58-60 Cartwright Gardens, London, WC1H 9EL, United Kingdom
Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about The George Hotel

good value

I stayed at the George Hotel on my last trip to London. I was on a tight budget, yet didn't want to stay in a hostel. My room was a descent size, the staff were friendly and the breakfast was fantastic! If you are looking for an affordable place to stay in central london, this is the hotel for you. On my next visit I will definetly be staying at the George Hotel!

met our very basic needs

by TripAdvisor Member tiffjay

This hotel met our needs, a place to sleep and eat. We convinced ourselves that we will stay there and spend the money we save on the hotel on sightseeing. The bathroom (communal) was nasty but sufficient, never ran out of hot water. But the constant cold breeze coming through the ill-fitting glass in the window reduced our shower time quite a bit. The food was good, except the sausage. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room had enough beds for each of us, they weren't the most comfy but we walked so much we were ready to pass out on any bed. It wasn't too far from the underground, so very convenient. All in all, I wouldn't recommend it it you are looking for a charming, quaint B&B. If you don't care about the ruffles, if money is the issue, go for it.

George Hotel is GREAT

by TripAdvisor Member janepigg

I stayed at the George Hotel 4/15-20/2005. We had a room for 4. It was great. The room was very clean, the beds fine, the breakfast was delicious and the location was the best. It is located 3-4 blocks from Russell Square tube. It's a straight walk up to Cartwright Gardens. The area is extremely safe. The hotel is a traditional English hotel. There is no elevator. Get a room on the ground floor (not the first floor - that's the 2nd floor in USA!). There's no AC so I don't know how it would be in the summer but in April it wass fantastic. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I met the manager who is also the manager of 2 other hotels and she is extremely nice and helpful. This hotel has lots of atmosphere. If you want a true British experience, stay here. If you want American luxury, stay at a Holiday Inn and pay 4 times as much as The George.

Good points & not so good

The hotel is in a good location (Russell Square) a tube stop away from everything. The staff is very friendly! The only negative points are: The bathroom is down the hall and not always so clean. If you have a room in the front of the hotel, it is very noisy at night when the window is open (no AC). The beds and pillows are not the greatest quality. If the hotel is busy, you have to basically wait in line to be seated for breakfast. They only have seven tables. Many times you have to sit with people you don't know. The hotel is a very good value and the best part is the friendly staff.

OK, but

by TripAdvisor Member qabal

If you are like us, we stay in hotels as places to sleep- not destinations. The good about this hotel: central location, price, breakfast. The bad: Waiting for Breakfast, Cold Showers- they're hot if you bath at odd times, and the View- we were in the basement.

George Hotel is Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member janepigg

The George Hotel is an excellent value in an excellent location 2 blocks from Russell Square. The staff is very friendly and you get a full English breakfast that is very delicious. They have ensuite and standard rooms from 1 to 4 persons. I have not stayed here during the summer (they do not have AC), but it is very pleasant in cool weather. I highly recommend this hotel.

George Hotel - A little worse than a run down Knights Inn in the states

by TripAdvisor Member AAM

I know that the George is low cost - and that is why I booked it... but it wasn't cheap enough.
I rented two rooms. One for myself and my wife (with the communal bathroom) and one en-suite unit for my inlaws. Our room was one of the ones in the website picture. It looks nice and bright in the picture, but when you get there you realize that the bed and the bedding is thin and old. I could have tolerated that room. The bathroom was OK (it had a tub).
But we also booked a more expensive en-suite room. It was a dark hole in the basement with a dirty little bathroom.
Together they were bad enough that we got out our guidebook and found another hotel for our stay in London. I ended up having to pay for the first night in the George as well as taxes (which I needed to pre-pay) for the entire stay.
Like I said, seeing that I am cheap, I would have stayed in my room and bit the bullet. But knowing what the hotel is really like... I would never stay there again. Its just not worth the savings.

(Note - we ended up staying at the Vicarage - pricier but worth it!)

Thoroughly enjoyed the George Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Peggo

I chose the George Hotel for the location and the price. I was not disappointed in either. I had a room on the first floor (second floor US) in the front. Yes, there was traffic noise, but no more than I'd hear at home. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the full English breakfast is the best deal of all. You do have to get down to breakfast early as the seating is limited.

Regular customer

A friendly Private Hotel, welcoming home and overseas visitors. Behind the facade of a Georgian Crescent it has a simple decor inhanced by impressionist prints and posters. I use it for business when in London and enjoy meeting holidaymakers and the occasional academic over breakfast. It has an attentive europian staff with strong work attick. Efficiently run. Highly recommended.

relaxation

26th july- 3rd august

This was a relaxing experience for my partner and i .The time spent in england was much more memoriable because of the service politness of the lovely staff at the george. my husband and i are no spring chickens. But thanks to them making sure we had a ground floor room over looking the gardens at the front made it less stressfree experience. Also enjoyed those lovely english breakfasts.

Comments