Middle Cottage

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 21 reviews
LateRooms Booking.com
planxty's Profile Photo

Award winning, and rightly so.

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 3, 2009

Update November 2011

Readers of my other pages know that I like to update my information whenever possible. I have to report that I stayed at Middle Cottage in late November 2011 and it remains as wonderful as ever. Still highly recommended.

Let's set scene first. It is the end of a long days work or sightseeing in London and you want to relax for a while. Imagine a beautifully appointed flat (apartment) furnished by two designers with an obvious eye for it. You go to your well-stocked fridge and get out a nice bottle of wine, then relax for a while in front of a plasma screen TV. If that doesn't appeal, perhaps you play one of a selection of games or choose a book from the well-stocked library.

Suitably refreshed, you may want to take a stroll along the lovely River Thames, literally a stone's throw away, or take a five minute walk into nearby Teddington village with it's large selection of pubs and restaurants. Indeed, if you don't want to walk for five minutes there are two decent pubs within one hundred yards.

After a night's sleep in an extremely comfortable bed and freshening up in an immaculate bathroom, imagine making your way downstairs where a friendly couple serve you an absolutely perfect breakfast before you make your way back into the hurly burly of daily life.

If you have imagined all this, you have just conjured up an image of Middle Cottage.

Really, I cannot speak highly enough of this place. I have stayed here several times now and it is superb. To call it a Bed and Breakfast does it a serious disservice, it is so much more than that. As I said Jon and Sarah, the proprieters, are both designers and it shows in the wonderful attention to detail evident in every facet of the place, from the decor to the little touches. Yes, the bottle of wine, in fact the entire minibar, is included in the price. At £95 for two people (£135 if you wish to accomodate a further 2 on the sofabed) it represents remarkable value, certainly much less than a local hotel would be, and the experience is so much more pleasant than even the plushest hotel room.

The title line of this tip refers to the fact that Middle Cottage has recently (December 2010) been awarded the title of Best Bed and Breakfast place in Britain by the prestigious Alastair Sawday organisation for the second year running. Well done to them and I think it tells you all you need to know about this place.

Before you ask, no I don't have a vested interest, you can check my other pages to realise that I try to give objective opinions. In fact, I was nearly not going to post this tip, wanting to keep it to myself but this place really does deserve to have full occupancy. Just try not to book when I want to go there!

Actually, the attached website gives a much better picture than I ever could. I recommend you have a look at it, and I guarantee you will be sold.

Unique Quality: There are almost too many unique qualities to mention. Great, quiet location, tasteful design, genuinely welcoming hosts. As I said in the main part of the tip, the attention to detail that makes the whole experience so special. It really is like spending a night at a friend's house.

Oh, I almost forgot the breakfasts. It is worth staying for breakfast alone! The very best of everything, mostly organic and ethical, beautifully cooked and served with a smile and a chat. The kids even pop in to say cheerio before they go off to school. It is outstanding.

Directions: Coming from the High Street, walk across the main road and carry on into Ferry Road, going towards the river. It is the second last cottage just before the footbridge.

Nearby Middle Cottage

2 Photos of Middle Cottage

View Professional Photos

Teddington Travel Forum

Need advice about Teddington, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Teddington and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Teddington hotel reviews

Lensbury
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Teddington
Excellent Italian
Restaurants
Friendly welcome, good food.
Restaurants