24-32 Ebury Street, Belgravia, London, SW1W 0LU, United Kingdom

Orbitz.com Expedia.com AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 44% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Not a "luxury 4 star Hotel

I very rarely write reviews, however, due to how bad our stay was I felt it necessary. Unlike many reviews I will start on the positive, the staff were more than helpful, they did all they could unfortunately they are not empowered to give refunds.

Our room was average and we were woken at 06:00am from noise above, the rooms were small but fine for the single night we were there if we had actually slept! I would not stay here again an am awaiting a response from the management! Surely it is only natural to assume one will sleep at a hotel, not here!!

Unique Quality: None!!

• we must have got lucky!

My husband booked this hotel for an overnight trip to the theatre. It was extremely convenient as we were seeing Wicked at the Apollo Victoria (well worth going to see - it's fab!). After reading the reviews of this hotel we were seriously worried and resigned ourselves to the fact that we may have to cut our losses and stay elsewhere if the accomodation was as bad as reported. However, we were very pleasantly surprised! The reception area is compact but gorgeous and check-in was efficient and hassle-free. We had room number one which is on the ground floor of the main building. It was small but clean and very nicely furnished (as per their website) with a double bed, desk and chair, flat screen tv and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was compact but sufficient for an overnight stay with very nice neutrogena toiletries supplied. We found the receptionists to be very helpful and they assisted us with finding a restaurant on the internet when we had forgotten to bring the details with us. On returning from our evening out they were friendly and asked us if we had enjoyed the show etc. and provided fresh milk without hassle on our request for tea etc. I would definitely stay here again but would ensure that a room in the main building was allocated if the other reviews on here are anything to go by.

Unique Quality: Great location, great price for London, cosy room very comfortably furnished

Directions: less than 10 minute walk from Victoria tube, bus and train stations
    close to Buckingham Palace and theatres for Billy Elliot and Wicked musicals

More about The Tophams Hotel Belgravia

Casual Elegance in Belgravia

by TripAdvisor Member wdwdbutler

The Tophams Hotel on Ebury Street was a complete delight for the eight days of our stay in London. The decor is kitschy elegant, the atmosphere relaxed and subdued, and the rooms cozy and clean. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful around the clock, including servicing a snug, comfortable cocktail lounge at all hours. The Topsham offers a lovely breakfast, and the maid service was fastidious. The location is perfect in London's upscale Belgravia neighborhood, just two blocks walk from Victoria Station. Down the street is the Ebury Wine Bar, actually a lovely French restaurant with magnificent cuisine and a charming atmosphere. We also recommend the Belgravia Coffee Bar down the street for breakfast or lunch. The best pub in the neighborhood is the Plumber's Arms -- quiet and intimate, but at the same time a lot of fun, crammed with professional people of all ages. The owner of the Tophams Hotel, A.J. Farhani, is a gracious and welcoming host. Highly recommended!

Absolutely terrible.

by TripAdvisor Member adamharper

I stayed at Tophams Hotel late last year, not long after it first opened. I was so looking forward to returning this year for the Wimbledon fortnight.

Just walking through the front door my heart sank to see the beautiful designer decor that I loved last year has been obliterated by some cheap Persian rugs.

The Reception staff while friendly, would obviously rather not be there, and I didn't recognise any staff at all from my previous stay (only 8 months previously), not a good sign.

My room was small, but nice. However, the air-conditioning didn't work, the shower tray was dirty and my internet access was broken. The lift was also flakey to say the least.

Later in the evening I was horrified to witness several people arriving later being transferred over to the 'sister hotel' (which is only 3*) and still having to pay the FULL RATE! Unbelievable. They seem to like over booking.

Four star? Not likely.

It's always a shame when a hotel you like changes hands and loses it's magic, but I guess that's life.

So my tip is, it's probably fine to stay here if you arrive before they've filled all the rooms and you don't want air-con or the internet.

Believe me, I am not a complainer, and will put up with most things, but this place is now awful.

Great location, excellent quality, and a safe bet!

by TripAdvisor Member AV8n4life

I picked the Tophams after a good bit of research. I feel the Tophams has gotten quite a lower ranking than it deserves due to some reviews that I believe unfairly excoriated the hotel for some (IMHO) pretty minor things. The hotel couldn't be better located; it's a three-minute walk to Victoria station and the hotel is located along a very safe, clean, quiet street. Yes, the rooms are small but for a 19th century building there's only so much you can do...it was just small enough to be "cozy" but not small enough to be a hassle. Book the hotel with confidence--if you don't expect every hotel to be the Mandarin Oriental but like high-quality rooms with good fixtures at a good price, this hotel won't disappoint you! And the location is unbeatable!

Great location and clean

by TripAdvisor Member avilletraveler

Tophams is located in Belgravia, very close-easy walking distance - to the Victoria Station where you can access the buses, the underground, and trains. It was perfect for us since we flew into Gatwick and could get the Gatwick Express directly to Victoria. It is located on a quiet street and we were never disturbed at night. The double room was small but nicely decorated and clean with almost new fixtures and materials. If your AC doesn't come on, make sure you call the desk-they have to turn it on from their master system. We did not have breakfast there-it was too expensive, but there are many charming restaurants, cafes and pubs close by. Overall a very good experience and we would return.

Horrendous service - lost laundry, Internet down

by TripAdvisor Member ariellek_bj

I stayed for 4 nights in late April 2009. My dry cleaning was lost for 2 days, then found on the floor of the reception, and returned to me unwashed. The cleaning staff failed to do a thorough job in cleaning the room -- the bed would be neatly made, but somehow the coffee cups were not washed and the bathroom sink would be left dirty. The owner also happened to forget to pay for the Internet service, so the wireless network available in the rooms was not accessible for 24 hours.

Gorgoeous Boutique Hotel, perfect location for Victoria Theatre

by TripAdvisor Member FluffyLeeds

This place was just a gorgeous little town house. We didn't eat here, had breakfast at anearby cafe and ate out in the evening, but we stayed for a night while going to see Wicked. The hotel was so close to the hotel, the train station and the coach station, and was really unique in a city full of big samey hotels.

The room was beautiful, stylish and romantic and perfect for our trip.

Recommended.

by TripAdvisor Member Curb_Safe_Charmer

I stayed for two nights on business. I got a bit lost trying to find the hotel from Victoria Station - a map is a good idea for the first visit. On arrival I was greeted by name by the friendly receptionist. There was some confusion over my booking but it was quickly resolved. My room was small but nicely furnished and comfortable. The bathroom again is nicely equipped but as small as it could be and still have room for a bath, loo and basin!
I tried to order room service but got no answer from the kitchen; when I rang reception they said the chef had called in sick. A shame as the menu looked nice. Typical London room service prices. Reception pointed me in the direction of a winebar that has a restaurant section, or I could have eaten in an Italian restaurant across the street.
I had wireless internet access though it seemed a bit tempermental. There was also wired internet at the desk but this didn't work at all.
TV channels were limited but you could borrow a selection of DVDs from reception.
There was a small bar on the ground floor, but I never saw it manned or any customers in it.
Overall a good stay - very convenient for Victoria. I would happily stay there again.

Fantastic location

by TripAdvisor Member GaylePDublin

Stayed her for one night last weekend for a trip to London to see Wicked. Booked it through lastminute.com as a top secret hotel and got a great deal-half the advertised rate on the hotel's website.

The location was perfect for us-literally two minutes to Victoria station, brilliant if you are flying into Gatwick, and only five minutes to the Apollo Victoria Theatre where Wicked is playing. The area is also quite upmarket, quiet and clean. We strolled up to Sloane Square and the Kings Road in about 10 mins or less on the Saturday and walked to Knghtsbridge on the Sunday in about 15 mins, all through lovely well kept streets and squares with parks and beautiful architecture.

The hotel itself is small. We had booked a twin room and but were given a double, which was not ideal for us. When we asked to be moved to a twin we were told that there were none available and were given a complimentary bottle of wine to make up for it. As we were staying for only one night we did not mind too much, but it would have been a problem if we were staying longer. The room was on the fourth floor and was tiny, also very warm as air con did not seem to be working and would not go below 19c, but we just opened the windows. It was however cosy and comfortable and impeccably clean. Decor is also very nice, as it is through the whole hotel.

Staff were friendly and helpful and the use of the internet and printer in reception for free was handy for checking in on line, thus saving us time at the airport.

Overall would recommend hotel if you can get a deal and are only staying a short time.

pretty hotel...but careful what you get

by TripAdvisor Member KatjeBrussels

This hotel is pretty and recently renewed. Breakfast is good and service is average. I would just warn you if you are travelling by yourself that the single rooms are tiny (not just small) and that if you are very unlucky (like my colleague) you will end up in a tiny bedroom with no en suite bathroom. I had booked a double but on arrival I was told that there were none left and asked to go to a single room in exchange for free breakfast. The room was pleasant and the single bed large enough but I could not have stayed there longer than the one night. The shower is so small that only women or rather small men can actually shower in it. In conclusion book if if you can get a good deal...or travel in twos!

• Feb 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

THIS IS NOT 4STAR!!!
    Had booked a single and was given room H1 in building down the road: very tiny, desk was a small triangle shaped plank, too small for chair to fit, no bedside table, no light by bed, curtains didn't close fully, no minibar, no hairdryer, no safe (as advertised on their website). Ensuite was an old caravan-cubicle (triangle size shower plugged into washbasin with old shower curtain, no sanitary bin, floor space too small even for a towel to fit on the floor, no shaver point), trip-up step from bedroom into caravan-cubicle, no aircon, window doesn't open,only 1 pillow, no extra blanket, no fire escape route shown. Wardrobe is cheaper than Ikea with two legs missing and leaning against wall.
    I complained but told I could not have another room until my second night.
    Next night put into room 209 on second floor (no lift): no ensuite, bathroom down corridor and up flight of stairs, No minibar,no iron/ironboad, no safe, no hairdryer, missing lightbulb, missing teaspoon to make instant coffee, only one pillow, no desk, no pen, no writing paper, no tv remote, TV was missing lead and did not work at all. Not at all like photos on their website.
    I complained and was given room 5 on ground floor, apparently the Junior Suite that the "director is prepared to give up for you. He usually uses this room." By now it was 11pm and II was made to feel guilty for wanting a room that was as per their website. This so called Junior Suite (double room) had again no iron/ironboard, no hairdryer (I asked and was repeatedly promised one but I ended up going to my morning meeting with wet hair. I don't think the entire hotel has even one). Only 1 coathanger (for a double room!). This room had a minibar: only cans of coca cola/fanta. No water, no alcoholic drinks! No cup or spoon to make a hot drink (I had to collect it myself from the breakfast room). Noisy, right next to kitchen, was woken at 6am by banging kitchen noise.
    DO NOT GO HERE! Staff are rude & treat you with contempt.