Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cheap but Extra Charges

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 14, 2015

This former Travelodge is now the Holiday Inn Express. The architecture is reminiscent of the Soviet Union - it devoid of any interest. The rooms are reasonable in size and amenities (a TV and a shower), and there is a free breakfast (buffet style). But ...

The elevators are quite small - hardly room for Bob and I together. With luggage we had to go separately.

There are charges for the airport shuttle (£5 each person) and for £5 parking in their parking lot

We stayed here twice. The first time I made the reservation through Booking.com and the rate was £59. They charged my credit card with an open charge and then when we checked out, they mis-keyed the expiration date which got the card blocked. So I had the original charge on my first credit card for $57.71 (£39) and an additional charge on the second card for £59 (or $91 US).

We made an additional reservation not through Booking.com and this time we were charged $184.48 (£125) for the room and dinner. The man who checked us in deliberately folded the paper over when I signed so that I would not see that the room rate was now £86. When I asked, the hotel would not acknowledge the first charge for £39 at all and their excuse for an additional £27 charge for the room was

"The rate at the hotel change on a day to day basis depending on the day and how many rooms we have left or if there is something going on in Manchester, the rate is always higher at the beginning of the week and cheaper towards the end."

This is opposite to what I have always found with hotel rates.

Also the second time we stayed there, the wi-fi kept cutting me off after 20 minutes until finally it refused to let me log on as it said the free time had expired. They had to send a guy up to the room to fix the problem. He gave me a different password to fix the problem. So I conclude that not only did they overcharge me deliberately, but also deliberately gave me a wrong password

johngayton's Profile Photo

Half a Mile From The Airport? HA!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 26, 2008

UPDATE APRIL 2015 - It seems this is now a Holiday Inn Express. At least Holiday Inn no longer claim it's only half a mile from the airport (according to them it's 1.9 miles) but it is still not exactly walking distance.

Updated website below.

Travelodges are Travelodges and as hotels go they always provide a comfortable bed and are cheap. Here at Manchester Airport the hotel was fine, service was fine and everything was exactly as to be expected EXCEPT for the fact that it is nowhere near the airport!

When I booked this the website said it was 0.5 miles from the airport and that was the basis I booked it on (and it was cheap) thinking that as I was travelling light I could just walk there and back having arranged to meet a special friend off her flight in the morning.

Yes it is half-a-mile from the airport, but only as the crow flies, with the actual road distance being a good three or four miles. There is a regular shuttle service at a cost of 5 GBP per person which takes about 20 minutes but if there are two of you you are better off getting a taxi which is only about 6 pounds and takes about 10 minutes.

Unique Quality: Sorry no outstanding characteristics apart from being cheap and I'll give this one a miss next time.

Directions: On the outskirts of the airport but nowhere near the terminals and a couple of miles by road (easy to access from the motorway though!).

leplaya's Profile Photo

Nice, cheap place to stay at the airport

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 3, 2006

This is a basic, clean hotel with fairly new facilities. The hotel is about 2 miles from the Airport and has all the basics (you can ask for more, but it might cost extra). For 28 pounds for a family room that fits 4 people, this is the one place in the UK that I didn't feel like I was overpaying.

Unique Quality: The rooms include a TV and there a restaurant/bar at the hotel. There are shuttles to the airport but they cost 3 pounds a person. A taxi ride from the airport is 5 pounds.

Nearby Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport

Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport

• Travel Lodge Manchester
  • Manchester Travelodge
  • Manchester Travel Lodge
  • Travelodge Manchester Airport

Address: Runger Lane, Olympic House, Manchester, Greater Manchester, WA15 8XW, United Kingdom

7 Photos of Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport

• Restaurant
  • Wheelchair Accessible

Manchester Travel Forum

Need advice about Manchester, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Manchester and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Manchester hotel reviews

Taurus
Cafe Istanbul
Earth Vegetarian Cafe & Juice Bar
Restaurants
Nive vegan soup and afternoon tea
Real Chinese
The Roman Fort
War Museum on the quayside
MOSI- Museum of Science and Industry
Things to Do
St Mary's- The Hidden Gem!
Things to Do
Great place to see highly acclaimed plays!
Museum of Science and Industry