Surtees Hotel

Satisfaction Average

More about London

Exterior (1)Exterior (1)

Brixton AcademyBrixton Academy

The spicy chicken skewerThe spicy chicken skewer

Tower of LondonTower of London

luggage storage at Heathrow or Paddington Station

Hello Everyone!

We will fly into Heathrow T1 on Cyprus Airways and out of T5 on BA in Sept with about a 10-hour delay in between. And then on the way back from Canada vice versa. Into T5 and out of T1 again with a long delay.

Does anyone know about luggage storage at either Heathrow or Paddington Station? We would likely use the time to take the Paddington Express into London, and more than likely it would be too early to check-in directly ahead of time. Or would it be?

Thank you for your advice. Cheers. MrBill.

by chopsy

Hi,

There is luggage storage at all airport terminals - see below for details.

Also bear in mind that T1 is a long way from T5! It's a 20 minute bus ride or ~5 minute train ride.

Cheers
Anil

by zuriga

I'm pretty sure that one can check in at T5 many hours in advance. The most modern baggage check in now sorts things and holds it, putting it on the right plane (hopefully). I did something similar at American Airline's new terminal at JFK last year. I would check with BA.

by MrBill

I will check with BA, but often they do not start check-in until 2-hours before departure. As we arrive 10-12 hours early they may not allow us to check-in. Rationally, yes, they should. Yes, I have checked-in the night before as well. Practically, do airlines often make it as hard as possible for passengers? Yes, they do. My recent flight out of FFT on Cyprus Airlines had us in the same check-in queue as a whole Jumbo going to Vietnam, and only four check-in counters open. For some reason it took 15-20 minutes to check-in each group to Vietnam, we weren't flying on Vietnamese Airlines, but we still had to wait. Have I had other such experiences at Heathrow? Most definitely!

by MrBill

Thanks Chopsy. It looks like if we cannot change our flights then we will go over to T5 and leave our luggage there before heading into London. Cheers.

by zuriga

Mr. Bill - my job is writing about airports, so I sure know there are a lot of ridiculous things that go on at many of them. We recently flew out of T5 for the first time and were happy with the experience. Coming home, it was only 35 minutes from plane landing to leaving the door for our car. That's pretty good and included customs.

The new baggage systems (including new machines that will eliminate the need for liquid prohibitions, shoe taking off etc.) are coming to a lot of places soon. But then a new terminal like T5 just had the baggage system break down ... again.. the other day. Just machines....

I hope all goes well for you. Enjoy London and your trip.

by MrBill

Thanks. It looks like we are sticking with our pre-agreed flight plans, so I will just have to take my luggage from T1 to T5 if I cannot check it all the way through. Thank you for your help and suggestions. Cheers.

Travel Tips for London

GO EVERYWHERE!!!I would say...

by Alexierose28

GO EVERYWHERE!!!I would say try EVERYTHING!!!! I think what I miss most about London is the ability to do anything I wanted whenever I wanted. London is a great place and there is never a dull or boring moment.

Monument to Joseph Bazalgette (1819-1891)

by Mariajoy

Just next to Hungerford Bridge, on the Embankment, there is a wall mounted monument to Joseph Bazalgette - the civil engineer who changed London forever by masterminding the sewerage system throughout the city in the mid 1800s. Cholera at that time was rife and Londoners died in their thousands. His sheer brilliance and visionary thinking revolutionised public attitudes to health, hygiene and water-borne diseases. It transformed a foetid and stinking city into one where such diseases became a thing of the past and life became infinitely more tolerable for its citizens.

An excerpt from the website Joseph Bazalgette

"He saw to it that the flow of foul water from the old sewers and underground rivers was intercepted, and diverted to flow along new, large, low-level sewers, built behind embankments on the riverfront and taken to new treatment works."

For more information about the fascinating history of the sewerage system of London please check the website. Today, walking through Soho and China Town, these 150 year old drainage tunnels are at last being modernised and replaced with a new system. It's causing some inconvenience and disruption to pedestrians but the work is crucial and I hope it will be as long lasting and effective as Mr Bazalgette's!

Visit Tower Bridge.

by londonlover

Visit the Tower Bridge. There is a museum inside one of the towers, but I just had time to walk by. It's a beautiful bridge, and looking back, it's still hard for me to believe I was there! :)

www.towerbridge.org.uk

Stand On The RIGHT Of An Escalator

by luke850

In London there is an unwritten rule when using an escalator. You ONLY stand on the right hand side of an escalator! This is so people are free to walk up the left hand side. Ignore this rule to your peril! You will get an earful from the angry office worker who just wants to get home quickly.

"Up West"

by KennetRose

Londoners talk about going "up west" when going to the centre of town (the "West End") shopping or for a night out. This is true even in Notting Hill, which is due west of the West End, so a Notting Hiller going up west will actually be travelling due east.

Comments