The Trafalgar Hilton

Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Good Base Location for Site-seeing

I'm a frequent Hilton guest and this was my first trip to London. I sent the list of Hilton properties to a friend who travels there frequently for work, and she and her London co-workers selected this location for my site-seeing adventure. (I redeemed Hilton points to stay at this hotel for free).

The location was awesome for site-seeing. I walked through Trafalgar Square multiple times each day, so got to see lots of the 4th plinth "exhibits". - July 2009.

The room was fine. I had a peek-a-boo view, and I was worried that the bed would be uncomfortable because it was kind of lumpy in a futon sort of way, but it was extremely comfortable and I slept like a baby.

The bathroom was attractive, if a little awkward. The spout for the tub was in the side/center of the tub - about exactly where you stand while showering - so I had to be careful not to bang my leg on it. Bathroom toiletries were nice + Robes and Slippers.

TV had very few channels, including 2 in German - one of which was a shopping channel that seemed to specialize in sex paraphernalia in the evenings :) I can't know for sure, as my knowledge of German is limited to what I learned in 3rd grade, and does not include terms for sex paraphernalia.

One thing I was disappointed about in the hotel was that both bars played thumping music way too loud. More like you were in a club than a hotel bar. Probably a good money-maker for the hotel, but definitely not a plus for the guests who may be wishing to have a nice dinner in the bar after a long day of site-seeing. I didn't eat dinner in the hotel once because of this.

While the location was excellent for site-seeing, it wasn't as good for dining alone at night. (This was a solo trip) Most of the restaurants around this area are very tourist-oriented, and I prefer more of a local's-focused eatery.

Unique Quality: One of the best parts of this hotel is the rooftop bar. It provides excellent views (see photos), but the downside is the club-like music. The first night I was up there they had forgotten to turn in on, and it was lovely.

Both bars are popular with non hotel guests (think happy hour with club music - can you tell I was highly irritated by the club music?), and while hotel guests could visit the rooftop bar for free, non-guest had to pay 5 GBP.

Full breakfast is free for all Hilton HHonors members. If you are not a HHonors member, breakfast can be included or not in the price of the room. Breakfast was wonderful. Hot buffet on the weekends, and cold / continental during the week. However, as an HHonors member, you can order off the menu for free, as well!

Directions: Trafalgar Square

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Trendy, Conveniently Located

You know right away this is not your average hotel when you walk in and can't find the front desk- it's just a table with several computers in the corner of the large room which is primarily a sleek bar and lounge. The elevators have glaring, sort of ultra-violet lighting, and the rooms are minimalist in design. The bathrooms are ample and well stocked with toiletries from Temple Spa Aromatherapy Collection. Some rooms have a view of Trafalgar Square but you have to stand up to look out since this building was not built as a hotel and has recently been retro-fitted.

Breakfast is served as a buffet unfortunately in the basement, but has a good variety of pastries, fruits, juices, as well as American pancakes and omelets that can be ordered.

Although this hotel is not in the traditional British style, it is extremely well located for the tourist- within waking distance of most of the major sights.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Trafalgar Hiton

A renovated building, only 2 years ago. New and stylish hotel

Unique Quality: good location, right at the heart of Trafalgar square.

Directions: Trafalgar square

More about The Trafalgar Hilton

Great hotel in a fabulous location

by TripAdvisor Member mommylovestotravel

We spent 3 nights at the Trafalgar Hotel and thought it to be a truly great experience. The rooms are fairly spacious, clean and well-appointed. We booked a room with a view of Trafalgar Square and National Museum that had a wonderful view, which was especially effective at night with the lights and fountains.
Big props to the staff. We were traveling with my sister-in-law and 6-year old niece, the latter getting sick in the middle of the night (unfortunately in the BED!!). The late night staff promptly came up and changed the sheets and were quite helpful.
The breakfast room had lovely meals and a nice selection.

The hotel is within walking distance to some of the most important sites of London, including Buckingham Palace, Westminster, Big Ben, etc. Good restaurants are nearby as well.

While this hotel is quite hip, it is very welcoming and fun (they play great music in the lobby bar!). We were traveling with 2 children (ages 3 and 6) and they were incredibly accomodating and helpful. You never felt out of place, despite the fact I was lugging a stroller and a toddler. We will definitely be back for a future visit whether it is with kids or without.

Great hotel, great service

We stayed at the Hilton Trafalgar in London in June, 2005 using Hilton Honors points. We got free upgrades and the service was wonderful. The front desk clerk Victoria is especially great. I recommend the hotel. It is quiet, there was no noise from the bar or street. (they have double pane windows). The continental breakfast was great and the service and staff are great. In London I would always choose this hotel.

Best Hilton I've Ever Stayed At

by TripAdvisor Member iowahawk3

I do a lot of corporate travel and had piled up enough Hilton points to book a 5 night stay. Came to London over Easter weekend, and according to the staff they were relatively empty because of the holiday. You can only reserve a standard room with points, but I asked if upgrades were available and they said it could be done for 30pounds a night - sold! Staff was sincerely friendly and helpful without being obsequious, they're all young and in their twenties and they all seem to genuinely enjoy working there. Quite a change from the blase' service I'm accustomed to seeing at the large hotel chains. Hotel is very sleek and cool, a lot like the W's. This is not your father's Hilton.

We asked for a higher floor so the bar music couldn't be heard. They originally put us in room 301 which was nice - on the corner overlooking Trafalgar Square. Bathroom was nice size but it was an average size room at best by US standards, not much room to move around the bed. We hadn't even unpacked our bags when the front desk called and said they had a bigger room available down the hall, #317. Much bigger, has a nice big bay window that looks over the Square plus a sofa and large chair and plenty of floor space. I think #316 is probably the same layout, as would floors 2-6. Even though the windows were on a busy street directly above a busy bus stop you couldn't hear ANY noise at all, the windows are double glazed and completely soundproof. Very comfortable and quiet room, king size bed, my wife and I slept like a stone each night.

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel. I'm from Chicago and travel a lot and think my standards are pretty high, and I really liked this hotel. Was out and about constantly so I didn't have a meal or any cocktails at the hotel so I didn't feel the outrage of being gouged, and there's plenty of pubs and bars and restaurants around as alternatives. Besides, you're going to get pummelled drinking or eating at any decent hotel in the city. We would definitely stay here again, the location can't be beat, I love to walk and this is dead center of London. Anyplace of interest is literally within an hour's walk.

Plus I am not a fan of the Tube - I don't find any romance in it's dirt and general decrepitness, and you usually have to walk the equivalent of 4-6 blocks underground to get to your platform so it's not really very quick, especially Charing Cross Station which is enormous. I much prefer taking buses in London, you can't beat the price nor the sightseeing sitting on top. And being right on Trafalgar Square, once you figure out the bus mapping system you step right out your door and can reach any compass point of London in a short time on one bus without transferring. This hotel has a lot of pluses in it's ledger as far as I'm concerned.

Bad Choice

by TripAdvisor Member Maggie57

Over priced, poor service (had to ask 4 times for a roll away bed which had been prebooked weeks ahead), noisy and no residents lounge despite paying exorbitant room only fees.

Only thing the hotel has got going for it is its location.

Hip at the expense of basic convenience

There are some steps to enter, so, if there's no hotel staff at the front door when you first arrive (which occurred to me), you have to lift up your luggage by yourself (unless you first get in with empty hands and catch someone for help.)
Lobby/Reception is too noisy as it's literally a "Club" playing dance music.
There's no suitcase rack even in my Delux Plus room, so it lies down on the floor throughout the stay.
The floor of the separate shower room is only an inch lower than the floor outside. Therefore, INEVITABLLY, as I shower, the hot water overflows the shower room into the space around the toilet seat, which makes me wonder every night throughout my stay, what kind of an architect/engineer designed this structure based on what kind of mathematics.
Like all other equipments in the hotel, the design of the washstand sink is hip; it's rectangular and FLAT. Therefore, whatever you dropped on it, e.g., toothpaste slime, stays there until you wash it away with water, which makes me wonder every morning throughout my stay, why do I have to clean a washstand every day in London?
The location is great, though.

Not your typical Hilton

by TripAdvisor Member Glucan

This is not your father's Hilton. Upon arrival we found out that it was a "lifestyle" hotel. We had no idea what that meant, but it quickly became obvious that this wasn't the kind of Hilton we had come to expect. The lobby was a more like a nightclub or pick up joint, than an upscale 4 star hotel. The lobby was literally packed with people who were in a real party mood. The cigarette smoke was overwhelming in some places. There was a DJ playing music with speakers that must have been 10 feet tall. The music was so loud in the lobby that we couldn't hear the people at the reception desk when we checked in. I had to lean over the desk and shout at the reception staff - and they had to shout their answers back to me. When I told the staff that this wasn't what I expected from Hilton, they just said that the Hilton "lifestyle" hotels were something new and different for Hilton. What an understatement!

Our room was on the fourth floor. The room was nice, the views were adequate, but the walls were paper thin. The music from the lobby radiated up through the walls into our room. The walls in our room literally vibrated from the sound. The people in the other rooms were constantly partying and didn't seem to notice (or care) that some of us were traveling for business and actually needed to sleep at night. Also, the wireless internet was only available in the lobby, which was simply to noisy, smoky and crowded to use.

After one night, we couldn't take it anymore, so we asked to be transferred to another Hilton property. The Assistant Manager was wonderful. She understood our dilemma and helped book us into the Hilton Waldorf. That was much more our style. I guess it's true, my partying days really are long past!

The bottom line is that if you want to party, stay up all night and feel like crap the next day, this is the place for you. However, if you are a business traveler who needs a refuge after a hard day - this ain't the place for you - or me for that matter!

Great Location, Very Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jesselodge

My wife and I spent 6 nights at this Hilton hotel and enjoyed both the city and the Hotel. However, this hotel is a lot different from other Luxury Hilton hotels that my wife and I have stayed at. It is more "hip" in the sense that they do have a mini night club in the lobby area with somewhat loud music playing. The elevators have red and blue light bulbs which is a little odd the first time you check in. We stayed on the 4th room and were pleased with the size of the room. There was plenty of space and had a large bathroom. However, you will need to place a towel in front of your shower door or else all of the water will flow onto the bathroom floor (because of the way the shower is built). The staff was extremely helpful and friendly which we greatly appreciated. Our hotel was within walking distance of Big Ben and the local theatres. I would recommend this hotel to anyone interested in going to London.

Travel From Heathrow to Trafalgar Hilton

by Bill17

Please let me know what is the best way to travel from Heathrow to the Trafalgar Hotel?

by cubsur

Best?

I can tell you the cheapest!

Take the London Underground (Tube) from Heathrow to Charing Cross, costs £4,50 cash fare and takes about an hour. Details at www.tfl.gov.uk

Trafalgar hotel is across the road more or less.

Anything else will cost more, sometimes a great deal more and not necessarily be quicker.

by puerto_lover

If you take the Heathrow Express train into Paddington then get into a taxi you should be at the hotel in under an hour and about £25 lighter.

by TexasDave

It is better to get off at Leicester Sq which is right on the Piccadilly line straight from Heathrow- Charing Cross requires changing trains and isn't much closer, if at all. The only negative about doing the tube is that there isn't much room for luggage, especially if you are traveling during rush hour, and all the stations in the area of Trafalgar Sq have only sets of stairs, no lifts, so again, if you have much luggage it can be a challenge.
For the sake of comparison a cab costs about 65 lbs.

by TexasDave

I forgot to add, I really like the Trafalgar, except for their high-priced drinks.

by hawkhead

If you get off at Leicester Square you will still have to trundle your luggage down to Trafalgar Square. Is very busy. Depends which is the lesser of two evils - stairs or bodies!!

by johnkumar

plz visit www.airportscars.com

by jackogj

if you go online to a website called taxilight you can decide how much you want to pay for a black taxi, i would suggest £40, and if your returning you can go to embankment station and get a taxi share for £12.

Comments