The Langham Hotel, London

1C Portland Place, Regent Street, London, W1B 1JA, United Kingdom

The Langham, London
Hotels.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Incredible! Wonderful! Fantastic!

From the moment we walked in the door to the time we had to leave, we had such a great experience at the Langham hotel. The Concierge immediately came and grabbed our bags to hold while we checked in. We visited them afterward for suggestions and they were so lovely to talk to that every day when we walked in and out of the hotel, we were sure to have a conversation with them. Their suggestions were incredibly helpful and they booked everything for us with no problem.

I don't stay at many upper scale hotels, but this one was definitely worth the price. Every interaction with their employees was pleasant. Even waiting in the lobby for a friend, I had employees walking by and smiling and saying hello. Their turndown service is a great extra touch.

Unique Quality: Their running map is on a string for you to hang around your neck while running. My dad is a huge runner and was so excited to get this. What a great idea! Their gym and spa was absolutely incredible! Their pool was beautiful and their gym was definitely better than your average hotel gym. Even their bathrooms were nice!

The location is fantastic! They are right on the end of Regent Street, right near a tube stop. It's a busy area but they're around the corner so it feels away from the mess of it all.

The coolest thing is definitely the history of the place. They were the first hotel to have running water and elevators. It was opened by a Prince of Wales as Europe's first grand hotel. They also had a bunch of famous guests like Oscar Wilde, Robert Browning and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Directions: End of Regent Street

• Fen's Profile Photo

Langham Hilton

Very Posh swanky Hotel with outstanding service. :-) I really enjoyed my stay.

Unique Quality: An elegantly restored landmark in London's West End, the 429-room Langham Hilton is at the heart of London's shopping and theatre districts and near the financial area of the City. The Langham Hilton, complete with 16 metre swimming pool, gymnasium, sauna, steam room, solarium and 7 Elizabeth Arden beauty treatment rooms. The hotel also has an Amadeus Hair Salon, which is situated in the Health Club and is open to non-residents. While the Concierge Club provides guests with superior accommodation, private check-in, and an exclusive Club Lounge serving complimentary breakfast, snacks and drinks throughout the day.

• erictilley's Profile Photo

It is SO choice!

If you can afford it, or you have a best friend with lots of airline miles, this little gem is geared for the traveller bent of serious relaxation after the travails of the day. The Chukka Bar and Tsar's will take the edge off quite nicely... especially after a few wonderful vodka martinis @ The Tsar Bar has over 130 different vodkas to sample. YUMMY!!

Unique Quality: Also, the Spa at the Langham is the perfect way to wind down a trip. A sauna or massage puts you in shape for the trip back across the pond.

More about The Langham Hotel, London

Around Tottenham Court Road

by Durfun about Landau

OK, you have several choices in that area!!

First of all, how about the high-up bar in the tall tower (Centrepoint) right beside the station?? It's called Panorama!

A really cool bar/restaurant is Vanilla (www.vanillalondon.co.uk), but it's between Goodge St & Great Portland St; on Gt Titchfield rd. In fact there are many nice cafes on this long street!

Just further down from Tott Ct Rd is Oxford Circus tube. And opposite it is Langham Hotel on Portland Place. It has a gorgeous restaurant - the Landau (www.thelandau.com).

A cool club I like in the vicinity is Madame Jo Jo's on 8-10 Brewer St.

For some exotic food, surroundings/decor, and quirky desserts, you can't do better than Archipelago, not far from the BT Tower, between Goodge St & Warren St. Address: 110 Whitfield St. It's just off Tott Ct Rd! They serve crocodile, gnu, boar, bugs (!!), locust salad, etc!! The 7 course taster for sure!

Not Good Value for Price

We stayed 3 nights at the Langham, and compared to all of the other major cities in the world I've stayed in, I have to say I felt the value for cost of this hotel was most definitely not worth it. I did find the location convenient, it was clean, and the lobby area was nice. That is the extent of anything good I have to say. We booked through Hotels, which I also will never use again, and I am sure we received one of the worst rooms in the hotel - at least I assume this from the reviews that liked this place. The hotel management assured us that we had booked a standard, basic room, and that was what we received, even though we showed them our confirmation that said we had booked a superior room. At $400 a night after taxes, I think it is ridiculous to be gouged at every turn - paying extra for their fitness center, breakfast, and "calling" a taxi for us instead of just motioning to the taxi queue directly across the street, which I caught on to. I booked the Langham because I wanted a nice, comfortable hotel that had a London feel, and this room was very nondistinct and not impressive in the least. There are much, much better values in London, and I would strongly urge you to look elsewhere unless you just want to spend money without getting quality.

exceptional

by TripAdvisor Member LiverpoolBessengland

I recently stayed with my 2 children for a night and I have to say it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in not just in London but in Europe. It even beat one of my favourite stays in a New York boutique hotel when I was there on business last year. Whenever I have stayed in other London hotels I have sometimes found the staff to be pretentious and aloof. However, all of the staff without exception in The Langham are polite, friendly and attentive without being too invasive. The thing that impressed me most was how friendly they were to the children and generally how child friendly it was for a 5 star hotel (which is not always the norm). The facilities were excellent and my boys said it was the most comfortable bed they have ever slept in and I have to agree. You do have to pay extra to use the spa and pool facilities but you get complimentary Elizabeth Arden skin products to use in the price. The location is excellent and there are lots of really good cafes and restaurants near by. We had dinner in Strada at 9-10 Market Place which is one of the best Italian restaurants I have eaten in. It is good quality food and very reasonably priced. Overall a wonderful stay my only regret is that I didn't stay longer.

Brilliant value for money

excellent location 5 mins from Oxford circus tube, and a stone's throw from more cafes, bars, restaurants and shops than a lot of cities put together. the promotional rates for this hotel are exceptional value for money - worth upgrading to the superior/deluxe rooms. Mine was on 8th floor with Mary Poppins rooftop views - and v quiet, No road noise, v. little neighbour noise.

Watch out for 5 star prices in mini bar, bar and restaurants in hotel but as above - easy to find alternatives. Can't really comment on service as I was using it as a pitstop for a special occasion but for those who love traditional hotels this is a good bet. Not for lovers of the contemporary - this place is more Classic.

L stangham has no flaws

We stayed for three nights on our way home from 2 wk. in Europe where we stayed in 5 star hotels. Upon checking in we were told that our reservation for a Queen standarded room had been upgraded to a King room. The room was on the 6th. floor with a very nice vew. The amenities were above and beyond. Our luggage had been mis- sent and the hotel checked it's whereabouts several times, then when it arrived at 1:00 A.M.
they called the room and sent it up at once. Also we found the room service very affordable wjhen you used the in room beverage service.
The staff were young which I think accounts for the friendly service and great attitude.

Splendid

by TripAdvisor Member ChinkChink

The excellent Langham has a great location making access to Oxford and Regent Streets an easy walk; even Soho and the West End are manageable without a cab, given a suitable shoe/sock combination. The impressive building and interiors are well matched by the staff who were exceptionally courteous and efficient throughout our stay; something sadly not guaranteed in London, even with a hotel of this calibre. Our room was nicely decorated in a traditional style, and of a good size with a comfortable bed, the room was clean, bright and airy with effective aircon. For those seeking to minimize the costs of additional extras, there proved to be plenty of local establishments catering for breakfasts, drinks and dinners, despite the opinion of a previous reviewer; the Langham is only 200 yards from Oxford Circus, so how can anything be far away? We will certainly go back to what has become in one visit our favorite London hotel; having searched for a worthy successor to the Waldorf since it’s disappointing makeover, we think we’ve found it.

Outstanding service! Excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member Love2shoppe

I found the staff at the Langham to be outstanding. I was travelling alone and I felt as though everyone wanted to take special care of me. Breakfast at the Langham is a little pricey but I found the cost of the rooms to be reasonable compared to other hotels in this category so the cost of breakfast didn't bother me. The rooms are well appointed and have all the conveniences you would expect at any finer hotel. I was surprised to find that I didn't need a convertor for my battery charger and of course, there was a hair dryer. I would definitely stay at the Langham again...it became my home away from home for the 3 days I was there.

Langham Hotel London & LondonTown.com

by mdkulkarni

Hello
I am getting a fantastic deal for the Langham hotel in London from March 29,05 to April 2, 2005. Before I book I wanted to check on some things
1. Is it really as close as they say to Oxford Circus and Regent Street
2. Anyone stayed at the hotel?? Any opinions??
3. The fantastic rate is offered by London Town www.londontown.com Has anyone used this site before? Is it safe to book hotel rooms and airport transfers from them??
Would really appreciate a prompt response
Thanks a ton

RE: Langham Hotel London & LondonTown.com

by travelmaven

Hi I have never booked hotels through Londontown.com but I have booked airport
transfers and they were great.Cheap rate and they were on time...G

by planxty

MK is right,the Langham is one of the best hotels in London. Like him, I live in London so I've no reason to stay there even if I could afford it. If you can get an affordable deal, go for it.

by mdkulkarni

Thank you so much for the response. I was deciding between the Langham and the Hilton Park Lane .. I just needed a push.. thank you!

by paulinuk2u

I went and looked at the langham looks good, i do like the hilton park lane if you get a good deal,You can see a long way if you have high floor.look at superbreaks .com then check hotels on tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews

Comments