168-172 Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park, London, W2 1TP, United Kingdom

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

• lou31's Profile Photo

Good Location

I stayed here for 2 nights in August and paid 72 pounds a night, which is quite cheap for that time of year.
    The room was ok but the breakfasts were disapointing. Just tea/coffee, cereal [cornflakes or ricebubbles], toast plus ham & cheese.
    The staff were good though everything was nice and clean.

Unique Quality: The best part about this hotel was it's location. It was not far from Paddington Station and within walking distance from Hyde Park.

It also had free internet access! However they timed out every 20 minutes.

Directions: Just around the corner from Paddington Station.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Nice stay by Paddington Station

The Westpoint Hotel is located in a Victorian building in a quite residential area in Sussex Gardens. It is centrally located to many major sites and walking distance to Hyde and Kensington Parks. The nearest tube stations are Paddington Station (2 minute walk) and Lancaster Gate (5 minute walk). At Paddington Station you can also ride the Heathrow Express to and from London Heathrow as well as trains to towns outside of London.

My room, a double, was your basic small but very clean room. It had an in-suite bathroom, a super small T.V. mounted on the wall, a closet to hang clothing and a few nice drawers. Breakfast was included in the room rate, but wasn’t something I would get up early to have. Included in the breakfast were a few pieces of ham, cheese, toast, coffee and your choice of juice.

The lobby is quite pleasant looking with marble floors and a nice reception area. To the right of the lobby is a sitting area around a fountain with what looks like a Greek statue in the center. There is a lift to the rooms which is good especially if you are on a higher floor like I was.

Overall, this hotel was exactly what I needed during my most recent visit 5/2008. I would consider staying here again.

Unique Quality: The reason why I chose this hotel was for its proximity to Paddington Station as I was planning on doing a day trip to Warwick and Oxford. I also wanted to take the Heathrow Express and didn’t want to worry about switching at Paddington Station for a tube ride to another destination. I wanted simplicity.

• VDElvis's Profile Photo

Don't be fooled by the luxurious lobby

I booked this hotel over the phone. I sent them an email using their website, since they didn't have online booking, asking them to reply ASAP since I was leaving for a trip soon. After two days, they hadn't replied so I just called them and booked a room. I liked that their price for a double room was just 74 pounds a night, and that they were near Hyde Park. After I had booked the room, I actually received a response to my original email about 3 or 4 days later, which I found pretty odd.

When I checked in, I was very impressed. The lobby was beautiful. Lots of marble, a statue and fountain, very luxurious. I thought that maybe I'd found a steal for my 74 pounds a night. They told me that they'd upgraded me to a triple room, no extra charge, so I was very impressed with the hotel. Then I saw my room. It was small for a double room, let alone a triple. The walls had cracks in them, the floors were dirty, and most of the floor was actually on a slight incline. The beds and bathroom were okay, but the TV was tiny and had no remote control.

They offer a free continental breakfast, which is really just juice, a piece of cheese, a piece of ham, and some cold toast. Or you can upgrade to a full English breakfast (continental plus a sausage, a piece of bacon, an egg and some beans) for 3 pounds. That's what I did. It was okay, but one day they managed to screw up my order, which kind of baffled me.

This hotel is okay as a place to sleep, but not much else. It's kind of a dump, but I guess for that price in London, you can't expect much. I just think their website is a little misleading, as the rooms aren't nearly as nice as advertised.

Directions: Just north of Hyde Park

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

close to Paddington

I stayed there for 3 nights. The double room I got wasn't the biggest one but then again I was in the room only for sleeping and leaving bags full of souvenirs and changing clothes. The street had a little traffic but at night it was very quiet. The double room as of when I was there, 2007-07-19, was 37£ per person and included taxes and a continental breakfast, which was toasted bread, one slice of ham and cheese per person, a small selection of juice, cereal, milk, coffee and tea. Add 3£ and get a British breakfast with scones.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

Unique Quality: Location: Walking distance from Paddington station where I could go to my must-sees easily. Also easily accessible by bus, if one gets to understand how they work (it took me a while).

Directions: By tube from LHR: take the Piccadilly line and get off at Hammersmith, then take the pink line and get off at Paddington.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Budget lodging near Paddington

I couldn't get anything on Priceline in any region of London for my 1st night and I was up to $150 US so I gave up and booked a budget hotel near Paddington Station. There are dozens of these types of hotels along Sussex Gardens Road and I imagine they are all pretty similar. I booked a single room on booking.com for L56, the walk in price was just a little bit more than that I think. It's only about a block from Paddington Station so it's a very convenient area to stay in. From my hotel I was able to walk to the Edgware Road area (about 10 minutes) and to Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens.

Since it's near a major train station, there are a lot of cheap places to eat nearby. I ate at Lolita and Flames, both takeaway kebab shops. Here's a link to some other places to eat in the area.

Unique Quality: The hotel met my expectations for what I was paying for it, L56 is pretty cheap for an ensuite room in London without using a discounter like Priceline.

Bathroom-very small, no toiletries except soap. Low water pressure but plenty of hot water. There was a hair dryer.

Room-single room was was basic but clean, bed was reasonably comfortable, decent sized for a single, coffee maker and wall mounted TV.

Directions: Closest tube: Paddington Station, head towards Praed street exit from tube station (HEX and train station will be different), turn right on Praed and then right again on London Street, it's on the corner of London Street and Sussex Gardens.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Cosy hotel in the heart of Paddington

Westpoint Hotel is located in a quiet residential area in Sussex Gardens just a stone's throw from Paddington Station. Arriving on the Heathrow Express, Westpoint Hotel is a mere 5 minute walk from Paddington Station. The room that I had, room 16, was on level between the first and second storey. Although the hotel had an elevator, I had to access my room via a short flight of steps.

Unique Quality: Westpoint Hotel is a typical Victorial style hotel. The rooms small but clean with attached shower and TV. Breakfast is a sumptous affair in the basement of the hotel.

Directions: It is a 10-minute walk from Paddington Station.

• jolliette's Profile Photo

Good hotel right outside Paddington Station

I opted for a hotel since I wasn't going to be in town long and decided for the comfort of a single room hotel.

It was a little pricey.. approx. $100 CAD/night.. but it was RIGHT outide Paddington Station. The underground and a fast train directly to Heathrow stop here. Also, the Big Bus London City tours stopped right outside the hotel.

A good continental breakfast was included.. cereal, juice, a roll with ham and cheese. TV and bathroom in each room.

Unique Quality: It's not an outstanding hotel.. just average, even though the price would indicate something more. But I would say location is it's best advantage.

Directions: Paddington Station area

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Westpoint Hotel

Pleasant central London location: convenient for all major sights, museums and theatres. Close to all shopping districts; Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus. Clean, comfortable, well decorated rooms. All rooms with ensuite shower, toilet and colour TV. Lift to all floors and free luggage room facility.

Ideally situated: 2 minutes from Paddington Station & Lancaster Gate Stations, Airbus and Heathrow Express From Waterloo International take the Bakerloo line to Paddington. Car parking by arrangement.

Unique Quality: This hotel has long been a popular choice amonst tourists due to its pleasant central location, with easy access to London's major tourist attractions.

Directions: 200m from Paddington Station which can be reached by Heathrow Express.

address : 170-172 Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park, London W2 1TP

More about Westpoint Hotel

by Marpessa

Has anyone stayed at the Westpoint Hotel (or Abbey Court Hotel)? Would you recommend it and is it reasonably priced? (49 pounds per night)

Comments