Great John Street, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M3 4FD, United Kingdom
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Great John Street Hotel

Horrible hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member HotelFan06

Stayed here for business and it's like amateur hour for hotel management. First, broadband is available only in 1 hour increments. This nickel-and-dime approach is not only severely disruptive to anyone doing serious work, but is more like something I'd expect from a hotel run by Ryanair. Second, food is 3rd-rate pub grub. Overpriced (even for hotel standards) and the quality is just a step up from a ready meal. Third, service was unaccomadating.

If you're travelling for business in Manchester, stay at the Radisson: good location, good design, reliable broadband, attentive service, good restaurant/bar. The new Hilton could be promising as well.

The only nice part about Great John Street Hotel is the design. if you're looking for a leisure hotel to stay in, then avoid the staff & food, and leave your laptop at home to enjoy your stay.

The best hotel I've ever stayed in!

by TripAdvisor Member KGW

I'm really very surprised to read any negative comments about the Great John Street Hotel as we only have excellent things to say about it!

We stayed there on a couple of occasions and loved it so much - the hotel, the rooms, the service, the food and the staff - that we decided to get married there... and we even wish we'd spent a bit more our honeymoon there as well!

Many of our family and friends stayed over for the weekend and every one of them just loved everything about it.

Even those that weren’t lucky enough to enjoy the gorgeous bedrooms – that are spacious, unique, comfortable and very stylish... not to mention the delicious breakfast! - were talking about how great it was long after the wedding!

But it's not only a brilliant hotel. It also has a great bar and roof terrace, which is great for just a drink, a bite to eat and a fab view of Coronation Street!

I can only speak from my own experiences – and those of our friends and family! – but please don’t be put off by some of the reviews you’ve read here. We have had so many great times there that I’d hate to think of people missing out because of them.

I'd recommend anyone to give the Great John Street a go. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Not a five star hotel experience!

by TripAdvisor Member babs21

I was so excited about my romantic weekend away to the Great John Street Hotel but upon arrival was saddened to be greated by a rude receptionist.

The conceirge was lovely and chatty and safely parked our car.

Next we were taken to our room which was nice and clean but didnt have a wow factor. The bathroom however was fantastic, it was on a different level and nicely set out with the toilet in a seperate room however banged very loudly three times everytime you flushed it.! There were nice robes, slippers and a range of toiletries.

After a long afternoon shopping we retired to the hot top on the roof garden which was nice and extreamly enjoyable so dont forget your swim wear.

We then retired to our rom for some food, being coeliac i find eatting out difficult. I ordered a steak with no sauce and explained my allergy, always a safe choice for me. Service was reasonably quick but the steak was cold covered in sauce and i was advised not to eat the chips because they were unsure if i could eat them! For a five star i find this very dissapointing and extreamly unhelpful.

Upon leaving i was charged for the room twice, i did complain and was refunded for one of the payments but not the kind of service you expect in such a hotel.

All in all it was not the dreamy little holiday i hoped for and sadly wont go back again.

Awful

Don't stay here unless you want to be ripped off and experience how a hotel shouldn't be run. I can't believe it's rated No 3 in Manchester.

We stayed here for 3 nights and were charged £600 for the accommodation. When we checked in we were told this didn't include breakfast - when we booked we were told it did, however upon checking in were told (similarly to other reviews you'll read) that we must be mistaken and they were right.

Stayed here for my 30th birthday - 2 people tried to surprise us by phoning the hotel ordering champagne - on both occassions the bottles never made it from reception to our room. Given how quiet the hotel was I would have thought that might have been fairly straightforward.

I burnt my hand on a broken standing fan in our room with a burnt out motor - I was told I shouldn't have touched it....... Was hoping I migh have been able to turn it on given there was no air conditioning.

There is substantial building work on the site 2 feet from the rear elevation to the rear - we were "upgraded" to one of these rooms.

Had breakfast and 2 staff stood 6 feet away furiously criticising other members of staff.

There is a large roof terrace - if you want a drink though you need to go 3 storeys down to the bar - if you manage to find any staff behind the bar you'll discover that they won't bring them up. The outdoor hot tub was permanently covered over and icy cold. When I asked if it was ever turned on I was told to take the plastic cover off and do it myself....... Looks eally nice in the photos though.

For the champagne debacle I was offered compensation of £50. After complaining and getting a very condescending email from the hotel manager (which i'm happy to share !!) I got bored.

Guess what - I would never stay here again due to the attitude of the staff and lack of any customer service.

Needless to say i'm still waiting for the promised £50 compensation to be paid - maybe it's hiding behind the 2 bottles of champagne.....

Like a very posh Fawlty Towers!

by TripAdvisor Member SmithBristol

We stayed here as part of a wedding party in August 06. First let me say that this is a stunning hotel. It was refurbushed just over a year ago at a cost of £3.5m, and you can see where the money went.

All the facilities, decor etc are great, and our room (18) was the most luxurious I've ever stayed in, with a massive bed, steam room, 2 baths, etc etc.

HOWEVER, the hotel is let down by the service. We got the impression that most of the staff had never worked in a hotel before the weekend we were there, and they hadn't really figured out what to do. One exception I must mention was Jocinta (I think), who coordinated things for the wedding, and worked amazingly hard for about a 20 hour day doing her best to make everything right.

It's all the little things that cause irritation. We'd had a room booked for us on the Saturday night as part of the wedding, and had phoned the hotel direct to book for the Friday as well. When we arrived, they had no record of our booking. We were then shown to a room that wasn't ready, and had to wait for 40 mins in the bar.

Newspapers that we'd requested never turned up, the bar staff didn't seem to know about the drinks they offered (I had to point out to them a bottle of port on their shelf, after they'd claimed they didn't have any!), and then they have the cheek to add 10% service charge to your bar bill, which incidentally they never got right first time on any round I bought.

None of these things are earth shattering, and I personally found them quite comical rather than really annoying, but for the price you pay to stay here (and at £4 a pint of beer, £6.70 for a G&T and £16.50 for breakfast), you'd expect them to get this kind of thing right.

Could be amazing

by TripAdvisor Member SELECTASPACE

I stayed here on a last minute business trip. Location is great, right near the Corrie set at Granada TV. Hotel is situated in a renovated school house with the usual contemporary designer touches, with cool bar. Rooms are amazing, though it seems that I got the last room available (room 12), which was at the front of the hotel, and the soundproofing wasn't that much cop - so I got to hear every comin and going throughout the evening. Ate in the bar and the food was very good and was delivered quickly.

The main fault I found with this hotel, was that service was a little patchy especially at check in and check out. The guy took ages to do anything. Also got a 7.30 alarm call at 7.45 ! This hotel is great for a weekend shopping/leisure trip in manchester with the missus, but for business, I'm afraid the Lowry still gets my top vote.

Gorgeous Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CatBow

Really gorgeous boutique hotel. Staff at reception were friendly, very helpful even though there was a wedding going on. Room was beautiful - first time I've seen a roll-top bath actually in the bedroom! Shower room was perfect too. The only small fault would be when we went for a drink in the lovely hotel bar, ordered 2 G&Ts, the young barman had to ask us what the T stood for, and then proceeded to charge us almost £15 for the two drinks - took our breath away in the wrong way!
Apart from this the staff were great, even going to check if the hot-tub was free for us at some point in the early hours of the morning! Would highly recommend it, something really special in the heart of Manchester.

Staff are horrendous!

by TripAdvisor Member BarneyMairead

This hotel is beautiful - with lots of quirky decoration, the rooms are out of this world and have been given lots of thought & attention to detail & design, the food was ok and the location is superb, sadly it is let down by the staff who are rude/snooty/in your face - you feel like you are being watched all the time and that they judge people - they have NO manners and are too busy chatting between themselves - when you do manage to interupt them they look at you with the eyes of the devil! When we were sat in the playground bar area we were watching a guy clean outside - he proceeded to walk over to the hot tub & spit in it! nice.....I would recommend staying in a diferent hotel because as nice as the rooms are - you are not made to feel welcome AT ALL.

Fantastic Room, Dreadful Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Ontheballcity

Stayed here for one night on business, the rooms are fantastic, very well appointed, loved the split level layout. The roll top bath was exactly what I needed after a long day. The only slight niggle was that if you wanted to plug the fan in in the room, you had to unplug one of the other devices behind the minibar, let's just say that if the krypton factor was still around, this could easily have been one of the challenges on it! Location is very good, excellently located for all that goes on in Deansgate of an evening. This hotel's main problem are the staff, they don't seem to be massively compitent, while the butler service was fantastic, the front desk staff were woeful, not what I expected for a 5 star establishment!

DO NOT STAY HERE

by TripAdvisor Member RobinBaby

The service at this hotel is the WORST I have ever had - and I have stayed in a lot of hotels, of all different levels, in many different countries. Truly awful, for any class hotel, and certainly for one at this level. MANY problems, the most dramatic of which was my final bill. I have never had so many problems. They were supposed to fax a third party authorization form to a colleague and it was never received, and they failed to alert me that they never heard back until when i was checking out and so I had to put a large bill on my credit card which I wasn't anticipating. They charged me for 14 toll free calls which the in room guest book said would be at no cost; mysterious charges appeared on my creedit card and they charged me for a minibar charge I never made. And it took me DAYS on the phone to speak to someone with any authority and DAYS waiting to hear back from them. BAD BAD BAD.

I also never got two messages that were left on my room voicemail, a handwritten note under my door didnt mention the time the message was left (when someone no longer trusted the voicemail system); the heat was too hot or too cold with no real way to change it except on or off, there wer eno extra plugs in the room. Etc etc. I've never written a review before but this experience promoted me to do so. They just had no understanding of customer service - even after I (in frustration) pointed out that they were losing a potential long term guest and would be mentioned in every travels guide I could find online, about all the problems - some of which stemming over small amounts (they point blank refused to credit me back the 2£ish minibar charge after i had a bill that totalled nearly 1100£. STAY AWAY if you have any desire for even mediocre customer service.

Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, UK.Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, UK.

Dave with BarneyDave with Barney

John Rylands LibraryJohn Rylands Library

Leics looking Mysterious and MischievousLeics looking Mysterious and Mischievous

transportation to Holmfirth

by oregonfolk

We will be arriving in Manchester from the United States in late June. After spending a night to take in the Imperial War Museum North, we will be heading to Holmfirth. Is there rail and/or bus service to Holmfirth? We have heard that the only way there is by taxi.

Your replies are appreciated.

by leics

This page has a journey planner for Yorkshire travel. Seems entirely possible to get to Holmfirth without paying for a taxi.

by Britannia2

Leics is correct - you do not need a taxi unless of course you have heavy luggage. There is train every 15 minutes from Manchester to Huddersfield (look at www.transpenninexpress.co.uk) and then there is a very good bus service from Huddersfield to Holmfirth. It is route 309 and it takes 30 minutes - the timetable is at http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/yorkhumber/halihudd/timetables/timetable.php?day=1&source_id=2&operator=Halifax%20&%20Huddersfield&op_id=12&area=&service=309/310/311/312/313/314/3&routeid=1092948
This is a very scenic part of Yorkshire and Holmfirth is the setting for a popular BBC comedy called Last of the Summer Wine.

by briwire

As stated, there is no need for a taxi. Regular trains from Manchester Picadilly to Huddersfiels, about 30 minutes, Then a bus from there to Holmfirth. Its a nice place up in the hills. Typical Yorkshire hill country. Hope the waether is nice, cos they get a lot of rain.

I was a bit disappointed with the war museum, it's not a patch on the one in London. It's a though they are afraid of glorifying war. If you are interested in flight, have a look at the air and space museum in the city centre. Plenty of planes on show and nextdoor is the science and industry museum. Lots of working steam engines from the old mills, some of them are massive.

Comments