Britannia Country House

Palatine Road, Didsbury, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M20 8UF, United Kingdom

Britannia Country House Hotel
Expedia.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 21% less but rated 18% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

A little peace

A friend and I had a one night stay here as a friend's wedding reception was in the hotel and we didn't fancy the prospect of a taxi home in the wee small hours.

We shared a twin room; rooms are adequate and have good facilities including tea/coffee making facilities, usual toiletries provisions and TV.

The hotel itself has a unique layout and must be a joining up of a couple of previous buildings which can make getting to breakfast a bit of a trek.

The hotel also has a nightclub on the premises but it is not attached to the accommodation block so noise does not seem to be a problem.

The hotel itself is located with easy access to Manchester Airport and the city centre and has good public transport links to both.

Unique Quality: With its location in proximity to the Airport, the owner of this hotel has taken up a unique business opportunity and lets car parking space out to people wishing to leave their cars there whilst on holiday and provides a coach to the Airport. Whilst this may seem like a good idea, I would personally advise against this option. On the night of the wedding reception, 2 cars were broken into in the car park and the weekly record number of break-ins is 52!!! There was no evidence of security patrols in the car park areas (which are spread around quite a bit in a countryside park-like area) and the car parks themselves are set back from the main road and surrounded by trees.

The hotel has gym and spa facilities.

Directions: If coming from city centre, head straight out via Oxford Road and keep going straight (take left fork at Withington Village). The car parks are about 300m after the hotel on the right side of the road.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

Airport Hotel With Parking

This is another off aiirport hotel that I have used for staying overnight and then leaving the car when I have been flying from Manchester airport. Again, here you tend to leave your car and it won't have been moved elsewhere when you return from your trip. Transfers to the airport are by minibus. It is 4 miles from the airport and 6 miles from the city centre. The rooms are quite small and when I used this hotel we had to negotiate around our suitcases when we were in the room. The rooms seemed a bit on the cold and dark side (though I suppose it was the beginning of October when we stayed there).

If you have a wheelchair with you, make sure you ask for a ground floor room. In one of the lifts, I had to get my mum out of the chair and fold it up. At least she can do that, others are less fortunate.

Unique Quality: The hotel has its own leisure club and nightclub. It is set in some reasonably large grounds and so you can always walk off your evening meal by having a walk around them.

In the rooms there are tea and coffee making facilities and for me that ever important hairdryer

Directions: Just past junction 3 of M56 follow signs for A5103 Manchester, leave at Northenden/ Sale exit. Turn right and follow the road for about a mile (past the Britannia Airport Hotel). The hotel is on the left.

• caprice4u2's Profile Photo

Well you can always get a...

Well you can always get a fine cuppa at my house...

but, in terms of hotels, depends what you like, I would say that the Midland is the best,

it is quite expensive but the rooms are quite nice, the Piccadilly I dont rate,

The Palace is quite grand, but I find it a bit old fashioned, huge room with restaurante, piano playing etc, very high ceilings, vacuous nice , but not my thing.

If you want to venture South of Manchester the Britannia House hotel is ok,

near the quite cosmopolitan Didsbury (loads of Bars, little eateries), they have a gym etc, the rooms are basic, but its less expensive than town and there is good parking and you are away from the chaos in town.

There are also lots of bed and breakfast on Wilmslow road, running from Rusholme up to Didsbury, Cheap and cheerful.

Directions: Although beautiful in its own way, You might not want to stay here....

More about Britannia Country House

Don't be mislead by the nice picture...

by TripAdvisor Member superhols

PLEASE don't stay here!
I had the misfortune to be holed up in this dump for an entire week on a course in June. The staff on the main desk were ignorant; the much-touted gym and pool were minute, smelly and sweaty due to no air conditioning and crammed to bursting with non-residents.

There were no truly non-smoking bedrooms or floors, and as a result the smell of second-hand smoke hangs in the air at all times and gets into all your clothes.

Away from the main reception area, the decor was shabby, with threadbare carpets on the stairs.

The room I had was a decent size, but the decor was dated and although the bed linen was changed regularly the room itself needed a good scrubbing. I nearly even went out to Tescos one night to buy a scrubbing brush and bleach to do it myself!

We were kept awake most nights by noisy discos which went on until well after midnight.

The conference facilities themselves weren't bad, but unfortunately the breakfast, and lunch, and service at both, were absolutely appaulling. Two mornings in a row I was handed a half-finished pot of stewed tea and milk from someone else's table because the waiters were too busy to get a fresh one. Not what you expect for a 15 quid breakfast! The food itself was very poor, more often than not we had no idea what we were actually eating from the buffet as there were never any signs up.

To top it all off, I get my credit card bill this morning to find out they've double charged me :D

How do they get away with it? Because the majority of people that stay there, only stay one night before they fly off somewhere nicer, so they don't need to worry about repeat business.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, I beg you, don't stay here, or book a course or function here....by hitting them where it hurts (i.e. in the pocket) is the ONLY way they will get their act together!

HOTEL FROM HELL!

by TripAdvisor Member The-Smith-Family

DON'T STAY HERE! We booked in so we could get a good night sleep before our long flight to Florida. What a Joke! No-one told us that private functions would be held that same night and LOUD music would be playing till 2AM. The music was so loud that that furniture in our room moved to it! After a hour of this racket and numerous complaints to reception we were eventually moved to another room. However this room was above the reception area and was just as noisy with people coming and going especially when a big fight started! This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at and would not advise anyone to stay here.

it isnt the worst,theres' Britannia Stockport..!!

by TripAdvisor Member dooper

I refuse to beleive that this is the worst hotel in the world. It is surely the Britannia Stockport, Dialstone lane which should receive this accoldae though i agree perhaps their manchester hotels should all have the runner up places...

What a dump!

by TripAdvisor Member Jayne

Stayed here before our holiday flight in July. The road to the hotel had been closed by the police because of 'an incident' Wish we'd taken that as a warning and found somewhere else. When we eventually arrived the room was tatty, smelly and very hot. Our small window opened on to a flat roof with extractor units. We booked a family room, which turned out to be a lumpy double bed a matress on the floor and a settee base.

The car park was very busy, we were told to 'find your own space'. It was littered with broken glass, which does not exactly fill you with confidence when leaving your car for two weeks. The pizza restauarant was staffed by youngsters who struggled to speak English. We waited nearly an hour to be served with a simple pizza.

The bus to the airport ran from a 'bus stop' on a busy main road, which you had to drag your suitcases to. After finally arriving at our terminal ( as our luck would have it ours was last on the route) we were left at arrivals, not departures, totally lost.

We were given a timetable of return coaches, if you missed the 9.30 a.m. the next was 11.00 a.m. just what you want after a 10 hour transatlantic flight. Not forgetting the walk back to the hotel from the above mentioned bus stop.

Luckily we were only there for a few hours and can laugh about it now. Don't be fooled by the lovely photographs, find somewhere else!

don't use this hotel as they leave you stranded

we decided to stay at the Brittania country house hotel the night before we flew to Egypt.The hotel wasn't bad, although the decor clashed a bit. We we told that the bus for the airport ran from the hotel every hour, so we got up early and waited to board the bus. The bus was an old filthy transit van with seats and the luggage was put between the seats, not what you would expect. On our return to Manchester airport we waited for our luggage, and in the meantime we rang the hotel and asked if they could send the bus to pick us up to collect our car, they told us where to waite and there were another 2 couples waiting like us, only for the bus to drive past us. They wouldn't send the bus back for us we had to get a taxi which cost us 10 pounds, they hotel wouldn't pay for this, we were realy angry, between 3 couples it cost us 30 pounds. We had a three and a half hour drive after this, and i would never recomend anyone to use this hotel, as we paid for the bus servce and the car parking at the hotel in advance.

Avoid this hotel like the plague!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Betty66

Please heed all these reviews and don't stay at this hotel. We had the misfortune of staying here in July before a trip to Jamaica. The rooms were disgusting and my 5 year old descibed his bed as a "jailbed".
The bar was dirty and there were people sitting all over the floor because there were not enough chairs. When we tried to get some food for the kids we were told the restaurant was closed on Sundays
(maybe this was a blessing !!!!). We decided to get a taxi to the airport because we did not want to imagine what the coach would be like! Even if I got this hotel and parking for free I wouldn't put my family through that again!!

Pleasantly surprised - will return !

Had a surprisingly good stay - especially after reading these reviews. Hotel very busy but our rooms were clean & the staff friendly - it was value for money & we plan to stay again before Xmas !

Comments