104 Bayswater Rd, London, W2 3HL, United Kingdom

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Something Cosy About It

This tip was written in 2009 but we are here again in 2011.

We usually have quite a nice room on the 3rd floor and we always ask for a 'Park View'...yes the hotel is right across the road from the park. Oh the corner rooms are a little more spacious. And they have a towel heater...ask how to turn it on so you can dry your clothes...and there is a bath.

The bed and pillows are a little firm.

Of course the rooms get smaller and more expensive as one gets closer to London.

You can walk across the park to Harrods or up the road to Oxford Street...or you can walk in the park or run or hop or see the horses! on parade

It is a short walk to Bayswater.. near two tube stations ...and buses outside the door almost.

See my tip on' things to do 'and you will find heaps on Bayswater

Unique Quality: Now the lounge and dining room area is to me very cosy. I think my favourite barman will be retired next time we stay there and I will miss him.(2009)Reasonable food is available in the bar and very nice breakfast and dinner in the restaurant.

The dining area has been refurbished ...very nice.(2011) The dining room menu and the lounge menu is now the same. There is a nice relaxed 'flow on' feel about this area.

They have a good luggage storage area and have allowed me to leave an extra bag there...no problem.

Now the hotel is situated above a service station and the concierge area is not flash and you do have to go to first floor for reception and this might be a problem for some but we go back again and again. Now the lifts are improved (2011) and you can only access the residential floors with a key card.

There is not usually anyone at the door late at night but the office is manned.
    There is an internet cafe down the road ...the one in hotel is the euro/pound/voucher gobbler type. Vouchers are available for a wi fi connection in the room but it is not free.

Directions: Bayswater/Lancaster Gate area. There is a service station on Bayswater Road on the corner and you just go around the corner for the entry to the Hotel.

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Good Value for Money

I stayed at Thistle Hotel Kensington Gardens in December 2005 for the New Years holidays; I was there for 5 nights from 29/12/05 - 02/01/06. The double-room I got was rather small but nice and clean. I didn't mind the smallness because I spent majority of my time outside the hotel. The bed was comfortable, the TV has satellite programs, the small fridge was cold enough for my drinks, and there were sufficient glasses and cutleries by the mini-bar. The glasses came handy when I buy drinks from supermarkets.

Unique Quality: The hotel is close to the Baywaters area, which has excellent chinese restaurant. It is also very conveniently close to the public transport such as buses and underground trains.

Directions: Near to the Baywaters Underground station.

• feline01's Profile Photo

Kensington Gardens Hotel

I paid 55 pounds for the week for a share years ago, don't know how much it is now.

Unique Quality: Rents by the week and includes breakfast. More comfortable than a hostel and a interesting neighborhood-close to bus/tube, shops, nightlife and restaurants.

Directions: 84 Kensington Gardens
    Bayswater W2

Nearest tube station: Bayswater or Lancaster Gate

More about Thistle Kensington Gardens

Great place

Thistle Kensington Gardens, 104 Bayswater Road, London Booked through: LondonTown. Cost: 42 pounds/night (US$81.81)including breakfastLocation Just north of Kensington Gardens. Two blocks from the Queensway Tube. About 60 meters from a bus stop. Airbus A2 stops there.Facilities Quite good. Extremely clean. Bed slightly lumpy. Heated towel rack perfect for drying clothes. Large and deep bathtub. Temperature control actually switches between heat and air-conditioning. I used the safe at Reception.Food Excellent full English breakfast. Buffet has several kinds of meats, eggs, juice, rolls, fruit, etc. Coffee and toast brought to your table.Nearby On Queensway is everything one needs, multi-ethnic restaurants, fast food, supermarket, shopping mall, hardware stores, and internet cafe. At the corner of Queensway and Bishop Bridge Road is Brookford Laundrymat, as given in Rick Steves's book. Wash 3 pounds, 1 -2 pounds to dry.View: http://www.pbase.com/image/27777989

Solid choice for vacationers

I just spent two weeks at the Thistle Kensington Gardens (one week in an Executive Twin and one in a Standard Double). Overall, I was pleased with my decision to stay here and would recommend the hotel to other travelers from the States.

POSITIVES: In-room details like a refrigerator, safe, kettle, trouser press, high-speed internet access, heated towel rack, strong showers with plenty of hot water, satellite tv and pay-per-view movies. Hot breakfast and 24-hour room service. Two Tube stations within a 5 minute walk, and always a taxi when you need it. VERY helpful staff all the way round.

NOT-SO-POSITIVES: Not the world's best beds (but not as awful as other reviewers have mentioned). Some street noise for the "park-view rooms" that face Bayswater Road. That's it!!

Don't let the ground-floor Shell gas station put you off -- the 24-hour convenience store was tremendously convenient and seemed to be used by everyone staying at the hotel.

Helpful staff great location

I stayed in a single room on the 8th floor. No problems in getting a non-smoking one. Though arriving early I was able to check in immediately. Staff (reception desk/cleaning/breakfast) helpful and service minded. Felt like a safe place for single female traveller. The only thing objected was the bed - being a bit on the uncomfortable side (lumpy)

Decent by London standards

We were hoping for more from this hotel, but it wasn't a bad choice that we regret. We've had a dreadful experience in the past at the Regent Palace, which makes this place feel like Buckingham Palace. The room was clean and acceptable. We had no problems with linens not getting changed as another review mentions. However, the bed was poor quality. I think that mattress has been pushed about a decade beyond it's intended lifetime. The full english breakfast was good, but 3 pounds extra. The location is excellent, close to Hyde Park, subway, Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Palace. Overall, we enjoyed it.

Not Worth It

by TripAdvisor Member faithk

This hotel is badly in need of improvements. The beds were old and soft. The bedspreads were dirty with obvious stains, one of which looked like blood. The wallpaper was peeling and the carpeting had seen better days. The hotel boasted of a heated towel rack, but it didn't work. We had a room facing Bayswater Road on the 8th floor and the traffic noise was horrendous, even though the room had double paned windows. Luckily, we only stayed two of our five nights in London at this hotel because of a special rate we received from British Airways web site. We only paid $50/night and that's about all it was worth. I would not pay more than that to stay here and would recommend that, if you do, you bring your own sheets.

Loved my stay there 2001

I thought the hotel was clean. Staff went out of their way to make our stay there comfortable and to provide any thing needed. We were centrally located, had a beautiful view of the gardens, close to a tube...and on the weekend had a beautiful art display on the walks in front of the park. The park was easily access and beautiful. George the barkeep and Tony the consierge were great. I would love to go back and stay again.

good location

We recently spent 5 nights, April 16-21, at the Kensington Gardens. The 5th floor rooms was quite small but clean and tidy, with a view out into the neighborhood at the back of the hotel. The room was quiet and was adequate for our needs. Being close to the underground was great, with Kensington Gardens just across the street. We found an excellent Greek restaurant and a good Chinese restaurant close by with many others to choose from. The huge hotel breakfast was very good and the staff friendly. Being able to ask the cook to make me fresh kippers for breakfast was a treat. For only 67 pounds, the hotel offered a fine starting point for our London adventures.

ROYAL LANCASTER or THISTLE KENSINGTON GARDENS??

by jeckbee

We are a family with kids coming to London. Could someone, either recent customers or londoners, advise me on my choice of hotel. I want to find out which is better in terms of facilities, service, rating, and other things between Royal Lancaster Hotel or Thistle Kensington Garden. We'll be staying at either of the hotel, so I need to make a good decision within this week. Anyone please?

Other better 4-star hotel suggestions would also be great!

Thanks in advance.

Re: ROYAL LANCASTER or THISTLE KENSINGTON GARDENS??

by mark.linklater

Not stayed at either hotel but can reccomend Flemings Mayfair Hotel (4star deluxe) great location in traditional English Hotel.

www.flemings-mayfair.co.uk