York Hotel London

Backpacking Singles Road Trip

Cozy and cheap

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 2, 2008

Location is good as it is located just a minute walk from Earls' Court underground station. Just across the road from this guesthouse and you will find various shops from supermarkets, eateries and electrical stores. Rooms come with bath and cooking facilities. However, the room I was staying in had a broken toilet door. Apart from that, the stay was ok. Not much to complain about with that price in the heart of London.

Unique Quality: Cooking facilities in the room.

Directions: From Earls' Court underground, take Warwick Road exit and turn right. Philbeach Gardens is on your left.

Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Avoid at all costs

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 11, 2008

I can't describe my stay as I did not stay there as it turned out. They cancelled my booking because my credit card had been stopped when I was robbed in Rome a week or so earlier. They found this out when they tried to pre-authorsie the credit card payment the day before. Mind you I had stayed at a number of hotels between the robbery and my arrival in London and my bookings all proceeded as normal even though they knew the card had been stopped. It happens all the time. The Hotel York did not bother to contact me which they could easily have done as they had my email address and my mobile phone number. They saw a great opportunity to profiteer as it was Wimbledon week and they knew that they could get a lot more for the rooms than they would be getting from us as we had booked many months earlier. The desk clerk/manager showed no compassion and tried to blame venere.com for the cancellation. When I contacted venere.com they assured me that the hotel had contacted them and told them that I had cancelled personally. This was an unmitigated lie! We ended up having to share a room that was no bigger than a dog box in Paddington for four times the price! The worst part was that travel insurance does not cover this sort of expense and with the exchange rate between the Aust. dollar and the GBP being what it is, the experience cost me dearly.

Unique Quality: The desk clerk was rude and totally uncompassionate to our plight. He quite literally left us out in the rain (it was pelting at the time) with nowhere to go and didn't care a fig! I cannot find words strong enough to describe how we were treated. I have today, checked the venere.com site and am delighted to see that the reviews in the past twelve months since I was there have been for the most part really bad. I am not the only person to find this place disgusting for a number of reasons. So I guess the good part is that I didn't have to stay in what is obviously a dump of the highest order. Not that the one we ended up staying in (the Hotel Royal Eagle in Paddington) was much better, but at least the staff were courteous and helpful.

Directions: Earl's Court

1 Photo of York Hotel London

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Buckingham Palace
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Souvenirs
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Airports
Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Tourist Traps
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Portobello Market / Notting Hill
Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Brick Lane
Architectural
Food and Drink
Parks and Gardens
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Arts and Entertainment