5 Threadneedles Street, London, EC2R 8AY, United Kingdom

Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

True five star Luxury

Threadneedles is described as a 'boutique' five star hotel. I understand the concept when applied to shops. The large rambling department store serving every To, Dick and Harry verses the trendy little place selling the latest catwalk hits to the pretty bright youg things - but applied to hotels ?

The hotel has 69 rooms, and a very impressive lobby that uses an ex-banking hall with a magnificent dome from the 19th Century. It lacks car parking, gyms and swimming pools, this (I guess) makes it boutique - the emphasis is all on design, rather than facilities.

The bedrooms themselves are relatively small for a five-star but furnished to very high standards with marble bathrooms, TV in the bathrooms, sumptuous bedding and nicely subdued lighting.

We also took the 'romantic' package which included Champagne, Chocolates, a special soapy bath and rose petals on the bed - very nice too.

Unique Quality: Breakfast is taken next door (connected) in Bond's restaurant. This upmarket place delivers fine French cuisine at Lunch and dinner, but knocks out a decent fried breakfast for hotel guests as well.

Don't miss a good look at the magnificent stained-glass dome that covers the lobby - it is a masterpiece.

NB you can also often get a discount rate at the weekend, as it's location in the heart of the city mainly appeals to weekday businessmen.

Directions: Behind the bank of England

More about Threadneedles Hotel

Beautiful Hotel - Excellent Staff

by TripAdvisor Member KD76

The Threadneedles hotel is situated in the centre of London's financial area. We stayed here during the last weekend in april (bank holiday). It is a great locationa and very need the tube station Bank.
The hotel is beautiful and very stylish. The decor is very tatseful and everything was of a very good quality.
Rooms are very well equipped and the bathroom was gorgeous with huge windows letting in loads of light.
The staff were excellent - so polite and courteous and welocming, a real credit to the company.
We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to everyone.
Someone else on here has mentioned the parking being a problem as the near by car park is expesive - we found a little road near by where parking was free at weekends - this was great and seemed very safe.
The strange thing about this area is that as it is the financial district it is deserted at weekends - meaning none of the crowds and noise that you are subject to in other areas. This is something which we liked.

Exceptional

by TripAdvisor Member webarm

What can I say...
Just got back from a one night stay at Threadneedles, and can not stop wishing I was back there. I could live there!!
I chose Threadneedles following a equally good stay in another hotel which is part of the Eton collection.
It is a 2min walk from Bank tube station and about 5 min from Liverpool Street Station.
The check in/out process was quick and easy.
The room was absolute bliss, no faults at all.
Would recommend it a thousand times over.

Does everything right, but...

by TripAdvisor Member JonnyOnTheGo

Threadneedles, in the heart of The City, won't disappoint -- yet still comes up a little short. Since my two-day stay there last week, I've been wondering why the visit wasn't satisfying. I'd guess this place lacks those intangibles that separate a perfectly fine hotel from a phenomenal one.

To be fair, Threadneedles meets nearly every discriminating traveler's criteria. It is centrally located (close to the Bank of England, St. Paul's Cathedral and Bank tube station), well appointed (the lobby has a lovely sitting area perfect for afternoon tea), and features an upscale bar and restaurant (though the food looks better than it tastes). The rooms are nice, too, and rather larger by European standards. Atop the queen-sized bed, you'll find an abundance of pillows; an ironing board folds out as you open the closet door; and a CD player complements the large flat screen TV. The bathroom features both a tub and stall shower, as well as lots of towels, shampoos, bath gels and other supplies.

But Threadneedles almost lacks sincerity. In fact, it seems as if it's marking off checklist boxes rather than earnestly working to ensure each guest has a pleasant stay. Plus, at nearly two dollars to the pound, these days even the finest of London hotels seem like extorion. While it was a particularly balmy autumn week while I was there, Threadneedles left me feeling somewhat cold.

Overall very good - worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member LondonJetsetter

Stayed at Threadneedles for a Friday night on the Romance Package (£260 for Executive King room) - as a surprise birthday treat for my girlfriend.

Hotel is easy enough to find although there are not many clues on the outside that it's a hotel (doesn't say hotel anywhere, frosted glass in the entrance doors). Imposing common areas (converted banking hall).

Checkin was swift at the minimalist reception. The rate on the registration card was different (17.5% more) than the rate I booked online. But this came right by the time I checked out. They authorised my card for £350.

The porter accompanied us up to the room and offered to show us how everything worked.

The room was large (especially by London standards) and had all facilities as advertised. The Romance package included Champagne, chocolates - which were ready when we walked in. The inroom stereo/hifi had poor reception and only Classic FM was available. The TV in the bedroom was awkward (not intuitive) to use - as you had to navigate channels via the menu system, rather than using the familiar channel +/- buttons. The room's windows were filthy dirty and haven't been cleaned in months. The room was neat, tidy and clean.

The bathroom is nicely done, lots of space, the LCD TV is a nice touch. Seperate shower and bath. Great imported Korres toiletries. Our cold water tap worked opposite way around to normal, and there wasn't much pressure in the hand basin. Good selection of "posh" magazines in the room and bathroom.

I requested the turn down to occur whilst we were out for dinner (at Bankside, 2 streets away). We returned to the room, covered in rose petals (well, they're fabric ones!), the turn down, complimentary mineral water (although being served in a glass bottle could have been tap water!), a filled ice bucket, slippers and a carafe of bubble bath in the bathroom. The airconditioning was very efficient. We were supposed to have a scented candle as part of the romance package - but this never materialised.

The bed (the king size was actually two base sets joined together) was very comfortable and the egyptian cotton linen is always great. The blackout curtains do a great job - however our room faced a side street and we were woken up by the muncipal refuse collection and some construction noise :( Also, the walls/doors appear to be quite thin and you can easily hear whats going on out in the passage and possibly even in adjoining rooms. Our room (214) was across from the entrance to the service lift - and were further disturbed by noises from there. Also, the plumbing makes a noise - anyone turning on a tap or flushing the toilet above, below or next to your room makes noise.

The complimentary newspaper was delivered in a pouch hanging on the door overnight.

Breakfast was included on the romance package - but was very confusing. They say "breakfast is included" but don't say which one. I asked at the restaurant but the staff didn't know what was included and I had to go back to reception to find out. They said "everything is included" - but that's not true either - as you have to choose a breakfast (not self service buffet). There's the Power (full english) breakfast, the Canadian (with pancakes and bacon) and the Continental (which is self service). There's also a range of a la carte items - but these are charged extra. Service was very good and attentive, and the food tasty. Thank goodness breakfast was included, as at £19 for a full english would be a rip off!!

We requested a late check out and were allowed to stay until 2pm - a nice touch, especially on the weekend when they're quieter (I guess this is a business, weekday kind of hotel). They could do with more staff on reception, as on checkin and checkout I had to wait to be served.

All in all, very good - and I recommend it.

Great atmosphere!

We were there during the weekend, when everything in the proximity is closed. So you need to go with the Underground to get somewhere. However, the underground is not far from the hotel. The atmosphere is great, spacious and modern. Food is nice as well (breakfast!). We did miss internet: either wireless LAN or an internet facility/business centre like space. Woulkd book again for business, but no for holiday.

Lovely Hotel however......

Hotel is fabulous and extremley classy. Room was very tasteful and modern. Only problem I had was when checking In - I had booked the room on last minute and paid for the full amount of the room using my credit card. When we arrived at the hotel the receptionist asked for my credit card which i handed over thinking they were just taking the details in case we used room service etc. The receptionist then proceeded to put my credit card in the chip and pin machine at which point i informed him that i had already paid for the room and showed him my paperwork. He then went out to a back room and on his return quitely infomred me that he had charged £180 onto my card - there was not much of an apology and I was a bit confused how this happened as I had not actually entered my pin number. Anyway he said he would get on to the bank and resolve the matter. I havent checked with my bank yet as only just got back!! We will see as the receptionist did not fill be with confidence!!

2nd stay - even better than the last!!

by TripAdvisor Member AshleyH

Stayed here a few months ago - it's very quiet due at the weekend due to it's City location! Last time's stay was brilliant (review further down).

This time we booked the same deal - £150 for an exec room. Got upgraded to a 2 roomed suite which excelled in comfort and style and the goodies (toiletries, quality magazines and a plasma screen to watch whilst in the bath) in the bathroom are fab!

Fantastic quality rooms, outstanding service at reception (once you find the entrance to the hotel!). I really cannot fault this hotel in the slightest - all boutique hotels should take a visit and learn a few things!

A few problems.

by TripAdvisor Member angbrand

My husband and I stayed here in October for two nights on a weekend. We were able to take advantage of the cheaper weekend rates.

The room was on the small side, but the bed was very large, and really comfortable with lovely cotton sheets and lots of big soft cushions. The bathroom was very nice and everything was really clean.

We had a couple of problems though. On our last morning we had to get up early (6.00am) to catch a flight to New York, and there was no hot water in the whole hotel. Staff offered to take us across to a nearby gym, but we did not have time so had a cold shower. There did not seem to be any great apologies for this inconvenience either.

Also, we could not get Chanel 7 on the TV in the bedroom, but could on the TV in the bathroom. This was really annoying to my husband as he had to sit in the bathroom to watch the cricket! We rang Reception and someone came up to the room and said they would contact their supervisor. Nothing happened the entire time we were there, and no Chanel 7!

On the second day were were there, we came back to our room at about 3.30pm as we were cold and wet, to find them still making up the room. This was annoying as we had to go down to reception and wait in our wet clothes!

We did not eat in the restaurants as they are closed over the weekends. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel either, as it is quite expensive.

After all that, I must admit that the bed was fantastic, so at last we got a good night's sleep!

Great value in weekends

by TripAdvisor Member Stegan

Ok, in many ways this is a 5 star hotel. Everything is 5 star except for what many others also says, it's to cold. The location is great for people who are in London for business in the City, not so great for others. But it's just next to the central line, so no big deal really.

I stayed in 3 hotels in London for in total a week. This was the best in every way, except for this coldnes. The decoration is for me perfect. Even so I have some complaints that I as a norwegian (we don't like to complain) don't bother telling the staff, since they are minor and I didn't really care. But still this is a 5 star hotel, it should be perfect. The water would never keep the same temperature so you had to adjust all the time. The pressure was also unstable. It's also impossible to shower without spilling water on the floor. Not much but still.

Also I'm quite anoid by having to pay for wireless internett, when the web page gave me the impression that it was free. I know when you can afford such a expensive place you shouldn't care and bla bla, but 6 pounds for an hour or 20 for one day is kind of crazy.

I would reccomend it in the weekends, but would have chosen another hotel like Soho for the regular price.

Comments