The Dorset Square Hotel

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data
  • KittyLou's Profile Photo

boutique bust

On our first trip to London we thought this small luxury hotel would be a dream. It was not for us. London was hot, our postage stamp sized room was not air conditioned, with windows opened the street noise made sleeping impossible. The staff was stuffy, if not downright snobby. The lovely marble bath and designer decour were not enough to overcome these faults.

We left after a couple of nights for the Russell Hotel (another place I would not return to -- but for entirely different reasons.)

Unique Quality: luxury furnishings, marble baths, private park

Directions: Marylebone

Baker St. or Marylebone Tube

More about The Dorset Square Hotel

1.)London-The Dorset Square...

by DJStarr

1.)London-The Dorset Square Hotel
2.)Bath-Oldfield's Hotel

1.) Get the smallest room, very reasonable!
2.) Around $100 American including breakfast 1.)Great restaurant downstairs, by Regent Park, Sherlock Holmes Museum and the Zoo
2.)Really nice people, breakfast was great (French Press coffee), reasonably priced.

Perfect place to stay......

Having recently returned from our trip to London we felt we had to let others know just how much we enjoyed our stay at the Dorset Square Hotel. We simply cannot fault anything... the staff were courteous, helpful and attentive. The room was decorated beautifully and was spotlessly clean. The food was delicious.
The hotel is situated in the heart of London and after a hard days shopping and sight seeing it was a welcome relief to arrive back to such luxury.

Worst night ever

by TripAdvisor Member frequentraveller

I strongly advise travellers to avoid the Dorset Square hotel in London. In this 4 stars hotel and for euros 275, I spent one of my worse night ever (probably slept 3 hours in total)
Walls are so thin that you can hear everything surrounding the room and everytime someone walks by you have the impression that he is in your room, 1 inch space under the entry door, bathroom ridiculously small, AC so noisy that you must turn it off, 1 star hotel like TV with no cable, windows not isolated while heavy traffic outside. AVOID

Great location but really small

by TripAdvisor Member Karena_Italy

My husband and I stayed here in late June 2005, and found the location fantastic. You are close to Marylebone station, Baker Street station and are within walking distance to Oxford Street and Regents Park.

We were wowed when we first came in as it was so quaint, our room wasn't ready but we waited in the reading room which was very cute. Staff were great.

We got a room on the 3rd floor - it was neat but so, so small. For the two of us with a trolley bag each, there was hardly any space to move. The double bed was small and was full of pillows... the only place we had to chuck two of the large pillows were on the floor against the main door, in order to go to sleep. Although we were right on Dorset Square, you could hardly hear the traffic which was great.

Don't expect to sleep in though in the mornings. The walls are paper thin, and when the cleaning staff start vacuuming the hallways or the next room, you will definitely be woken up.

Breakfast is not included in the price (which was a bit on the high side but which probably located the location more than facilities), so we just went to Baker Street for coffee.

We bumped into another guest once (hallways are so narrow you have to give way to one another) moving rooms, complaining to us that his air-conditioning wasn't working. As the rooms are so small he said that the heat being generated from the minibar was actually making the room hot!

All in all, all right for a couple of days' stay. But we left wondering why it was one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World.

Lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kelly1971

A friend and I booked a twin room at the Dorset only to be given single rooms when we arrived which only cost us £60.00 each with breakfast included - the hotel was really lovely and cosy and close to everything - we were going to Live8 at Hyde Park which we walked to - when we arrived back very late they brought us tea and biscuits at no further cost - a lovely hotel highly recommended. Lovely staff and lovely cosy rooms - spotlessly clean.

Excellent!

Stayed for 1 night while attending a wedding London. Fantastic from start to finish. Needed ideally to book in early which was easily arranged for us. Room ideal for us and bathroom spotless with very powerful shower. Reception staff and concierge could not have been more helpful, especially concierge who when struggling to hail a taxi for us ran to the Station on our behalf!! We did have an excellent deal which appeared to be less than half of normal rates, which included a superb full english breakfast in The Potting Shed restaurant attached. We did not have dinner but if breakfast was anything to go by would not think twice about eating there. Another couple of small details which enhanced our stay was the bottles of mineral water left at turn down and complimentary Sunday paper. Our only minor quibble was the cost of our room service sandwiches which we felt were a tad pricey. Location was also ideal, close to Marylebone and we felt safe even returning at 0130 hrs.
Would definitely go back!

Loved the Dorset

by TripAdvisor Member ataylor1215

After countless hours searching for a hotel in London for our family of 4, we hit the jackpot. We spent 4 days/nights in London with our 3.5 year old and our 20 month old, mid-November of 2005. It seemed like an impossible task to find a hotel to house the 4 of us, that got consistently good reviews, that had decent sized rooms, good location to the tube, and that wouldn't break the bank. FINALLY, I stumbled acrossed a special that the Dorset Square was having -look at slh. They have a weekend special for Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun nights for 100 pounds/night. That price includes VAT and breakfast (for our whole family). The hotel was kind enough to give us the same rate even though we stayed through Mon night. About the hotel. This was truly a luxury hotel. The staff was phenominal. Immediatley when we got there the doorman was outside unloading our heavily loaded down taxi, and helping after the kids. Reception was very nice and helpful. Our room was gorgeous. While we didn't actually have a room that slept all of us in beds, they allowed us to make a bed on the floor for our daughter, and they provided us a portable crib for our son free of charge. We had a gorgeous king-sized bed (which worked out great since that's where our daughter ended up sleeping - with us). The room was good-sized I'm assuming for London standards. We were not crowded at all, even with the port-a-crib. The hotel stored some of our luggage for us in another room (that we didn't need until our next destination). The room was very clean, and had nice touches. Bathrobes, nice towels (& washcloths), shampoos, soaps, etc. They even gave complimentarty bottled waters every day. The breakfast is served down in the Potting Shed Restaurant downstairs. There was a good selection of food. We were a little confused with what we were allowed to order since our breakfast was included. We got different answers from different people working. I thought for sure we were going to get a bill since we apparently ordered more than what was included - but we didn't. Once, my husband went down to get the rest of us breakfast as we had slept in late (time change). The people at the restaurant said they would bring it up to us. They served it beautifully room-service style. I thought we would get a bill for that, but we didn't. Another time my husband went to grab us food we could eat on the tube as we were running late. Again they said they would pack us a breakfast to go. Later that day I read a sign hanging on our door knob inside our room that had prices for boxed breakfasts (outrageous prices! - like it would have been a $50 breakfast for everything they gave us). And still they did not charge us for them. The tube is only 2 blocks away - and it is a pretty direct station. There is an internet cafe a block and a half away. There is a little market just a block away where you can buy a few groceries. There is a small fridge in the room stocked with over-priced items. We took those out and filled it with our own snacks and drinks. We just loved this hotel. I would definitely stay there again, and definitely recommend it to anyone I know. Hope this review helps!

Charming London Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member baxterstravel

I stayed at the Dorset in Feb. with my new husband for the first half of our honeymoon. It was a totally enjoyable stay. The room we stayed on was on the second floor. It was tastefully decorated with a nice size closet, small fridge, and desk. The bathroom was georgeous. A strong shower with an extra deep tub. Upon arrival, the kind bell hop carried our heavy luggage up to our room for us. The concierge was very helpful and accomodating. They arranged and/or assisted us with all the tours and excursions we went on. Each night we returned to a turned down bed with large bottles of water waiting for us. The room was small, but I hear its true of most European hotel rooms. Yes, the TV was small, but when I am on vacation TV is not a major issue. The hotel was close to 2 tube stops so travel was insanely easy. I would definitely recommend the Dorset to anyone looking for a quaint British hotel with lots of charm and hospitality. If you are looking for a hotel with all of decadent American amenities, this may not be the place for you.

A little Gem

by TripAdvisor Member Jack's-dinner

My fiancé and I stayed at the Dorset Square for one night as part of our engagement celebration. The setting is perfect; five mins walk from Marylebone and very close to lots of good restaurants. For tourists, you are pretty much in central London for all the attractions.

It is worth noting that this is a true boutique Hotel, meaning that personal service and eccentricity override some people’s expectations of large standardised rooms or bland buffet breakfasts. Our room was extraordinary, tiny and beautiful with original French silk period wallpaper and a Victorian bathroom. You have to decide to love its elegance and individuality; if you start to get irritable with the weak shower or the sash window which had a tendency to crash down without warning, you’re missing the point.

Breakfast was 1st class in the modern Potting Shed downstairs; free range sausages, bacon and hand-picked duck eggs are not all that common in London, and through the door gap to the kitchen I caught a glimpse of our waiter squeezing blood-oranges for my juice. Now that is fresh!

Service was understated but not rude, and they went out of their way to help; we returned with my entire family at midnight from our meal and the concierge on the front desk brought us steaming hot pots of tea and hot chocolate as we sat in the study. He even included a small plate of handmade biscuits. All this at midnight. We were very impressed.

It failed only in the bed department (a fondness for eccentricity does not, in my mind, run to how well I sleep!). A tiny double bed, with a mattress built around the same time as the hotel. Pillows were ok, but not up to the rest of the Hotel’s standard. Thus 4* rather than 5.

All in all an extremely memorable stay.

Best neighborhood to stay in London

by scafandpatty

My brother is traveling to London in Oct. and will be going to the 49er game at Wembley stadium.
For sightseeing purposes and for access to public transportation to Wembley, any suggestions on what area of London he should he stay? How much time should he allow to get to Wembley on game day?
Thanks,

by danmillwall

I would recommend Charing Cross/ The Stand to stay some good budget hotels around there. I would get the Jubilee line to Wembley (Right outside station) Get there about an hour before the game at least to take pictures down wembley way and around the stadium. check http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx for transport details.

I wouldn't stay close to Wembley or East London no offence to anyone who lives there just not much to see. Also get an Oyster Card which allows people to travel tubes/buses cheaper (You can pick these up at any station ticket office. Good luck and hope he enjoys the game

by xymmot

I stayed in Kensington and the tube is there . >Good luck and have fun , Cheers Tommy x

by puerto_lover

Any place in the central or north central area is good. Travel into Wembley Stadium is well organised and you have the choices of several TUBE lines as well as overground.

I would suggest that you look at the detail on :

to see the options.

If you are not familiar with the TUBE lines then you could open a TUBE map. You can access it from this TFL page :

Maybe look for a place not too far away from BAKER STREET underground station ?

getting to Wembley will be about one hour I guess.

by Dabs

Is the 49er game the only thing that's he's doing? Or is he going to be there for several days? If the only reason he's there is for something at Wembley have him stay near the Baker Street tube as suggested, he'll then have a couple of tube lines to choose from (Metropolitan or Jubilee). I stayed at the Marriott Maida Vale once when I won it on Priceline, you're just a couple of stops away from Wembley there but it's not terribly convenient for sightseeing.

If he's going to be staying for several days then I'd suggest he think about what else he's going to see while there. I usually stay in Kensington but there are lots of central neighborhoods-Mayfair/Soho, Bloomsbury, Notting Hill, etc

by SallyM

As well as the tube from Baker Street, you can take a Chiltern Railways train to Wembley from Marylebone (5 mins walk from Baker Street). Baker Street has good tube links (Jubilee, Bakerloo, Hammersmith and City, Circle and Metropolitan lines), so is handy for sightseeing.

Hotels in that area include the Travelodge next door to Marylebone Station, or the rather more expensive Dorset Square Hotel.

Comments