TOP Hotel John Howard Apartments

6 Queens Gate, Kensington, London, SW7 5EH, United Kingdom

More about London

Tower of LondonTower of London

al_mary pulling a pint of bitteral_mary pulling a pint of bitter

Left wing - Apr 2010Left wing - Apr 2010

Guildhall fascadeGuildhall fascade

January Sales

by moi1

I will be going to london during the last week of January will there still be good sales please ?? . . thanks :)

by clareabee

some of the sales will still be on but will probably be the leftovers. Harrods always has things left in the purfume department and the underwear department (i normally go to london with work 3rd week in january and head there!)

Most of the sales start after christmas before new year - many now even start on Boxing day!

Is there anything inparticular you are looking for?

by leics

The sales are not as they once were, I'm afraid, and, as noted, they start on Boxing Day (26th December).

But many places have reductions and special prices all through the year, so you will still be able to find bargains.

by moi1

Thanks for your answers . . Re sales I was talking more about clothes. I have been to london a couple of times but never in sales . . I usually buy some bargains from Primark and Matalan . . my question is if i come at the end of January do these have clothes which are a bargain or only left overs?? I would be interested for example to buy trousers and shirts for my husband apart from clothes for me. . thanks again :)

by leics

By the end of January you will not find much which was in the 'January sales'....as we said, these generally begin on Boxing Day nowadays. Sadly.

But you may well find something, and Primark is cheap all year round anyway.

by clareabee

TK Maxx - my favourite store! - yes that place is definately worth a rumage around if you happen to be near one!

Department stores seem to have offers of some description on all year round so worth keeping your eyes peeled!

by planxty

I shall defer to the ladies superior knowledge on the shopping front. I do seem to remember last year, due to bad pre-Christmas sales some places actually started "January" sales a little before Christmas itself. I am not sure if this will happen again, I suppose it depends on market forces.

I would think that by the end of January you will be lucky to find a real bargain.

by clareabee

ha ha I know plenty of guys that like to shop - but you are right planxty...the sales seem to be starting earlier and earlier...we will be having sales all year round soon lol!

Travel Tips for London

FREE London - London's Squares!

by M0B1US

Although many people think of London as a built up metropolis, it is actually a very green city with about a half dozen sprawling 'Royal' parks and numerous commons and greens in its environs.

In the centre itself are literally dozens of London squares, each of which acting as a small oasis of green space amongst the concrete of the city. These are places where the public can relax and unwind, although many of the smaller ones are the exclusive domains of the people that live around them...

Pictured is Russell Square. A picturesque park with a nice cafe that's recently had a makeover and is looking great because of it - tucked away from the maddening tourist crowds...

It's also a great place to hang out to or from the British Museum 5 mins away as it is between Russell Square tube (2 mins) and there. The great Renoir cinema is just around the corner and the University College of London almost surrounds it. In fact I used to go to evening classes at a college on the square for about a year.

The are plenty of mid to high end medium sized hotels in the area as Bloomsbury/Fitzrovia is a decidely civilised part of London to stay in - assuming you have the cash to splash... Ahem, one of the reasons I am so well acquainted with this square is the fact that a few years back myself and three others embarrassed the hell out of ourselves running around in circles flapping our wings and squawking like chickens! We were, er, filming our intros as interviewers for C4's Moviewatch hosted by Johnny Vaughan... Oh well, moving swiftly onwards...

Afterwards we had a private preview of a pretty heavy French film at the Renoir in nearby Brunswick Square, which is one of London's leading Arthouse cinemas.

London Map location of Russell Square:

www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=530151&y=182061&z=1&sv=russell+sq&st=1&tl=Russell+Square,+WC1&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

Ian Wright!

by Blatherwick

As I was walking across Westminster Bridge towards Big Ben I noticed a TV crew doing something. Then I saw the Lonely Planet/Pilot Guides/Globetrekker himself. That's right, Ian Wright in the flesh. I went up to him when he appeared to be on a break and introduced myself and we shook hands. He was good enough to get a member of his team to take a picture of us together. He seemed as good a guy as he seems on the shows.

The landmark of London. One of...

by Hanna_S

The landmark of London. One of the most popular bridges in the world. Present on every second postcard from London. That's Tower Bridge over river Thames. It's not very old as some people think - it was constructed in 1894.

Photo: Tower Bridge - opened!!!

Public etiquette

by smirnofforiginal

Yes, we love our queues! Nice & orderly, straight in line.... and may hail and brimstone fall upon he who cannot wait... patiently!!!

The simple fact is queues work. Make noe mistake - queues are taken very seriously and people that shove and push-in and jump their place will be frowned upon and considered rude and of bad manners... the chances are somebody will voice their opinions of you should you ocmmit this faux pas!

The British Museum: this is...

by shivan

The British Museum: this is the stone, called Rosetta, that allowed scientists to decipher egyptian
hieroglyphics. It contains the same sentence written in hieroglyphics, greek, and I don't remember which other language. This has been the key. British museum really has a great sample of the whole mankind ancient cultures.

Comments