36 Carter Lane, London, EC4V 5AB, United Kingdom

YHA London St Pauls
Agoda.com Booking.com Hostelworld.com

• amiulysses's Profile Photo

Great Location, Terrible Smell

Overall, the facilities were fine. We were on a floor with only one other room to share a bathroom and shower with so it was perfect! It's open 24/7 which got rid of the stress of having to be in on time. The staff was generally nice except for the cleaning service which barged into our room one morning when most of us were asleep and told us that we weren't suppose to be there even though we had two more nights. Even after they were corrected by the front desk they continued to be rude to me and my half asleep friends. The restaurant is pricey and not worth it and there is no open access kitchen.
    The worst thing was the unbelievable smell in our room from the moment we walked in to the moment we left it was there. We opened the windows and got air freshner but nothing worked.
    Watch out for the St. Paul's bells too that ring every fifteen minutes. I actually liked it and learned to tell the difference between all the bells but some people might not.
    I would recommend it based on the amazing location.

Unique Quality: Amazing location. Less than a minute to St. Paul's cathedral which is on the route of all hop-on-hop-off bus tours! We had a two day pass on The Original London Tour it could not have been more convenient.
    The Millennium Bridge is a less than three minute walk which makes it a four minute walk to the Globe Theatre and Tate Museum.

• itismymouse's Profile Photo

YHA Hostel London

Staying in YHA St Paul 4 days, the location is not so good except very behind St Paul's Cathedral. It needs to take Tube to other attractions, so for saving the one day pass of Tube is necessary.

• Quiet, Well-Maintained Hostel in City

This hostel was perfectly located for seeing a show at the Globe and having to leave out on a train from Liverpool Street the next day, which is why I chose it. I thought it was a decent place to stay, comparatively cleaner than other hostels in London, with the quality expected from a YHA hostel. It is in the City, which means that there is activity during the day with the businessmen out and about, but it is relatively quiet at night and on the weekends, so it's not going to be near a hub of activity for the tourist. There is, however, more than one Tube and bus line operating nearby, so it's not difficult to get where you would like to go. Breakfast is included, which is a plus. There also seemed to be plenty of WCs and showers.

Unique Quality: As I understand, this building used to be the Choir Boys School for St. Paul's. St. Paul's is basically right around the corner. The Millenium Bridge and thus the Tate Modern and Globe are a short walk away.

Directions: In the City. From Blackfriars Tube Stop, turn right onto Queen Victoria Street, take second left onto St. Andrew's Hill, Carter Lane is at the top, turn right for hostel entrance.

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Good YHA Hostel

This hostel, located in the former Choir Boys School for St Pauls Cathedral, makes a good place to explore London from. You are about 100 meters from St. Pauls and its accompanying subway line so access to everything is easily accessible. Prices when I was there (1995) was 15 pounds. It's at least 10 pounds more today.

• psyche327's Profile Photo

cheap lodging in london? yes!

bare bones hostel, but how much time are you going to spend inside the room when london awaits, right? we shared the room with 2 other women who where always asleep when we got to the room and we were mortified to wake them up but watcha gonna do? the price was 49.20 pounds for 2 nights, the room has 4 beds one mirror and one washbasin. bathrooms at the end of the hall were nice and clean, we never had to wait in line.

Unique Quality: on the inside, it looks like a maze. apparently the hostel has been expanding over the years by incorporating nearby buildings and now you need a map to get from the lobby to your room, to the cafeteria, to the bathrooms. there's free breakfast every morning (or so i was told, i slept through it); necessities (like towels and soap) are sold at the front desk. it's a 5 minute walk to st. paul's cathedral and the nearest tube station. if the short, fat guy behind the front desk who works the nightshift volunteers advice do not listen to him, he'll screw you big.

• scotlandscotour's Profile Photo

Reliable Budget Accommodation

I am tired of paying for hotels and being kept awake by traffic - so I now use hostels. - the city ones will still be noisy - but check out below - these places are quiet and a fraction of the price!!!

What are hostels? Read this Hostel Information I wrote to explain, since hostels in the UK are a bit special.

See YHA Hostels and check out City Hostel at St Pauls - great location and quiet!!! Amazing value.

Unique Quality: If a really quiet night is needed and rest from city life - check out the small country hostels on the Outskirts of London, like Epping Forest or Tanners Hatch - very quiet, with bird song, trees, and good company. Only 2 miles from a tube station.

With two days in London soon, flying in / out Gatwick Airport, rather than pay mega bucks or stay in noisy places we are staying in the quiet country setting of Holmbury St. Mary in Surrey.

This delightful Youth Hostel costs 11 pounds per person, a night and my wife and I get a private room.

WOW - a hostel to the south of London, between Gatwick Airport and the city centre, in the Surrey countryside. We can travel into the city on day passes and explore the sites - then come "home" to peace and quiet, cook our own supper (I am a chef) and in the morning it is easy to reach the Airport again by a bus and express train.

If you like peace and quiet but want to be able to explore London, check out these cheapand quiet hostels - money cannot buy this sort of idylic charm!!!

www.yha.org.uk/hostel/hostelpages/89.html

*TO SEE THE HYPERLINKS IN THE TEXT YOU MAY HAVE TO GO TO THE TIP ON MY LONDON PAGE*

• kressley's Profile Photo

Handy London hostel for the Eurostar

I find this hostel great for me as it is close to the Blackfriars tube station and hence close to Waterloo station - very convenient for those early morning Eurostar trips. Also has a great full English breakfast included in the price!!

Directions: Catch tube to Blackfriars station - exit station at exit 10 and cross the road and turn right. You'll then see the HI sign to follow. (Approx 5 min walk)

• Quiet and Far from Activities

I stayed here on my first night in Europe. I initially had a single. Overall it the experience was good. It was very quiet, which is nice for some people. I was traveling by myself, so I would have preferred a hostel with a more hospitable atmosphere for meeting people.

This hostel is located in the business district of London. So after ~5-6PM, the place clears out! Most shops close down. Somewhat of a drawback. Look elsewhere if this bothers you.

Very clean inside. Interesting stacking of bunk beds. Triples are bunked perpendicular to each other as they go up.

A good hostel nonetheless. I recommend looking in Lonely Planet for others around if the above hostel does not suit your taste.

Unique Quality: Quiet and far from activities. Very near St. Paul's Cathedral - a must visit. Even if you are not Catholic!

If you have one of those YHA cards this will come in handy. Don't quote me but this may entitle you to a discount. Honestly, I stayed at very few YHA hostels on my trip. I wanted the option to stay where I felt was best, not just for the good deal.

Additionally, you might want to book this hostel in advance as it supposedly fills up quite fast. I booked this hostel about one month in advance as I was preparing to go when I was still in the US.

Directions: Very near St. Paul's Cathedral, an extremely ornate and beautiful church.

• mjmarble's Profile Photo

City of London YHA Hostel

Unique Quality: Decent food, constantly busy, great mix of people, internet access (for a fee of course), bunk beds, relatively inexpensive. One of the better run and better kept hostels I've stayed in. It's one major flaw was limited locker space for backpacks.

Directions: Picture is from their website.

Business district of London, within a block of St. Paul's Cathedral.

Comments