2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 13% higher but also costs 49% more than other 2.5 star hotels

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Biggest Travelodge in London and in the Country!

Mum and I stayed at this budget hotel where we acquired a saver rate when we booked in advance on-line. The Travelodge is the biggest one in London and in the country with 408 rooms. We had a twin room and despite the interior furnishings looking faded and 'tired', we had a good stay and the ensuite room provides tea and coffee making facilities.

We had an evening meal at the on-site cafe bar where we had a wonderful meal. It cost us around 21 GBP for both our meals including drinks and side orders. I had the sweet potato and Soya Bean Curry and mum had Beef Cassorole.

I recommend this Travelodge if you're on a budget and can able to acquire a saver rate in advance. The reception area, however, can get very busy so you may have to be patient when checking in and checking out. I would not recommend using the left luggage facilities as a locker is 10 GBP each although the railway station is not that much cheaper. There is car parking available but the rates are extortionate!

Unique Quality: The hotel is convenient for Kings Cross Railway Station and the underground to access the sights of central London.

Directions: A short walk from Kings Cross Railway Station.

More about Travelodge London Kings Cross Royal Scot

Great Room for a tenner!

by TripAdvisor Member Charlie_Lon

I stayed here in January for one night. As with all Travelodge, the facilities are basic. There are not enough irons or hairdryers to go round and you need to leave a deposit if you do manage to get one. However, I found the reception staff extremely helpful and polite. The first room was a bit smelly and the TV and heater did not work. After some apologies, we were moved to a huge corner room with a double bed and a sofa and two windows overlooking the square at the back. The room was enormous and very comfortable and if i stayed here again I would definitely ask for a corner room. Overall, at £10 for the night we were laughing!

never again

Really cheesed off about this place. I had travelled fro, Cornwal two weeks ago, had delays on a hot and stuffy train and just wanted a beer and a chill, how wrong can you be. The reception of the hotel isnt bad at all, they didnt have my booking, tried to charge me extra, when my secretary called me with a booking reference number, they suddenly found it, wow strange that one, the staff friendly enough, but alas bone idle, my card didnt work 4 times, up and down up and down, i was not best happy, they smiled, sure its a wind up? room was like a cheap cabin on a cruise ship, tiny is not the word, it was seriously small, anyway showered, (shower head was filthy was assured it was just hard water hhmm i lived in london, my shower head was never like that) and went for a drink, door handle came off in my hand, gave to reception and they said they would fix it, returned a few hours later , and not fixed, up and down , you get my picture, why didnt they tell me as i passed reception that maintenence was not there and couldnt repair it took 20 mins to get in the room offered a change of room, but couldnt get to my stuff, yes like hell i thought, my i pod phone wallett in there over night , i think not, a game hhmm??? By this time i went down for a beer at the lobby, and went to watch a bit of telly, asked manager to turm it up he said no he cant , i argued he relented, a victory at last, mind wasnt worth it because the staff were all sitting around after thier shift had finished watching tv and drinking coffee, I the guest had to stand hhhmmmm. I commented as i booked out next morning on the quality and was told oh well with a shrug of the shoulders, so i complained to travelodge, and guess what two weeks later a refund, so if you stay here argue and get your money back if its not right, i doubt it will be, just avoid avoid avoid

Danger on the ground floor - Never stay on the ground floor

by TripAdvisor Member NeedParadise

I am currently staying in the travelodge Islington and for £45 per night for a double it's not bad. You get what you pay for and nothing more. However, I checked in last week and went to go to my room (on the ground floor - rooms beginning 2000) and heard noises. I knocked and heard someone say 'shhhh', I knocked again, and heard someone say 'it's a woman' (so they weren't completely stupid!) I then said I had a key and was going to open the door. I was taken aback when I was afronted with 3 male youths (I believe they can also be called the scum of today). They tried to fob me off with the fact that their parents had checked out but they decided to stay a while longer (suprising considering it was just on double bed for 2 parents and three teenage boys!) I was having none of it and told them to come to reception with me, so they scarpered through the fire exit. I then realised that they had broken in (to do what I don't want to even guess at - they could only have had a cuppa and watch a bit of terrestrial TV!) So I went to reception where I was informed that this happens quite often and that the police had been called again. I told them I wanted a room on one of the top floors, and they put me in a room, which had no remote and no towels. I complained and to their credit, when I returned I had a remote and towels were provided. So a WORD OF WARNING, if you are a single female - never agree to staying in the ground floor of this hotel. On a lighter point, complain, (ok so you may have a wait) but complain and if they don't offer you a free breakfast, ask for one, you always get it!

don't stay here! Stay at kings cross travel inn instead!!

by TripAdvisor Member anom26

We stayed at this hotel for one night on the 16th march. While check-in was fairly quick it was an absolute nightmare trying to find our room. we were in room 2011 and were told to take the lift to the 2nd floor. we then spent the next half an hour wandering around the corridors trying to find the room - eventually we found it - the furthest along the corridor and down a flight of stairs took us to an 'annex' area. No lift in sight - not easy with heavy cases. the room itself was ok, not spotless by any stretch of the imagination but ok. Bizarrely this annex was on the ground floor and directly outside our window was workmen. you'd think that the hotel would avoid putting people in rooms woth workmen working in the street directly outside the window! then, at 1am the fire alarm screetched on. then went off. then on. then off. we went out into the corridor trying to find staff but there was only confused people wandering around, we didn't see any staff at all. Overall we did not have a good stay - try and avoid this hotel. the kings cross travel inn is a much better, far more efficient hotel.

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member cls_2005

The first thing you notice about this hotel is the area. We felt very uncomfortable walking from the hotel to Kings Cross even in daylight. Although it's only 5 minutes walk from the station we encountered several 'characters' along the way.

We had booked a triple room but were allocated a double room plus. We were told that rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis which seemed strange that we didn't get our choice despite booking 7months in advanace and checking in 30 mins early!!! After complaining we were given a free breakfast but no reduction in price even though we could have booked this room type for £46 intsead of £60 via travelodge's internet site.

The room was clean and comfortable although very noisy. We could hear the staff arriving for work at 7.30am and building work began in the hotel at 8am. Maybe we were just unlucky that our room backed onto the car park.

If I was staying in London again I would choose a different hotel.

Good value.

by TripAdvisor Member tomdecking

This hotel is very close to Kings Cross station. Although it was good value for money it lacked many things. The breakfast was a joke. They ran out of everything: Sausages,beans even milk and bread.The building work started very early often before 8am Unfortunatelty they were renovating the room directly above ours. Kings Cross Road was dodgy. It was always empty and seemed like a back street even though it had many shops and restauants on it. The staff were very helpul and the room was tidy. Very handy for trips to Arsenal.

don't even think about staying here

by TripAdvisor Member rainysnows

I've written loads of reviews on here, some great and some middling but this place takes the cake.We'd travelled for 5 hours and all we wanted to do was get into our room and rest.Sounds easy? It took us an hour to get into our rooom.We were given an electronic key which you have to swipe- come back old keys!!Needless to say it wouldn't swipe.We had to then que for the lift to go back down and then they fiddled with it,said it's ok now and needless to say it wasn't.3 times this happened-all the time queing with coach loads of people to return with the blasted key which you KNEW wasn't go to work.It didn't even work with the staff members key.The downstairs loos work off a switch card too so we couldn't even use them.

Eventually a manager appeared, let us in,only to find the TV was broke, there was no plug for the sink,and breakfast the following morning was like a free for all scrum.We couldn't wait to get away.There must be better hotels in the area- try anywhere but here.

Disgusting & Dirty! Would NEVER stay here again!

I recently had a job interview in London and the company arranged for me to stay in this hotel the night before the interview.

Firstly, it is not in the nicest area of London....I agree with some of the other reviews about the 'dodgy' location, especially if you have small children.

When I arrived at the hotel, I thought it looked alright. I have stayed in many travelodges before and I mistakenly thought that 'you couldn't go wrong' with a travelodge. How wrong I was! I was informed when I checked in that my room didn't have a shower like i'd requested but it had a bath instead. I was quite annoyed because I needed a shower before my interview. The receptionist allayed my fears by telling me that there was a 'shower head' in the bath, so I was prepared to let it go (after all I wasn't spending MY money on the room!)

After I arrived in my room (on the 6th floor), I was a bit disgusted by the grime and peeling paint in the bathroom. However, this was nothing compared to the absolutely disgusting sight of the pillows in my bed. Firstly, they had no pillowcases on them, and secondly they had pubic hairs sticking out of the fibres! Yuck! They blatantly had not been changed. I checked the cupboards for clean pillowcases or spare pillows, only to find that there were no pillowcases and the spare pillows also had pubic hairs in them. I went down to reception and politely asked for some pillowcases only to be told that they don't have any! I reacted by demanding new 'clean' pillows and explained that I had found numerous pubic hairs in mine. The receptionist looked dubious and asked if I was sure that they weren't eyelashes or eyebrows!!!! What?! Firstly...they were DEFINITELY pubic hairs and secondly....there should not be any hair in the pillows at all! She said she'd get someone to change them. I waited over 3 hours and still they had not been changed. I was extremely tired and needed to go to sleep before my interview. I went back down to reception and complained and the receptionist said that someone would be sent up immediately with new pillows. AN HOUR later the guy finally showed up! He acknowledged that the hairs were pubic hairs and did apologise for the inconvenience but to be honest it was too little, too late!

You would think it couldn't get any worse....but it did! I went for my shower in the morning and the shower didn't work! In fact, in the process of trying to get in on, the cold tap got jammed and wouln't turn off. I was very pushed for time so had to get reception to sort it out... but they didn't seem to understand the urgency in my complaint. In fact, I had to demand another room to have a shower in and I refused to leave reception until I had another room key.

Overall, probably the WORST hotel that I have EVER stayed in! I would reccomend everybody to pay a little extra and stay somewhere which had a grasp of basic hygiene, cleanliness and customer service levels!

comfortable stay

Paid £45/night
Had no complaints - room was clean, staff were courteous even had air conditioning in room which was a blessing!
Breakfast well worth £6.50 though slow at refilling
Nearest tube station Kings Cross but Thameslink easier as less roads to cross at rushhour, probably not the best area to be alone in after dark but it is a major city

This hotel is not in Islington

by TripAdvisor Member EmParr

Colleagues & friends have booked into this hotel on the understanding that the Islington in the name means that it is actually IN Islington - either up at the Angel (as are Jurys Inn & Hilton) about a mile away OR that the Kings Cross Rd address means that it is one of the good value hotels on the KingsX section of the Euston Rd or part of the KingsX state-of-the-art regeneration area.

Alas No, this establishment is tired old hotel, close to Percy Circus (charming bit of London residential architecture), on the Kings Cross Rd - heavy traffic, few ammenities & a good 10 minute walk to the KingsX tube/rail & buses.

Their comments have been that it is tired & past it's best. Travelodge have taken itover relatively recently & so it may improve.

The newer KingsX hotels will be in Grays Inn Road & York Way