Thistle Euston

#163 of 2,367 hotels in London
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 10 reviews
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 2138 reviews
Compare best prices from top travel partners Travelocity

Value Score

Average Value

Price and Rating Equal to similar hotels

See Popular Hotels

Family Travel Seniors Business Travel
See Amenities
hebaemam's Profile Photo

Great price for such a service

by written on April 6, 2015

Very pleased for the quality given with this budget. Room was clean, breakfast was great except for the lake of greens and finally the station so near. The main complain is there was no fridge in the room.... i end up throwing everything in the morning

Britannia2's Profile Photo

Near Euston

by written on November 23, 2014

I stayed here on the night of 22/11/14 as part of a UK Superbreak package. This is a very good 4 star hotel close to Euston station (so close that as you walk along side the station to the hotel you can hear the train announcements but of course , not in the hotel).
My room was only a small single but was quite adequate for one. The bed was comfortable and the room contained a chair, desk / dressing table , television and lots of storage space. The bathroom was well appointed and overall it seemed very new and very clean.
Downstairs book in was fast - I was even able to book in and go to my room at 09.50 which was a real bonus. The young staff are friendly and efficient and the hotel has a nice feel of quality to it.
The breakfast was well presented and a buffet help your self meal and cooked to perfection.

Unique Quality: The cleanliness was excellent and the staff were friendly and efficient. I was very impressed with the left luggage service where a receipt system is in place and the room has a dedicated staff member looking after the luggage.

Directions: 24 bus to the first stop in Hampstead Road or Euston tube.

DAO's Profile Photo

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 26, 2013

In London I ask for 2 things. A good mattress and a good night’s sleep. These are separate issues I can assure you. I have had comfortable mattresses, but cleaners, automatic door closers and neighbours/traffic from Hell. Just about every Hilton in London springs to mind. Please note, Hell is a very noisy environment 24 hours a day. And full of taxi drivers.

The Thistle at Euston managed to not only give me both magical requirements – they managed the most revered of all extras – a fantastic location. This is only a stone’s throw from Euston Station (they told me to stop throwing the stones), it is also an easy 4-5 minute walk to the joint St. Pancreas/Kings Cross mega-transport hub. They only need to add a heliport and submarine base to have every transport option available to you. Except car parking. Leave that bad boy at home. You can save the planet and some time and even money getting here by train. Now just add in hundreds of fantastic restaurants and dozens of cuisines for all 3 meals a day – and pubs/bars – on your doorstep almost. 99% perfection.

To be fair, the Thistle has done what every large hotel in London has done – chop big rooms in half. Yep, my room was a bit small. What they have not done – like every bad hotel – is put in noisy laminate flooring and cheap mattresses. Also known as discos, you can forget sleep in these chop jobs. The Thistle has put in carpets all over and maintained reasonable furnishing and modern bathrooms of a good size. This is also known as a virtual miracle here in London.

When I arrived I was greeted by friendly and keen young people from several countries. I was checked in, shown the complimentary coffee/pastries in the Lobby and provided with a local map. Nothing was a problem and I was always greeted whenever I walked through the lobby.

My room was a good walk from the lobby, but a quiet one. With the room door closers (automatic) and the carpets, this means doors shut quietly. When I went inside to explore, I realised my giant suitcase was a bit of a struggle, but manageable. I stayed in room 149 and I had a nice desk, lots of electrical outlets, steam iron, ironing board, 2 chairs, TV, phone, air-condoning, lots of closet space (lots) and a modern bathroom with toiletries. I then took the ‘sit on the bed test’. This simple test indicates either 1) Sleep or 2) No Sleep.

This just really made my night and I was ready to shower, change clothes and go for a nice meal.

I did explore around and discovered the hotel had a nice bar and an upscale restaurant. Great stuff. I already had plans for a nearby restaurant, but it did look nice.

The only downside to my room was that you have to put a key card in the slot to keep on the electricity. Just ask for 2 at check-in and everything is great here. They even have a small park on one side of the hotel and at night the road outside is deserted. Just in case, ask ahead of time for one not facing the road. All in all – top marks here!

Unique Quality:

• 362 rooms and 6 function/meeting rooms (up to 90 people)
• BT Wi-Fi (free)
• Air Conditioning in all rooms
• 24 hour Room and Concierge services
• Excellent location
• Restaurant and bar
• Quiet

• No car parking and nearby car parking is expensive

All rooms have:
• Air Conditioning
• Free Wi-Fi
• Coffee and Tea Making Facilities (and cookies)
• Steam Iron & Ironing Board
• Complimentary Toiletries, bath, shower and hairdryer
• Direct Dial Telephone
• Flat Screen LCD TV with Freeview (90+ channels)
• Large closet with room safe
• Work Desk and chair
• Radio

The types of rooms they have available are:
* Standard Single/Double/Twin/Family
* Deluxe Double/Twin/King
* Executive King

The rooms get bigger as you go along and the Executive King adds: Bathrobes, bottles of water, slippers and a sofa bed.

• Brasserie 43 Restaurant - British and European from 06:30-22:30
• Lounge Bar 43 – food and drink from 09:00-01:00
(I have no idea what the 43 is for – it is not their address wither)

• 6 Air-conditioning rooms (largest seats 90)
• LCD projector and screen in each
• Free BT Wi-Fi

200m to the Euston train station and tube station and an easy 10 minute walk to the St Pancras/Kings Cross train and tube stations – including Eurostar

Euston Station – National Rail Northern Victoria Overground
King's Cross St Pancras – National Rail, Eurostar, Circle, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria
Robert St Hampstead Rd
N29 N279 24 88 27 29 134

Worst hotel in London?

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 22, 2011

I booked this hotel for one night for a conference close to Euston. Never have I had such a miserable experience and I am a seasoned traveller!

Check in took a long time. Despite several members of staff being behind the desk only one person was attending to guests.

My room was larger than I expected. I booked a double but it also contained a single bed. It looked clean but once I'd settled in I noticed it was very dusty. The sheets were clean but ripped in places. The room was very cold but they provided an electric heater to solve this. My door was right next to a hallway fire door and every time someone went through that door it would hit my door. I found it hard to get to sleep because of this and when I did I was woken several times by other guests coming through this door.

The sink and bath were both dirty and one of the towels was dirty. The plumbing is ancient - the shower head is fixed and the temperature either scolding hot or freezing cold. The hairdryer did not work. There was a kettle in a drawer that was thoroughly disgusting.

When I booked over the phone I was told I could smoke in my room. When I arrived I was informed the hotel had a complete no smoking policy and I would have to stand outside in the rain to smoke.

They have a car park which costs £20 for 24 hours. It is very small and at the far end of a winding basement storage area full of bins, delivery pallets, laundry baskets, old tyres (why?) and old furniture. It is not the easiest car park to use as it is very narrow and the height restriction is very low - I'm 6'0" and had to stoop while walking back to reception. If you own anything larger than a Fiat 500/Nissan Micra I would park somewhere else! Also, I was told that the car park was secure but the gates were always open.

I paid extra to have breakfast. It wasn't bad though the food could have been of better quality - it tasted like something 3663 produce for school refectories! I was given one cup of coffee - not good enough for breakfast and I needed to ask for more! I also ate in the restaurant. The food was over cooked and hard. Not good considering the price. The staff in the restaurant and bar were very polite and I could not fault them, though there was a flicker of disapproval when I asked for more coffee.

The reception staff and concierge were very unhelpful and quite rude. There was no reason for this attitude and it left a sour taste. It was almost like they couldn't be bothered if you'd already paid. They would laugh at serious questions and offer no solutions. The key to my room wouldn't work and took three trips to reception to get it fixed. Also, make sure you finalize your account before you leave - I have been charged twice for the car park and so far this remains unreturned.

An illness has left me slightly disfigured in the torso but it's not something that bothers me and rarely attracts attention. The reception staff kept staring at this and smirked to one another when they thought I wasn't looking. Shameful behaviour! Customer service is something this chain, and Thistle Euston in particular, need to sort out!

If you need to stay in the Euston area please look at the other hotels nearby - they cannot be worse than this one! It is also expensive compared to other similar hotels I have stayed in.

Unique Quality: Terrible customer service - rudeness and unresolved problems.
The hotel has no other unique qualities.

Directions: To the left of Euston station.

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Nicely located

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 16, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights in 2010. Although the hotel is located next to the railroad tracks of the Euston station, it is not noisy at all. In fact Cardington Street is a peaceful street with some traffic bumps to slow down traffic.

The hotel has 362 bedrooms spread over 4 floor of a renovated building; creating a maze of corridors and some special architecture and rooms.

Breakfast is served as a buffet in the basement restaurant. Can be busy at times; staff is working at high speed.

The lobby has a small shop and cash machine (ATM).

The St. James Gardens is at one side of the hotel. Some homeless people frequent there, but are not causing any trouble.

Unique Quality: Wireless Internet is available through British Telecom (BT) Openzone.
You need to buy 1 hour or 24 hour voucher from the hotel reception to use it (prices at downtown Internet centers are 5 times lower).

Public Transportation is available in multitude.
There always are cabs at the hotel entrance.
The closest bus stop is around the corner at Hampstead Road.
Euston station is at five minutes walking with many bus, underground and train connections).
St. Pancras station is 1 underground stop or 2 bus stops (recommended) away from Euston.

Directions: Take the West exit of the Euson train station (along the police station) and take a right to Cardington Street. The hotel is at 5 minutes walking at the left after the park.

christine.j's Profile Photo

The price for location!

by written on August 26, 2008

I had a very early train to catch out of Euston station and didn't want to travel through London, carrying my bags, in the early morning rush hour, so I decided to stay close to the station. My travel agent had a good deal for the Thistle Euston, but it was still the most expensive hotel I had ever stayed in.

But, as I'm happy to say, it was also one of the best, so at least I got good value for my money.The travel agency had upgraded me and when I checked in I was asked if I wanted to upgrade even more. Of course not, I was only there for one night.

I was able to check in early, several hours before the official check-in time, which is always nice. A really large room,the largest hotelroom I have ever seen in London, a very large bathroom, extras like bathroom slippers and a bathrobe, things I really didn't need .

A full English breakfast was included in the price, but as I had to leave before breakfast was served, I got a breakfast box.

Ticking the appropriate price box on the VT pages is difficult, as the prices are given in US $ and so much depends on the exchange rate. I paid 125 Euro for this room, a double for single use.

Unique Quality: Two minutes to the train station, I had treated myself to this comfort.

Directions: Next to Euston station,use the side entrance and it's even closer.

Tdiver's Profile Photo

Handy for the trains.

by written on January 27, 2007

Stayed New Years Eve and was expecting noise either from trains or other guests and was happy to say there was hardly any.Handy for Euston main line trains and the tube.Plenty of buses around also.

Directions: If your looking at the front of Euston station then walk around the left hand side.Keep walking up the street 200m and it's next to the park on your left.

Emmjai's Profile Photo

Cheap and clean

by written on June 7, 2003

Convienently placed close to Euston Station, my worries that the trains would keep us awake were unfounded.

One of the best things about this hotel (apart from the value) was the friendly staff. You didn't feel like a 'tourist' but a 'guest'.

tvor's Profile Photo

Euston Tourist and business class hotel

by written on March 14, 2003

The first time i stayed here in 1996, it was called the Kennedy. It's just a couple of short blocks down Cardington St. from Euston Station. (tip, exit the station out of a side door by Left Luggage) Decent hotel, all en suite, if the room comes with breakfast, it's cold, delivered to your room. Stayed there again in 2000 because we got an ok deal calling the hotel directly. Stayed there in 2003 (April) because i got a fantastic deal off for £35 for a single with en suite. No breakfast included but there's a cafe around the corner on Euston road.

Prices vary widely depending on specials. 35 pounds is unusually cheap (Easter Weekend may have had something to do with it). I've never seen any deals that cheap again. Prices average about 85 - 100 pounds.

For accessibility, although there are elevators/lifts, be aware that some of the hallways have short staircases along them. Check to see if your room is past the steps if you have mobility issues or a very large suitcase.

Unique Quality: Nothing really unique. It's a tourist and business class hotel. The nice thing about it is that it's so close to Euston Station, Euston underground and Warren Street underground around the corner so you have your pick of a few handy tube lines. Lots of busses from Euston Station and Euston road. About 20 minutes walk to the British Museum or up into Camden and Regent Park is only a couple of blocks west.

Directions: Euston rail station, two blocks north down the road on the station's left as you are looking at it. It's across the street.

coast2coast's Profile Photo

Accommodation in London is...

by written on August 25, 2002

Accommodation in London is expensive to very expensive. You are better getting a package vacation or staying in a Youth hostel. (plenty of choice) Bed and Breakfasts offer a reasonable alternative , but can sometimes be a little out of the way ( 20 mins or more by public transport )

Hotel Ibis offer decent standards of comfort and amenities at reasonable prices

Unique Quality: Nice rooms, convenient locations

Directions: Area around Earl's court is popular with tourists , safe and not too expensive.

Nearby Thistle Euston

• Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Westminster Abbey
Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Trafalgar Square
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Driving in London
Train / Bus Stations
Department stores
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Brick Lane
Public Transport (not taxis)
Portobello Market / Notting Hill