Bryanston Street, Marble Arch, London, W1H 7EH, United Kingdom

Orbitz.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Costs 59% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Great location

The location close to Oxford Street and Hyde Park is convenient for shopping and sightseeing. Hotel accomodations are excellent. Requested a room on the inside to avoid street traffic noise. Downside is no views of the city, but quietness is important to me. Courteous staff, clean room, excellent English breakfast. Selfridge, a large department store is a block away.

Unique Quality: Good value convenient location.

• stretchi1269's Profile Photo

Great place to stay.

The hotel was extremely nice. The beds are comfortable, the staff is very friendly. I was a little confused by the fact that you could tell my room had a minibar at one time, but had since been removed. Room service is excellent, although the menu said if you spent so much money you wouldn't be charged the delivery fee and I was.
    I did love the fact that I was within walking distance of most tourist attractions or a Tube station.
    The concierge told me the wrong train station to go to when I was going to catch my ferry and I ended up paying double for a taxi and missing my ferry.

Directions: Very close to Marble Arch.

• seansf's Profile Photo

Good location hotel

Very large hotel in a good location near Marble Arch. Hotel seemed to be popular with tour groups. Staff was adequate but not overly helpful or friendly. Room was a good size but nothing special. Very basic furnishings. Restaurant was very large always very crowded for breakfast. This hotel is ok but nothing special.

Unique Quality: Good location and not too expensive for London

Directions: Marble Arch area

• Alice88's Profile Photo

Hotel in great location in London

Great hotel in a good location. It is close to the Marble Arch Tube Station, in a nice shopping area which also has a lot of restaurants - nice ones and fast food chains like we find in America. The staff were very helpful in getting our room ready for 11 am check-in since we arrived at the hotel at 9 and the people hadn't checked out yet. The concierge is wonderful and so helpful in getting you to your tour bus/group and giving directions to local pubs or restaurants and advice on exchanging money. There is a nice pub just a block or so away - The Three Tons, which was quaint and cute and had delicious food. The rooms in the hotel are small, but nice and clean and come with a safe which was a good spot to keep the passports and extra money. There is also internet hookup, at extra cost. We slept like babies there and really had no problems whatsoever. The continental breakfast got a little boring after a few days of the same thing, but one free meal is nice to have!

Unique Quality: There are three restaurants in this hotel and our room was nice and quiet since it faced away from the busy street. The staff there is wonderful and very helpful.

Directions: Take a left out of the Marble Arch Tube Station and go about 2 blocks, then turn the corner onto Bryanston Street and the hotel is just another block away.

• YPie's Profile Photo

Hit and miss

It all started so well. At reception I was told I had a "very nice room", a deluxe room in fact. As I'd got a super cheap deal in the first place I was more than happy with this. It was only later that I realised instead of my double, no smoking room I'd got a twin smoking deluxe room, but none of the other features of the upgrade. So although the room was huge, and had a sofa and a MASSIVE bathroom, apart from that I really just got a bathrobe and a steam shower (where the steam bit didn't work). There was also a stereo, although it had seen better days.

I was just a bit spoiled after the previous night in the Grange City I think. The whole hotel was a lot more impersonal. Queues for the lift, queues at check in/check out (with different queues for different groups of people). Lots of people from the cruise ship market.

The website I booked through said that the hotel had a gym. This may be true, but I didn't see any sign of it. To be fair, there seemed to be a lack of signs in the hotel, and I had very little info in my room about the facilities, so I may have just missed it. It's a good job I did so much walking I didn't need to work out anyway!

The location is busy, right on Oxford Street at Marble Arch. The entrance is round the back of the hotel, and a lot of the rooms look onto an inner space rather than out onto the main road.

There is an NCP car park next door, you get a discount if you're staying in the hotel, but I would imagine it's still fairly pricey.

Reception is on the first floor. There is an escalator up from ground level, but it only goes up so you have to take the stairs down. So try not to take too much luggage unless you can persuade the porter to do it!

Unique Quality: The location's good, and it can be cheap for a 4* hotel in London, if you get a good deal. I paid £55, but the price subsequently the price went up and it was more expensive than other, better, hotels so shop around.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

A Rollicking Place

The Marble Arch is not an intimate little mom & pop hotel. With 692 rooms, it is a big, bustling place with people coming and going from all over the world. The lobby, a glitsy Art Deco affair, is always teeming. Nevertheless, the service was good and the rooms were quite spacious. The linens and blankets were not luxurious - we are not great fans of scratchy wool - but everything was perfectly clean.

Unique Quality: The location is excellent, across the street from Hyde Park, where all the double decker bus tours start. The underground is two steps away (the station is Marble Arch & Bond Street).

The hotel is right on the corner of Oxford Street where all the famous shops and department stores are located. We were there in January when the winter sales were on and the stores were packed with bargain hunters (I didn't think it was so cheap, but everyone else did - they were practically mauling one another to get at the merchandise).

The buffet breakfast was very rich and varied -more like dinner than breakfast, with all the sausages, potatoes, baked beans and other odd things eaten in England in the morning, but there was also plenty for vegetarians like us to choose from.

The hotel has a convenient room for storing your luggage so you can go out for some last minute shopping while waiting for your taxi to the airport.

• svillegirl's Profile Photo

Loved this location!

While the Thistle Marble Arch bills themselves as a 4 star hotel they are a more solid 3 +. My room was lovely, large with a fantastic marble bathroom! I really liked the location and the staff were friendly and fairly efficient. We did find the room service to be a bit average. Many pilots and flight crew seem to stay here.

Oh, one nice thing to note....when the bars close down at 12:30am we were able to go back to our hotel and close them down some time after that. Then....they were kind enough to let us hang out in the lobby with our new friends from Wales until 5:00am. (room service could still be ordered in the lobby)

Unique Quality: I know this may sound silly. But I really liked the crown moulding. Most American hotels (new) are lacking this type of detail. It's the small things that can turn an ordinary room into something a little nicer.

Directions: The Thistle Marble Arch
    Bryanston St.
    Marble Arch
    London W1H 7EH
    0870 333 9116

More about Thistle Marble Arch

Nice hotel, great location

We stayed at the Thistle Marble Arch from Dec 10-17, 2004, and had a completely enjoyable, uneventful stay. We arrived around 9:00a, planning just to check our bags, deferring check-in until the stated 3:00p time, but the staff checked us in immediately, which was very welcome and appreciated after a trans-atlantic red-eye flight.

Our room was very modern, clean, and relatively spacious. We were in a standard room - billed as a "double double" but in reality two single beds placed very close together. This posed no real issue, and upgrades are available for those desiring a king- or queen-size bed. Our seventh floor room was very quiet - the windows faced what was a essentially an air shaft, but again this was no problem for me. Given that this hotel is directly off Oxford St (one of the busiest retail areas in London), the evening quiet was very welcome. Given that we were on the penultimate floor, the room did become a bit warm around 2a, as the heat from the lower floors rose, but this was easy to address, and not a real problem in December. The Thistle Marble Arch is air-conditioned, but I can see this being more of an issue in warmer months. The hotel itself (lobby, hallways) is very much in the art-deco style, but the rooms have been updated and are a bit more modern. The lifts were a bit slow, but were always functioning.

The staff was very friendly and accomodating, and the continental breakfast included with our room was fine, if uninteresting. There is a good coffee shop in the lobby. We ate in the "Glenn Miller" room one evening, but there is better, less expensive pub food very nearby (ask the staff to recommend a nearby pub).

As I mentioned, the hotel is directly off Oxford St., and the Marble Arch tube stop is literally just around the corner. We found that most of the places we wanted to visit were no more than 1-2 transfers away.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean, comfortable location in Central London. I would definitely return.

Bed bugs and horrific housekeeping

The only advantage of the Thistle Marble Arch is its' location, being a stone's throwaway from Oxford and easy connections to the tube and bus networks.

We relocated to the Thistle due to having some major house work done, we found a reasonable rate through a last minute deal on a website and really the deciding factor was the price and loaction.

On our first night, we found our bed throw and sheets to be less than clean. It was quite late in the evening so no-one was answering the phone in housekeeping. Instead I was forced to make a trip to the reception and had to wait 10 minutes before even being served, since 2 members of staff were serving just one customer. There appeared to be plenty of staff in the office behind reception but no-one offered me any assistance.

Admittedly, the problem was addressed fairly quickly, but I felt disgruntled that a customer needed to point out the dirty bed linen before it was changed! The bathroom sink had some soap scum and the bathroom floor was hairy when we arrived. Furthermore I was bitten by bed bugs on my first night which was even more distressing.

Also, when I returned to the hotel after work every evening, I found that there was still hair on the bathroom floor that didn't belong to me and the soap scum was still there. I despaired at the thought of how long I would have to queue in reception every day to tell them of my plight so decided to put up with it.

But the above experience has really put me off staying at the Thistle Marble Arch again and I decided to shorten my stay by 2 days to escape the filth.

Heating in the room was also a problem, the air-con/central heating system was confusing to use and I spent my time either roasting or freezing.

Not recommended at all.

Great but don't touch the phone!!

I stayed there with my sister for 6 nights in Sept. (2nd - 9th) of this year. The hotel itself was great. The location was great, the room that we got was pretty good. It was a lot more roomy than what I expected and was very clean. The air conditioning was a blessing. The staff was nice and helpful. I would rate this hotel as being excellent for the price however, I would not advise picking up any phones in the hotel. The last night we stayed there my sister got her credit card eaten by the bank machine. She need to call her Bank which is a Citibank and there are branches all over Europe. We tried several times calling from our room the free number to connect to a bank representative in the United States to put a block on her card and never got through. We didn't not know that we where charged a 1.50 pound each time we tried connecting. That cost came out to being $20.00 US dollar for a free phone number we never got through to. This gets better (Not!) In the end we went down to the reception desk for help. They said our phone was not connected to the outside line because our room was prepaid for and I did not want to leave a credit card with them. So, they charged me anyway for the phone that was never connected but the ultimate insult was that we finally had to leave our credit card at the desk, they connect our phone but the hotel operator did not connect us to the 800 number for the US Citibank but connected us to the European Citibank representative which was not a free number. My sister had no choice but to talk with the representative for about 6 minutes and the bill came out to be a wopping $36.00 US dollars. I almost had a heartattack. So our phone bill came out to be over $50.00 for crap. So my advise is: stay there, it's a great location, it has air conditioning and clean rooms but do not and I mean do not, touch the phone unless you have money to burn!!!!

Thistle HotelThistle Hotel

Thistle Marble Arch Hotel London

by suzif

I'm tentatively booked for a week's stay here as part of an American Airlines vacation. I know its a huge hotel, but what I'm wondering is has anyone stayed there recently--its supposedly recently been renovated. How are the standard rooms? Are they at the least clean and with decent beds, towels, etc.? Are there ice machines in the hall ? Any other comments positive or negative?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks

Re: Thistle Marble Arch Hotel London

by BuickMackane

Is there more than one "Thistle" in London? I know my cousin just spent 8 days in London at a place with "Thistle" in the name and she was quite satisfied.

Re: Thistle Marble Arch Hotel London

by Beausoleil

Thistle is a chain. We stayed at Thistle Kensington Palace last June and it was very nice. The rooms were nice and clean and the staff was helpful and friendly.

As with all chains, some will be better than others, but I suspect your hotel would be fine.

I would highly recommend the Thistle Kensington Palace. Their breakfast buffet is excellent; their location is perfect with a bus stop across the street and fairly near Tube station. You look out on Kensington Park and can walk over to the Kensington Palace (Princess Diana's Palace) and even have tea there fairly inexpensively.

We walked easily to Buckingham Palace and that area. Public transportation in London is very good.

Obviously, Marble Arch would be a different location, but it is the same chain of hotels.

Re: Re: Thistle Marble Arch Hotel London

by asvetlana

Actually, Thistle Marble Arch is just a couple of blocks away from Thistle Kensington Palace. It's on the same street (Bayswater Road, if I'm not mistaken), right across from Kensington Gardens, just a bit closer to Marble Arch.
I've stayed there twice (though last time about 1.5 years ago). Then it was not, as you say, recently renovated, but rooms were fairly clean and comfortable, water and ice dispensers in the halls, friendly staff, etc.
All in all, I find Thistle hotels very good value for money. And, of course, your location is superb - my favourite in London.

Re: Re: Thistle Marble Arch Hotel London

by planxty

I haven't stayed there as I live in London, but Thistle Hotels generally get a good reputation, you should have no problem.

Comments