The Buck Hotel Guest House

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Richmond

more flowersmore flowers

Tidy sideboard:-)Tidy sideboard:-)

The 'Hole in the Wall' pub.The 'Hole in the Wall' pub.

Deer, Richmond Park, Richmond, UK.Deer, Richmond Park, Richmond, UK.

Great things to do and see

by scarlettnichole

My cousin and I are having our annual "girls trip" in England this March. We are planning on staying in Kent, but I wanted to check out Richmond also. I see there are quite a few who have posted some great tips, but too many for me to read all through. So, yes, I'm taking the easy way to find out some great info. I am wondering if some of you could advise me on great places to visit, shops(of course, I am a woman!), restaurants, parks, and anything else you may consider a fun thing to do! Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

by Britannia2

Where are you staying in Kent?

by scarlettnichole

My cousin owns a timeshare and she said it lookes as if we will be staying at the Broome Park Mansion. This is subject to change within the week.

by film

That is near Dover, you will need a taxi. Quite a long haul to Richmond by train. In and out of London Waterloo, 2.5 to 3 hours.

by Britannia2

You will need to go Dover to London Victoria or Charing Cross then Tube to Waterloo and a train to Richmond - as the previous poster said quite a journey.
There are some good pages here on VT but we have two and you must check out Richmond in Surrey not Richmond in Yorkshire.

by film

I disagree. As a Londoner I often go to Richmond for a day out of town. The walk along the River is wonderful, the Park is pretty and very large, it is nice to cycle around it. The galleries and shops on Richmond Hill. A glass of wine over looking the Thames in an art deco Hotel bar is very relaxing. There is the theatre, plenty of restaurants and bars and the shopping is good. When it is fine, hanging out in the riverside pubs is very popular.

For history, a walk by the river to Ham House.

However for a shopping trip, I would suggest that London and the boutiques of the Kings Road would be better.

by scarlettnichole

Thanks. It sounds like Richmond is a nice place. I may try to see if we can't just get a place in between Richmond and London. She has several places in which we can choose from, maybe we can find one on the list.

Travel Tips for Richmond

Snowy day in Richmond-06/04/08

by diosh

I was told by a friend, via email, this morning that we'd had quite a snowfall. I hadn't even drawn my curtains, so hadn't noticed!
I got my camera and went out to photograph the scene, really early, at 8.30.a.m.!
Knowing English weather- I thought it would've disappeared by lunchtime!

Richmond is easily reached by rail from Waterloo. The famous, Old Deer Park, (not to be confused with Richmond Park- up the Hill), is adjcent to the river. It runs along side the Chertsey Road,A316, down to the river.
It was originally part of the Duke of Northumberland's estate, which took in, also, Syon Park, further along the river towards Brentford.

The Red Deer and the Fallow Deer of the park

by Jenniflower

The two deer species are the Red Deer and the Fallow Deer, and there are about 650 of them, roaming in the park at any given time.

They seem to stay away from eachother, the two herds.

If we'd like to see the Red Deer we usually drive up past Isabella Plantation (from Lancaster Gate) and keep to that side of the park, and we will probably see them there.

To see the Fallow Deer is easier as they keep to a more central spot within the park, down the main roadway, towards Richmond Gate.

Victoria Place

by Jenniflower

This street of houses is in central Richmond.

It is called Victoria Place.

They are quaint, cute and are near to everything! We have often wondered as we were walking by what they must cost.

Apparently they dont cost very much as they are almshouses, and are for the sickly and poor... thanks to VT'er diosh for this info!

Mushrooms and toadstools!

by Jenniflower

Yet another sign with a warning.

The tree here is quite well protected for various reasons. To protect it from being knocked by a passing car (it is located next to a car park).

I would think, as it is a young tree, that they would like to keep it ‘hands and vandal-free’ till it’s older too, hence the wood protection.

This sign warns people not to take the local mushrooms and toadstools.

It being a National Park, these types of conservation laws are crucial in its sustainability, even if it seems like a small and seemingly inconsequential thing.

Richmond May Fair

by sue_stone

Every year in May Richmond holds a fair, which takes over the large, grassy Richmond Green. The whole town turns out, along with the surrounding areas, to make this one of the events of the year in this part of London.

The fair is filled with stalls set up by charities who are keen to raise funds and offer you a fun day out at the same time. There is a good selection of stalls selling bric-a-brac, crafts, and lots of cake stalls with homemade looking tempting treats.

My favourite stalls are the tombalas - where you pay money and select a number of tickets for a type of 'lucky dip'. If you draw a ticket with a number ending in 0 or 5 you will win a prize - and as most of the prizes this year were bottles of wine I was disappointed when I didn't win!

There are rides for the kids and sausage sizzles for the hungry. There is also a dog show which another VT'er is rumoured to have won one year - well, not her, but her dog of course!

Richmond Green, Richmond, TW9 1QQ