St Giles Hotel

Mixed bag

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 17, 2010

Rooms:
The normal rooms are so small, you could just about swing a hamster. The whole hotel has a stuffy atmosphere even when outside is cool, it's like they have the heating on the whole time. There is no aircon in the basic rooms, so opening the window is essential, but then you get the London street noise, so can't sleep either way...
I don't know whether it's a different standard or something, but the "double" bed is more like a "1.5" bed, definitely not a standard size.
The bathroom wasn't sealed properly and no doubt was leaking downstairs. The shower curtain had brown stains of an unknown substance. A couple we were with, who booked the same room, got a newly tiled bathroom, and a proper double bed, so there are no hard fast rules on what state the bedroom is in.

Service:
This is where it gets better because the staff were very helpful, especially the concierge. One part of our stay did irritate, the maid ignores "Do not disturb" signs, so be warned if you want a lie in, or don't want anyone in your room.

Hotel Facilities:
The Oriental bar was good, and food was very tasty. The breakfast room however is a nightmare, you find yourself fighting with people where queues start and end, and then wait 10 minutes queuing for extremely bland food (ok the bacon was good enough to make a sandwich). Crowded is an understatement for the state of the breakfast room. Another annoyance with breakfast is the lack of toast and/or toasting facilities, although I hate those conveyor belt toasters, which just lightly brown the bread instead of making proper toast, but I digress...
Another annoyance was the lifts, you'd wait a long time for a lift, and when it arrived it was full. The lifts broke down at least three times while we were there.
There was a gym and swimming pool, but never checked these out.

Location:
This is the only excellent feature of this hotel, you are a 10 minute walk from the West End, Oxford Street is on your door step, and you can walk to most of London's attractions if you're fit enough.

Overall:
I would never stay in this hotel again, unless I paid extra for the executive rooms with aircon and had my breakfast delivered to my room. The service and location are enough for me to consider doing that, but I'm more likely to check out other options.

Unique Quality: Location and service

Directions: Off Tottenham Court Road, and near Oxford Street

EXCELLENT LOCATION

by written on December 23, 2007

Stopped there last night,can`t moan about anything,staff friendly and helpfull we paid £77 per double room including full english breakfast.

Unique Quality: has gym and pool.Is right on top of theatre land which is what we did,stayed other years with same results.

Directions: near junction of tottenham court rd and oxford st.

timlloydlangston's Profile Photo

Central location, but flawed

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 5, 2007

The St Giles offers a great location to stay, but you need to know what you're letting yourself in for. I stayed there on business for one night so wasn't worried - but even I couldn't stand to be in the place too long.

The rooms are incredibly compact - if you're a 'larger' build this can be problematical. Over 6ft tall and your legs will be out of the bed, overweight and you may struggle to get on the loo. If you suffer from claustrophobia, you'll have checked into room 101...

There's no air-con so if it's hot you'll be thinking about opening a window - however I'd think twice. The Tottenham Court Road is as noisy as a herd of elephants shod in tap shoes stampeeding on a tin roof - even in the middle of the night (actually, especially in the middle of the night). Industrial strength ear plugs are one solution - I got very drunk which also worked quite well once I'd passed out.

Unique Quality: Great location, astounding gym (incl 25m pool), worlds slowest lifts and check-in, innexpensive, noisy

Directions: Just off the Tottenham Court Road

jovik's Profile Photo

Billig og meget sentralt. 50 m fra Oxford Street

by written on September 18, 2007

In Norwegian:

Billig og meget sentralt. 50 m fra Oxford Street
- hotell med 670 rom
- Alle rom med TV/eget bad
- Engelsk frokost inkludert i prisen
- Svømmebasseng i hotellets kjeller
St. Giles Hotel ligger rett ved Oxford Street og Tottenham Court med gåavstand til China Town, Theaterland, Covent Garden og Leicester Square.

Brilliant for shopping

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 4, 2007

Location is everything. This is a very reasonably priced 3 star hotel 1 minute from the crossroads of Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road, Charing Cross Road and New Oxford Street so you've got shops, the British Museum and theatres literally a few minutes walk away; Traf Square, the Strand, the Mall, Buck House, Whitehall, the Thames etc about half an hour by foot. Brilliant location. Room was tiny but clean, rather too hot but the window openend. Bathroom well stocked. Price included full buffet breakfast. The food was fine if rather mass produced and the atmosphere was rather like a cafeteria in which nearly every table was taken. We went especially because of the swimming pool (how many London hotels have a swim pool???) which we were told when we got there was closed for maintenance so boo boo boo. It was rather noisy at night, the walls are rather thin and the window couldn't keep out the night time of revellers, barking dogs and car alarms. But when we woke up and looked out of the window we could see Big Ben!

Unique Quality: Swimming pool (if open, see above)
View of Big Ben.
Perfect location.

Directions: Just off Tottenham Court Road, about a minute's walk from the TCR tube.

rsilva's Profile Photo

Probably the worst hotel I have ever seen

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 9, 2005

Some people seem to have enjoyed this Hotel, how I don't know.

I'll start with the good part: Location was very good, right nest to Tottenham Court Road with the subway station a few meters from the Hotel. That's it.

Now the bad things:

I arrived quite late (about 21.30) and asked at the reception where I could have something to eat. They told me to go to the restaurant bar that they would be able to prepare something for me. When I got there the person asked me who had told me that (that they would be able to prepare something for me) and told me to go with him. He took me back to the reception and yelled at his colleague "You know you can't tell customers they can eat at this time" and told me "Sorry Sir, I cannot prepare anything for you". That was one of the most surreal experiences I ever had in a Hotel.

The room was the smallest I have ever seen. I had to open my suitcase on the bed as there was not enough space on the floor. Sitting on the toiled, I had to open the bathroom door as my knees would hit the door.
The next morning, I wanted to take a shower but there was not hot water. I asked for a new room, which I got. It was just as small.

The morning after, once again there was no hot water and neither in the morning after... apparently now the boiler was to blame. 2 days hot water in 5, is not exactly good.

Another thing was the wake-up call. In 5 days that I stayed, I once got the call at the right time, once half an our late, once I got a guy rushing into my room without knocking about 40 minutes late and twice I did not get it at all. Every day I would complain, get an apology and the promise it would work the next day.

Not only this but it was also the most expensive non-luxury Hotel I have ever stayed in.

I was travelling for business.

I will NEVER EVER stay at this hotel again.

MedioLatino's Profile Photo

St Giles - Good price, reliable service

by written on November 15, 2004

If you are looking for a reliable 3 star hotel in the center, which also offers recreation possibilities, St Giles might be the place to go to.

It's located on Bedford Avenue, just 2 minutes walking from Tottenham Court Road tube station (Oxford street). The Soho and the British Museum are within 5-10 minutes walking.

Good choice for a business trip and also as a sightseeing "base". :)

Unique Quality: Central location,
Swimming pool of 25 metres, gym,
Easynet Internet Cafe just 1 minute from the Hotel.

Directions: From Tottenham Court Road tube station just start walking on Tottenham Court Road and turn right to Bedford Avenue.

lilnation's Profile Photo

Central Accommodations

by written on October 18, 2004

The St Giles is located in a great area if you like to shop. The Hotel itself islocated near Oxford St which is great for shoppers. I am a football fan so I could not help myself from buying a football jersery of one of the London teams from the many athletic wear shops located on Oxford. The Hotel is quite big which offers 655 rooms. So it is not smaill enough for offering a personal touch to each client but rooms were clean and staff were helpful. Room was adequate and comfortable as hotel rooms go (for single rooms do not expect much in terms of size).

Unique Quality: Rooms had all necessary ammenities such as washroom, shower, TV,phone and electric kettle for coffee in each room. Hotel offered a workout area in the basement and swimming pool. Never had the opportunity to try the workout facilties b/c I was too busy seeing the sights.

Directions: Located at the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road in the Heart of London's West End, the St. Giles Hotel is within easy walking distance of the main shopping areas, attractions and theatres.

Elainehead's Profile Photo

Well located 3-star hotel

by written on June 5, 2004

I chose this hotel because of its location and also because a VT user reviewed this place. I wasn't expecting much after seeing the photos on the hotel's web site.
I was actually impressed when I got there. I was so tired of walking and also lacking sleep, I didn't notice the reception was "upstairs" (flight of stairs), then someone from the staff asked me if I was checking in, I was out of breath but I succeeded to mumble "yes". He helped with my luggage and showed me the reception desk.
I got the double room n° 405 (non-smoking). Everything seemed fine on the 4th floor, after leaving the elevator to go to my room, I had to pass one door that led to a dusty corridor... I thought my room would be a horror, but no, my room was okay. And very different from the photo. It was considerably big and there was a lot of light (no window curtains, just blinds). My room view was Tottenham Court Road and a bit of Bedford Avenue. Even though it was a double-glazing window, I could still hear some street noise, but I was so tired that I didn't have any sleep problems. The room was pretty basic and clean. The bathroom was okay and small, with a shower and there was even liquid soap in the shower, but it gave me an allergy in my hand.
Too bad there wasn't a minibar, otherwise my staying would have been perfect!
After checking out the hotel, if your flight is at the end of the day, you can let your luggage at the hotel. They provide luggage storage for FREE!!
I paid £ 79 for the night (VAT included). I booked it without giving a credit card number through the HRS (www.hrs.de) site.

Unique Quality: Location (West End and near the Tottenham Court Road tube) and nice staff.

Directions: Nearest tube: Tottenham Court Road

Also close to bus stops. On the way back to Gatwick airport, I took a bus to Victoria Station and then the train, just to avoid the tube station stairs and crowd.

yeikloen's Profile Photo

Small Reasonable Rooms in Oxford

by written on January 28, 2003

About 3mins walk to Tottenham Undergound Station and the beginning of the other end of Oxford St. There is a convenience store just around the corner open 24hours, but sadly no beer after 2300.... (how can this be in London, no beer after 2300 at convenience store)

Unique Quality: Since most of the building around London are not soo high, you can get a pretty good view if you stay at the higher levels. Comes with a Swimming pool but think its close during winter.. didn't check it out.

But it comes with an excellent breakfast.

Directions: Just behind YMCA Leisure Centre along Tottenham St.

TRimer's Profile Photo

Modern Business Hotel

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2002

We picked this hotel as part of a package deal with British Air. It was a great deal- but I felt as though we were staying in Times Square in New York. The hotel itself is across the street from a tube station which made it convenient. However, it was sooo noisy at night (even though we were on a high floor) when the pubs emptied out.

Directions: Located at the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road in the Heart of London's West End.

Nearby St Giles Hotel

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Trafalgar Square
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Department stores
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
The Thames
Architectural
Money Matters
Warnings and Dangers
Public Transport (not taxis)
Parks and Gardens
Galileo's Locanda Toscana
Gojo, Notting Hill
Micky's Fish Bar, Paddington
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Piccadilly