54 Upper Berkeley St., Marble Arch, London, W1H 7QR, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Agoda.com Travelocity

More about The Sumner Hotel

Luxury and Location for a Great Price

by TripAdvisor Member dchen666

I've been to London 3 times in 2006, and stayed at 3 different hotels each time. The Sumner Hotel was my most recent stay. For the price (100-150 pounds), the Sumner is an excellent hotel. It's not the best hotel I've stayted at, but this price range is the hardest price range to find a decent hotel in London.

The Sumner has nice rooms, a great location, friendly staff and an excellent breakfast.

The Room:
I stayed in a "deluxe" room, which is now called the Superior King, for 140 pounds a night including breakfast. The room was quite large for London (the 12 foot high ceilings helped) with a king sized bed, a small desk, a small refridgerator, a flat screen tv on mounted on the wall, a wicker bench and an armoire. The decor was modern and minimalistic. Not my taste exactly, but it was nice nonetheless. The room lacked a dresser, so unless all of your clothes hang, you pretty much are living out of your bag.

The bathroom was small but functional. The bathroom only had a shower stall that was a tight fit for one, but it also had a great shower massager!

The room and bathroom were very clean overall. My biggest complaint about the room is that the room (on the 2nd floor) faced the street, and every single noise outside could be heard rather clearly. It's not that bad since Upper Berkeley (pronounced BARK-lee) is a remote, generally quiet street.

The big plus about the Sumner is the free wireless internet. London hotels generally charge 10-20 pounds for in-room internet access, which is not a nominal fee considering the weakness of the dollar. So this is a bug plus if you are travelling with laptop in tow. However, if you're travelling on business (like me), this is not the best place to be as their is no business center with printer/fax/copy capabilities (although I am sure could get that done by the staff if you needed). They do have a generally-available PC with internet access; this too is a plus as most hotels will charge a few pounds for 30 minutes access to a PC with internet.

Breakfast:
If you are a fan of strong coffee and English breakfast (runny eggs and some kind of meat - generally sausage), then you will be a fan of the Sumner's breakfast. Personally, I thought it was fantastic. They also have fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal and pastries. It's a great way to start the day. I am not sure how much extra the rate is with breakfast included, but it was worth it to me.

Location:
The Sumner is two blocks due north of Marble Arch station, which is at the tail end of the shopping district along Oxford Street. Selfridge's and Marks&Spencer are within walking distance (or a quick bus ride), and Bond Street is walk-able as well.

Marble Arch is on the Central Line, which is convenient if you are focusing on Central London. If you are going anywhere else, you'll need to transfer (not a big deal, but not as convenient as some other stations).

The Sumner is also a 5 mintue cab ride (about 10 pounds) from Waterloo train station, so if you take the Heathrow Express to Waterloo and then a cab to the Sumner, it'll take you about 45 minutes and cost you about 25 pounds (this is a bargain and it's quick).

The one downside to the hotel is that the area around Marble Arch severely lacks decent restaurants - even if you're looking for a quick bite or something casual - the choices are very limited.

Staff:
This is a boutique hotel and has more of a family-owned feel to it. I did not interact with the staff very much, but they were very friendly and helpful with the few things I did need.

Overall:
The Sumner Hotel is a great hotel for the price - it has nice, large, clean rooms and is in a good location convenient to most of Central London. You really can't get such luxury and location for under 150 pounds in London.

However, if you can afford a few pounds more, I highly recommend the Park City Hotel (in the 150-200 pound range). It's in a better location and more luxurious for the price. My other stay this year in London was the Renaissance Chancery Court, which is absolutely fabulous, if you can afford the 300 pound/night room fare.

My final word on the Sumner is that you can't go wrong if you stay here. Are there better places to stay? Absolutely, but the Sumner is rare in that it offers a great, luxurious place to stay at an incredibly affordable price.

New favorite hotel in London

by TripAdvisor Member mcshan

I booked this hotel online and expected a nice place, but the Sumner was a fantastic new find. The rooms were comfortable and stylishly decorated, the bathrooms were modern, the beds extremely comfortable, the breakfast very tasty and the location is great. Would stay here again definitely and totally recommend. I would say you can't get better for the money for a boutique hotel in London right now.

Very Good Hotel For The Money

by TripAdvisor Member larover

Stayed here for 4 nights and found it to be a very good hotel for the money. I do think that it would in fact be hard to beat for the money. The hotel is close to The Marble Arch tube stop which would not be my first choice in London but it was relatively close to theatre, Harrod’s and Chelsea which having been to London before was what I came for this time. Also being Marble Arch the restaurants were alittle cheaper than in other areas which the few times we ate in the area was nice.

The hotel has a very nice parlor or sitting room with a computer and free internet. The computer will print out documents to the nearby front desk printer and there is no charge. The sitting room also has a sofa and several chairs and guide books to London. It is right at street level facing the street so you see people walking by and cars which I enjoyed. There is also a gas fireplace in the sitting room which makes it very pleasant. We had tea and biscuits served to us a few nights in the sitting room for a very nominal fee which was very very nice.

We had the king bedded (larger) room facing the street. Everything about the room was quite nice…….comfy bed, decent pillows, very clean and flat screen tv. The tv was in an odd spot, on the wall to the right of the bed, which made watching it a bit of a strain. The chairs in the room were not terribly comfortable. I would take exception with a previous reviewers comment that there were only 2 items in the mini bar in that it is not actually a mini bar. Rather it is a refrigerator for guest use in which they provide one flat and one fizzy water I believe at no charge. Diagonally across the street is a grocery store, which always seemed to be open, where you can buy whatever you want, at decent prices, and put it in the refrigerator.

There is no gym however there are two Marriot’s nearby where you can use their facilities for a fee (the older one at Marble Arch has better facilities as it has been redone) although at both hotels they didn’t charge me……it seemed to be more trouble to the staff than it was worth.

I do agree that the walls are very thin between the rooms and that would be my only major criticism. We could hear the guests next door using the toilet which was somewhat of an annoyance. When there were loud guests in the room next door we heard more. I would not recommend this hotel for younger people who might want to stay out late and go clubbing and then sleep in the next day….you’ll disturb people coming in late at night and I do think it might be difficult to sleep in although we did sleep from 11AM to 5PM one day because of jet lag with not much trouble.

A full breakfast at this price was a nice addition. I have had better hotel breakfasts but also worse and for the money I thought this breakfast was quite nice……eggs, meat, cheese, cereals, juice, coffee, tea, cumber slices, scones, muffins.

A very friendly staff and guests made this quite a nice stay. From the moment I called the hotel from Los Angeles with help with finding the best Indian Restaurant in town that we would enjoy (top food with friendly service and relatively informal) I knew I made the right choice. That restaurant was Chutney Mary’s by the way which we really enjoyed.

I would probably return to this hotel if it continues to offer such good rates. There is a lot to be said for the small boutique hotels in my book, where there are friendly staffs and nice communal rooms. However if the rates rose by a fair amount I would be tempted to check out some choices in Covent Garden and the Kensington area.

Stunning!

by TripAdvisor Member PoshHotelJunky

I stayed at The Sumner in December 2006 and it's a perfect little hotel! The room was spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable, breakfast was great ... they serve hot cross buns at Christmas time: superb!!!

How many times have you stayed in a hotel and from about 7am, every door in the place starts banging making it impossible to sleep? Well, at The Sumner, every door is fitted with a clever little device which gently and quietly shuts the door. It's little details like that which make this hotel stand out from the competition.

I wholeheartedly recommend the hotel.

99,80% score !!

by TripAdvisor Member M&M-0511

Just returned from the Sumner, we stayed there just for one night. Looking for a nice hotel we finally booked this hotel based on previous revieuws. We booked it directly on the sumner-website, (discount, final total amount was Epound 116!!) the smaller room.

The space between the end of the bed and the wall is not very wide, but wide enough to walk. Room is 100% clean and wonderfull decorated, it is exactly like the pictures! Provided with a large wardrobe, good bed (it's higher than normal, lenght of the bed is ok; husband is 6.2 feet no problem), clean carpet. (I always hate it when there are strange stains on floors in hotel rooms). Nice and clean linnen. Bathroom is adequate with a very nice shower !

Minor thing was the temperature; too hot!! Which was easily altered by changing the airco and opening a window. Another small minor thing was the breakfast-room; it's pretty small but no one had to wait to be seated. But these two issues are the only negative points about the hotel.

Hotel is located in a very nice and save location. Staff is indeed very friendly; they checked our flight (Heathrow fog) and we were allowed to leave our suitcase behind in the hotel the next day, for a couple of hours. Everything with a sincere smile.

We will definitely return here !

nice hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member JKP_SEPtravellers

My husband & I (from Chicago) stayed at Sumner for 4 nights. Being near Edgeware Road, Marble Arch and Oxford Street, this location is wonderful. The Bond Str. and Marble Arch tube stations are nearby and beautiful neighborhoods are steps from the door. We've stayed in London a number of times, at fancier places (including Browns and The Langham), and this is definitely one we'll go back to in the future.

The room was big, the service pleasant and breakfast adequate enough to get you through the morning. Highly recommended.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JustbackfromZante

As we spend 2 nights in London for New Year's Eve, and based on the writing about this hotel, we choosed the Sumner as we like to try new hotels in London.
As said, aera is nice and safe. Hotel is only 5-7 minutes away from Marble Arch tube station and Oxford Street. Hyde Park isn't far as well. Try the good (but pricey) Indian restaurant "La Porte des Indes".

Room was big and clean, with a nice LCD TV which is almost normal for a new 4* hotel in London. The only thing is that we had a room facing the hotel and which was noisy because it hasn't really soundproofed windows. Traffic there can be heavy.
Nice staff. Breakfast was too early (8 till 9.30 am!!). We didn't try.
I really think you can get a better hotel for the price in London. Happy New Year!

Perfect hotel

by TripAdvisor Member trishydish

We'll stay here on every trip! The hotel is in a great location, close to Oxford Square and a tube station. It was SO clean and simply decorated, plenty of room and super comfy duvets. Very quiet too. The staff made the trip for us. They were so nice and helpful. We wanted to stay another night but they were booked. They actually helped us find another hotel. (The Darlington was horrible compared to The Sumner, big disappointment). They also helped us with coach reservations to Canterbury even after we'd checked out. They couldn't have been nicer. They also put an internet booster in the stairwell so that I could get good wireless access in our room. Breakfast was great too and filled us up for a good part of the day, saving us money in this expensive city!
The hotel made our stay!

splendid oasis within the city!

by TripAdvisor Member traveldreamingCA

Joined my daughter and her friend at the end of their 3 month European adventure, which they spent in hostels and "low-budget" properties. Knowing that London starts at expensive and goes to outrageous, I tried to find a nicely located hotel with at least a 3 star rating (the Sumner is 4 star) and didn't break the bank. This place met, and exceeded, our requirements, not to mention our expectations!

We spent 4 nights here after a rather disappointing 3 night stay in a budget property (more like a hostel so we could accommodate an additional friend for the first part of our visit). Our first impression was "WOW!", as the lobby/living room is certainly an oasis in the very hectic, crowded city. The staff was quite gracious and professional even before we arrived, as they corresponded with me and made various reservations, etc. prior to our stay. They certainly didn't disappoint in any of their assistance. Check-in was a breeze.

Our room, large by European standards, was scented of lavendar as we opended the door. The bathroom, though small, was adequate for three women. The beds were remarkably comfortable, as was the living room furniture. The breakfast was delightful, differing slightly every morning, and served with a smile. And free internet helped the girls catch up with friends and email before heading back to the US.

Over all, the Sumner was a splendid way to see London, close to shopping, sightseeing, and dining. I will return and recommend this hotel to all family and friends. Enjoy!

(PS: the hotel reserved a car for our early morning trip to Heathrow and it was $50 for all of us; and they came to our door, loaded the luggage, and dropped us at our gate! What a deal! Will definitely do this again!)

Lovely New Year's Eve in London

by TripAdvisor Member tashy50uk

Booked this hotel on strength of reviews on this site.

Hotel is located just off the Edgware Road and a short walk to Oxford Street, Selfridges, Hyde Park etc.

The hotel is in a fairly quiet street. it is 2 converted town houses combined to form a hotel of 20 rooms so a nice size, not too big.

The decor and furnishings are very modern, clean but welcoming. The lounge downstairs was ideal for a pre New Year's Eve drink -take your own there is no bar!

We went with my wife's sister and husband who are used to the finest hotels around the world and they were very impressed. My sister in law described it as "a country house hotel in the city" which sums it up very well.

We had booked deluxe rooms but i am sure the standard ones would be fine. Room wa slarge with lovely decor. The bed has to be the most comfortable ever in a hotel and after a heavy night it was a real struggle to get up.

Breakfast was OK. Some hot food plus fruit, breads, etc buffet style.

Staff were very helpful and polite.

Overall, highly recommended.

(For New Year's Eve we ate at Rodizio a Brazilian restaurant in Bayswater. Great fun and good value. Try it but get a table downstairs it was just too hot upstairs as this is where they chargrill all the lovely meat.

Comments