4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Rated 10% higher but also costs 48% more than other 4.5 star hotels

• crunkeemcghee's Profile Photo

Feel like royalty here!

The concierge was fabulous, the hotel very grand, and despite the rooms being small they were decorated in a very lovely and intimate atmosphere. Our family spent most of the time in the hotel's own bar area, which stayed open much later than the pubs! It's a bit expensive, but is very worth it if you want to feel like royalty. Also, the location is excellent as it is right next door to the British Museum in Bloomsbury and less than 10 minutes walk away from some of the most popular areas in London. There is also a great tube stop (Russell Square or Tottenham Court Rd.) right nearby!

Directions: Bloomsbury District, next to the British Museum & very close to Russel Square.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Intimate luxury boutique hotel

Having never stayed in London prior to this trip, I wanted a place that would be secure and safe to walk at night. I wanted a quieter area of London but close enough to the attractions I wanted to see. I chose this hotel because it caters to the female traveler who travels alone by providing extra locks as well as female maids and room service servers. This hotel is a "gem" and I will stay here again when I return to London in the future.

The Montague on the Garden is an intimate boutique hotel rated Four-Star Deluxe by the RAC and AA. Five Crown Silver Award from the English Tourist Board. It Overlooks a secluded garden square including a private conservatory. Guests can walk to Covent Garden, the West End theatres as well the British Museum which is located across the street from the hotel.

I had a superior double room which looked out over a lovely garden. The bed was very comfortable, the temperature gauge kept the room at a constant temperature, the towels in the bathroom were thick, and thirsty. Many amenities included an in room safe, web tv (this was a bit difficult to see as the resolution was poor and it was a bit pricey at 7.00 bps for one hour of use), mineral water, a blow dryer, an iron and a trouser press, and very nice bathrobes to use during your stay. Excellent room service as well.

Unique Quality: There is a sitting room on the ground floor where one may entertain guests which I did on 3 separate occasions. There were no glares or stares from the staff as a matter of fact, Mustapha the concierge, stepped forward to snap a picture or two for us. It was just like entertaining in my home. The staff is most competent and polite, they go out of the way to assist in making your stay a memorable one.

Another unique item that this hotel provided for the room which I have never seen before, was a full compliment of business implements such as scotch tape, a stapler, a pair of scissors, paper clips as well as plain envelopes, pens and pencils. This came in so handy when I had to wrap a gift or two!

The Montague has a very lovely high tea for a reasonable price, which rivals many upscale places that offer a high tea in London, they also have the Blue Door Bistro restaurant where you can have dinner at the Chef's table in the kitchen! Now how cool is that?

Directions: In the Bloomsbury district 5 minute walk to the tube (Russell Square) on the Picadilly line.

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

Lots of luxury despite a tiny room

I LOVED this hotel!

For some reason, I was able to find a very low price for a weekend in October at the last minute - only 105 pounds per night for a single, and again, inexplicably, was upgraded to a king room. (This was for a "Bloomsbury Room" - a couple of notches above a standard room and a couple of notches below the Executive Suite.)

Ahhhh! The life of luxury! Where to start?

An extraordinary welcome at reception. Very helpful concierge. Fabric walls, a fresh carnation in the bathroom, a welcoming glass of champagne brought to your room on arrival. The most luxurious, copious reversable-lined draperies I've ever seen (outside of the velvet drapes in "Gone with the Wind.") Original artwork. Fluffy terrycloth bathrobes. Matching slippers embroidered with their signature red carnation. Plasma screen television. Marble bath with elegant fixtures. Lots of towels! And face cloths! They have face cloths!

Even the electrical outlets! They have sockets designed for British, European continent and North American plugs! I've never seen this at any hotel before! Inside the desk drawer, "sticky" notes, stapler, and other typical office supplies.

Charming, charming public rooms. They serve tea in the afternoon. Breakfast includes fresh squeezed orange or grapefruit juice,with your choice of an extensive continental or full English breakfast, including sausages and eggs.

Turndown service, candy on the bed....

Please stop! You're spoiling me!

London is a very expensive city, but the Montague on the Gardens is a comparative bargain, well below the price of other hotels I searched, and well within walking distance of many sites and west-end theaters.

OK, there is one thing. The room is relatively small - that is, not much room between the bed and the furniture.

But that's it. That's the ONLY thing I could think of to complain about. But I don't want to. I really LOVED this hotel!

Unique Quality: A true, luxury boutique hotel - constructed from several 4 story-high townhouses, next to the British Museum on a very quiet street. Exceptional staff.

Directions: Bloomsbury, next to the British Museum (the east side), just south of Russell Square

• RoseAmano's Profile Photo

English-style Traditional Hotel

The location is near Russell Sq. and very convenient to walk to arriving to this area by the Airport Limosine Bus. (Left side of the photo is the hotel)

The building and rooms are traditionally decorated in typical English style - I loved the breakfast dining room!

• Manara's Profile Photo

A cosy hotel in Bloomsbury

Elegant, quiet and cosy, the Montague provides real comfort everywhere: in the lounge, the bar, the restaurant and especially in the rooms, that are not so cramped as those of many other London hotels.
    There are discounted last-minute rates if you book less than 21 days in advance.

Unique Quality: The Montague has also rooms designed to meet the needs of business travellers, with internet, individual fax, even shopping service for those who wish to shop in London but have no time to spare for it.
    I have been there twice on work trips and I would definitely choose it again.

Directions: Close to the British Museum

More about The Montague On The Gardens

I like it!

by TripAdvisor Member FlyingFinn

This was the second time I stayed in this hotel, and I liked it very much again. The best part is the very attentive and friendly staff, who make you feel very comfortable.

The quiet street behind the British Museum is a good place for a hotel, not exactly in the busiest area in the town, but within walking distance to many atractions. The public spaces are cozy and to my eye very english in their style (so if your prefer modern design, this is not the place for you). The bar of the hotel has a little terrace to the garden behind the hotel.

My room was small, quite decorated, bathroom was spacy enough, and everything was well kept and clean. Nevertheless, in the night one could quite clearly here the neighbours discussing and ...eh.. you know what people do in the nights.

Regardless this minor problem in noice isolation I will go there again.

pretty, but

by TripAdvisor Member mfprovence

We stayed one night in April and although the hotel is very lovely and in a very good location, there were many inconsistencies . The staff was quite stuffy and impersonal and ill imformed. I was told they had upgraded my room to the newer section, but they said the bed was smaller and asked if would we like to pay 21 pounds more for a superior king. My reservation was for a king superior with a garden view. When I asked for the room I requested, I was shown two older double beds, no view and not much bigger. We stayed in the newer section in what americans would consider a queen bed. It was very elegantly furnished, new bed but very very small. You needed to turn sideways to get around the bed and just about every part of the room except the bath which was larger. The staff look anxious and nervous and the phone call immediately after you get to room is quite annoying because you haven't even looked around yet. The restaurant food and service was so disappointing and we were almost late for the theatre because of it and they did not have our taxi waiting as requested. The Concierge also told us in the morning Paddington station was open, but it was not and we had to take a taxi instead to the airport. I would recommend finding another hotel in the area.

Gorgeous!

by TripAdvisor Member becsybun

Just spent a fantastic long weekend at the Montague. From the moment we got there everything was great - I cannot praise the staff highly enough. The food was fab (especially the breakfasts!!!) and the cocktails were mixed to perfection!!

A wonderful place to stay, within easy distance of tube stations, although walking is an option too!

A gorgeous boutique hotel which I can highly recommend. I will be returning soon.

Comments