Westland Hotel

Not too good to be true

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 11, 2009

Update February 2012

Once again I had booked a room in the Westland Hotel. Lately I had read bad reviews about it and had wondered if it had deteriorated so much. I hoped I hadn't recommended a bad hotel, since I had often told VTers about it in the forum.
When I arrived I was greeted very friendly. My room - this time a single - was clean and spacious, compared to other singles I have stayed in London or Paris. The bathroom was also large. It had a bathtub with an extra shower. The corners of the bathroom were not absolutely clean and the window would have profited from a good cleaning, the curtain hang down at one end - but the toilet, the sink and the bathtub were very clean.
The hotel looked at bit more run-down than during my last stay there, but I didn't see anything which merited the bad reviews it got.

The location is still excellent, the rooms are really large for London,the staff is still very friendly and the rate I got by booking in advance was great. I paid about £ 58 for my room including continental breakfast. I will stay there again.
End of update 2012

Original review:
From what I had read before our stay in London, the Westland Hotel seemed to be the sort of hotel I thought didn't exist any more in London: family-run, reasonable rates, good location and large,clean rooms.

Let me tell you:It does exist!

Our flight was rescheduled to the very first one in early morning and we arrived at the hotel at 10 am. We asked if we could leave our luggage, but were told our room was ready for us.As our son was coming down to London to see us, we had booked a double with an extra bed for the first night. It was a large room with three real beds, not the kind of small, folding bed I've had before in London hotel rooms. There was even space enough for a table and chairs. We also had a balcony, but as it was February it was too cold to sit outside. But in summer this must be great. The bathroom was also large with a nice tub.
The hotel let us stay in the room after our son had left, they simply took away the extra bed, giving us even more space.

Breakfast is served, it's not a buffet. Our rate included continental breakfast, English breakfast was £ 8 extra.The hotel's rack rate includes English breakfast.

The Westland is about five minutes walk to Queensway station and 10 minutes to Notting Hill Gate. It's opposite of Kensington Gardens, an ideal location for an early morning run. By booking ahead I got a very good rate, 87 Euro per night on average for the room.

Unique Quality: Update August 2009:
I stayed in the Westland Hotel again, this time I was on my own and it was high season. I had a twin room for single use, more expensive than in off-season but still a reasonable rate for London - 120 Euro, about £ 100. The staff was just as nice and helpful as the first time. I arrived early and had to wait for five minutes, while it was checked if my room was ready. It was and I could drop my bags. On my last day I could leave them in the hotel.

This is really a great hotel!

Directions: Turn right on Bayswater Road when coming from Queensway tube station and walk for about five minutes.

LucaM5 Jul 31, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Hello. I would like to know if it is true that your hotel also provides a room-rental service. A man (Matteo Grassi) offered me a room for rent, claiming that it is a different part of your hotel. Do you confirm it?
Please let me know as soon as possibile.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    toonsarah Jul 31, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Virtual Tourist, where you have posted this question, is an independent travellers' website / social network. You should contact the hotel directly about this

• leics's Profile Photo
    leics Jul 31, 2014 at 9:33 AM

You absolutely should contact the hotel directly. Here's the hotel website:

There is no email contact given but there is a phone number.

Nearby Westland Hotel

• Beverage Selection
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Piccadilly
Buckingham Palace
Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Train / Bus Stations
Driving in London
Department stores
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Souvenirs
Trains
Getting around
Architectural
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Eating, Drinking and socialising
Rules
Chiquito, Leicester Square
Galileo's Locanda Toscana
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)