Thistle Marble Arch

Luxury Travel Historical Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities

Great location

by written on May 30, 2010

The location close to Oxford Street and Hyde Park is convenient for shopping and sightseeing. Hotel accomodations are excellent. Requested a room on the inside to avoid street traffic noise. Downside is no views of the city, but quietness is important to me. Courteous staff, clean room, excellent English breakfast. Selfridge, a large department store is a block away.

Unique Quality: Good value convenient location.

stretchi1269's Profile Photo

Great place to stay.

by written on May 17, 2007

The hotel was extremely nice. The beds are comfortable, the staff is very friendly. I was a little confused by the fact that you could tell my room had a minibar at one time, but had since been removed. Room service is excellent, although the menu said if you spent so much money you wouldn't be charged the delivery fee and I was.
I did love the fact that I was within walking distance of most tourist attractions or a Tube station.
The concierge told me the wrong train station to go to when I was going to catch my ferry and I ended up paying double for a taxi and missing my ferry.

Directions: Very close to Marble Arch.

seansf's Profile Photo

Good location hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 26, 2004

Very large hotel in a good location near Marble Arch. Hotel seemed to be popular with tour groups. Staff was adequate but not overly helpful or friendly. Room was a good size but nothing special. Very basic furnishings. Restaurant was very large always very crowded for breakfast. This hotel is ok but nothing special.

Unique Quality: Good location and not too expensive for London

Directions: Marble Arch area

Alice88's Profile Photo

Hotel in great location in London

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 1, 2004

Great hotel in a good location. It is close to the Marble Arch Tube Station, in a nice shopping area which also has a lot of restaurants - nice ones and fast food chains like we find in America. The staff were very helpful in getting our room ready for 11 am check-in since we arrived at the hotel at 9 and the people hadn't checked out yet. The concierge is wonderful and so helpful in getting you to your tour bus/group and giving directions to local pubs or restaurants and advice on exchanging money. There is a nice pub just a block or so away - The Three Tons, which was quaint and cute and had delicious food. The rooms in the hotel are small, but nice and clean and come with a safe which was a good spot to keep the passports and extra money. There is also internet hookup, at extra cost. We slept like babies there and really had no problems whatsoever. The continental breakfast got a little boring after a few days of the same thing, but one free meal is nice to have!

Unique Quality: There are three restaurants in this hotel and our room was nice and quiet since it faced away from the busy street. The staff there is wonderful and very helpful.

Directions: Take a left out of the Marble Arch Tube Station and go about 2 blocks, then turn the corner onto Bryanston Street and the hotel is just another block away.

YPie's Profile Photo

Hit and miss

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 14, 2004

It all started so well. At reception I was told I had a "very nice room", a deluxe room in fact. As I'd got a super cheap deal in the first place I was more than happy with this. It was only later that I realised instead of my double, no smoking room I'd got a twin smoking deluxe room, but none of the other features of the upgrade. So although the room was huge, and had a sofa and a MASSIVE bathroom, apart from that I really just got a bathrobe and a steam shower (where the steam bit didn't work). There was also a stereo, although it had seen better days.

I was just a bit spoiled after the previous night in the Grange City I think. The whole hotel was a lot more impersonal. Queues for the lift, queues at check in/check out (with different queues for different groups of people). Lots of people from the cruise ship market.

The website I booked through said that the hotel had a gym. This may be true, but I didn't see any sign of it. To be fair, there seemed to be a lack of signs in the hotel, and I had very little info in my room about the facilities, so I may have just missed it. It's a good job I did so much walking I didn't need to work out anyway!

The location is busy, right on Oxford Street at Marble Arch. The entrance is round the back of the hotel, and a lot of the rooms look onto an inner space rather than out onto the main road.

There is an NCP car park next door, you get a discount if you're staying in the hotel, but I would imagine it's still fairly pricey.

Reception is on the first floor. There is an escalator up from ground level, but it only goes up so you have to take the stairs down. So try not to take too much luggage unless you can persuade the porter to do it!

Unique Quality: The location's good, and it can be cheap for a 4* hotel in London, if you get a good deal. I paid £55, but the price subsequently the price went up and it was more expensive than other, better, hotels so shop around.

gilabrand's Profile Photo

A Rollicking Place

by written on May 30, 2004

The Marble Arch is not an intimate little mom & pop hotel. With 692 rooms, it is a big, bustling place with people coming and going from all over the world. The lobby, a glitsy Art Deco affair, is always teeming. Nevertheless, the service was good and the rooms were quite spacious. The linens and blankets were not luxurious - we are not great fans of scratchy wool - but everything was perfectly clean.

Unique Quality: The location is excellent, across the street from Hyde Park, where all the double decker bus tours start. The underground is two steps away (the station is Marble Arch & Bond Street).

The hotel is right on the corner of Oxford Street where all the famous shops and department stores are located. We were there in January when the winter sales were on and the stores were packed with bargain hunters (I didn't think it was so cheap, but everyone else did - they were practically mauling one another to get at the merchandise).

The buffet breakfast was very rich and varied -more like dinner than breakfast, with all the sausages, potatoes, baked beans and other odd things eaten in England in the morning, but there was also plenty for vegetarians like us to choose from.

The hotel has a convenient room for storing your luggage so you can go out for some last minute shopping while waiting for your taxi to the airport.

svillegirl's Profile Photo

Loved this location!

by written on August 25, 2002

While the Thistle Marble Arch bills themselves as a 4 star hotel they are a more solid 3 +. My room was lovely, large with a fantastic marble bathroom! I really liked the location and the staff were friendly and fairly efficient. We did find the room service to be a bit average. Many pilots and flight crew seem to stay here.

Oh, one nice thing to note....when the bars close down at 12:30am we were able to go back to our hotel and close them down some time after that. Then....they were kind enough to let us hang out in the lobby with our new friends from Wales until 5:00am. (room service could still be ordered in the lobby)

Unique Quality: I know this may sound silly. But I really liked the crown moulding. Most American hotels (new) are lacking this type of detail. It's the small things that can turn an ordinary room into something a little nicer.

Directions: The Thistle Marble Arch

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews