The Lanesborough

The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel
Tingo.com AMOMA.com amextravel.com

Costs 67% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Pretty costly city to stay in

Fortunately I've never needed to stay in a hotel, as this is the city I was born in. Tourists who come to London can be a little taken aback by the price of a night's stay in the capital, but to be fair England is not a cheap country. Some of the more revered hotels seen on the silver screen are The Savoy, The Dorchester, The Lanesborough and The Ritz.
    There are lots of middle priced and budget options too but allow more cash when visiting.

• rickyvilla81's Profile Photo

The most expensive

Booyah, if you got the cash, you stay here, at the Lanesborough.
    Located at the edge of Belgravia, overlooking Buckingham Palace Gardens, it's most expensive room is the Royal suite on the top floor - it's the priciest in London, at around $5000 a night - could be more. This is where all the movie stars and important figures stay, including Michael "only two nosejobs" Jackson. When he stays. he pays by plastic. At those prices, he's paying through the nose. ("It'll cost you an arm and a leg, sir...")

Speaking of operations, the building did actually used to be a hospital, St.Georges, and it was here that Henry Gray (of Grays Anatomy fame) worked. So did Fleming, the Penicillin dude.

Unique Quality: The restaurant is incredible - and it was once the hospital's mortuary. Just think of that when eating there. Maybe you should have a stiff drink first.

Directions: Hyde Park Corner, where Hyde Park meets Green Park (useful in case Jacko wants to climb a tree)

More about The Lanesborough

Right opposite Hyde Park Corner

by Durfun about Apsleys at Lanesborough Hotel

The very stylish hotel's foyer leads you to Apsleys, on the right off the long corridor.

The decor is very elegant, and the air is of cool sophistication.

Service is impeccable. The china & cutlery is top grade. Has a nice glass roof with big chandeliers, and several dining sections, should you want more seclusion and/or elevation :)

Food is very tasty, great wine list (with the wines store visible in the corner). Constant bread service with balsamic vinegar & parmesan chunks, and at the end you get mouth-watering petit fours (warm & cold)! Monkfish & walnut gnocchi. Perfectly flavoured and cooked monkfish, and the texture of the gnocchi is just right ;)

Cool petit fours.

Fantastic!

My husband and I spent a week over New Years in London and loved the Lanesborough. We were originally staying at anothere luxury hotel in Mayfair, but we found the staff to be quite snobbish. After having tea at the Lanesborough, where the staff was very warm and welcoming, we decided to move out of the other hotel and into the Lanesborough. We attended their fantastic New Year's Gala, and we had a wondrful time! Every detail was thought of.
The food is wonderful, and the staff is amazing. We will only stay at the Lanesborough. The butler service is excellent. The room was beautiful, large with a seperate sitting area. We viewed the Wellington Arch. If excellent service is what you desire; stay at the Lanesborough.

Top-Notch, World Class Hotel and Service - But watch for the fire alarm...

by TripAdvisor Member BMIGamingDotCom

Just completed my first stay at The Lanesborough for five nights, and for my money, it was one of the best hotel stays in recent memory.

The Lanesborough is situated just a couple of blocks down from Harrods and near Buckingham Palace, and sits *directly* on top of the Hyde Park Corner tube stop, which makes this a very easy hotel to get in and out of (if you do not opt for a driver during your stay). Hotel has small but very elegant entrance and lobby (a couple of Maybachs where parked outside during my entire stay, to give you the level of their guests), a very cozy and very British bar 'The Library" which is populated during the day with very well dressed business people and at night with a mix of business people, well-heeled men and women and some locals both meeting and looking to hookup with this fab, slightly reserved crowd.

Although the small junior suite (approx 550-700 sq ft) I stayed in here will run upwards of $700 a night at the current exchange rates, you get *allot* for your money... 24/7 personalized butler service (with a smile), free morning and evening tea/coffee room service on fine china and silver from your butler, free candies, free fruit bowl replenished daily, free newspapers (up to 3 a day) very rapid pants/shirt/tie pressings and shoe shines, free high speed internet access, free run of their entire library of first run movies (over 50, including some B rated adult movies, and they use the awesome new NEOS media PC entertainment system, which is offer now in a few other high end hotels), free internet radio, (2) 2 line phones with a neat wireless phone that is hooked in to your *own* personal phone and fax numbers (which they also print out for you on very nice hotel business cards personalized with your name and room number at your arrival - a classy touch), and this wireless unit can also double as your cell phone during your stay, with a quick call to the front desk! Room also came with a free Mercedes Benz lift (one way) to the airport or rail station of your choice in London. Once you add up all these extras (to get an idea, internet access can run $40-50/day at some places, tea/coffee service $15-$25/day, $15-20 per movie, $100 for a limo to the airport), the rate I paid was not all that bad, and the nice thing about this was there were absolutely NO surprises with my bill at checkout (unlike most hi-end euro hotels)

Bedroom area was a tad small, but the bed was fabulous, with very comfortable down pillows and comforter.. Bathroom very nice, with both an enclosed shower and a traditional soaking tub with a built-in Jacuzzi.... However, the loo was a bit small, even for a average-build guy like myself. Also came with twin sinks and a bidet. Nice fluffy bathrobes, towels and just about everything you need, with the exception of high-end toiletries, which was the only shocker in the entire room. Small couch and two chairs in the swank sitting room, nice desk, etc... My ice bucket was always full and fresh during my entire stay - a very nice and convenient touch by your personal butler. Nightly turndown service, and room had very swank "blackout" curtains for those days you get back at 5am from the bars and need your beauty rest.. Room was serviced on my schedule, not theirs, and anytime I requested it... (but they had a uncanny ability to sense
when I did need it... and politely called to inquire about it)

The inside of the hotel and my hotel room itself seems to be completely *encased* in dark woods and wainscoting, which greatly adds to the to the warm, cozy, charming and sophisticated British feel of this joint.

The warm fireplaces in the lobby and bars also added to the ambiance that I was staying in a rather small, exclusive hotel with a very well-off, well-mannered and well-dressed clientele.

Unlike most hi-end British hotels, the service was excellent, with no snobbery detected, and no request was too much for them to deliver on. Had to make a an important business restaurant reservation 2 hours beforehand in the city's top French place on a Thursday night, which is usually sold out a few days in advance, and they booked me within 20 mins.

This is certainly *not* the place for you if you intend to wear jeans or casual clothes most of the time - I had a pair with me, and on Saturday I wanted to wear them while checking out various museums, but though if I did, it would entirely blow my illusion of being a really filthy-rich, deal-making Yankee hanging in London for a week.... :)

Did not get a chance to check out their standard rooms, but bet you at the lower price, and with all the added goodies, just about any business traveler with a decent expense account could justify staying a few days here...

Advise: *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED* for the business traveler and leisure traveler looking for a upscale, intimate, service-oriented top-end, old-line British hotel experience in London.

ps: Although this was not the hotel's fault, a fire alarm came on one night by accident and kept coming on every 30 mins for *over 3 hours* in the wee hours of the morning... It was the hotel's fault however that a proper written or verbal apology was never offered... This cost me almost an entire business day, as I got home late from drinks the night before and did not get up until 3pm due to sleep disruption.. When I told the front desk that this was totally unacceptable, they offered 50% off that night's stay; I let them know that removing anything less than the entire night stay would not make me feel very good about my stay -and after a few minutes of discussion with their manager, they took the entire nights changes off my bill, with a smile no less... hence the glowing and entirely accurate review you find here.

Amazing Experience

by TripAdvisor Member RobynPringTravel

For years I have heard about the Lanesborough. I have seen it on Travel Channel shows, read about it in magazines in reference to it being one of worlds best hotels. Two weeks ago, my boyfriend and I had to honor of experiencing it for ourselves. I was met at the airport by Brenden, who has been with the Lanesborough for many years. He is very knowledgable and we had a wonderful conversation on the way to the hotel. Upon arrival, we were whisked into the grand lobby, which was stunning. Within a few minutes, we were taken to room 222, which offered a nice park view. The decor in the room was magnificent. Large bed, entrance hall, large paintings and antique furnishings. In the bathroom, was a jacuzzi style tub with green toile fabric curtains for a bit of privacy. There was complimentary waters and chocolates. Their state of the art entertainment center has music, sattelite television, internet and tons of movies, and unlike other hotels, it is all FREE! We ordered room service that night from the extensive menu. It was wheeled in on a table and set up, Everything had silver domes over it. The food, no surpirse, was excellant. The following morning we had breakfast in their courtyard room, which was lovely enough to rival the Ritz, where I have had tea many times. The best part of this experience was the friendly and inviting staff who went above and beyond to make my stay special. I had driven myself crazy trying to get a single ticket to the recently acclaimed and now sold old Mary Poppins. I tried all the ticket sites, contacted brokers I knew in London, to no avail. My concierge, Colin, was able to score me a second row seat! I have stayed in many 5 Start hotels, and the Lanesborough simple can not be topped and I am so glad I finally had the opportunity to experience it for myself!

Incomparable

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip at the beginning of 2003. The room was paid for by my company, and I would not normally have sprung for such an expensive hotel. However, it was truly a remarkable experience. When I arrived at my room I was greeted by the floor's butler, who unpacked my bags and gave me a tour of the room and the electronic systems. The room was beautiful. The staff were very courteous and treated me like royalty. The breakfast was incredible, the mini bar was exquisite, and the hotel bar was very cool and stylish.

Caveat: This is not a hotel that has made it to the 21st century. The water pressure and temperature in the shower were dreadful. The hotel staff had trouble sending and receiving faxes, and delivered an urgent fax for me to the wrong room. And the computerized entertainment center kept freezing up and I had to unplug the unit and restart it several times. However, since most people who stay here probably won't deal with those issues (other than the plumbing) I will still give it 5 stars.

Return trip can't happy soon enough

by TripAdvisor Member Bellburgmaggie

Like all passengers arriving from the US, I was tired, but the Lanesborough sent a car with a cheerful driver to scoop me up from Heathrow chaos and then gently deliver me to the Lanesborough. Upon entering the front door, a lovely fire roared to warm me by the door. Check in was just a moment and then off to the room.

The room was luxurious, it had a dressing room with closet just as you walked into the door, then a bedroom, a hallway to the bathroom with a desk area for work. The fax was cleverly hidden in the desk. And then the bathroom which was adorned in all that mahogany wood. It was like a mini apartment in London.

The butler helped with the unpacking, made sure we had water, that our flowers were to our satisfaction and then most importantly found out we love chocolate. So every night we had chocolate truffles set out for us. The staff also keeps fresh fruit and mints in the room for you to enjoy.

In the night stand is a little nifty device which controls the room. A LCD screen with a computer that controls room temp, lights, night lights, alarm, calls the maid, rings the butler. Press the screen and the appropriate person promptly arrives at your door.

Breakfast is in the conservatory was very pleasant. Its a room which is light bright and wonderful, especially if live music is playing gently in the background. In the evening, we enjoyed a glass of wine in the living room/bar area. Comfy sofas are set up around a fire place, again always burning, where one can enjoy the fabulous cognac selection and the "chocolate" decadence dessert.

There is only one problem with the Lanesborough, checking out. None of us wanted to leave for the next portion of our trip. A great place to be pampered and to enjoy the finer things in life.

Top 10 in the world

My wife and I have had the lucky opportunity to stay at some of the best 5* hotels in London, Sydney, Singapore and Bangkok after a recent trip. I think it is safe to say that the Lanesborough is by far the best.

The others 5* hotels were all excellent, and could hardly be faulted. But the Lanesborough is in a league of it's own. And on top of that, you will genuinely find the staff more helpful, more friendly and more down to earth that other supposedly posh hotels. This hotel is where 'the real money' in London stays...people staying there are generaly very wealthy but are not the type to show off.

I encourage anyone to spend a few nights here...all hotels you stay in afterwards will never compare for service.

Lanesborough Hotel from Hyde Park CornerLanesborough Hotel from Hyde Park Corner

tea?

by muffy0110

Will be in London in Feb.
Which is the better or the two teas?
Harrods or The Savoy
Both look wonderful. Has anyone been to both?

by lhew

i'll vote for the savoy....

by Padderz

The Savoy is the only place to take Tea.

by paulinuk2u

THE RITZ IS BEST

by BIDBOROUGH

Personally I'd go for PG Tips!

by paulinuk2u

mmm strange thats what you get in the ritz

by maxamus

Benjys are all over central london cheap Tea & sanwiches & rolls some branches have restarunts & some take away only.
A pint of tea for about 50 pence not bad, also the company gives the left over food to the homeless
at end of each day.
DAVE..

by obiwanwasabe

officially voted and recognised as the best place for tea in the UK is trenance tea gardens in Newquay Cornwall, but, it is 6 hrs away from London by train other than that, make your own all you need is taylors tea and hot water, milk n sugar to taste, and you will have a lot of change from £15.00 which I doubt you will get from the savoy or the ritz or harrods.
If you must go to one go to fornum and masons. enjoy.

Nick

by mendip6

Go for The Ritz, but don't forget to reserve in advance, it is no good just turning up on the day, you will be disappointed if you do !

by mendip6

The Angel in Abergavenny, does one of the best afternoon teas. Wonderful cakes , scones,baked on premises daily, with neat sandwiches, bone china cups etc! Pity it is 2 hours from London!

by caz400

The Ritz is best cost about £60.00 per person, but for a treat and special occcasion, well worth it

by hanaflower

Proper non-touristy afternon tea can be found in the Lanesborough Hotel on Hyde Park Corner.

I think it's about £30 / head but you will not need any supper and can stay for ages.

hanaflower

by Spincat

If you are going for a real old-fashioned tea you might as well splash out. Savoy or Ritz as the others have recommended - or Hannah's advice above is good. Don't bother with Harrods. Dress up, take plenty of money (or credit card) and have fun

Comments