111-117 Sussex Gardens, London, W2 2RU, United Kingdom

Booking.com Agoda.com eDreams

Rated 17% higher but also costs 59% more than other 3 star hotels

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

Great Location

I have stayed in this hotel three times and not because I think the hotel is fabulous but because London is fabulous.

I have had a couple of minor issues with the hotel, namely no hot water and excess noise from people in other rooms (kept awake by what sounds like stampeding elephants) but the hotel is old, as is London itself and you have to expect this.

What keeps me coming back to this hotel is its excellent location. Its a short walk from Paddington Station and Edgeware Road buses and there are some good pubs and restaurants very close by.

I have tried several rooms, some are more modern than others. Its just the luck of the draw. The hotel is part of a long line of refurbished terrace houses turned into hotels in Sussex Gardens and is a bit of a rabbit warren inside.

The quietest rooms are on the higher floors and facing the back of the hotel. They are all comfortably furnished with an in room safe and the hotel is heated. There is a laundry room which is handy.

The included breakfast is quite sufficient without being stodgy and all the staff I've encountered have been friendly and happy to sort out any problems.

Overall this is a comfortable hotel considering the amount of time spent in it each day.

Unique Quality: Old fashioned charm and character.

• azz8206's Profile Photo

A Great Hotel and I Mean Greeeeaaat!

It really was a great hotel. The rooms were spacious enough and very clean. The walls weren't thin. You have your choice of a continental breakfast or an English breakfast. It's really close to the Paddington underground station maybe a three minute walk and the Heathrow express stops at this station. It has good restaurants nearby. I paid 94GBP per night and booked it through www.booking.com. I absolutely loved this hotel and will stay here if I am ever in London again.

Directions: Get off at Paddington Station, walk up London St. in the direction of the Aberdeen's Steak House which is on the corner. When reaching Sussex Gdns cross the street and turn left. Its near the corner of the next street.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Close to Paddington

This small but comfortable hotel is supposedly quite popular from what I saw of reviews online, and I'd have no trouble recommending this place as long as you get a decent price.
    It's located on Sussex Gardens which is a street filled with hotels. About a 5 to 10 minute walk to Paddington Station so handy if arriving from Heathrow and taking the Heathrow Express.
    My room was on the 1st floor though actually it was half a floor up, which meant I took my suitcase up one flight on the lift, down the end of the hall and down half a flight of stairs. Realized later that I could have done past the lift, through the doors and drag suitcase up half a flight of stairs. The hotel takes up two Victorian townhouses which is why some rooms are not on the same level as the elevator.
    However, my room was a decent size for a single and the bathroom was quite nice. What was great about the bathroom is that, although it only had a shower stall, there was a large ledge most of the way around the room which allowed me to spread my stuff out, always a plus. The towels could be hung over the heater, doubling as a towel warmer or drying rack if doing some laundry.
    My room was a bit different in that you opened the door into a hallway which the bathroom was off of to the right, then at the end of this small hallway was another door leading to the room. It's a fire door so must remain closed. And the room and bathroom were bright as there were lots of windows, 3 in the bedroom alone.
    The bed was a small single, a TV supplied along with tea and coffee making facilities, and biscuits!
    The hotel was a lounge in the reception room if you feel like hanging out there and reading a paper, someone was doing this while I checked out.
    Access to the hotel is either by your hotel room key (like a credit card) or by buzzer. When you first arrive you must buzz reception to get in until you receive your room key.

Unique Quality: A great feature to this hotel is the rooms all come with a small refridgerator which makes it easier to eat cheaply in the city. I had a long bus ride the following day so was able to stock up on food and store them until I left for the bus.
    Breakfast is included and is available in the basement of the hotel but this room is bright as there is a skylight. There's a buffet and a hot cooked breakfast is available as well. I helped myself to juice and buns until my breakfast arrived.

I managed to get a price of ?55 for my single room, rack rate is ?95, from www.londontown.com

UPDATE!!

I went back to this hotel Feb 2009, still pleased with it, rooms seem to have been updated. Had a tiny bathroom this time around, smallest sink I've ever seen! But it was very clean and updated. Reception was great when I showed up at 7am with my bags, sent me downstairs to the loo to freshen up and they stored my luggage until my room was ready. Prices higher, paid 65 for a single this time around.

Directions: One block down and one block over from Paddington if you come out of the train station to Praed street via the alley like street near left luggage. Go down London St one block, cross the street and turn left, down a block.

More about The Darlington Hyde Park

Enjoyed My Stay

by sangria07 about Darlington Hyde Park

Initial Enquiries
My inquiries made prior to and after the booking received very prompt response - all one day from the date my email was sent out.

Service
The service was very efficient. Staff were extremely polite, friendly and helpful. When I first checked-in, I found that the kettle in my room was not working and rang the reception. Within minutes, someone came up to check on it and replaced the faulty kettle.

The hotel is very neat and clean.

Room
My single room was very clean, fairly spacious and comfortable. The space was very well-utilized.

There is full coffee and tea making facilities, 2 complimentary bottles of water on arrival, mini refrigerator and an in-room safe.

The en suite had a shower stall large enough for one to move around comfortably. There is nothing I dislike more than a cramped shower stall where you end up bruised all over just trying to take a shower. Full bathroom amenities are provided. The only improvement I can think of is for the hotel to attach a rack inside the shower stall so that amenities can be placed inside while taking a shower.

Facilities
The room comes with breakfast. There is a continental spread to help yourself to and / or you can choose to order a cooked to order English breakfast.

Maps and attraction brochures are liberally available in just outside the breakfast room.

There is a small lift to service the hotel.

I arrived way before the check-in time asked if I could leave my luggage there. The staff happily obliged and tagged my belongings. When I returned later that evening and check-in, my bags were already safely installed in my room. They also took care of my bags on the day I left after I checked-out as my flight was scheduled for much later in the evening.

The only negative thing about this hotel is that there is no computer with free internet available for guests to use. But the staff did helpfully point out that there was an internet cafe just two minutes away. It is on the way to Paddington Station and charges £1 per 30 minutes usage.

Surroundings
The location is the best thing about the hotel. It's about 3 minutes walk from Paddington Station and less than 10 minutes to Hyde Park. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel. I found the place to be quiet and safety was never a concern. Their website has a special section regarding female travellers where they claim to have experience and try to help solo female travellers feel welcome and safe. It was one of the reasons I chose this hotel and I'm glad to say that I did indeed feel comfortable and safe staying here.

I thought it was great value for money. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to other travellers.

Fabulous find!

by TripAdvisor Member kaydee1

My husband and I along with another couple stayed at the Darlington Hyde Park in early September for eight nights. We found the front desk staff to be knowledgeable, helpful and cordial, going out of their way to assist in any way possible.

During our stay in London the weather was unseasonably warm. Fortunately, our charming 2nd floor room had 2 large windows plus a fan, which let in a much-needed breeze during the night. The double bed had four nice plump pillows and the sheets and duvet cover were changed every day.

The bathroom had a large tub and a nice high shower with terrific water pressure. The towels in the bathroom were thick, plump and large enough to wrap around you. A note to those that use washcloths – the Darlington, like most European hotels, does not provide them. The hairdryer did not have enough “oomph” for me; so if you have a “do” that needs a powerful blow dryer to make happen, better pack one. Loved the safe in the closet and the small refrigerator was nice to have as well. Our room and bathroom were cleaned spotlessly every day.

The included breakfasts offered something for everyone in the sunny little room they call the Conservatory. You could have a full English breakfast (love the way they serve toast in England!), or just serve yourself from the vast assortment of fruits, cereals, rolls, and coffee from the buffet. The breakfast crew was very accommodating to us. We were not early risers several days and pushed the closing time a bit, but were never turned away unserved.

This hotel has several security features in place for the safety of their guests. We looked at another hotel close by out of curiosity as we had been told it was half the price by another tourist, but noticed that anyone could walk in off the street, board the elevator and gain entrance to any of that hotel’s floors in seconds. After seeing that, we appreciated the safety measures the Darlington Hyde Park employs.

Although an earlier poster mentioned creaky floors, we never noticed that at all - and we were in the same room she was - room 203. In fact both my husband & I noted that you never heard any noise from the other rooms or outside in the hallways, and the hotel was full during our stay.

This hotel is just a 5-minute walk from Paddington Station, a real plus. Nearby, you will find a handy Internet café on London Street, and to whet your whistle, a nice little pub on Praed & Norfolk - The Fountain Arms, which serves fabulous roast chicken dinners on Sundays.

The Darlington is a wonderful place to stay in London and a great value. One day while conversing with the front desk staff before heading out, the manager told me that they consider themselves to be a bed and breakfast hotel that treats their guests with dignity - and that they certainly do.

Great Paddington Hotel, a real find

I booked the Darlington after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, and I was extremely pleased with the decision. We were given a double room (Room 16) on the ground floor at the back of the hotel, that had no view, but made up for it in that it was very quiet and dark for sleeping. It was decorated in business fashion, had fridge, fan (no air conditioning), and a safe, and the bed was very good. Breakfast was very nice, and hotel staff were very good. We paid 65 pounds per night from discountcityhotels.com, which was a fantastic rate.

The hotel is in a great location, as others have said. For those of you on a budget, the underground to Heathrow is less than half the price of the express train, just as convenient, but stops all stations so takes longer.

Very good value (for spanish standards)

by TripAdvisor Member bruixa

We have recently stayed 5 nights on this hotel, following the reviews of tripadvisor.com, and I have to say it have been a very good choice. The hotel is very clean, very well located (next the tube station, the bus stops and near lot of restaurants, shops...). The room is simple, but full equiped (with fridge, colour tv, hairdryer, coffee). The staff is extremely friendly and pacient (my english is so bad:-) I think is a very good value, 70 pounds per night, even for spanish standards. I'm sure I will choose this hotel again for my next stay in London.

excellent hotel

I had a single room. The room is very small and without air condition but very very clean and well equipped with everything you need. The breakfast is excellent. The location is very good. Next time I will take the double room.

Tal Shakked

A Gem of a Place

by TripAdvisor Member Keevin

We spent a week at this very fine property Sept 3-11, 2004. We went to London with another couple so we took two rooms on different floors. We searched this site long and hard before deciding on the Darlingtion. What a great find. This Hotel is spotless. The rooms are comfortable, the beds are great. The bathroom was clean and well supplied, and there is plenty of hot water.

The staff was cordial and helpful. This hotel has very good security. The hotel is very close to Paddington Station, a short walk and there is good bus service also. The breakfast was very nice and the room it is served in very friendly.

This is an area with many hotels and most are not as nice as this. We made a point of checking a few out to compare, while the fronts on the buildings look the same, the others were not on the par with this hotel.

All rooms are non smoking. There is no airconditioning but the fan in the room helped. We would certainly stay there again. The Hotel provided the traveler with a clean, comfortable, safe room with a good breakfast, for an reasonable price. It does exactly what is promises and no one who goes there should be unhappy.

Very nice place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Dinkytoy

I stayed at The Darlington from 15-20th september 2004. Location is good; nearby underground (Paddington) and a little walk to Hyde Park.
It's on a rather busy street (at least busy at daytime) but I had a room at the back of the hotel, which was very nice, quiet and spacious enough (single room).
It was cleaned every day; just like the nice bathroom with plenty of clean towels everyday. There was a fridge (very convenient!), coffee and tea making facilities, TV and a safe.
Entrance to the hotel and the rooms only by keycard, which made me feel (as a solo female traveller) very safe.
The breakfast was good; a choice of continental buffet or full English (at no extra cost, which is the case in many hotels!).
Staff was very friendly and helpfull. I would stay here definitely again!

Questions about a vacation in London

by Japessebas

I am planning on a vacation from Florida to London in July.
OK I know its the worst time to travel to Europe from the US but I said I would take the family and now I have to figure out how.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel (without breaking the bank) for a couple and one 8 year old in central London?
Anyone have any experience with Zoom Airlines, they have the cheapest flights?
Any recommendations on websites for best hotel rates or flights? I know all the basic ones, expedia, kayak, farecast, orbitz, etc.
Lastly I've never tried the Priceline system of naming your price, I am hoping someone can give me feedback before I enter a CC number.

by hawkhead

Ignoring the totally useless comments of the previous negative poster ...... try www.booking.com, www.laterooms.com, www.lastminute.com, www.alpharooms.com, www.travelodge.co.uk (they have family rooms), www.premierinns.co.uk (also have family rooms). Zoom Airlines are prefectly safe and reliable and are used by lots of people I know without any adverse comments.

by swissfondue

Agree about organising some accommodation ASAP. Booking.com is a great site IMO and I have used it numerous times. If you come across the Darlington Hyde Park Hotel in your research I have stayed there twice and can recommend it. Couple of minutes walk to Paddington Station/Underground, is comfortable and breakfast is included. They have family rooms.

Venere.com is another very reliable site recommended by many VT'ers.

by Jamesr3939

We stayed at the Ruben's Hotel which was nice and in a great location, our room looked directly over the "horse gate" at Buckingham Palace and it was just short walk to the nearest tube station.

by suvanki

Hi, if you are just wanting a hotel as a base to sleep/ eat breakfast I've stayed at The Royal National Hotel (Bedford Way) - (Russel Square Tube station) which has family rooms,also Ambassadors Hotel- Gloucester Road Tube Station:www.crystalhotels.co.uk. Thee were both reasonable prices, comfortable and central.
If you want more info on these hotels please check out my London hotels page.

Also try www.Venere.co. Booking.co, Hostalbookers etc. or Google, London Cheap Accommodation.
For flights I usually try skyscanner.com first
Enjoy your visit!