York Hotel London

27 - 28 Philbeach Gardens, London, SW5 9EA, United Kingdom

• Cozy and cheap

Location is good as it is located just a minute walk from Earls' Court underground station. Just across the road from this guesthouse and you will find various shops from supermarkets, eateries and electrical stores. Rooms come with bath and cooking facilities. However, the room I was staying in had a broken toilet door. Apart from that, the stay was ok. Not much to complain about with that price in the heart of London.

Unique Quality: Cooking facilities in the room.

Directions: From Earls' Court underground, take Warwick Road exit and turn right. Philbeach Gardens is on your left.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Avoid at all costs

I can't describe my stay as I did not stay there as it turned out. They cancelled my booking because my credit card had been stopped when I was robbed in Rome a week or so earlier. They found this out when they tried to pre-authorsie the credit card payment the day before. Mind you I had stayed at a number of hotels between the robbery and my arrival in London and my bookings all proceeded as normal even though they knew the card had been stopped. It happens all the time. The Hotel York did not bother to contact me which they could easily have done as they had my email address and my mobile phone number. They saw a great opportunity to profiteer as it was Wimbledon week and they knew that they could get a lot more for the rooms than they would be getting from us as we had booked many months earlier. The desk clerk/manager showed no compassion and tried to blame venere.com for the cancellation. When I contacted venere.com they assured me that the hotel had contacted them and told them that I had cancelled personally. This was an unmitigated lie! We ended up having to share a room that was no bigger than a dog box in Paddington for four times the price! The worst part was that travel insurance does not cover this sort of expense and with the exchange rate between the Aust. dollar and the GBP being what it is, the experience cost me dearly.

Unique Quality: The desk clerk was rude and totally uncompassionate to our plight. He quite literally left us out in the rain (it was pelting at the time) with nowhere to go and didn't care a fig! I cannot find words strong enough to describe how we were treated. I have today, checked the venere.com site and am delighted to see that the reviews in the past twelve months since I was there have been for the most part really bad. I am not the only person to find this place disgusting for a number of reasons. So I guess the good part is that I didn't have to stay in what is obviously a dump of the highest order. Not that the one we ended up staying in (the Hotel Royal Eagle in Paddington) was much better, but at least the staff were courteous and helpful.

Directions: Earl's Court

More about York Hotel London

Victoria Embankment Park

by irisbe

Victoria Embankment Gardens is a nice tiny green lung of Public Park by the Thames. It was created in the late nineteenth century along with the construction of the Embankment.
It exists out of a garden with grass parts on which some you are allowed to sit and others you cannot walk on; a cafeteria with terrace where you can have a drink
In Summer time it houses open-air concerts.

Inside the park you will notice different statues of notable British citizens. One of them is the Scottish poet Robert "Rabbie" Burns 1759 - 1796. A poet with a very turbulent social life, very succesful in writing but also in seducing women and making children `-)

The water gate at the northwest corner, constructed in 1626 as the triumphal entry to the Thames for the Duke of Buckingham, is probably the main historical feature of the garden. This water gate was part of York House that was the home to the Archbishops of York, before becoming the Duke's residence.
The Watergate is still in its original position, but because of the embankment of the Thames, hence the name of the park; it is now 330 feet distance from the edge of the river.

Victoria Embankment Gardens

by riorich55

On our 2nd day in London we had originally planned on taking a boat down (or is it up) the Thames River to the Tower of London. However taking our first London bus ride down to the Embankment area to catch the boat we were a little past the time to catch the morning commuter boats. This actually turned to our advantage as we walked a bit along the Thames and came across this lovely little area. Now a little guide book information.

Located on Villiers Street in London WC2 this narrow strip of public park by the Thames was created in the late-19th century with the construction of the Embankment.

The gardens have many statues of notable British citizens, including the Scottish poet Robert Burns.

"The main historical feature of the gardens is the water gate at its north west corner, built in 1626 as the triumphal entry to the Thames for the Duke of Buckingham. The water gate was part of York House, which once stood on the site, the home to the Archbishops of York, before becoming the Duke's residence. Although the water gate is in its original position, because of the embankment of the Thames, it is now 330 feet from the edge of the river."

In the summer the gardens host a season of open-air concerts.

Across the road, at the edge of the Thames, stands Cleopatra's Needle which if you study the first picture really hard you can see in the upper right hand corner peaking above the foliage.

Comments