St Christopher's Inn & Belushi's-Hammersmith

Satisfaction Average

More about London

London ,UK, Photos by Benjamin VolochLondon ,UK, Photos by Benjamin Voloch

Beau BrummelBeau Brummel

At Westfield - restaurants and cinema.At Westfield - restaurants and cinema.

in the aislein the aisle

buying prepaid travel cards

by njlanguageartist

My son is 14 years old and is traveling to London for a week to stay with a friend and his family. I have already bought him 100 pounds. Should I get him a prepaid travel card and if so, what is the best one to get?

by Dabs

When we were in London a couple of years ago, we were able to get the kids a special 1 day off peak travelcard for £1, it may have increased to £2. If it was before the off peak period we were still able to use buses

Hi,
Actually I'm thinking about a prepaid visa or mastercard, so that he doesn't run out of money. Or is it just as easy for me to get him traveler's checks.
thanks,

by Dabs

I don't think travelers cheques are as widely used as they once were, I know I haven't used them for many many years. I'd go with the prepaid visa.

The travelcards I was referring to have to be purchased by an adult who is accompanying the child. I see there's something called Visa Travel Money that you might look into, it appears that you can also use it in an ATM to get cash to carry around and I presume it would be valid in London

by carteki

Have you spoken to the friend's parents and asked them what they are doing? If they don't plan to be using public transport then it is not worth it.
Definitely worth getting your son a pre-paid "wallet". It will help in the case of an emergency.

Re: buying prepaid travel cards for use in London

by njlanguageartist

Thank you to both of you for your prompt replies. I actually went to AAA today and purchased a Visa Travel Card. This will enable my 14 year old son, to make purchases in any country using the currency of that nation. If there is a balance, when he returns to America, he will have the money available in US currency. I am a AAA member so it was only $4.95 to purchase. There is a 3% surcharge on purchases each time the card is swiped, but that is nomimal for me considering the peace of mind I will have. Also they will replace the card if it is lost or stolen. You can also set up a PIN number if you would like to use the card at an ATM machine. There is a $3.00 charge I believe for use at an ATM. The AAA representative said this Travel card is very popular for adults, as well as those purchasing it for their children. Cheerio!

by njlanguageartist

Thank you to both of you for your prompt replies. I actually went to AAA today and purchased a Visa Travel Card. This will enable him to make purchases in any country using the currency of that nation. When he returns to America and there is a balance, he will have that available in US currency. I am a AAA member so it was only $4.95 to purchase. There is a 3% surcharge on purchases each time the card is swiped, but that is nomimal for me considering the peace of mind I will have. Also they will replace the card if it is lost or stolen. you can also set up a PIN number if you would like to use the card at an ATM machine. There is a $3.00 charge I beleive for use at an ATM. The AAA representative said this Travel card is very popular for adults, as well as those purchasing it for their children. Cheerio!

Travel Tips for London

Thames cruise is a must

by Toyin

I presumed that a first timer in London should do a River Thames cruise. You only need to purchase the Original Red Bus ticket, and the Thames cruise is all inclusive.
You get to see all of London in one day. The Thames Cruise

Beautiful old buildings

by filipdebont

If you walk around in London, It is really worth to look around.

There are plenty of beautiful old buildings, which are not mentioned in your travel guide, because they have no big historical past.

Like this old house I did see in Praed street, The Grand Junction Arms, I believe it was a former pub.

Royal Lancaster and Hyde Park

by Toyin

This picture was taken from the Hyde park. For tourists that would be visiting hyde park the building at the background is actually that of the Royal Lancaster. So, this is perharps the ideal place to stay if you must visit this park. I must say also that, this area is filled up with Hotels and restaurants, and Oxford street is about ten minutes by Taxi, where you could do night clubing.

ELECTRIC CINEMA

by unexplored

A night out at this Rolls Royce of cinemas is no ordinary evening at the pics. The Edwardian building, the UK's oldest purpose-built cinema, has been luxuriously fitted out with leather armchairs, footstools, tables for food and drink in the auditorium and an upmarket brasserie. Of course, such pampering comes at a slightly higher cost; on full-price nights the seats are ?12.50 or ?30 for a two-seater sofa.

cremation and crematoria

by Manyana

i was surprised to know that cremation is the common way of pay a final respect to the deceased. in saudia, that would be a sign of disgrace and disrespect not to bury the body. on my way around london and travelling across england and wales, i've passed by many crematoria more than any cemetery. a british friend usually gives me the excuse that there's no enough space and cremetion is more affordable! i guess only the religious people will carry out the burial process but the majority would opt for cremation.
honestly, it has offered me an option rather than following the traditions i came from. my friend cremated his wife and had some of her ashes in her family's and in his. i guess it can also give one more last chance for the deceased to be where they want to; everywhere they want to be. maybe i'm becoming more englacised in that matter. i admire it regardless of i was taught!
actually this's one of the cultural shocks i've experienced moving between saudia and england. it wasn't the drinking, clubbing or stripping off that shocked me, but burning the deceased and bathing naked in summer at parks!

Comments