Travelodge London Covent Garden

Travelodge London Covent Garden Hotel
Orbitz.com Travelocity AMOMA.com

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• planxty's Profile Photo

Adequate but a bit soulless.

For those of you not familiar with the Travelodge chain they provide a fairly no frills service at a reasonable price, and they generally do it pretty well.

I remember many years ago, my late Mother stayed here and I do recall a very pleasant public area with a pleasant bar where I waited for her to get ready to go out. I think the pictures speak for themselves here. This is now part of a chain, and you could equally be sitting in Liverpool, Cambridge or anywhere else, it is all a bit sterile. From the number of laptops in evidence in the foyer as I checked out, it appears to be much patronised by the business community, although it is in a prime position for "theatreland" should that be the reason for your visit. Perhaps the reason for all the laptops was that, somewhat oddly, wifi internet is free in the foyer but charged in the rooms.

I may sound a bit negative but there really was nothing wrong with the place. The accomodation was spotless with all the usual trappings, tea and coffee making facilities, flatscreen TV etc. The only problem with the room was that the basement location meant there was absolutely no view whatsoever with frosted mullioned windows. Note also that Travelodge do not provide complimentary toiletries, so bring your own.

I didn't eat in the restaurant but the menu in the room indicated that it was quite good value for a central London hotel.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique, just a functional hotel in a good location.

• saracen's Profile Photo

Unpleasant Hotel in Hard to Find Location

The hotel is located in what appears to be a former office block, however it is not easy to spot so best ask directions from someone who knows the area.

The rooms are smelly, dark and not pleasant. The bathrooms are old, smelly again, and supplied with a single old, threadbare towel.

The staff are efficient but not helpful in any way. Don't even bother to ask if they can look after your luggage for an hour or so after check-out - they won't.

Unique Quality: Nothing - I would never dream of returning.

More about Travelodge London Covent Garden

Fantastic Value!

Location Excellent! Value Excellent!
If you've never stayed in a London hotel then this place will not impress you. However, if you are familiar with London's usual lack-lustre hotels and are looking for a reasonably priced, clean, quiet hotel in the perfect location then you can't beat the Travelodge, Covent Garden. We stayed 3 nights August 4 - 6, 2005 and paid only 46 pounds per night for double occupancy. This is unheard of in London! We had a king size bed and our own large bathroom. Our only issue with the room was the shower faucet was difficult to turn and off. Another annoyance was the fact that the hotel does not allow you to leave your luggage at the hotel after the 12 noon check-out. Other than that we were very pleased with the hotel and would gladly recommend it to anyone looking for a budget hotel in central London.

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Ajoto57

I had already booked 2 nights at the Travelodge Covent Garden, so before leaving for my trip, I read some of the reviews on this website. I must admit, I was a bit wary of staying there, as some reviewers used rather harsh words to describe the hotel's negative features.

When we first arrived, though, I was very impressed. Any negative ideas that arose from others' bad reviews vanished when I saw the clean and charming hotel. Granted, it did not supply luxuries like an alarm clock or telephone access to the front desk. However, the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room (a twin ensuite) was very cozy, clean, and inviting.

As for location, I could not have asked for better. We were able to walk with ease to most of the locations we had on our itinerary. The surrounding neighborhood is bustling and very safe (important to two young women such as us), though a few of the side streets were dark and suspicious at night.

The only complaint I have was that the Travelodge did not allow us to stow our baggage in the hotel prior to checking in. Since we arrived in London around 10am and could not check in until 3pm, this was a minor setback. The hotel itself, though, impressed me. I would not think twice before booking with them again!!

hmmm!!

by TripAdvisor Member sevvi

yes, hmmm! It's ashame I didn't think to read any reviews of this hotel before booking it. My boyfriend and I just needed somewhere to crash for one night whilst down in London for a friends birthday. It sounds like we were lucky we drove, and we obviously went on a quiet-ish saturday as we arrived at 12.00 midday, and were allowed into our room straight away (we thought there might have been a problem getting there 3 hours before their check-in time), you have to pay for parking, but at least your car is right there, the car park is under the hotel and a bit grotty and smelly though - but hey, it is london afterall, and there are only limited spaces for which we checked before arriving, and you can't book for the car park - might be a bit of a problem for car drivers on a busy weekend although i think i saw some public parking down one of the adjacent roads. Anyway because we had the car, we asked if we could leave it in the car park until around 3pm-ish the next day when we checked out, and they were fine with this, so we could just put our luggage back in our car.
Onto the appearance of the hotel itself - on first arriving i thought it looked a bit grotty from the outside - very concrete jungle - but you can't judge a book by it's cover can you? well actually in this case, yes! The hotel, although very pleasant in the reception area where it is very freshly decorated and clean, seems to be anything but throughout the rest of the hotel. our room was very very basic for £89 a night with a very suspicious small double bed, the room was small and very cold and empty looking and the bathroom was grotty with only one small bar of soap provided - we did have enough towels for the both of us though. The television was not tuned in properly, a point someone else on here has acknowledged.
The only thing I can say for this hotel is that it is in a pretty decent location, only 5 mins walk from Covent Garden and it's tube station (Leicester square is then not too far a walk from that) and it's also walking distance from Holborn station.
If your looking for a hotel thats 'ok' to rest your head in for one night and thats in a good location, the Travelodge Covent Garden is a fair enough choice for the money, although I wish I could have had it for the £46 i've seen other people on here mention. It's not fantastic but it'll do, but I honestly don't think I will stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends, I think as human beings we can do better than this hotel - I hope so anyway.

Value, Quality and Consistency to Central London

by TripAdvisor Member aTraveller67

I had the pleasure of staying at the Covent Garden Travelodge for 1 night in October and I was pleasantly surprised. I booked it without reading any reviews and if I had have done I would have avoided it and probably missed out on the best value hotel in Central London. The hotel looks very welcoming from the street and this is continued in the reception area, which is very smart and the front desk staff were very efficient. Earlier reviews talk about dingy, claustrophobic corridors, I didn't notice any of this and the corridors were bright and clean. On entering the room the good feeling about the hotel continued. The room was pleasantly decorated and everything was in good condition. All the lights worked, the carpet was new and there was a phone, TV and the soft furnishing were co-ordinated. The bathroom was clean and tidy but not huge, nicely tiled with big mirror. The location is excellent, within walking distance of two or three tube stations and right on the edge of the West End eating and entertainment district. Even if you have to pay the standard rate of £89 it is still good value, if you book a bit in advance and you can get a double for £46 its a bargain for this location, or anywhere in London. It appears that Travelodge have brought affordability, quality and consistency to Central London for the first time. I'd definitely stay here again and happily recommend it.

Did it use to be an office?

by TripAdvisor Member Brett_S

Stayed here on business and although the location is great the hotel and rooms are horrible. The sink and shower had cracks and brownstuff growing in and around them.

I normally value a good location highly when seeking accomodation but in this case even the good location does not save it.

Good location but otherwise terrible

by TripAdvisor Member KerryDC

The main reason I'm rating this hotel 'terrible' is because they refused to store my luggage for a few hours on the day I checked out. I have stayed in several London hotels and numerous hotels around Western Europe, and this had NEVER happened to me before. What's more, they gave me incorrect information that I could store my luggage at one of the train stations -- that hasn't been true for several years due to security concerns. Had I not known London, I would have dragged my luggage to the train station to find I had no where to leave it and would have had to drag my luggage around London all day (fortunately, I was able to leave it at the conference I was attending). They were also quite impolite about it.

Otherwise, I would have rated it 'Okay, but some problems'. It is very drab; there was mold in the shower; and, typical in England, there was only a duvet (no top sheet, and I doubt that duvets are cleaned daily). Our room was large enough, but it overlooked a concrete square where people were kicking a dog and yelling at each other -- very noisy. The location is very good -- extremely central. The breakfast cost extra and was not great (you'd probably do as well to get an English breakfast elsewhere) -- served in a lobby area -- but not too bad. All in all, for paying about $100 per night in central London, I didn't expect much, and that's what I got. However, I was furious about the luggage issue and will never stay in a Travelodge in the UK again for that one reason. Don't stay here unless you're OK with a not-very-nice room and plan to head straight to the airport or train with your luggage immediately after checking out.

Not the best!

by TripAdvisor Member Jules66uk

Stayed here as a group of 4 girls. Wanted a central, basic hotel in London.
We got a little less than basic!
No Hairdryers, no storage for luggage. Room was very cold most of the time. The window's locks were broken, which was a security risk.
The staff were pleasant enough, but not falling over themselves to help you.
I wouldnt rush to book this hotel again as we paid £79 per night for it. Would be ok at £46 special rate I suppose, but breakfast is extra (£6.50 whatever you have!)
Ok if you have low standards, or just need somewhere to sleep, though I did come home with a bad back!

Great Location

We stayed at this hotel in June 05 and loved it.
It was clean, the staff were friendly and the location was brilliant - only a few minutes walk to Covent Garden.
We liked it so much that we are going back in March.
Ok, the rooms are basic, but if you want a posh hotel, pay for it.

wasvery nice

Have to put in a positive plug. I am very picky about where I stay. In fact we left one highly recommended hotel for this one and had a great experience. English ambiance?? No!, but after having no water and 3 people being in a room that you couldn't move in, it was great to have a spacious room. We got lucky and got a room that had just been remodeled!! Everything was new and very nice!!! Room was street level. Yes, they were in the middle of construction but if every room looks like the one we had, I would say go for it!!!

Travelodge Covent Garden

by S2000Lee

I have just booked a room in the Travelodge Covent Garden. Apparently there are 2 buildings to this hotel with 2 different receptions, but does anyone know how rooms are assigned and if any of these buildings is better than the other?

Re: Travelodge Covent Garden

by handfordr

The Covent Garden Travelodge has it entrance along Drury Lane, about 50m from the junction with Holborn. The 'other' Travel Lodge is dubbed Travelodge Holborn and is on the other side of the Drury Lane/Holborn junction on the corner.
As far as I can tell it doesn't really matter which one you're allocated. Your good/bad experience is more likely to be affected by fellow guests. There are a lot of young groups using these hotels.

• Sep 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Avoid this hotel!

I stayed here for 3 nights and was checked every morning for breakfast voucher. On my last day here, my backpack was stolen at the hotel breakfast enclosure area. It all happened within a minute. A guy well dressed in suit came over to my table & took my bag away. This is all too unbelievable in a secured area within the hotel. The staff at the breakfast entrance failed to check the thief for breakfast voucher and just let him walk in and took my bag away. The thief was not a hotel guest and neither does him hold a hotel breakfast voucher. I lose my valuable and unused British rail passes.

The hotel had this guy’s photo-fit photograph on the security wall, but all the staff failed to recognize him. The whole incident was recorded by the hotel CCTV. According to the hotel staff this thief had been moving around Travelodge hotels, stealing their hotel guests valuable for the past 3 days and he is still out there. There was clearly negligent from the hotel, but the hotel management claims that anybody can walk into the hotel freely. Then I wander why the staff been checking me for breakfast voucher every morning without fail but not the thief?
    I am sure for £73 a night; you can stay somewhere else that is safer and give you better room amenities. Don’t bother to buy the breakfast voucher as according to the Hotel Management everybody can walk in and take free breakfast. I was really traumatized by this incident, but sadly I was even asked to pay £1 for the use of internet in order to retrieve the rest of my holiday bookings.