.

by Turska

Thanks again! (Why don´t I get info about answers to my e-mail anymore??) I haven´t check so much restaurant-tips this time,since we are staying only 2,5 days.I have noticed that at short trips is best to know area,where tp eat,not take too much addresses,and use so much time trying to find them.
This restaurant-thing is also so personal.If I love some palce,my friend might hate it ;) Luckily me and my husband have quite the same taste.

by nyceagle1633

BRICK LANE

by leics

Erm.......yes indeed, all the replies above are mostly about Brick Lane.

Travel Tips for London

The Millennium Dome

by deeper_blue

The Millennium Dome was created for the year 2000 celebrations. Shrouded in controversy surrounding the funding and the general effectiveness, it stands unused at the moment. Visit it before it gets bulldozered. (Featured in the Bond Film "The World is not enough")

St James Park

by fishandchips

St James Park is a beautiful place in the middle of a very busy town.

With several pathways to wander down and some excellent spots beside water St James Park is not to be missed. One of my best memories was sitting here beside the water looking at the fairy tale rooftops of the Palace.

When visiting London you...

by Aragina

When visiting London you absolutely must: The Parks in London, they are a gentle reprieve from the activity of London life,and you will find them heaving with people during the Summer. I love them whatever the time of year, The pic is off Kensington Place gardens, very close to Kensington Palace in Novemeber. There are several Royal Parks in London, I have only mentioned 4 but there are other parks outside of central London.
Hyde Park: The famous Speakers' Corner is located on the northeast side, where people are free to speak their mind as long as they don't debase the Queen.

Tube: Hyde Park Corner; Marble Arch;

Kensington Gardens: The Park offers tree lined avenues with distant views of Kensington Palace; the Round Pond; extensive informal flower beds; the Peter Pan statue beside the Longwater and the Elfin Oak. The Park also contains The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground and a seven-mile Memorial Walk, which continues through Hyde Park, Green Park and St James's Park, both of which were opened in 2000.

Tube: Lancaster Gate, Queensway

St James Park: The acres known as Green Park were added to St. James's Park in the late 17th Century by Charles II.

Tube: Green Park; St. James's Park; Piccadilly Circus.

Regents Park:The terraces, named after the titles of some of George III's 15 children, and other buildings circle the park clockwise starting at the Park Crescent. Regent's Park is also the site of The London Zoo. The Open Air Theatre, presents two Shakespeare plays, a Broadway musical and a play for children between May and September.

Tube: Regent's Park.

Strange sculpture in Victoria Station

by rexvaughan

This was about the first thing we saw as we entered Victoria Station from Gatwick. I would love to see the photo she is getting done. We both laughed and just thought, "Crazy Brits" but know that they are no stranger or crazier than we are. There was a sign posted by the figure explaining that it was part of a promotion for the launch of a new televison series, "London Ink." I hope they are successful as this is an eye-catching and entertaining bit of art.

Roundheads, Big Sticks

by Mariajoy

You meet the strangest people In the Mall on a Sunday morning. Who should we stumble upon but a bunch of Roundheads... marching to Whitehall...just couldn't figure out why??

The English Civil War