The Marlborough

9-15 Bloomsbury Street, , London, England HA9 9EB

More about The Marlborough

Small British Charm

by TripAdvisor Member foureyes18

I highly recommend this nice, classic British hotel. Great location around the corner from The British Museum and close to West End and Soho. Warm, accomodating staff and concierges. Room was small but not unusual considering the normal size of single rooms in London. More cozy than anything else. Reminded me of compact yet warm rooms on cruise ships. Very clean and nicely decorated. Got the room (plus free breakfast) for 84 Pounds -- what a deal! As easily as nice as the four to five star hotels I've stayed at in the West End for over twice the price during the last few years.

My first choice for London

I've stayed in a number of hotels in London - 3 and 4 star mostly. My first choice for return trips is the Montague. The rooms may not be big but they are nicely decorated with an olde world charm. Additionally, the staff generally have a good attitude.

Aggravating

by TripAdvisor Member TravelCat

There is nothing wrong with the Montague. It is clean and well appointed. The room and bed were comfortable. The location is unbeatable. The concierge's restaurant recommendations were OK but nothing to write home about.

Why is it aggravating:
- Obsequious staff. There is a fine line between providing good service and being clingy. I arrived late afternoon after walking all day. I was tired. Why was it necessary to talk my ear off and give me a full tour of the bar and other facilities when all I wanted to do was rest? Was it really necessary to call me an hour after checking in, waking me up from my nap, to ask me if "everything was all right"?

- "We upgraded you to a superior room" - so why is it a third of the size of the room my parents stayed in last year and why is the window small and facing a wall? I guess telling guests they are upgraded makes them feel good.

- 16 GBP plus tip for breakfast? Pardon me? There are plenty of small cafés in the vicinity where 16 GBP gets you breakfast for the whole family.

- Maybe this is over-the-top cranky, but I think that by now, 4-star hotels should all have duvets, not beige blankets.

- Same thing for internet access. All the Montague has is ONE station in the basement, and there is a charge. No broadband in the room, either wired or wireless.

I stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth 4 years ago and enjoyed it a lot more. It is located on the other side of the British Museum. It may have changed, but I enjoyed it then.

Absolutely Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member marianne313

We just spent a week at the Montague on the Gardens, and it was absolutely a wonderful experience....it was within walking distance to everything, but not in the midst of the hustle and bustle....the concierge was most accommodating...the English Breakfast was first class..(freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice....the food was terrific and they even have live music for a relaxing evening inside...we upgraded to a King room, which was very nice. If you want a top notch hotel with a London flair and all the amentities, stay there, you won't be disappointed!!!

Location,location.

by TripAdvisor Member Clarissa_Firebucket

Unbeatable location in London - most of the worthwhile tourist sights are within walking distance or easy Underground access - and one of the safer areas of London to stay in. The Hotel is contained within several Georgian houses knocked together and is a bit over the top "Edwardian" in style. The room we had was small, but well equipped and clean. Try for a larger room at the rear overlooking the pleasant gardens. I agree with other comments about the Staff - Uriah Heap eat you're heart out! If you find a deal, as we did, including breakfast for between £50.00 - £70.00 per person a night, this represents great value in Cental London for a pleasant Hotel which is different from the blandness of the bigger chains.

What a Great Hotel!

I staid for 5 nights and really fell in love with this hotel. I have staid in all the 5 star London hotels and next time I visit I'll head back to the Montague. It is so cozy and inviting. The rooms are a bit small but beautifully appointed and the bar and lounge areas are so welcoming that you don't feel the need to spend time in the room. Location is excellent and the service was impeccable. The Concierge was wonderful, my last visit at the Renaissance Chancery the concierge service was dreadful - it was so nice to feel so well taken care of. I look forward to my next visit to the Montague.

great things come in small packages

Put aside the postage stamp size room and luxuriate in the lovely atmosphere, remarkable staff, great location and outstanding services. My husband and I stayed at the Montague for 6 nights in late April and the atmosphere and helpful approach only enhanced our stay. Yes, the rooms are very small, not the typical 'supersize me" that you may find in the US or Canada, but as long as you are willing to organize your belongings each day it really is fine. We hung most of our clothing in the ample closet and placed other items in some drawers so the suitcases could be stowed in a corner. The shower was fabulous. The exercise room and sauna were a delight after a day of walking and touring before settling on dinner. We brought along a London Zagats and each concierge was incredibly familiar with each restaurant we inquired about and made reservations on the spot asking for special attention for us at the location. In fact they were incredibly accurate about all of our questions, even the cost of a cab to Victoria station to catch the Gatwick Express early Saturday morning. I highly recommend taking the full English breakfast with your room. The bar room was so peaceful after a long day and evening and the bartenders made a point of remembering our drink preferences when we arrived. We were quite amused when we received an invitation from the manager-Andrew Pike to have breakfast with him in the "Conservatory" midway thru our stay. We figured they had us confused with someone else but we did an admirable job of playing the part of gracious guests. If you need internet access go to the Cybercafe on Tottenhamcourt Road just a 10 minute walk away. The hotel overcharges for the use of their computer. All in all, a lovely stay in a lovely hotel that seems to take great pride in treating their guests with respect and care. Worth the money!

Comments