Ibis Manchester City Centre

Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
Booking.com Hotels.com Agoda.com

• Lochlann's Profile Photo

perfect location

This is our first choice when we need to spend a night in town. Perfectly situated in the centre, in close proximity to some of our favourite restaurants and theatre.
    The view is not great, and the rooms just functional, but you get exactly what you expect for a reasonable (uk) price of £57.
    And we never had problems to ask for more tea bags or pilows...
    Don't forget to book quite in advance for week-ends, as a lot of people do like us, to go out and stay one night!

Unique Quality: The best quality is the convenience for the price. And there is a car park right under it (£15 the night, though, at week-ends, unless you leave before 9am. )It's the Q Piazza.

Directions: From the south, take Oxford Street, and the next right after the Oxford Street station and the Palace theatre. Take first left then first right to reach the entrance of the car park, which is the same as for the Novotel.

• Plenty new standard options

In anticipation of the increased tourist trade because of the Commonwealth Games and Manchester's improving profile, the number of city centre hotel rooms has about doubled in the past 5 years.

Unique Quality: If you're looking for something cheap and cheerful, a step above the youth hostel but with less character (and fewer characters) then the likes of Ibis, Travel Lodge, etc can be found on Portland Street. Prices start at 40 pounds per double room per night.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Centrally Located!

This hotel is fairly new and quite nice, the rooms are a decent size, double beds, interesting bathroom (it's almost round) and there is tea/coffee making facilities in the room, though no biscuits provided :-(
    My big recommendation would be to ask for a room that's not facing Portland St as the noise level is very high. The windows do nothing to block out the sounds. I slept with earplugs for 3 nights before finally requesting a different room.
    If you can't be guaranteed a room away from the street then I would not book a room here. I'm going to tell the hotel that, it's my only complaint but it's a big one.

Unique Quality: There's a restaurant/bar in the main lobby and snacks are available 24hrs a day, which is nice, though not good for a low budget. There's a tv in the bar as well as some small couches where you can read the newspaper.

Directions: Near the corner of Princess and Portland St, beside the Novetel Hotel.

More about Ibis Manchester City Centre

clean and central hotel

by jhorsfield30 about IBIS Manchester central

Booked as a last minute for £49, through accorhotels.com. This was the usual fare from ibis, smaller than most i've stayed in,, the shower was nice and bathroom/toilet split as from a french design hotel.
Its just up the road from chinatown and across the way from the novotel, which you can use their gym is you are staying at the ibis,, according to reception..
Room was a little warm when I stayed, everything worked fine,, Location, quiet on the top floors, friendly staff, no fuss

Stay Elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member alexsarah145

Dont stay here

Manchestre has so many better hotels,

Its Noisy, grubby, small rooms and staff that look like they would rather be out clubbing than serveing guests

Dont stay there

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Bobster2006

Not sure if the person who wrote that this was a noisy, grubby hotel with rude staff actually stayed in the same hotel.

We found the hotel to be excellent value for money.

Rooms were spotless. Bathroom fine with a good shower. Air conditioning in room. We did stay at the back of the hotel therefore there may possibly be noise from the street for guests staying there.

Great location, walking distance to everything. 4.95 for breakfast, which we didn't have as it was not a hot breakfast. There is a Subway shop right next door. Bus 43 from the airport passes by the hotel every ten minutes.

I found the staff to be very friendly, request for extra pillows answered in less than 2 minutes by a knock on ther door, request for ice again answered in less than a few minutes.

And the bed was very comfortable - the only thing I could fault the hotel on was the automatic air freshners in the hallways. They are either on too high a setting or the fragrance needs toned down a bit. They are overpowering.

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member Miss_teeq

I was shocked, and I'm glad I was only staying for one night.
Walked into the room, checked the bathroom and there was pubic hair in the shower, and, the shower was broken, it did not stay on the holder and fell down everytime you shut the bathroom door. Everytime the toilet flushed it made a right rackett for at least a minute.
I was getting worried because we were due to travel to London very early the next day, and we were staying in the Ibis Euston down there. I was starting to doubt my decision of chosing Ibis to stay in.
Then we started to hear noises in the room from somewhere in the hotel. My partner and myself went down to ask what the noise was and when it would be finished, and the very rude guy behind the reception told me, "They're doing some security stuff it will be finished by 4pm, would you prefer it if they did the work at night?" I asked very nicely and it didn't warrent the reply I got.
We headed out and came back and got really dirty looks from the girl behind reception.
Decided to have an early night as we had to be up for 5am, pulled back the covers and I found a pubic hair in the bed!!!
I didn't sleep most of the night, the room made my skin crawl, my partner wasn't impressed either, I couldn't wait to get out of the place!!

The Ibis Euston on the other hand was amazing!!!

Love this hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member zootys

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for a weekend in Manchester and we were not disappointed.

Before setting off I rang to ask when our room would be ready and was happily informed that it would be ready around 12 noon, which is a good improvement on many hotels 3pm check in. Also, as we were leaving at the weekend there was an extended check-out time, and so we didn't have to leave until 12 noon.

Customer service was excellent. Due to late booking we originally reserved a smoking room (both non-smokers so not our preferred choice) but on arrival we were informed that there was a non-smoking room available and were asked if we would like to change to that one. Fantastic!

Our room was clean and modern. Tea and coffee making facilities were available, with a variety of drinks, and the stock was replenished when our room was serviced.

The bar downstairs was very nice, the prices were as you would expect for a hotel bar, and the surroundings were pleasurable. There are plenty of bars and places to eat surrounding the hotel, mainly due to the close proximity to the city centre.

Overall it was a trouble-free stay and we will definitely use this hotel again, great value for it's location and service.

Great staff clean rooms

by TripAdvisor Member Fledermaus

Stayed here for two nights recently

following some poor stays at the Britannia Hotel up the road

This is a small hotel but the welcome I received was large and very friendly

One thing I am always grateful for is access to a computer
and there is a pay per minute one in the business area of the
reception.

Food drinks and snacks are available throughout the day with a
limited service overnight, still good for those later arrival hunger pangs

The number 3 bus from Piccadilly station drops you right outside
although its a 15 min walk if you havent too much luggage
It is also close to Oxford Rd station about 10 mins

There area plethora of buffets across the road safe enough to
pop across for lone travellers and handily a pub on the corner

I found a great sandwich shop just up the road which did hot breakfast food if you wanted something more than the cold
buffet and the Subway sandwich chain is next door

The rooms are basic with few frills but adequate for most needs
Internet access is also available. I guess you either love or hate
the cubicle bathrooms I thought they were fine and also the shower was large. The loo did make a weird noise but I guess this might be the mascerator who knows.

I was pleased that I did not hear the people next door or their bathroom

Check out and in was efficient despite having a complicated
billing requirement

I will be staying again

For the cost, I'm satisfied

by TripAdvisor Member Sulla

I stayed at the Manchester Ibis on Portland St. twice, once at the beginning of my trip, and once at the end, the next weekend. The staff were polite, if not overly friendly, and they were very concerned with pleasing me as they have a policy that if you make a complaint and it's not solved for you within 15 minutes they will cover the cost of your night's stay.

The room was satisfactorally tidy and the bathroom clean. The bed however was rather uncomfortable (a spring-less mattress on a solid pedestal, no box-spring), but that was my only problem. The coffee in the room was nice to have, there was a working remote for the TV which had 13 channels, and the shower was hot and powerful. I had no problem with noise - both times I was in a room that overlooked a quiet courtyard away from the street, and I heard nothing from the hall even though it was a match weekend. The rooms are sparsely furnished, but very functional.

My only real issue was with the hotel's restaurant. The breakfast cost far too much for what you get, and the food served in the evenings was sub-standard. After one god-awful burger the first night, I bought all my meals at the local Marks and Spencer's Simply Food and brought them back and ate in my room, or I ate out at off-site restaurants.

Checkout was easy, and they have a locked room for luggage so you can leave bags safely with them if you have time to waste between checkout time and your flight. The location right downtown is perfect too. Overall, I would be happy to stay there again.

Comments