The Southwark Rose Hotel

Rated 11% higher but also costs 58% more than other 3 star hotels

More about The Southwark Rose Hotel

In the centre

by explore57 about Southwark Rose Hotel

When you are in London, there is so much to do....you hardly stay at the hotel room. And so this hotel is a good fit. Simple, Elegant and very Modern.

Very limited food options in the hotel and No room service !!!! Ok Customer service...much easier if you understand Eastern European accent Contempory Style..very Modern looking....

Very close to London Bridge, Tower Bridge an dLondon eye

A Gem

by TripAdvisor Member con-fused8

Just back from a fantastic weekend in London.The Southwark Rose Hotel is a lovely clean and friendly hotel.The room was immaculate and the breakfast is well worth the £8.99 for buffet style which includes full fry.All the tourist attractions are within easy walking distance and the tube and train station are also so close.Would highly reccomend this hotel and we are looking forward to our next visit.

Had a lovely stay at the Southwark Rose

by TripAdvisor Member fionapage

We were visiting london for the weekend and booked this hotel online via their website. It was below average price for b&b in central london and also offered VERY cheap parking.

The hotel is verystylish and modern. The staff are helpful and efficient, and we had a swift check-in and check-out. The rooms are small, but have everything you need, including electric blinds (very exciting!) and steam free mirrors in the bathroom!

The bed is lovely with a giant square pattern headboard. It is very clean, well kept and very inviting.

We were going for tea at the ritz so were only going to have a small breakfast, but with the massive selection ot tasty cold meats, cereals, yoghurts, juices and spreads, we ate a huge breakfast - it was delicious!

Would recommend as a romantic break, or just as a place to stay in london. Oter reviewers are right,. its not that central, but it is only 2 minutes from london bridge tube station so we had no problem getting around.

highly recommended - book on their website for discounts on rates!

Amazing Value; Not Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member 2BAnonymous

Unlike the previous reviewer, I did not think that the location of the Southwark Rose was too inconvenient. If I wanted to be right in the middle of things, I would have shelled out the extra 100 pounds to stay there. Instead, the Southwark Rose is a clean, contemporary hotel in a quiet area within easy walking distance of the London Bridge tube station. All at an unbelievable value (we paid £105).

I found the staff to be friendly enough (the girl at the desk remembered later at checkout that I had mentioned that my last visit to London was 20 years ago and she asked how my most recent visit was - a nice touch), but not over the top good. Pretty consistent with this type of hotel and star rating.

As I expected, the room was small but comfortable. The finish out was modest and contemporary - with a simple and clean stylishness to it. The door to the bathroom was cleverly done such that you could close off only the toilet or the entire bathroom depending on the level of privacy demanded. My only nit was that the TV was tiny and the channel selection was pretty limited. But since I did not go to London to watch the TV, I really cannot complain.

Okay, so the Soutwark Rose is not perfect, but for all that it offers at a 50% relative discount to similar quality hotels in the city, I will stay there every time I return to London.

Clean, clinical, modern, quiet

The Southwark Rose is located on Southwark Bridge Road, which is quite busy but is surprisingly quiet after about 10 PM. If you want guaranteed quiet ask for a room at the rear of the hotel. The hotel is well placed, but a little out from the main attractions, but good tube & travel comnnections mean this is not a problem. Reception staff are coolly efficient and the whole place feels like a modern private hospital - clean, clinical and no frills - no real ambience - but high quality and peaceful . Food is good, plentiful and freshly cooked. Overall a quaity place - if you are on business or visiting and want quiet, quality accomodation with a bit of class you will be well satisfied here.

Decent enough hotel, shame about the location

by TripAdvisor Member LeeJB

We stayed in this hotel for a weekend out in London, for 6 people.

The hotel is pretty decent. Decent room size (for London, anyway), decent bathroom with a good shower, decent staff (they were fairly pleasant to us, we didn't experience the problems of other members).

The room, decor and experience fits pretty well with its 3 star rating. I'd say that's quite accurate.

However, the biggest problem for us was the location.

It's a 15 minute walk to the nearest tube station which may not sound a lot, but it's a pain in the rear when you want to go out shopping or out for the night, when the tubes close at just gone midnight or you have a load of bags to carry back to your room.

It's right near the Financial Times building, and the area is DEAD (although, if you follow the stairs down next to the FT building, there's a nice restaurant area with a Nandos and a few other trendy looking places).

If you want to be in the heart of the action- and by that, I mean Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus, Oxford Street, etc- I would not recommend this place unless you like walking or don't mind calling a cab everywhere you want to go.

All in all, it'll take you about 30-40 minutes to get to each of these places with the walking, the tube changes, etc. Again, this may be fine for some people- but for a group who just wanted to go out shopping and out for the night, it was a bit of an inconvenience.

The hotel itself is decent enough, but there are a few niggles that were a little frustrating...

1. Using the Internet wirelessly was very expensive- 13 pounds for a 24 hour pass. That's about $20-- and the connection was VERY slow, too... almost dial-up at times (they have free Internet access upstairs using their own computers, though-- but it's not the same if you need to download your email or work from your own laptop).

2. There was no room service. They DO have a bar/restaurant upstairs, but that stops serving their full menu pretty early- and up to 2am, you can only get chips, onion rings and other crappy foods.

3. Their restaurant service in the early evening was STUPIDLY SLOW. My friend and I ordered a burger- and with just 1 other table occupied in the restaurant, it took them *45 minutes* to bring the food to the table (and even then, they forgot the side orders-- which took an additional 15 minutes).

And believe me, the food was NOT worth waiting for (or the 30 pound bill that came with it!)

4. The rooms was decently decorated, but there were scuff marks on the walls, and little things like the toilet roll holder hanging off its hinges annoyed me. These kinds of things should be checked regularly and resolved- it's not a big deal.

5. The staff messed up my reservation. I told them, via phone (twice) and during check-in (a further 2 times) that we wanted 1 double room and 1 suite for the first night and 2 doubles and 1 twin the second, because another member of our party was coming that 2nd night and it made sense.

A fairly simple request, you would think, but it caused a great deal of confusion for them. They asked me to a) phone them to confirm this, b) confirm this via email... and then on the Saturday morning, two of the rooms still got calls to check-out, when I had told them 4 times previously that we would be simply switching rooms and NOT checking out until the Sunday.

They charged it all to my card, as requested, and the amounts were eventually right-- however, when I got home, I received an email saying that 2 of our party didn't show... how they came to that conclusion, I have no idea.

Overall, a decent enough hotel with fairly decent rates (we paid 75 pounds per room, per night- except for the suite, which was 120)-- but the location and the room for improvement would very likely mean that I won't be returning there in the future.

Glad we stayed here. Great location for the south bank.

by TripAdvisor Member tagger

We don't mind a bit of walking so this hotel was ideal for us. Modern /quiet /clean/near enough the National Theatre to walk back at night. The walk way by the Thames was pleasant at all times of the day or evening. I'd stay here again. You may upgrade from the Continental breakfast for £4, and get the cooked breakfast which was different from anything I had seen before. Almost a work of art with a frill on top!! In the middle of the plate you have a scewer of gammon steak, steak, and a huge cumberland sausage which was delicious. All sorts of breakfast items served with it. More a main meal than a breakfast. Would be adequate for anyone. We went back to the Continental for our 2nd and third morning, it was very good too. As others have said the bed is very firm, but not a problem for us. We found the staff very nice and attentive. I would recommend a visit to the Gilbert Collection at Summerset house, I drooled over the fantastic collection of ABOUT 200 jewel encrusted snuff boxes for ages. The history behind some of them was captivating. The Collection is on the opposite riverside from the hotel just a short distance from the actual Sommerset house entrance. the building in the photo is worth having a walk round. It's nicknamed the Gherkin, actual name 30 saint Mary's Wynde. The other location was within reasonable walking distance to the hotel, I think it tooka leisurley about 25 minutes.

worst hotel I have ever stayed in in London over 25 yers

by TripAdvisor Member lynda60

Welcome: very poor; it was 30degress outside, I was struggling with luggage through the revolving door only one working) three healthy young women in reception watching but not helping (I am 60). Another guest had to help me. When challanged on this hotel management said they don't provide this service (it would mean the tarriff wouldhave to be increased!) but "staff would help if asked". This was not my experience.
Dealing with problems: There was a phone charge on my account for four minutes to a number I did not know. As a matter of principle I do not use hotel phones: I prefer my mobile. When this charge appeared I asked to have it investigated. instead I was told that I was in the room at the time and their rechnoolgoy was never wrong: so I would have to pay.
The other technology advantage they advertised were in-room safes. The safe in my room did not work. On enquiring I was told that it had stopped working some time before and they decided not to re-activate it in case it failed again.!!
Management of the complaint: Dissatisfied with the attitude of the staff and my experiences at checkout (the phone bill and the implication that I had lied about the phone) I asked to see the Manager. He was too busy to see me then; I offered to return later that day, my plane left that evening, but he would be too busy to see me at that time too!!
Finally on my return home I lodged a complaint with the booking agent; after three attempts to get a responnse and weeks later, I was told (not by the elusive manager, but one of his staff) that I should have asked for help and that because I was in the room at the time I must have made the call. (Is it possible that I can make phone calls and not remember?)
The hotel was clean and the ariconditioning worked

Great location and fantastic value for money

by TripAdvisor Member R.H.B.M

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on here - it was for a surprise trip to London for my boyfriend's birthday so it needed to be great, but also within a certain budget. Well, it was even better than I expected, especially for a 3 star rated hotel.

The staff were courteous, although we didn't really have to say much to them other than to check in and check out. At breakfast, they were fairly brisk, but not impolite and I noticed that they were very helpful to other guests who did have queries.

The room itself actually looked exactly like it does on the pictures (I was beginning to think this was unheard of) - it was clean, and spacious and the bathroom was clean and well designed. The shower was excellent too (i've never used such a powerful shower in a 3 star hotel!) The blackout blind is a thoughtful and useful touch to the room. I found it to be nice and quiet when we got back (at about 2.30am) and with the blind down a restful night's sleep was easily achieved.

We didn't use the restaurant other than at breakfast time so I can't comment on the general menu. However, I highly recommend the breakfast - the continental breakfast was varied and continually refilled, even near the end of the breakfast period (which incidentally runs to 11am at weekends, which is gratefully received when you stay out until the middle of the night!) My boyfriend turned down the offer of upgrading to the full breakfast as he'd assumed it was also served buffet style (we've had this happen before, and it really wasn't worth it, very poor quality) but we later discovered it is actually cooked to order and looks delicious, so if you're tempted, from what other reviewers say too, then go for it!

I had initially worried about the location but it was actually fantastic having great access to London's South Bank, the London Eye etc, and it didn't take too long to walk into more central areas of London. (So it's a great spot for seeing London as a tourist) It is also only about 5 mins walk to the London Bridge tube station which of course means you're instantly connected to the rest of London anyway.

I recommend this hotel very highly!

Clean and neat

by TripAdvisor Member Rebecca93

Booked this hotel for 1 night having read the reviews here. A lovely hotel. Very clean, staff very hospitable, breakfast very good. All in all, an excellently priced hotel and would stay there again.

The Claghan pub - LondonThe Claghan pub - London

Buckingham Palace with the horses 1950Buckingham Palace with the horses 1950

Parthenon pediments - Dionysos & AthenaParthenon pediments - Dionysos & Athena

London Sept 11, 2009London Sept 11, 2009

cab capacity for 4 travelers and suitcases

by jgraboyes

a family of 4 is arriving at Victoria station by train from Gatwick and needs to get to the base2stay hotel kensington. would a taxi be able to take the 4 of us and suitcases in one car? how would that compare to going by the underground in cost?
thanks

by leics

will give you an idea of London taxi fares.

Black cabs are larger than cars, but whether you would all fit into one with your bags depends on what is available at the rank.

Tube fares will cost you 4GBP each (no charge for bags).

by TheLongTone

Whatever happened to affordable public transport?

by johnmperry

Black cabs are built to accommodate four adults (with enough headroom for gents wearing top hats). As well as luggage space - suppose to be for hay for the horse, but times change.

By the way, you can get cheap bus fare from Gatwick to Victoria if you book beforehand. Easyjet/Greenline.

National Express offer a hotel pick-up and deliver service in central London.

by leics

will give you all the transport options fromGawtick.

you can get the bus/es without booking in advance, though fares may be higher.

http://www.dot2.com/Home.aspx is the door to door National Express shuttle, which might be your most convenient option.

Gawtick?

Gatwick! :-)

by uglyscot

underground may be cheaper, but taking luggage can be horrific as many stations may not have lifts and manipulating cases on escalators is awkward. Also with 4 people and luggage, you may have trouble getting everything in before the doors close. I got trapped with luggage in and one arm, rest of me on platform and unable to open the doors!

Comments