The Burford Bridge

Box Hill, Surrey, United Kingdom

More about London

Buckingham Palace, LondonBuckingham Palace, London

The porch under which millions of feet have passedThe porch under which millions of feet have passed

Hampstead HeathHampstead Heath

Get the message?Get the message?

teaching in London with Vision Teaching?

by Daphoz

Hi!

I'm a young Canadian teacher and I'd like to teach in London for a year or two. Right now, I'm in contact with an agency called Vision Teaching and they are offering a some kind of contract. But I would like to know if anyone knows of them or has worked for them and how it was... I don't want to fall for a hoax...

Thanks!!
Daphoz

Re: teaching in London with Vision Teaching?

by leics

I work in education.

Having looked at the company's website it looks to me a pretty standard 'supply' agency (that is what we call agencies which provide substitute teachers for sickness, short-term contracts and so on). It places teachers in the London/south-east areas, where the use of overseas-trained teachers is much more common than elsewhere in the UK.

It's statement 'There is a huge demand for school teachers in the UK, particularly in core subject areas.' is not quite what it implies. Teaching is over-subscribed in the UK, apart from certain posts in certain areas (as noted above) and in certain subjects (maths, foreign languages and the sciences in secondary (11-18) schools).

So be prepared for some potentially challenging posts and a high cost of living. The reason the London area has many OTTs is because posts can be difficult to fill: it is an expensive place to live even for qualified UK teachers.

You will be subject to a CRB (criminal records bureau) check, and will have to speedily acquire knowledge of the UK National Curriculum and ways of teaching and assessing (which will vary somewhat from school to school). It will be a steep and tiring learning curve, but one which will be worthwhile if you love your profession.

As an overseas-trained teacher (OTT) you can only teach in the UK for four years without getting QTS (qualified teacher status). This link will be useful:

and I suggest you also download the leaflet linked here:

Feel free to send me a VTmail if you have more questions.

Good luck!

Re: teaching in London with Vision Teaching?

by Daphoz

Thank you for all the info! I'll be sure to look up those sites! :)

Daphne

Travel Tips for London

A must stop if in Western Europe but...

by joelnale

I highly recommend visiting London if you are in Western Europe, however if you have a reasonable amount of time you are traveling, don't spend too long here. There are SO many other places/countries I believe offer much more (in a different way) than London.

That and it is quite expensive.

London was my first stop on my 'whirlwind' tour of Europe. I probably spend about one week here. If I had to do it again, I would have probably spend 3-4 days max.

My favorite thing about London was the TEA. I ditched coffee for a whole week. Literally, I did not have coffee at all. The tea was amazing. Stepping off the train from Gatwick Airport into the city of London was my fondest memory. I was officially alone in another country! What a feeling!

Bring mondo $$$...as a...

by Rice_Paper

Bring mondo $$$...as a Canadian, I had to make sure I have enough $$$ for the conversion to Pounds. Think the rate's about $2.25 CDN to 1 Pound. YIKES!!!! It's safe to assume that I didn't spend too much in London. Hanging around at Picadilly.

London by water. I got a free...

by WorldXplorer

London by water. I got a free river cruise (a short but certainly nice one) which came with my Big Bus Tour. First photo is of the view: St Pauls, next obviously Tower Bridge (often mistakenly called London Bridge.) And there is a photo of the Southbank Lion. Made of coade stone I read in Passport's Guide to London; a stone which could withstand heat, and IO think dust and rain but unfortunately the company where the stone was manufactured closed down and the secret ingredients of Coade stone remain a mystery! Lion is an emblem of London.

Get to Alexander Fleming Laboratory Museum

by Imbi

This museum is housed in the very room that Alexander Fleming's worked in his laboratory. For those who don't know, Fleming was the scientist who made the miraculous discovery of penicillin in 1928, thus revolutionising modern medicine.
This museum has displays on Fleming's life, details his chance discovery, and tells of the role of penicillin since 1928 - it has saved more lives than any other discovery this century.

St Mary's Hospital, Praed Street, W2
Nearest Tube: Paddington

COFFEE IN YOUR ROOM

by DAO

’Coffee making facilities’ is the odd way this fantastic bit of British Culture is usually described. You get an electric kettle, tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits (cookies) in your room! That’s every room. Whether you stay at a 5 star luxury hotel, countryside Bed & Breakfast or the worst hotel in London – you get this! In some places like America you get a whole pot of coffee – that’s it. Here you get a choice and it’s there before you leave your room. Nice to have a cup of coffee ready when you get out of the shower.

Enjoy!