Thistle Lancaster Gate

75 Lancaster Gate, London, W2 3NN, United Kingdom

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Great Value for Money Hotel

I stayed in Thistle Lancaster Gate Hotel from 27/12/2004 until 02/01/2005 in a double-room located on the highest floor. I found the room to be very nice and clean. The bed has firm mattress, clean sheets, covers and pillows. The only complaint I have about the room was that the heater was not working properly - so my bed was rather chilly. Even though the hotel staff came and fixed it, the heater was still not working. So I had to bundle-up a lot (complete with warm socks and double blankets!) during the nights to keep warm and toasty.

However, recently, I found out that Thistle Lancaster Gate is no longer operating as a hotel. As an alternative, you can book Hotel Thistle Kensington Gardens or Hotel Thistle Hyde Park, also located on Bayswater Road only a few metres away from Thistle Lancaster Gate, overlooking Kensington Palace Gardens and Hyde Park.

Unique Quality: My room had a large double bed, chairs and built-in side tables, closet/cabinet, satellite TV, mini-bar and fridge, coffee & tea self-service, safe, ironing board, and shirt press. The bathroom was small but OK, and lots of towels. Their buffet english breakfast was served in their cafe restaurant; they have a good selection of food, breads and beverages.

The Hotel was conveniently located close to the public buses and the underground tubes, Lancaster Gate and Baywaters. The West End with its theatres and shops is only a short taxi or tube ride away and the hotel was within walking distance of the trendy Bayswater area.

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Great location

We were pleasantly surprised by the standard of our room - we were expecting a dive for 260 pounds a night, we had be warned not to expect the same standard as at home, but this place was great!

Unique Quality: The location was perfection - a stroll to the tube, 2 streets of eating places, laundromats and delis to chose from in both directions, across the road from Hyde Park. We walked to Kensington High Street one day. Breakfasts were more than ample, service quite helpfull. Really great.

• Tallchick80's Profile Photo

Great Location

When I arrived at the Thistle Lancaster, the staff were very personable and friendly. I discovered they did not accept my type of credit card, but they allowed me to have "hotel credit" and worry about paying at the end of my stay.
    The staff were fabulous! They assisted me as much as they could, and were happy to do so. They even made it a point to learn my name. The concierge was wonderful and friendly.
    The room I stayed in was aged, and could've used an update, but it was still comfortable and nice in presentation.
    Room service was exceptional. They were always very fast, and the food was delicious (the french fries were the BEST)
    They were very on top of things at this hotel and made sure I enjoyed my stay.

I do recommend this hotel, and I found that if you are nice to the staff, they are more than willing to accomodate you and serve you as best they can.

Unique Quality: This hotel is located on Bayswater Rd. right across the street from Hyde Park. If you manage to get a room with a park view, on a clear night you can see the London sky-line. The closest tube station is Queensway, the walk to and from there wasn't as painful and boring as the walk to the Lancaster Gate tube station. Also, at the queensway station, there are shops, so you can get groceries and souvenirs when returning to the hotel.
    This hotel is located on the central line tube, which will take you to most of the major sights without ever having to change your train.
    Also, the hotel is really close to the famous Notting Hill neighborhood, which is quite nice.

Directions: Bayswater, Hyde Park, West London

• Elena_007's Profile Photo

A Surprise at Thistle Lancaster Gate

Overall, the hotel is pleasant. The surprise in store for an unsuspecting guest is that there is NO PARKING! That was understandable in London because of limited amounts of parking space available. We were instructed to park nearly a block away, at a different hotel, which wouldn't have been so horrible, if it didn't cost an extra 20 (nearly 40 US dollars) for only 24 hours! We only stayed the one night in London.

The staff were courteous, and the rooms were comfortable, but some of the wallpaper was coming apart at the seams, and the hot and cold taps in the bathroom sink were put on wrong, as the blue was hot and the red was cold. Our view was horrible, as it was only of the rooftop, and a cup someone decided to throw out the window. (Some of the rooms did have a lovely view of the garden.) It was air-conditioned, clean, and did not have an unpleasant odor, which was most important to me.

After writing an e-mail to the hotel management, I was pleased to find out that they had corrected the afore mentioned, and offered us another room at half price the next time, which I thought was admirable. Personally, I do not think it is worth the regular rate although it is listed as a 4 star hotel.

Unique Quality: The garden was lovely. There was a group of Scottish men dressed in their kilts, and playing bagpipe music for entertainment that evening, which was nice, but we missed most of it. We took our drinks outside to relax in the garden, and unwind after a long day of walking around Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens (Which were nearly across the street from the hotel), and of course miles and miles of London.

THE BEST part of the experience at the hotel was the next morning, at the unlimited buffet Full English breakfast. There were the traditional eggs,(fried & scrambled) sausage, bacon rashers, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms, fried bread, toast, jam, cereal, fruit, pastries, and of course, Heinz baked beans.

(Well, I think they were Heinz, as they seem to be the rave in England. Personally, I didn't care for them as they were only pork and beans where I come from, until made into 'baked beans' by adding other ingredients.)

There was fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, tea, and even black pudding! (It's not what you think. If you are English, then of course you know already.) I am not sure of all the ingredients that go into black pudding, but I can remember only that it is made with pig's blood! (YUCH!) No thank you.

They allow non-guests to purchase this extravaganza of English food delights for a reasonable amount of money. (around 4GBP) I will visit again just for breakfast if in the area. It was very popular with the locals, and worth every pence!

Directions: Nearest tube: Lancaster Gate
    Within a few minutes walk from Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens.

Comments