St. David's Hotels

14-20 Norfolk Square, London, W2 1RS, United Kingdom

More about St. David's Hotels

Our home away from home in London

We have been returning as guests of St. David's at least once a year since 1984 which speaks of our love for the place and for the owners and hosts, George and Foulla. The groups that we bring from the U.S. have all been charmed by the warm welcome, the cleanliness and coziness of the accommodations, and the personal service and helpfulness of the staff. George is the chef for the feast which is called the "full English breakfast" which would earn a 5-star rating if such an accolade were awarded.
The hotel is actually three remodeled former townhouses for the British upper class and is situated on lovely Norfolk Square and has an interesting history of its own. It is conveniently located a few minutes' walk from both Paddington Train Station (terminus of the Heathrow Express) and several Underground and bus lines. Even though it doesn't have a few of the amenities of a palatial Americanized hotel, such as a cavernous lobby and an elevator, you will find that those things are more than compensated for by its location and the incomparable service of the staff.
The St. David's Hotel is our "home away from home" in London, and we are proud to recommend it to any of our friends who are visiting London.

George and Foula made us family

We first stayed with George and Foulla about 10 years ago. They made us feel welcome from the start. And we have returned, and returned and returned. What a wonderful place to stay - with the great breakfasts (George even makes egg white omeletes for my wife) devoted staff and clean, tidy rooms and comfortable beds. While the size of the bathrooms are not what we from the states are used to, everything works well and if you need a fan or a hair dryer, just ask. This is a great location - especially if you arrive at Heathrow. Less than 5 miinutes from the Heathrow Express. We highly reccomend the St. David's and Norfolk Court but above all, we treasure our friendship with George and Foula.

A great hotel with very friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member kyseb

My 5 year old son and I just stayed at this hotel and will definitely return. Friends that were travelling with me also enjoyed there stay here. The location is perfect but most of all the staff make you feel so welcome. Breakfast is great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone especially to familes as they so good with kids.

All the comforts of home

What an amazing hotel - this was my second stay at St. David's -- the room was perfect, the mattress even better than mine at home. With the hotel being located very near to Paddington Station - you cannot beat the convenience! I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice, safe, incredibly clean place to stay. It is particularly well suited to families as you instantly feel "at home" when you walk in the lobby. George and Foula are the best hosts ever!

The welcoming and lovely St. David's

I had researched through Trip Advisor and decided with all the great reviews that the St. David's had gotten that it would be the place for us. The advice was very accurate and I am so happy that we chose the St. David's. George and Foula are so warm and welcoming. They had good advice and were very helpful. The English breakfast lasted us well into the late afternoon and was always cooked perfectly! All of the table servers were efficient and pleasant. George made sure he came into the dining area every morning to greet his guests. His warmth is contagious! We loved the different languages and accents we heard in the dining room. A true cultural experience. It was obvious that everyone, including the youngest child, is welcomed!

The St. David's is a lovely old building. The handsome front and historic architecture make you get into the mood for the history of London. The rooms are not big, but we literally used them only for sleeping, showering and dressing. We were out every day by 9 and didn't get in until 8 or 9 every night! Who needs a big room? The showers were very small, but what an interesting challenge for my tall husband. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water. We slept very well on the excellent mattresses as mentioned in other reviews. As to noise, we are used to outside noise since we live on a busy street in an old home. Yes, we could hear the distant rumble of the Tube, some street noises, plumbing sounds, and an occasional door shutting, but it truly did not bother us. It's to be expected in a hotel in a city!

The price is a good value and the location is excellent. We loved the convenience of Paddington Station, Hyde Park, and the buses. We were lucky to have a balcony view of Norfolk Square park. Lovely!

Hopefully we will return to London, and we will definitely return to George and Foula and the St. David's Hotel!!

lots of good things but....

Since I used this site to choose my hotels I felt obligated to contribute to it...Here's what I thought about St. David's:

Pros:
PRICE! (Sundays 50 bps, other days 69 bps, for double with bath)
Breakfast (full english breakfast cooked to order)
Staff (friendly and helpful)
Clean

Cons:
No lift and lots of stairs! (7 flights of stairs at the end of a day is a bit much)
Towels (one thin towel per guest, no hand towels)
and most of all....
The Bathroom (think airplane bathroom with shower - I'm not exaggerating)

Was it the worst place I stayed in europe? Not even close. And the price was fantastic (especially when you consider breakfast is included). But the bathroom is ridiculous, even by London's standards (it really is a plastic airplane bathroom with tiny sink, shower and toilet). And the flights and flights of stairs were really unpleasant after a full day of walking. So even though the staff is nice and the breakfast was good, those two problems would rule out a return visit for me. However if you don't mind the stairs and can live with the airplane bathroom, then it's a great deal.

Nice hotel for the price

Very good for the price - a great value. Right next to the Paddington Station which has the express train to Heathrow airport. I could hear the trains in the morning from my room, but it wasn't too bad. No elevator, which didn't bother me, but I didn't have too much luggage. Nice breakfast. Very convenient location. Great place to spend the night if you have an early flight the next day.

St. David's Hotel: Clean, Inexpensive and Convenient

by TripAdvisor Member Great_Auk

My wife and I just spent 5 days at the St. David's Hotel in London. Overall, I have to say this hotel is great for the price. I believe the 5 nights cost 328 GBP.

The location was perfect for us. Our flight arrived at Heathrow at around 9:00 A.M. and we arrived at the hotel at 10:30 A.M. Paying a little bit extra for the Express train was worth it. St. David's Hotels is a 3 minute walk from the Paddington train station. Given the luggage my wife packed this was a blessing.

Hotel check-in went smoothly. Our room (with shower, sink and toilet) was on the third floor. Note: This hotel doesn't have an elevator. The room wasn't large but was fine for the amount of time we spent in it. The room and hotel were clean and comfortable (no A/C but it didn't matter while we were there since temperatures didn't go above 20 degrees Celsius). A full english breakfast is including in the cost.

The close proximity of the hotel to the Paddingtion tube station made access easy to all of the sights and sounds of London. In addition, it's in walking distance to Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens and a number of other attractions. For example, I walked to Kensington Palace, the Diana Memorial Fountain, Buckingham Palace, St. Jame's Park, Horse Guards Parade, Cabinet War Rooms and Piccadily Circus from 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. one morning-afternoon.

Enjoy this no frills hotel at a great price. We will stay there again.

Don't waste your money here.

The small room and tiny bathroom were the least of our problems. Housekeeper walked in without knocking. Used condom (not ours) hanging on wires outside our window. Came back one day to find the maid had left our door ajar. English breakfast = a mediocre fried or scrambled egg, very salty dry ham, beans, and sausage. Staying for a week, you'd like some variety, but the wait staff reacted with surly looks if you requested anything other than the English breakfast. Frankly, not much else available except corn flakes and yogurt. Maid never left new soap after our initial arrival - had to ask front desk for tiny bar of soap every other day. Flimsy mattress and ill-fitting sheets. Inadequate shower curtain left water all over bathroom floor. Overall, a cheap, tacky, slightly icky hotel.

A good value in a great location

by TripAdvisor Member omahatraveler

Stayed at the St. David's June 20-22nd during a vacation in London. Let's be clear - if you're expecting the Ritz, or even a Holiday Inn, this isn't the place for you. However, if you want a place to sleep at night, a good breakfast to start your day and a good location to see London from, you should strongly consider staying here. Based on that, it deserves Above Average.

Had a 3rd floor room with in suite bathroom, small but usable. Given the high temps last week in London (mid 80s) being on the 3rd floor wasn't ideal but slept well all three nights. Our use of the room was to sleep, shower in morning, and not be back again until after dinner. You would not want to stay in your room here, but you're in London, so why would you stay in anyway? (And yes, the included soap was small but at Boots in Paddington you can pick up a bar for 80p so it's no big deal.)

Found owner to be very friendly and gracious. Breakfast was a true English breakfast and very good. Hotel is located 1 block from Paddington Station, from which you can go directly to Heathrow on the express train, grab the Green/Yellow lines, and catch trains to Oxford and the west. Located on a very pretty square, a good Indian restaurant and some pubs are very close by.

If you're coming to London to sightsee and need a place to sleep, and don't expect it to be like an "American" hotel, you'll like this choice. If not, pay a lot more and stay somewhere else.

Comments