33 Tothill Street, Westminster, London, SW1H 9LA, United Kingdom

Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

Rated 16% higher but also costs 109% more than other 3 star hotels

• timecop's Profile Photo

Nice

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel in June 2005. We got there early in the morning, but our room was ready and it was of a reasonable size, roomy bathroom, with air conditioning, my husband thought that the bed was uncomfortable, but it felt fine to me. It would have been helpful if there were hooks on the bathroom door to hang your clothes, also drawer/closet space was to a minimum. The staff was very helpful, especially Marilyn who had relatives living in Rhode Island. The other gentleman on duty was not very efficient, having transferred my daughter who called from the USA to the wrong room twice and took ice that we requested to the wrong room. A great location with many attractions within walking distance. Ate at the pub on our first night, the food was not great; we did not eat there again. Although I have read complaints, the lift worked the entire time we were there. Because of its location, I might stay there again.

More about The Sanctuary House Hotel

Lovely quiet stay

by TripAdvisor Member Stijnv71

We stayed in the Sanctuary House Hotel in the weekend of February 25th - 27th 2005 and we had a great time. For my family I reserved three rooms via ---- for EUR 99 per night each and I suppose I could not have made a better choice for this price.

The hotel is located on a quiet spot just behind Westminster Abbey and on walking distance of the heart of London. The rooms are more than average, traditionally but tastefully furnitured, quiet and have comfortable bathrooms. The next time in Londen we will return to the Sanctuary House Hotel and I can recommend it to anyone!

by TripAdvisor Member janeavril

This was our first trip to London, and we chose the Sanctuary House Hotel because of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. The location just could not be beat. The hotel is between two tube stops, which made it very convenient. The area is very quiet at night, in fact, the only complaint I had was that there was nowhere to get a late-night snack after an evening out on the town. The staff was very friendly, and the room was clean and comfortable. I am very particular about hotels, and I would return to the this hotel in a heartbeat.

Dream come True

by TripAdvisor Member Marquetta

I had never been to London and wanted to spend my time out and about in the city and not worried about my lodgings. The Sanctuary House was great. Wonderful location, great staff. Room was very comfortable and super clean. Even the water pressure in the shower exceeded my expectations. Would stay there again in a flash. My whole trip to London really was a dream come true.

Very Nice Hotel - Quiet and Clean

by TripAdvisor Member travelguyNYC

The Sanctuary House is a wonderful find in London at a relatively modest price. It is literally just down the street from Westminster Abbey and Big Ben in a great area that is very quiet at night. Our rooms were well-appointed with firm beds, spotless bathrooms and great water pressure. It has all the amenities you could want from a moderately priced hotel and let's face it, when you are in London you don't want to spend very much time in your room. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Our rooms included continental breakfast which was served in the pub downstairs. They had an above average selection of breakfast type food that could be supplemented with eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. for an additional cost if you wish. My teen-age nephews were very happy with the selection of breakfast cereals available as well as their perfectly prepared hard-boiled eggs. What's not to love about this hotel...I will be back. Closest Underground: St. James, only 2 blocks away

A great value for London

One would be hard pressed to find a better location in London; one block north of Westminster Abbey and Parliment Square. In addition to the great location, this is a very nice hotel. The property is immaculate and the roooms are comfortable and tastefully decorated. I have stayed in London on several occasions, but this is the first hotel I can definitely say I will return to for future visits. One word of advice; the food served in the pub downstair is mediocre at best. There are many pubs within three blocks of the hotel and I suggest visiting them. Specifically, I had lunch on St. Patrick's Day at the nearby Adam & Eve and the lamb and apricot pie was great. For those of you who enjoy Starbucks coffee, there are two stores nearby (though the front desk personnel seem comepletely unaware of there existance), on Victoria St. and across from St. James Park tube station.

Wonderful location

by TripAdvisor Member slbalp

Just returned from a 6 nite stay at The Santuary House - an outstanding location, b/t Wesminster and St James Park tube stations. St James Park is absolutely lovely, and the proximity to so many sites and conveniences (Parliament houses, Westiminster Abbey (2 blks away), Buckingham Palace, patasseries, shops, etc) made it an excellent choice. Hotel was very clean, quiet & staff very friendly. It's above a small pub, but you cannot hear any noise in your room! Pub food was very good, as well, and their ventilation system allieviated the smoking concern we had for our daily breakfast. We stayed on the 4th floor, twin room, full private bath/shower. Great water pressure, very clean. Beds were firm, comfortable. Would recommend hotel mgmt to include wash cloths w/towels and update cable TV (we got 6 channels, although they list satellite TV for each room). I would highly recommend this hotel and will return on my next visit. For those first time visitors to London, this hotel is an exceptional value (our Easter promotion: 75 pounds w/full breakfast per nite) and the area (Westiminster) is very safe, clean & most centrally located.

good value for London but inconsistent

by TripAdvisor Member zamoraj

We stayed here twice. First time in mid-March. We were given a wonderful, newly refurbished, bright, corner room with a four-poster bed. The second time (two weeks later) we were given a rather ordinary room with a double bed. Room quality was inconsistent despite us paying the same rate. I am unsure if we were up-graded without being notified during our first stay but during our second stay we were a bit disappointed with the room.

That having been said, the hotel is good value in a city known for its astronomical hotel rates. We secured a rate at 70 pounds per night on both visits (room only). The hotel is very well located in a quiet part of Westminster BUT within very easy walking distance to the Abbey and St James Park. The St James Park tube station is less than 100m away. Buckingham Palace, Horse Guards, Parliament are a little further away. Several pubs nearby. There is also a good place for breakfast just a block away near the tube station - get breakfast there instead of at the hotel pub downstairs.

Food at the pub is lacklustre and the hotel front desk staff tried to be helpful but were not very knowledgable.

I would recommend this place based on its value. I would try to get that corner room again though...

Great place for first time visitors

by TripAdvisor Member NYCharles

Excellent hotel for the price and location. We booked after reading postings on Tripadvisor which is why I feel compelled to leave a review myself. London is so expensive so this hotel is a true deal. Clean, authentic London feel. It was so cute and friendly, loved the pub downstairs, not for the food- just because I liked that it was there. If the pub is not what you're looking for there are a ton more nearby. It is the government business area so it is dead on the weekends- not a place for nearby nightlife. It is walking distance to major tourist attractions. We walked to Westminster Abby and saw Big Ben lit up at night. Also walked to the Thames and London Eye. About a five minute walk. Great place for first time visitors.

Exceptional value

This is a well-designed, scrupulously clean and comfortable hotel in an excellent location. Its extremely competitive room rate belies the quality of its furnishings, size of accommodation and high levels of service. I would recommend it unreservedly for business travelers and holidaymakers alike.

hotel with access to Royal Festival Hall

by the1truespawn

I am hoping to catch a concert at the Royal Festival Hall and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reasonably-priced hotel with easy access to the venue. Any ideas?

by londonbabe

The cheapest hotel I know of in the local area is the Days
It's not the most attractive of places from the outside, and the location on Kennington Road is a bit grim, but I think the rooms are OK and it's a great deal cheaper than the Marriott at City Hall!!

Sarah

by winterson

Hi
I always like the Sanctuary House Hotel in Westminster. Its away from that more seedy area across the river but central enough for you to walk to most places. Its 3 star and the rack rate may be a bit high so I suggest you book with a booking engine such as Tripadvisor or Hotelclub.com. There is a 'pub' on the premises which is nice and serves typical English fare (Pies etc). I was there some time ago but I understand they were refurbishing the place. No parking though! Check it out on: http://www.fullershotels.com/main/1011
but book through a discount site!

Regards
John

by the1truespawn

I found this place online - is this in a better area? Is it still fairly close to Southbank?

Tudor Court Hotel
10-12 Norfolk Square London, W2 1RS GB

I appreciate your help!

- CT

by winterson

Hi
Your hotel is in Paddington (nr Paddington Station) which is just outside the west end/city centre. You will need to take the tube to your venue , but if this hotel is at a reasonable price then its not too bad a spot. You will be close to Hyde Park and the surrounding 'burbs' of Notting Hill and Kensington which are always lively!

The Hotel I suggested is better located but if cost is an issue then anywhere is the London central area with its excellent transport is OK.

I should warn you that hotels in Europe are not quite like the ones in the US. They usually have much smaller rooms, no elevators and while they rate them, a 3 star property in Europe won't match up with a 3 star in the US. The exception probably being when you get into the luxury class.

Have a nice time,
John

by londonbabe

If you could give us an idea of your budget we could probably help out with ideas for hotels which have easy transport links?

Cheers