The Courthouse Doubletree by Hilton London

Official Website Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 29% less but rated 11% lower than other 5 star hotels

• Durfun's Profile Photo

Former Magistrate's Court!

Great interiors, nice fresh furnishings, lovely restaurant - Silk, cool cinema room, stylish foyer.

First rate service.

The bar has some four private seating areas that were former prison cells, coomplete with doors. Even the bar has sections with the prison bars (iron ones, not alcoholic!!) still retained as part of the walls & windows.

Unique Quality: First rate staff & service.

Nice lounge at the rear, in front of Silk restaurant - which itself was a court room where several high profile characters had been summonsed (Oscar Wilde, John Lennon, Mick Jagger!)

Superb location, off Regent's Street & Oxford Street - the shopping havens. Not far to walk to reach Piccadilly, Green Park, Trafalgar Square and the River Thames.

Many retail stores and restaurants right outside.

Directions: Nearest tube: Oxford Circus. Exit, turn left, pass Carnaby Street on your left, walk straight down onto Gt Marlborough St & you'll arrive at CourtHouse Hotel on your left.

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Really nice

One word that really discribes this hotel is INTEMACY.
    The staff is so welcoming ,friendly and very hospitable.Location is also great,few steps from Carnaby street & Regent st.

The hotel is recently owned by Hilton Double tree (2009).

Unique Quality: Staff are extremely helpful.

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Central luxury

The most conveniently located luxury hotel that I've encountered in London is a bit hidden gem. Most people have never heard Courthouse Hotel Kempinski, located on The Great Marlborough Street -- a couple blocks from Oxford Circus tube station and next to Carnaby Street shopping district. This is a shame, as the hotel is very nice five star experience.

We got a decent special rate and spent a few days in the hotel. Our room was spacious, bed comfortable and all required amenities were in place. We missed only the view, as the room windows were towards the inner yard.

The service was excellent, and our infant son got a special treatment everywhere he went. Breakfast was a real treat with a wide selection of food and beverages, including Voss water. The only catch is the price that is steep during normal business days.

Directions: At the northern end of Carnaby Street

More about The Courthouse Doubletree by Hilton London

Will Always Stay At The Double Tree In Future

by TripAdvisor Member EdsSwindon

We are very pleased to have found this lovely hotel in a super location. We have tried many hotels in London, this one may not be the plushest, but it is way out in front on service. The staff are ALL lovely, friendly, helpful, professional, just fantastic service, could not fault a thing during our stay. Yes some of the decor/carpets could be improved and the breakfast wasn't brilliant, but I was just so pleased with everything else that it did not bother me at all. The room was lovely, super bathroom with lovely toiletries, everything you could possibly need was provided. It is the only hotel I have stayed in that served food until very late in the bar, wonderful for Theatre goers and the Palladium on the doorstep as well! I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone and I will definately be staying there again. Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful stay and see you again soon I hope!

Not worth it's 5 star rating...

by TripAdvisor Member baby_depardieu

We stayed at this hotel after booking it through a well known 'last minute' website. We got a considerable discounted offer on a standard double room - which turned out to be very small and quite ordinary. The hotel itself was pleasant enough, but certainly not worthy of the 5 star rating it had been given.

The best thing about this hotel is its location on Great Marlborough St.

The hotel also over-charged me twice on a room service transaction - an amount was taken out of my account after i had checked out and settled the bill. This took a great deal of sorting out as many of the staff dont speak english.

Its worth giving it a try if you can get a big discount on the rooms - but at £300 for a usual stay for a standard, id def not recommend paying full price.

Great location, but not a great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Company_President

This hotel is superbly located for shops and theatre but it is not a great hotel, sadly the rooms and the service do not deliver.

The staff do not appear to enjoy what they do - a couple of examples: on arrival by taxi, the person on the door stood watching and didn't open the door or help with bags. Even the taxi driver thought it was poor ! I arrived after an overnight flight at 1pm and the first words the receptionist said was you can't check in till 2pm, no "welcome". I politely pointed out that I had requested an "early" check-in and invited her to see if my room was free, which it was. There was no need for a tart and rude initial response.

The hotel aspires to be a boutique hotel, but doesn't compare to others such as One Aldwych. The television in my small room had a poor fuzzy picture, there was a foul smell from the sink and whoever designed the rooms had not really thought things through since there was no reading light to read in bed.

It's a shame because the hotel with its superb location could have been something special, but it just doesn't deliver.

A cool hotel in a great location

by TripAdvisor Member Duffer66

The hotel is a former courthouse with the courtroom (it still looks like one) converted to a fine dining restaurant and jail cells converted into private drinking spaces in the cocktail lounge, very cool.

The staff was friendly and accomodating.

Our room was clean, quiet and comfortable with plenty of space. A minor problem was the absense of drawer space in the room, although there were shelves where clothing for a week-long stay could be stored. Two phones in the guestroom, one in the bathroom.

The bathroom was very nice with tub/shower, sink, toilet, and bidet with marble walls and floors. Instead of a shower curtain, there was a somewhat unusual half shower door to contain the spray with limited success, but fear not, the floor was equipped with a drain,

Location was excellent. Short walk to Soho, a little over a block away from the Oxford Circus Underground (Tube) Station, and directly across from Carnaby Street (unfortunately Twiggy has moved on). Lots of sidewalk cafes and small restaurants within steps from the hotel. Big city shopping is around the corner on Regent Street. Neighborhood was safe and lots of people on the streets enjoying the scene.

The swimming pool looked exactly like it did on the Internet.

It is hard to imagine finding a nicer, more conveniently located hotel in the city.

The Courthouse, convenient,comfortable & charming off Carnaby.

by TripAdvisor Member sashachanel

We traveled to London after a long gap of ten years,as our last experience had been terrible and we had vowed we would never go back.However it was our 13 year old daughter who finally convinced us as she was very keen and wanted the family to visit London together.I have to say it was a decision I will never regret.
We checked out The Courthouse which was recommended by a dear friend who happened to know the owner.It seemed nice on the net (sometimes that could be misleading) but we decided to go for it anyway.We confirmed our bookings with the owner Ms Reema Sanger a lovely gracious lady who gave us a great deal with an upgrade of room inclusive of breakfast for the 3 of us.
We arrived on schedule and was pleasantly surprised at how conveniently located the hotel was.Oxford street for shopping, cafe's,bar's,restaurants and the theater district were a stones throw away.The hotel was delightful with helpful and friendly staff and the room was spotless,spacious and very well decorated.An additional bed for our daughter was already made up and a bottle of red wine and some savories , which was a refreshing welcome awaited us.We were due to stay for a week but extended it further as we had such a great time.The hotel staff from the front desk,room service to housekeeping were all prompt,efficient and polite.I strongly recommend this charming hotel just off Carnaby Street and will definitely be going back again!

Great location. Nicely appointed. Disappointing breakfast.

by TripAdvisor Member Teigne

Just came back from a long week-end in London where I spent 3 nights at the Courthouse Doubletree. The location is absolutely perfect: right at the end of Carnaby street and 200m or so from Oxford Circus. We were able to walk everywhere!

The staff overall was friendly, but this could definitely be improved. An apparently crazed cleaning lady burst into our room the first evening (she did knock but forced her way in the room), checked into the closet, and then left. She kept repeating something in a language that we could not understand. I also felt rushed by the staff for breakfast the last morning.

The room was clean, well appointed and the bed comfortable. I liked the translucent window around the mirror in the bathroom. The AC appeared not to be working when the lights are off, so it was stuffy for a few minutes when we got back to the room. Flushing appeared tentative (the wall-mounted handle would engage with difficulty). Therle are some signs of wear here and there in the hallways, but it is still acceptable

We only had breakfast at the hotel on the last morning. The buffet looked nice but it was disappointing (especially for 22.5 GBP when there is a wonderful French cafe right next door where you can overundulge many times over for the same amount). The waistaff was cold at best (no welcome, thank you or anything of the sort), the eggs were mediocre, the bacons way too dry, and the pastries pretty much tasteless. Just skip the breakfast at hotel would be my strong recommendation.

Didn't impress me

by TripAdvisor Member Mags_Upp

This hotell had an amazing location, near Carnaby street, Oxford street, Regent street and all that Soho offers. No complaints there. But from that point everything was dissapointing. The first morning we discovered that the shower was broken, so we had to hold the shower-head ourselves. This was of course fixed later that day when we told the staff. But shouldn't the house-keepers have discovered that when cleaning the bathroom and made sure that everything was okay for their new guests? I definitely think so. The next day the lamp behind our tv almost started a fire. We luckily discovered the smoke and smell, and prevented that from happening. This happened due to old and poor lampscreens. The staff was once again sorry, and changed the lampscreens in our room. Later that night I wanted to taste the pringles from the minibar, only to discover the box was empty. Pretty upset (I really wanted that pringles:-) I went down to the reception to ask why an empty pringles box was placed in our room. Again they were sorry, and said they should return to our room with another one in short time. They never came. A lot of small disappointments aggregate into a big one. The hotell didn't walk the talk, and I will not return there. They do NOT deserve their five stars, in my opinion.

Comments