Strand Palace Hotel London

Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 69% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

A Good choice in the West End

The Strand Palace hotel has a perfect location in the West End. It's close to everything, with the National Gallery, Covent Garden, Trafalger Square and The Embankment all within a few minutes walk.

We booked online direactly with the hotel and got a fairly decent rate of EUR 80 per night for room and breakfast. For a hotel in W1 that is quite reasonable.

For this we got a 'compact' room and bath facing into an interior courtyard. Space was tight but as we were out all day it didn't really matter. On the plus side, it was spotlesly clean and the beds were comfortable. A fan was provided which was very welcome in summer.

The hotel is large and there's quite a buzz of activity in the foyer and bars. These public areas are bright, comfortable and spacious and we enjoyed socialising here last thing at night.

Unique Quality: For me, this hotel's most outstanding quality was its absolutely fabulous breakfast. London is quite an expensive city and having a big breakfast will save you lots of money during the day. The hot and cold buffet, fresh fruit, yogurt and pastries will inspire gluttony but you won't need to eat again until dinner.

For its generous breakfast and excellent location, I would recommend it as a good and not too expensive West End accommodation choice.

Directions: On the Strand, a few minutes walk from Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square

• donpaul77's Profile Photo

Lucky for its location

This place is all about the location. It is right on the Strand and minutes from Trafalgar Square.

Cons:
    The rooms are small and the common areas shabby (except for the lobby).
    Ventilation is poor in the rooms, very stuffy
    My door was literally coming off it's hinges
    Wireless internet connection was spotty

Pros:
    The staff was pleasant enough
    The rooms were clean
    As mentioned above, the location is prime

• tvor's Profile Photo

On the Strand, a Palace?

The Strand palace hotel is all about location. Smack dab on the Strand, 2 or 3 blocks from Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross station on one side, Aldwych, Waterloo Bridge and Embankment station on the other and fronting Covent Garden, it just doesn't get much better than this. The hotel is quite large, 9 floors high with several restaurants and bars under it's roof but you probably won't need to eat there with Covent Garden at your feet. However, we did eat at the Carvery one night before the theatre and also had lunch in the bar on the day we checked out. Both meals were very good. A full breakfast buffet came with the room and that was also very good with lots of choice. The breakfast room could get busy but we always got there without having to wait for a table. You can have breakfast in the Carvery or in Johnston's, the other main restaurant.

We had a twin room at first, on the fifth floor. It was adequate in size with a large-ish bathroom (along with heated towel rack!) The only complaint i would have is that the door opened right into the room without any sort of "hallway" and that seemed to be what made it noisy. You could hear anyone out in the hall talking or laughing. However, it was facing an inside "court"... i.e. no view but no traffic noise either.

My fiance and i then had a double room on the 7th floor that did have the inside entryway and we found that quiet although this room faced the Strand so you could hear noise from the traffic. A fan was provided though in March, we didn't need it and could leave the windows closed. The room was nice and large and sunny. My mom's single room on the same floor was small but sunny and cozy and she was quite comfortable.

Unique Quality: The beds are very comfy. The breakfast buffet was very good. The Concierge desk men were really helpful to us all week and the staff were all really good, quite friendly and welcoming. We used the bus exclusively and there are loads of busses that go by the hotel. Covent Garden with all the theatres is right there behind the hotel and we could walk to quite a few places in the area. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. It isn't a budget hotel but not hugely expensive either. I usually go for cheaper rooms, in the 70 pound per night range, this was about 150 pounds per night per room booked through the travel agency so you might find that more expensive than average though for London, i would say it's the high end of average.

Directions: East on the Strand from Trafalgar Square or Charing Cross station about 3 blocks.

• Excellent location, Good value

this summer, a close friend has seduced me to stay with her at this place; the location is within a walking distance from best of london's attractions. it is the STRAND for goodness sake. three minute and you will be in trafalgar square and the national art gallery, 5 minutes to covent garden, 10 minutes to soho and leicester square and piccadilly cirucs, and you can even take the bus no. 11 to the gorgeous Tower Bridge in a 10-minute ride. what else are you looking for? and how can i say no to such seduction?

the lobby is small and standard, don't have expectations if you're looking for a luxurious reception. but basically you can find all the basic services available.

the room we've got was standard, not fancy but cosy and should do it, though my friend didn't like it much (she had no clue where she was staying, and she'll kill me when she reads this,lol). i'd rate as a 3-star though the hotel can offer 5-star accommodation as well, inclusive of breakfast buffet

rate: £70-£200 inc breakfast

you'd never find something at £70 in the heart of central london!

Unique Quality: superb location

Directions: Nearest tube station: Charing Cross (Northern Line)
    Buses: plenty; 9, 24, 176, 88, 11, 15...

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

a mass tourism dump

We had booked this hotel on the Internet because of its location and price. There were at least two coach buses unloading when we arrived, so we had to wait about half an hour to check in. This is a 2 or 3-star hotel (though I wouldn't be generous enough to rate them that) so we carried our own bags to our room, as expected.

The room was tiny and oriented along the hallway wall, that is, the bed was very close to the hallway and the feeble door did nothing to block any noise. The furniture was old and drab, the bathroom basic utilitarian, and the room dark.

All the people on the coaches knew each other and were running up and down the hallways hollering at each other. We called the front desk to get another room and were told they would get back to us. Half an hour later we hadn't heard anything, so we sacrificed our first night's payment and left.

We walked down the street, paid a fortune at One Aldwych, and were very happy to do so.

The Strand Palace Hotel is a dump!

Directions: On The Strand, close walking distance to all the West End attractions

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Strand Palace Hotel

The Strand Palace Hotel is a great choice for location, price, and comfort. I traveled to London and booked the hotel along wtih my flight at discounted rates for the off season in January. I paid $800 for rountrip airline tickets from Baltimore to London including the price of the hotel for four days. Each morning the hotels offers a full English breakfast. There are three bars in the hotel for late night parties with friends, or just a quiet intimate drink with someone special. Unless the VTers are in town. There are no quiet moments in the hotel when this fun loving rowdy bunch takes over.

The Strand could not have been a better choice. The staff was helpful and pleasant. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square and many other sites are within walking distance of the hotel.

• Senoritasmile's Profile Photo

Very convenient for Covent Garden

This large, centrally located hotel is just a 5 min walk from Covent Garden tube and great for reaching the buzzy nightlife in both Covent Garden and Leicester Square. The hotel has several restaurants that seemed to be pretty busy (including a popular carvery) and the breakfast buffet was impressive. I was sharing a standard twin which was blandly decorated, small bathroom, small room actually. Price reflects its location.

Directions: Very close to the Savoy on the Strand on opposite side of road

• Suet's Profile Photo

Right on the Strand

I took a single room, funnily enough Bernishand and Camcorderman declined to share with me (could it have been the snoring that put them off?) which was an adequate size, i.e. not the broom cupboard, clean well appointed ensuite shower and all the usual stuff like TV, phone, room service, tea and coffee making facilities.... etc etc.

Cost was ?49.00 a night for me, breakfast was ?12.50 which I declined, you can get a much better and cheaper meal in a small cafe along the street.

I booked the hotel using British Hotel Reservation Centre which is pretty good at finding you something close to what you want.

Unique Quality: Mercifully, the windows actually OPENED in this hotel, so that you could hear the sounds of London traffic and reduce the condensation in the room after a shower. I didn't have a great view, just a small balcony which, after a night on the town I decided was foolish to explore.

Directions: Right in the middle of the Strand.... Central London

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

The Strand Palace: Fear and Loathing in London

Considering the amount on unintentional damage I did to the room during my stay here, the staff remained friendly and helpful throughout my ordeal of madness. I don't know what my problem was that week, but it seemed I was breaking things every time I turned around. It was like being in the movie, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". The first thing to go was the porcelain soap dish that was affixed to the wall in the shower. I'd been out having a few pints, turned on the shower, got in, and somehow managed to knock the soap-dish so that it came out of the tiled wall and shattered into 5 pieces on the bottom of the tub. Oops!
    I explained to reception the next day what had happened, she eyed me suspiciously, shook her head, and laughed. It was fixed several days later.
    On the third day I lit a cigarette, yawned, and stretched. My hand hit the wall and the cigarette flew sending red embers everywhere. Luckily, I managed to prevent a massive blaze and later rubbed most of the burn marks out of the carpet. I decided to apply the "it was like that when I got here" rule to that episode. I'm not even going to get into the spilled beer, coffee, and tea incidents.
    This was the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in. When you opened the door it literally knocked into the nightstand. What didn't make sense was that the bathroom was the same size as the bedroom, if not bigger. The room was clean and comfortable. A little cool at night, but there was spare blankets in the closet. The bed leaned slightly to one side, so it always made me feel as though I was going to accidentally fall out. The bathroom (before I got through with it) was tiled, bright, and clean, with good towels. The shower pressure was fantastic! My only real complaint was that at 9:00 in the mornings, there wasn't a single drop of hot water to be had. I usually showered slightly later to avoid the hypothermic water.
    For the price I paid, the damage I did, and the service I received, this hotel was a bargain!

Unique Quality: I absolutely loved the location of this hotel on the Strand. It was within easy walking distance of 3 tube stops, Trafalgar Square, Covent Gardens, Piccadilly Circus, Fleet Street, the Temple Church, a large variety of cafes, restaurants, nightclubs, and pubs.
    I ordered beer from room service in the middle of a Saturday night and delivery was quick, friendly, and unpresuming. They also had a great and friendly concierge, desk staff, and downstairs bar.

Directions: On the Strand. Easiest tube stop is Embankment or Charings Cross.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

LETS ALL GO DOWN THE STRAND

Of course we had to stay here, this was where Vivalasteph, Gillian_Mclaughlin and Littlesam1 were staying, we were going to all meet together for the first timr after knowing and loving each other for almost three years, we`d have stayed here even if it was a flop house

But it wasnt......

although some of the fixtures and fittings were dated and probably needed refurbishing this is a very comfortable hotel to stay in, its very clean and our room while not large was airy. The Art Deco style may look a little sparse and clinical to those not familiar with the period but we like it

and the bed....... the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in, either that or I was sedated by the large amounts of alcohol I was forced to consume

Unique Quality: the hotel has a great location, right on the Strand opposite the Savoy and convenient for Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square and theatreland, there are several bars in the hotel which get very busy after the theatre and are very smokey, the staff were pleasant but not particularly friendly with the exception of the concierge

there is a luggage room and concierge service to book tours theatre tickets etc

we didnt eat at the hotel as cooked breakfast was ?14 but we ate in a small cafe in the next side street for ?4, there are plenty of cafes and restaurants close by

I must mention the cocktails, at ?7.50 they arent cheap, but the Pina Colada here is the best I have EVER had

Directions: opposite the Savoy Hotel

• rdo911's Profile Photo

Sleep at your own Risk

Bad experience. TV reception was broken. Called maintenance but this was Friday night. Nobody can look at it until Monday. The bed had a nasty lump to it. Kept my time in the room to a minimum.

Unique Quality: The only reason I choose to stay here was it was just across the river from Waterloo Station. It's about a 15 minute walk.

Directions: If you are coming from Waterloo Station, cross Waterloo Bridge. The first cross street is The Strand. Turn left and the hotel is two blocks ahead of you.

• Noisy and not air conditioned 1987

Our stay here in August of 1987 was HOT.
    The rooms were not air conditioned and there was a heat wave at the time. Though the windows were open, there wasn't a breeze - and then the traffic noise was terrible.
    I'd probably not stay there again unless it was a cooler part of the year.

• jilldj's Profile Photo

Great Location

hotels in the heart of london are pretty expensive. the strand palace is cheaper than most hotels in the covent garden area without sacrificing class and quality.

this is a great hotel to stay at bec its within walking distance or a short train ride away from areas of interest. the shops at covent garden is only a couple of blocks away.

if you want to stay in london's trendy soho area, this hotel is worth looking into...

Unique Quality: hotel decor and interior, breakfast, location, close to shopping

Directions: soho

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Good location and not much else

The hotel lobby is impressive, but unfortunately the splendour does not continue in the rooms -- they are okay, but nothing special.

Coming from Scandinavia, I'd expect to have fitted sheets in places with hefty price tags as in this one. I also asked for a non-smoking room (and got one), but there was still an ashtray in the table and smoky aroma in the room. Fortunately the bed did not smell bad.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. The theatre land and Covent Garden are just behind the corner.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo

In the heart of Londontown

For the traveller looking to stay within steps of the West End Theatre district, near to the Courts or Covent Garden, and across the street from Tea at the Savoy, no location could be better! Accessible from the Embankment, Charing Cross and Covent Garden tube stations it offers quick connections to any point in the metropolitan area.

Interior lower floor rooms are Spartan - yet clean and very quiet. Breakfast is served both Continental and English style, but get there before 9:00 AM, to avoid the crowds that will descend. The hotel is apparently a favorite on the group-tour circuit, so is fully booked nearly every night, even in the 'shoulder season' of late March.

Unique Quality: The friendly staff at the Concierge desk are extremely attentive, unlike the breakfast room staff who seemed a bit 'overworked and underpaid', serving the morning hordes. A free morning paper at breakfast is a plus.

Directions: Directly across the street from the venerable Savoy Hotel.

More about Strand Palace Hotel London

Strand Palace London

by jgivens

Does anyone know if the rooms at the Strand Palace are airconditioned? We will be there in late July and are hot natured people. Please respond.

Re: Strand Palace London

by Fijura

Hi,
Some of the rooms are air conditioned and some of the rooms aren't. If last summer is anything to go by you will need a room with air conditioning....may be best to try and get them to guarantee you a room now?

Re: Strand Palace London

by chrishc

Can we get two hot summers in a row, I doubt it?

Re: Re: Strand Palace London

by UKdiverMichael

Not in England we can't! lol
Michael