Thistle Trafalgar Square

Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Thistle Trafalgar Square

Great Location - Quiet

Took my daughter to London in Oct. after taking my son in Feb. Stayed both times at Thistle Trafalgar Square.

Location can't be beat; walking distance to most everthing in West End or an easy tube commute.

Room was always clean and quiet (remember, though this is not the Savoy, and neither are you paying Savoy prices).

Small language barrier with some of the staff, but James (consierge) was always very helful.

Second time staying there and I'll use it again.

Scruffy hole

by TripAdvisor Member blackcornish1964

My daughter and I have just come back from London after booking this hotel with 'Lastminute'. What a disappointment; their webiste gave it 8 out of 10, a joke surely. The hotel is scruffy, dirty and smelly. The room we were allocated (deluxe) was tiny, dark, and dinghy. Behind the net curtains the windows were rotten, flaking paint and a not too nice smell. We were patiently told at reception that they had 3 room types and for an extra £20 we could be upgraded to an executive room - hurray!! So on to room 623 it was. The only thing I could see any different to the Deluxe room (apart from the extra £20 coming out of my bank account) was a 'free' small bottle of water. Although all the staff were pleasant enough and the location great, I wouldn't waste my money here again.

Depending what you want

I stayed there for 3 nights. It has its pros and cons really depending on what you want.

Pros
Excellent location at the heart of West end with all theatres and good restaurants. Yet a block behind the noisy street to have a decent sleep. Room provided with tea pot with "Twinnings" and hot chocolate free. Nothing more to expect from a 3 star accomodation. The bed was comfortable and the rate of slightly more than a hundred pounds a night is a good deal.

Cons
The hotel is very old and the maintenance is poor. My room had a faulty light and a shower with the temperature controlled out of order. With the not so clean tub, I prefer to use the shower and had to turn the water real slow to avoid burning myself with the unadjustable switch.

If you just want a place to sleep which is cheap and convenient, it is okay. But certainly not a place that you enjoy to stay.

Great location, very clean

by TripAdvisor Member HilGray

We stayed at the Thistle Trafalger Square for one night on 21st January and were pleased with it. Check in was quick and efficient, our room (number 324) was very spacious and spotlessly clean. There were windows on two walls as it was on a corner which gave lots of natural light. Lots of fluffy towels but strangely only one bathrobe. As our room was at the end of the corridor, with only one other room adjacent to it, it was extremely quiet overnight as no-one had to pass our room to get to theirs. The heating was very easily adjusted so we had a comfortable night. Breakfast was the usual buffet style with good quality, hot food. The breakfast room is the hotel's restaurant and while fine for breakfast was a bit bland and characterless for dining, but let's face it there are hundreds of eateries in London so you don't need to eat dinner at the hotel anyway (Quaglino's is highly recommended!) We stay overnight in London quite regularly to save rushing for the last train home. We have stayed at the Selfridge before but were a little disappointed; we would stay at the Trafalgar Square again. All in all a very nice stay in a clean hotel in a great location.

Great Location. Good if you can get a cheap deal.

by TripAdvisor Member SonF

We stayed here as part of a package that I won online so I cannot comment on price.

The staff were not unfriendly but nor did they go out of their way to make us feel welcome.

Room size was fine although it was an executive room so I wondered what the standard rooms were like.

Overall, the room, sheets and towels were clean and the bathroom quite modern but the curtains needed mending and a valance sheet over the base of the bed would have made a world of difference. A mini bar as well as coffee in the tea- and coffee making tray would have been welcome.

Breakfast was a bit of a let down. The food and drinks were a bit tasteless and the sausages overcooked but I did enjoy the croissants.

We had a pleasant stay but I am glad I did not have to pay for it!

Not luxurious, but pleasant and clean...very good location...pricey.

Great bed and linen. Immaculate room and bath.

Helpful staff. 2.5 blocks from Picadilly, so a great location. Room rates seem high, but it is London...and London is marvelous. We would stay in this hotel again.

Location, location, location

by TripAdvisor Member jeanhjerpe

This hotel gets 4 stars for the location. The hotel itself is fine, but the location is fantastic. You are steps from Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus, theatres, shopping and all the transportation options. The hotel is directly behind the National Gallery. It could use some updating. The carpets are worn and there is some chipped paint, but it is clean and the rooms are a decent size for London. The breakfast buffet is good if a little boring. The beds are comfortable and the staff is willing. This is my second stay here. I recommend it highly. Just remember, it is not the Ritz. It is not badly priced and they do have specials.

Fantastic Hotel, Great Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Nicko20

Fantastic Hotel and a great location. Very good value from booking online. On arrival upgraded to a junior suite. Plenty big enough for our family of 4. Very clean and quiet and the staff were excellent. Breakfast in the morning was tasty and filling with a great selection of hot and cold items. Any people who are critical of this hotel are either picky or unlucky. On our next trip we will stay here.

Great Location!

by TripAdvisor Member louisebaker123

Stayed at this hotel in april for the second time, but this time a bit dissapointed, I booked a deluxe twin room but it was very small although newly refurbished! no other extras and differences between this and standard! I did complain but all the junior suites were booked up as it was half term! The location is excellent however just off leicester square and trafalgar square! Lots of lovely restaurnats nearby also. prob wouldnt stay here again, will stick to the five star hotels!! Did see Billy Elliot at the theatre which was brilliant!

I have stayed in this hotel twice now. Once 4 years ago for my 21st birthday and now 4 years later and it is still a lovely place to stay.

The location is fantastic as Trafalgar Sq, Leicester Sq and Piccadilly are all within a few yards so no need for expensive taxis.

The hotel is clean and friendly. We were told on arrival that we had been given a complimentary upgrade which was a very impressive room with windows all around making it light and airy. The only thing I would say is that a valance sheet would have looked better on the bed (that is really picky - i know!).

I cannot fault the staff and was very impressed at how quiet it is on a morning (no clattering cleaners outside the door as there is at other hotels) I will most definitely book again

Comments