base2stay Kensington

The Nadler Kensington
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Well Executed Concept

We stayed at Base-2-Stay Kensington for 4 nights on the 2nd leg of a summer leisure trip. It was an ideal accomodation for independent travelers: equipped with bar sink, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and free wi-fi; and convenient to 2 metro stations, several bus lines, and 2 neighborhood parks. The entire staff, from on-line and telephone reservations, to front desk, has obviously received quality training, which shows in every aspect of the operation.

Unique Quality: The Base-2-Stay is located 1 block from the Earl's Court Metro station which is on a direct line to/from Heathrow Airport, and is luggage friendly, althought the station elevator ("lift" in localese) is due to be out of service for several weeks follwing our visit. Also, if you take the Light Rail Express train from Heathrow (rather than the Metro), you will have to change to the Metro for Earl's Court at Paddington station, which is non-luggage friendly. The hotel is very well maintained, and clean throughout. (A maintenance person was even "touching-up" the trim paint around the front door.) While some might miss an on-site restaurant, the Base-2-Stay furnishes in-room, brew-your-own coffees and teas, and the rooms are outfitted so as to enable guests to shop nearby for fresh fruit, juice, wine, cheese, pastries, etc., and spend money elsewhere than on overpriced hotel breakfasts. Nearby, for the Ameri-nostalgic or over-dosed on bangers and mash, are a Starbucks, Burger King, and KFC.

Directions: Kensington, 1 block from the Earl's Court Metro station on the Picadilly and District Lines.

• sunchasers's Profile Photo

Earl's Court Accommodation

After reading an article in the NY Times, I opted to try a recenlty opened hotel in London. As anyone who has been to London knows, accommodation is hit or miss and almost always rather pricey. This hotel advertises as a simple, 'no frills' hotel, yet despite it's relatively cheap price (£80 single, £90 double) it is a very good hotel option if you are looking to stay in the West End (especially considering many other, much older and dilapidated hotels run at the same price).

Unique Quality: Highlights include:
    1. Cleanliness (was opened in Sept. 2006) - you can still smell the newness of the paint and carpet
    2. It's quiet yet conveniently located to Earl's Court tube station and nearby restaurants. The building is on a quiet side street away from traffic noise.
    3. Free internet access from the flatscreen t.v. in your hotel room
    4. Build in kitchenette in each room (microwave, water cooker, plates and utensils, sink and refridgerator)
    5. Overall condition is quite good - new faucets so shower works well, new tiles in bathroom, etc.

Directions: 3-5 minute walk from Earl's Court tube station

More about base2stay Kensington

The one to experience -Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Tomlin11

The best hotel I have ever stayed in. Very helpful and professional staff, cleaned ac rooms, massive lcd screens, power showers and well looked after.

I stayed with my girlfriend and we were really satisfied with the whole experience. Everything is just perfect. Thanks to everyone working at base2stay. You make us feel special.

I will definitely recommend your hotel to all my friends, work colleaques and family here in Germany

Love this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member alleycat99

I stayed at this hotel for 1 week in August.
I would like to highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in London.
The rooms are excellent and the staff are very courteous and helpful.
During my stay I was particularly impressed with Laura the receptionist. She was very polite and went out of her way to help me with any queries I had. She is a huge asset to the running of this hotel.

I will have no hesitation whatsoever in using this hotel again.
Thanks again to Base2Stay for making my stay in London a very enjoyable experience.

Absolutely Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member Aliwoo

From the point of booking to the point of checking out, Base2Stay was absolutely perfect.

Arrived to find my room was not yet ready...rather than keeping me waiting, they upgraded me!

My room was immaculate, fresh, very modern and very comfy and airconditioned.

Massive plasma tv on the wall with free internet access. Comfy bed linen, spotless and might I add, spacious bathroom.

Doors all have electronic locks, you feel very safe and secure.

Very friendly staff

Can't report about the food as I didn't eat there. I did make full use of the kitchenette however which was alovely addition. You are provided with a sink, kettle, hot drinks, cutlery and plates etc,.. I feel I must reiterate the cleanliness of the room and the hotel in general!

I've already booked to stay again, once in August and later in September.

10/10

Expected better

by TripAdvisor Member jlmcc13

I stayed at Base2Stay for a total of 6 nights at the end of June beginning of July 2006. I had booked the reservation directly over the phone with the hotel and had reserved a large double room with bathtub and was assured by the reservationist that this would not be a problem.

On my arrival I was informed that the large double roomsI had a reservation for had a "problem with the lock on the door--keycard" which couldn't be fixed until the following morning so I was going to be upgraded to a larger room. Much to my suprise, when I was signing for the deposit (this hotel holds a deposit amount against your credit card for the total amount of your stay, but does not charge it until check-out) I realized that I was being charged for the larger upgraded room which was more than 75 pounds more than my original reservation.

Naturally I refused to pay this amount and the clerk kept repeating over and over that the room I was being upgraded to was worth more and I would have to pay. Only after 10 minutes of discussion and a manager's involvement was the extra charge taken off my bill and I was told I could stay in the bigger room for the lower price and that I would be moved to my original reservation size the next day.

The upgraded room was large (albeit with twin beds) but was right underneath reception and extremely loud. I could hear every footstep and even the music being played in reception. Also, the dirty sheets and towels are taken out of the hotel by delivery staff at around 7 am right outside the window of this room.

Later that night, a different manager told me the hotel was full and actually admitted to me that there was no problem with any locks at all but that they had overbooked the hotel. While I understand the problems of overbooking since I stay in hotels around 40 days a year and travel quite a bit, I didn't appreciate the lock "story".

The next day I was moved to a room that was in the basement. There was a lift downstairs but then to reach the block of rooms, I had to go up a flight of eight steps with my 2 suitcases. I later realized why as the rooms on this level are on a half floor and in all of these room (about 10 or so) the ceilings are literally about 7 1/2 feet high. Thank goodness I am short and I was staying alone as the room was the size of a closet and there was only 1 1/2 feet around the bed--and only a shower in the bathroom. Turns out a large double is a small room with two twin beds pushed together to make a king (and you can feel the crack between them when you roll over!) bed--in other words, large refers to the bed, not the room size. If I had known this, I would have stayed in a regular double.

I think the reservation staff needs to explain this when people are booking their reservation. Also the reservation staff should say that room types, sizes, and bathroom requests are not guaranteed.

Since I was staying almost a week and felt a bit claustrophobic with ceilings low enough for me to reach up and touch with my hand, I asked about moving and was told the hotel was full. The person at the desk was a bit rude and actually told me that since I was travelling alone, that my request was low priority which shocked me. I think I would not have minded the situation (I know London rooms are typically tiny and the hotel's cleanliness and location was appealing) if the hotel staff had been more upfront and honest to begin with. Considering they had overbooked in the first placeand forced me to move after one night , I would have thought that they would have been a little more helpful and considerate and I was suprised at their lack of customer service.

However, I know the hotel is relatively new and perhaps these problems are only teething pains and I hope it will improve. There are definately some good points about this hotel that set it apart from other hotels in London .

1. The rooms are incredible clean
2. Flat screen t.v--o.k. only a few channels but who comes to London to watch tv.
3. Kitchenette cupboard with fridge and sink and dishes which were replaced everyday--very convenient and helpful for long stays. As other people have mentioned no tea or coffee but easy to buy your own.
4. Location superb--2 blocks from Earl's Court Tube station with M&S food, restaurants, internet, post office, laundry, etc.
5. Endless supply of hot water
6. Airconditioning new and strong!

People should just be aware
1. Rooms very small and ceilings might be low
2. The doors are very loud and slam shut so VERY loud at 7-8 am.
3. There are lifts but you might have a flight or two of stairs anyway and there is no help with baggage.
4.Room key card controls air conditioning and electricty so when you are not in your room (increasingly common in London hotels), the airconditioning and heat are not on and it is not possible to get an extra key card. Fortunately it works fast.
5. Checkout is listed on the key card information as 10:00 am but on the website as 11:00 am and desk staff unclear about which time.

After my stay at Base2Stay I travelled around England for three weeks and then came back to London for an 8 day stay. I chose to stay somewhere else as frankly I did not want to have to go through such a struggle to get a room with a normal ceiling.

A lot of bang for your buck

by TripAdvisor Member martin_wong

Rooms are neat and tidy, large size rooms (OK I was in the large double room but it is still big - for that price in London) and very nicely equipped: have everything you need, skipped everything you don't. (Plasma tv, microwave, they even have a wall socket for Europe plug in addition to standard UK sockets). Yes do check out the power shower, and the air conditioning is excellent (oh boy you would need at for this summer of 2006).

No replenishment of tea / coffee is a letdown. Please. Can't be such a big deal, can it?

PS there was actually a small problem with our booking, where our original room was not available for some technical reasons (never know what that was). Management called two days before check-in and arranged booking at an alternative (inferior) hotel (we didn't pay up front, so no complaints per se for putting us in a worse hotel). On the plus side kudos for responding in time so that we are not stranded in London. Sadly, on the flip side had to stay in a hotel even further out of town which wasn't as good.

Well, if you like a tiny room thats largely a bunk bed..

by TripAdvisor Member elizabeth_jane

I was promised 'cutting edge technology' 'an evolution in services' 'new concept, new price' in the publicity.

I GOT a single room that was largely a BUNK BED (with a play console) - for 80 quid - when I complained they said it was an upgrade so heaven knows what size a regular single room would be. It was all quite nicely appointed but small - with mini kitchen which I suppose is handy as there is nowhere decent to eat round Earls Court. You also have to pay a pre-payment of £100 on top of the fee - which delays getting away in the morning - what delayed getting INTO the room was the electronic card that I had to take back and change several times before it actually worked

It was OK (staff were reasonably friendly) but ....small as I said and there are better deals in London.

Cool, Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member RonFraser

What can I say. Coming from Oslo Norway, we were so used to high standards that we didnt know what to expect. But we read tripadvisor and decided to take a chance that it was rated nr3. And we werent dissappointed. It was all everyone said and more. Good service (but lacked the english sense of humour - then again thats because none were english behind the reception). Rooms (we had 2) were little on the small side but very high standard and very clean. The kids (teenagers) loved it but even they had problems with the computer/tv (even the staff admitted that it wasnt user friendly. The area (Earls Court) was clean vibrant and friendly with easy access to transport and quick in to central London.

Service could do better

by TripAdvisor Member keivi

We had a reservation for 5 nights for a standard double room, on the '5 nights for the price of 4' offer for August, booked directly at the hotel.

The reservation was initially to start on the 10 August, but had to be shifted to start on the 12 Aug because of British Airways cancelling our flight, something that seemed to cause a lot of confusion to the staff when it came to calculating what we had to be charged.

Upon arrival, we were informed that a deposit of GBP100 had to be pre-authorised, so I willingly signed the receipt. Later in our room, was when I realised that the receipt not only included the deposit, but also the amount of 6 nights (!), whereas we were to be charged for 4 nights for our stay. When asking at the reception, and looking into our booking, we were told this was only pre-authorisation so the correct amount of 4 nights would be charged on checkout. She also informed us that a seperate invoice could be issued for the cancellation fee for the original booking, so that we could claim that money from BA.

We were lucky because we got a first-floor room, very airy with a lovely view to the trees of the back gardens of a row of terraced houses. The room was very small (after you leave your baggage there is hardly 30 cm space around the bed to move around), but as this was mentioned by all other reviewers we were prepared for it. The bathroom was fresh and spacious though, with a strong power shower, so that was comfortable. The much touted free internet though was a real pain in the knickers. I mean, literally, user-un-friendly. Good news is there's some very cheap internet cafes 1min from the hotel, so we used those.

However, during our stay we found we had to ask to get some basics which should not have to be an issue. Lots of small things/mistakes, but when these add up and you have to continuously ask, it becomes frustrating.

On day 2, the travelling-sized (50ml or so) bottle of shower gel which was half empty by then was not replaced, and neither was it replaced on day 3 when it was completely empty. So we had to ask to be replaced.

On day 2 the toilet roll was running out, but it was not replaced, so after careful use of the remaining paper, we had to leave a note on the following day to make sure we get some more.

The toilet brush was broken from the beginning, and not changed even when we let reception know, so we also had to leave a note for that eventually.

We had to ask for a second keycard, which was promptly given, but after a while didn't work. We had it fixed at the reception but then the other one stopped working!

Despite the room folder stating sheets and pillowcases are changed every third day, we had to ask to be changed on the fourth day (i.e. after 4 nights) and yet the fitted sheet was clearly not changed.

Check-out time, and this time we were given a bill for 5 nights (!) instead of 4. We had to explain once again that we have booked the '5 for 4 offer', at which point we were told that the 5th night stood for the cancellation fee. After a senior staff was called, the 5th night was taken out, and when we asked for a separate invoice for the cancellation fee so that we can claim that money back from BA, we were assured that no cancellation fee had been charged. Which was not true, as we discovered when checking the bank records back home.

Overall, the hotel's recent refurbishment, modern style and location are strong points, but due to those problems adding up together with the very limited space of the room, we felt we will try somewhere else next time we are in London.

Still waiting to see if the cancellation fee will be sorted out and if the correct amount will finally be charged to our account.

Stay away!

by TripAdvisor Member 2runner

I had a booking made through bookings.com at a rate of GBP 76.00. Upon arrival I was told that bookings.com cancelled my reservation but they would have a room left at GBP 135.00 which was supposed to be a superior room. It turned out to be a standard room. After I found out that bookings.com had not cancelled my reservtion. Now I have to run for my money. A total rip-off. Stay away!

Pod Hotels - anyone stayed in one in London?

by melanieca

I've been reading about the "pod hotel" trend in cities and find it intriguing. Looking for some "real" feedback from those who may have stayed in these types of hotels. In particular, Hotel CityStay or easyhotel or base2stay hotel in London. Thanks in advance!

Comments