Isis Hotel and Restaurant

390-392 Bolton Road, Swinton, Manchester, M27 8UX, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Average

More about Manchester

Food, El Rincon de Rafa restaurant, Manchester, UKFood, El Rincon de Rafa restaurant, Manchester, UK

My Newe friend SpidermissMy Newe friend Spidermiss

Queen Victoria's Consort, Manchester Town HallQueen Victoria's Consort, Manchester Town Hall

St Anns ChurchSt Anns Church

One way car hire

Hello,
I am looking for a car/van hire company that will rent us a car to drive from the UK to Spain and allow us to leave the vehicle there. I have tried Avis, Hertz & Europecar, but they do not offer this service. Has anyone ever done this and can they recommend a company ???
Thanks....Sue

by leics

I think you'll find it easier to get the Eurostar (or ferry) to France and hire a car there.

by johnaalex

I agree with the other reply, especially as any car hired in England will be right hand drive whereas in mainland Europe you are better off with a left hand drive.

John

by windcity

Thanks for your suggestions but it is more complicated because we want to ship a car load of possessions and to hire a man with a van costs £95 + Vat per cubic mtr. It will not be possible to carry this amount of chattels with us on Eurostar or cost effective with any airline,
Any other suggestions will be welcomed.
Thanks....Sue

by OiKnow

Your best bet might be to plan a round trip and return the rental in England. Be sure to check on driving the rental outside of the UK (insurance and such.)

DG

by leics

To be honest, even taking a hire car to Europe is problematical.

Ireland is usually ok (though you have to make arrangements), Europe is a different matter.

by windcity

I can't see why it should be problematic, We are used to driving on either side of the road as we live in Morocco and have driven in many countries without a hitch. The plan is to drive our chattels to a friends place in Spain, then head down to Essaouira to pick up our car, then drive back up to Spain to collect our things, so taking the car back to the UK is not really an option. We will probably end up buying a cheap vehicle here for the journey, and as it will be a left hand drive car, have to dump it in Spain (Ceuta)
However if we find someone making the journey to the South of Spain in a largish car or van we would be happy to pay expenses etc...
How does that sound ????

by windcity

You may wonder why we can't buy a car in the UK to drive to Morocco, but as we are Moroccan residents we can-not take a car into Morocco without paying import duty, which is currently 83% of the value of a new car...Strange but true

by leics

I meant it would be problematic in terms of hiring a car to take abroad from the UK, let alone a one-way rental.

Travel Tips for Manchester

I just found this pic, this...

by caprice4u2

I just found this pic, this was me when I was in my first band in Manchester 1989, check out my natural hair colour ;-)

Go to the car boot sales on Sunday mornings EARLY!

Im a complete rummage freak and am always at the car boot sale..... in my dreams! however the reality is that I am too lazy to get up, so I miss them...

... Not when Im in Sheffield though,(where the car boot sales are fab cos my mum lives in a village, so its less commercial) ...

...oh no, my mum has a special device that catapults me out of bed and into my clothes at 7am prompt (you know like in Wallace and Gromit), mums eh, can't beat em.

Anyway, car boots...buy the Manchester Evening News and look in the whats on section...and hey, presto, you will find out where they are.

If you are looking for a job buy the Manchester Evening News on a Thursday (also the day for accomodation notices).

oooh...Having my babies... 3 of

Doing a gig at the Hacienda (Im a singer), and laying claim to having been to every cool club possible from the age of 21 when I came here, although I was clubbing from aged 14! and becoming an outrageous social animal.

Evolving into a single parent a strong minded, no mess chick who can do anything, sometimes eccentric, sometimes reclusive and always smiling..I also (as an artist-Sculptor) was involved in a number of exhibitions here, throughout England and in US.

Managed to get my Masters degree by some bizarre fluke, as I confess to never having attended a lecture, spending four weeks in Greece, instead of in my studio at Uni... making art on the beach..Of course, well they believed me.. but I did produce a 'wicked' show of my work..though I say so myself ;-)

The Civil War

by Balam

During the Civil War Manchester was one of very few towns in Lancashire to support Parliament against King Charles I. Indeed it bears the dubious distinction of claiming the first casualty of the whole war. In a melee on Market Street in 1642 Richard Percival, linen weaver, was shot dead. In September of the same year Lord Strange, in command of between 3,000 and 4,000 Royalists attacked the town along Deansgate and across Salford Bridge (the Town Hall Mural shown depicts this assault). When Strange had demanded that the town give up its store of gunpowder and its weapons, he received the reply that he would get "nothing, not even a rusty dagger". The defenders were led by Robert Bradshaw and William Radcliffe under advice from Colonel Rosworm, a German Mercenary. At the battle's height two barns caught fire, the smoke of which caused confusion. As the smoke cleared it became clear that the assault had failed. Strange lifted the siege on 1st October. As a consequence of the victory Parliament gave the town its first MP. The new representative was one of the local Parliamentarian gentry: Sir Charles Worsley from Platt Hall in Fallowfield. When a vengeful monarchy was restored in 1660 Manchester's support for Parliament was remembered and it lost its MP. It didn't get one back until 1832.

speed tourism...

by iaint

You've heard of speed dating and speed networking... How about speed tourism?
I've been doing it for years.

Jog around the area and spot things to come back to see later.

I did it in Manchester. 50 minutes jogging starting from the hotel, and just following the signs. Past the Manchester Utd ground and round Salford Quays.

It was fun. The weather was dry and partly sunny, but cool, so excellent for running. It was Sunday morning so the roads were quiet (it was 6am when I started!) and much of the trip was on car free pedestrian areas anyway.

Felt great afterwards, and boy did I enjoy my breakfast. Trainers, shorts and the previous day's t-shirt...

Salford Museum

by tvor

Salford is an old historic city, very working class, housing the employees from the many mills and factories that were in the area. The museum is really nice, too, with exhibits and a Victorian replica street called Lark Hill Place with lots of storefronts and "house" fronts where you can look through the window and see rooms and shops set up. There's a local history library and temporary exhibits. Best of all, it's free!

It's not too far to walk from the city centre or take the number 36 bus from central Manchester and it's next to the Salford Crescent rail station. If you drive, there's free parking. Also on site is a cafe and very tiny gift shop and it's on Peel Park and the University of Salford campus. It's disabled accessible as well.

The alternative

by monkeyfeesh about Affleck's Palace

The infamous Affleck's Palace opened its doors in 1982. It's been a haven and a focus for independent and alternative shops ever since. There are around 50 units inside the four-storey building. It's a mish-mash of clothes shops, record shops, jewellery shops - pretty much anything and everything is fair game there. Don't rely on the website's list of shops. It's still wishing everyone a happy 2002. I quite like some of the retro clothes shops, but it's hard to pick anything out in particular - if you like your alternative lifestyle type stuff you can find pretty much everything you could want here. Even if you couldn't care less about "alternative" lifestyles, you should be able to find plenty to interest you here. I'd focus more on the clothes shops in here really - there are better independent record shops elsewhere. Depends entirely on what you want to buy - generally not too pricey.

Comments